Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Why a 1.0 Player is Finally Leaving.

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion > Off-Topic
Why a 1.0 Player is Finally Leaving.

Kai-Del_Serromis's Avatar


Kai-Del_Serromis
07.17.2019 , 12:26 PM | #1
When cancelling my subscription a moment ago, I decided to put more than a simple, one word answer into the full description portion of my reasons. This post isn't meant to be whiny, nor is it meant to be a "Doomsday for SWTOR" message; I suppose this is just a roundabout way of saying I to SWTOR, "I love you, and I want to love you more, but you're making it too hard". And no, none of you can have my stuff; I already gave it all away.

I know this cancel subscription message is going to get lost in the masses, but I am going to put down my full reason in here just in case someone with some sort of influence actually sees this.

The reason I am leaving for FFXIV is certainly because all of my friends have moved to it, but it's also for a much larger reason. Put simply: This game is so far behind in content creation compared to other games. When MMOs like ESO and FFXIV release expansions like Elsweyr and Shadowbringers, respectively, how am I to stick with swtor when all it has released in the past year of any substance are two planets that are as small, if not smaller, than CZ?

I love swtor, I will ALWAYS love swtor; but it is now too far behind the content curve compared to other games. I desperately want to see this game's studio given the resources and manpower it needs to make this game great again, but I can't wait around bored out of my mind until that happens.

So do you want to know what the game needs more of? Crafting, Flashpoints, Live Events, Open World PVP Areas, Operations, Story Quests, and Warzones. It needs more of everything if it is to survive against game studios like Zenimax and Square who learn from their own mistakes. Farewell, and may the Force be with you.
Zijaa Morn, Loremaster of the Jedi Arcaneum
The Jedi Way is to Serve

Jdast's Avatar


Jdast
07.17.2019 , 12:39 PM | #2
Quote: Originally Posted by Kai-Del_Serromis View Post
When cancelling my subscription a moment ago, I decided to put more than a simple, one word answer into the full description portion of my reasons. This post isn't meant to be whiny, nor is it meant to be a "Doomsday for SWTOR" message; I suppose this is just a roundabout way of saying I to SWTOR, "I love you, and I want to love you more, but you're making it too hard". And no, none of you can have my stuff; I already gave it all away.

I know this cancel subscription message is going to get lost in the masses, but I am going to put down my full reason in here just in case someone with some sort of influence actually sees this.

The reason I am leaving for FFXIV is certainly because all of my friends have moved to it, but it's also for a much larger reason. Put simply: This game is so far behind in content creation compared to other games. When MMOs like ESO and FFXIV release expansions like Elsweyr and Shadowbringers, respectively, how am I to stick with swtor when all it has released in the past year of any substance are two planets that are as small, if not smaller, than CZ?

I love swtor, I will ALWAYS love swtor; but it is now too far behind the content curve compared to other games. I desperately want to see this game's studio given the resources and manpower it needs to make this game great again, but I can't wait around bored out of my mind until that happens.

So do you want to know what the game needs more of? Crafting, Flashpoints, Live Events, Open World PVP Areas, Operations, Story Quests, and Warzones. It needs more of everything if it is to survive against game studios like Zenimax and Square who learn from their own mistakes. Farewell, and may the Force be with you.
I take your point, but you could always do what I do. I haven't touched this game since May 20th, when ESO introduced Elsweyr. Well, truth be told, I did log in once to buy a sale item on the CM. With that said, I had no problem paying U.S. $45 over the summer so that the forums may benefit from my keen insight and pathbreaking forum posts. <<sips martini>>

No one (well, maybe you know who on this forum) will dispute that content release is behind other games. With that said, I can't think of any MMORPG that releases content faster than players can consume it.

But you are making this post two months (or so) before they release their first major new content update in years. It's not my place to tell you what to do, but my guess is it will probably be worth U.S. $15.

Bottom line: I don't think there is a problem with taking breaks from games and coming back when there is new content.

Regardless, best wishes, May the Force be with you.

Dasty

omaan's Avatar


omaan
07.17.2019 , 12:53 PM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by Kai-Del_Serromis View Post
When cancelling my subscription a moment ago, I decided to put more than a simple, one word answer into the full description portion of my reasons. This post isn't meant to be whiny, nor is it meant to be a "Doomsday for SWTOR" message; I suppose this is just a roundabout way of saying I to SWTOR, "I love you, and I want to love you more, but you're making it too hard". And no, none of you can have my stuff; I already gave it all away.

I know this cancel subscription message is going to get lost in the masses, but I am going to put down my full reason in here just in case someone with some sort of influence actually sees this.

