Tier 1 Strike fighter load out discussion

needalight

Hey guys, it's been about a week of GSF and I figure might as well start fielding advice on load outs.

By Tier 1 I am referring to the FT-8 Star Guard, the F-T6 Rycer, and TZ-24 Enforcer / Gladiator.

I currently use the following load out:

Primary Weapon 1: Ion Cannon

Primary Weapon 2: Rapid-Fire Laser Cannon

Secondary Weapon: Concussion Missiles

Shield: Quick-Charge Shield

Engine: Retro Thrusters

Capacitor: Frequency Capacitor

Magazine: Regeneration Extender

Reactor: Large Reactor

Thrusters: Power Thrusters

How have you guys been building your Tier 1 Strike fighter? I am curious and open for suggestions.

Hey guys, it's been about a week of GSF and I figure might as well start fielding advice on load outs.

By Tier 1 I am referring to the FT-8 Star Guard, the F-T6 Rycer, and TZ-24 Enforcer / Gladiator.

I currently use the following load out:

Primary Weapon 1: Ion Cannon

Primary Weapon 2: Rapid-Fire Laser Cannon

Capacitor: Frequency Capacitor

Reactor: Large Reactor

Thrusters: Power Thrusters

How have you guys been building your Tier 1 Strike fighter? I am curious and open for suggestions.

Right now, I am thinking that Heavy Laser/Rapid Fires is actually a good build. The Star Guard can therefore load powerful long range firepower, while still have something very useful for knife-fighting.

When bombers come around, and perhaps for gunship hunting, the ion-cannon/quad laser combo might be better, but for now I think heavy/rapid-fires is a good combo.

I use the dual blasters instead of the ion cannon myself.

I also bought the proton torpedo's and the reduction on the missile lock for them, because they have longer range, but I've since switched back to concussion now that I have a few more upgrades on them. They seem to hit much harder than the protons and the strike fighters seem best in close quarters so range isn't 'usually' an issue.

Other than that I pretty much powered up whatever else it came with stock. It seemed good enough to me.

Edited by Ridickilis

Right now, I am thinking that Heavy Laser/Rapid Fires is actually a good build. The Star Guard can therefore load powerful long range firepower, while still have something very useful for knife-fighting.

That's actually the same thing I use on my Rycer.

When bombers come around, and perhaps for gunship hunting, the ion-cannon/quad laser combo might be better, but for now I think heavy/rapid-fires is a good combo.

I'm glad you said that because I'm actually really on the fence over using Heavy vs Ion. Both are sitting at rank 2 upgrades in their respective tree and I can't decide which one to proceed with.

I think the question is more whether you want to be a rounded heavy assault platform or a utility support. The Ion cannons are best used for stopping opponents from getting away and fighting back. Solo I would probably go with the heavy lasers, group play with the ion guns. Or build a missle centric concept and use the ion guns to keep opponents from breaking locks.

I think the question is more whether you want to be a rounded heavy assault platform or a utility support. The Ion cannons are best used for stopping opponents from getting away and fighting back. Solo I would probably go with the heavy lasers, group play with the ion guns. Or build a missle centric concept and use the ion guns to keep opponents from breaking locks.

Hmm I better go double check the ion guns again, I had mistakenly thought they were just for taking out shields, I didn't know they also disabled ships.

Edited by Ridickilis

Heavy lasers are pretty useful I find due to the extended range and they are one of the two lasers cannons you can get that has 18% shield piercing on the final tier of upgrades. This makes them one of the deadliest laser cannons once you get the final tier of upgrades.

Hmm I better go double check the ion guns again, I had mistakenly thought they were just for taking out shields, I didn't know they also disabled ships.

I think they do some additional damage to enemy power systems (enhanced further with the tier 4 and 5 upgrades), so while not fully disabling (i.e. stunning) them, it'll reduce their damage output and boost capability.

My personal fave Strike loadout at the moment is: Ion, Heavy Laser, Cluster Rockets, Bi-directional Shield, Retro-boosters.

The quick lock-on of the Cluster is great for panicking enemies, and can be acquiring while I'm stripping their shields with the Ion. Once the shields are down, unleash the Cluster, switch to Heavy Laser (for range) as they try to speed away. (Heavy Laser also means at least I've got some kind of mid-range capability as well, in the 5-6K distance).

Bi-directional shields are great when I remember to use them correctly. Switch them to forward-mode when assaulting a satellite head on to easily be able to strip 2 turrets down with minimal damage sustained, then boost away and take advantage of the 3 sec recharge delay, to quickly come back fully topped up again. (I've gone for regen speed energy module to get me back to full more quickly). They come in handy when getting a tail as well - switch to rear mode while waiting for an engine cooldown or whatever, then disengage. Or better yet use retro's to get behind them and start blasting away (don't forget to switch shield back to both sides though!).

I think the question is more whether you want to be a rounded heavy assault platform or a utility support. The Ion cannons are best used for stopping opponents from getting away and fighting back.

I thought the main purpose of ion cannons was to strip away your opponent's shields then you switch over to one of the other primary weapons to do hull damage. What do you mean by using them to stop opponents from getting away and fighting back?

I thought the main purpose of ion cannons was to strip away your opponent's shields then you switch over to one of the other primary weapons to do hull damage. What do you mean by using them to stop opponents from getting away and fighting back?

Ion weapons (Ion blasters, ion missles, ion rail) are supposed to also drain weapon and engine power on hit. Unfortunately even the enhanced tooltips don't tell us 'how much', and there's no way to set up a duel with someone to check (or a target dummy) to try to test it out. It is possible the ion blasters don't drain any at all until you get the fourth and fifth tier upgrade, though I suspect they do drain a small amount of power. Nothing compared to an ion railgun hit, but it's still the idea of multiple hits rather than a single hard strike.

Did u tried it out already? Because if you read the description of ion cannon, it says that it can easily disable enemy systems. Any notices there? Didn't played strike fighter yet.

As for the drain upgrades, drain 4 points doesn't make even sense if you can completely oneshot their shields. If I'm wrong, correct me please.

Edited by Avanael

Did u tried it out already? Because if you read the description of ion cannon, it says that it can easily disable enemy systems. Any notices there? Didn't played strike fighter yet.

It's really not clear if and how that works. When you get a few hits with ion cannons your copilot comments something along the lines of "enemy systems disabled". And of course the damage to shields is huge but these things come back quickly and there is a cooldown on primary weapon switching so you can't start hurting their hulls right away...

Great thread!

I'm trying out this loadout:

Primary Weapon 1: Quad Laser Cannon

Primary Weapon 2: Ion Cannon

Capacitor: Range Capacitor

Reactor: Turbo Reactor

Thrusters: Turning Thrusters

Today I was trying out an ion cannon, rapid fire, cluster missle weapons load out, I found it pretty effective.

Great thread!

I'm trying out this loadout:

Primary Weapon 1: Quad Laser Cannon

Primary Weapon 2: Ion Cannon

Capacitor: Range Capacitor

Reactor: Turbo Reactor

Thrusters: Turning Thrusters

I've been considering looking into the turning thrusters, would you say they make a noticeable difference?

Today I was trying out an ion cannon, rapid fire, cluster missle weapons load out, I found it pretty effective.

I've been considering looking into the turning thrusters, would you say they make a noticeable difference?

I use them and have them fully upgraded. According to ship stats it gives me pitch/yaw ratings just slightly below a default scout. Personally I'm very happy with them and the increased performance.