The reason I am leaving for FFXIV is certainly because all of my friends have moved to it, but it's also for a much larger reason. Put simply: This game is so far behind in content creation compared to other games. When MMOs like ESO and FFXIV release expansions like Elsweyr and Shadowbringers, respectively, how am I to stick with swtor when all it has released in the past year of any substance are two planets that are as small, if not smaller, than CZ?

I love swtor, I will ALWAYS love swtor; but it is now too far behind the content curve compared to other games. I desperately want to see this game's studio given the resources and manpower it needs to make this game great again, but I can't wait around bored out of my mind until that happens.

So do you want to know what the game needs more of? Crafting, Flashpoints, Live Events, Open World PVP Areas, Operations, Story Quests, and Warzones. It needs more of everything if it is to survive against game studios like Zenimax and Square who learn from their own mistakes. Farewell, and may the Force be with you.
and they still continue pvp season to 6.0. expansion...pops for team ranked are totally dead and solo ranked pops are also dying with each weeks. Sometimes on high rating you can't even get a pop for 2 hours staying in queue because everyone already got all elo they wanted or quited for wow, FF or ESO. Why this another month and a half of suffering? I want fast pops lol

Tsillah's Avatar


Tsillah
07.17.2019 , 12:58 PM | #4
There is something I don't quite understand. You say that the game is way behind on some other games in releasing content. This is true and pretty much always has been true, so I'm definitely not disputing that.

But the point that other games bring out more content is irrelevant if that content is not enjoyable or you get bored with it more quickly. So my question to you, since you didn't quite explain that, what actually is the problem for you?

I mean, you've played the game for over 7 years. That's a long time. And what is causing you to come to this point now? Is it boredom? Or just the frustration that other games get more?

Realistically SWTOR had a terrible launch. About 80% of the population left in 3-6 months, double of what MMOs usually lose in that time period. Then it almost died and was resurrected with f2p and a cartel market that ended up being one of the worst lootbox gambling set-ups MMOs have seen and that for years really. Right from the first expansion it was clear that they could not match the expansion size of other MMOs and never did.

Now both FF XIV and ESO are doing a lot better than SWTOR. Admittedly they both failed initially but the difference is that those companies really did something about it whereas EA wasn't having that and BW was sticking their heads in the sand. Now, I do agree with you that there is something about SWTOR. It keeps bringing me back.

But when it comes to content releases SWTOR was never up to par and never will be. Is this just sinking in?

All in all, I get that other games get more content, but that by itself is not a reason to quit a game if you enjoy what it does put out. So I'm just trying to understand what brought you to this decision now I guess.
Referral link for some extras: http://www.swtor.com/r/jMVTyB

SaerethDL's Avatar


SaerethDL
07.17.2019 , 01:51 PM | #5
I can't say I don't agree. i've been playing eso and ff14 lately while my swtor sub has lapsed. But i will be back before or during 6.0. I will always love swtor but us veterans get burnt out doing the same things over and over. Doesn't seem like the sub is worth it anymore and hasn't been for a while.
Get a FREE server transfer, FREE 7 days subscription, FREE inventory slot upgrade and other FREE goodies! CLICK HERE update* if you use my referral link (as a subscriber) and are on Satele Shan send me a PM with the referral name you used and I will give you 1 Million Credits or more to get you started!

ZionHalcyon's Avatar


ZionHalcyon
07.17.2019 , 02:45 PM | #6
I forget where I read it, but one of the most major issues is with something BioWare hasn't come right out and stated, but apparently believe internally:

They are perfectly ok having a business model where players take a break and then come back.

I can't remember where I read it, but I remember reading that this was an official BioWare/EA mindset regarding the game.

And without outwardly stating that, it leads to a disconnect, where players don't want to take that break, but instead want content to keep them here, but the developers are ok with players leaving, counting on them to come back when major updates occur.

Can't say I agree with the BioWare business model, but if their hands are tied, not much can be done. The thing with Final Fantasy and ESO is they are run by the companies that own the product. In SWTOR's case, EA is the owner, BioWare is the producer - so BioWare doesn't have the freedom to scale up production like the other 2 entities do.

aerockyul's Avatar


aerockyul
07.17.2019 , 03:09 PM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by ZionHalcyon View Post
I forget where I read it, but one of the most major issues is with something BioWare hasn't come right out and stated, but apparently believe internally:

They are perfectly ok having a business model where players take a break and then come back.

I can't remember where I read it, but I remember reading that this was an official BioWare/EA mindset regarding the game.

And without outwardly stating that, it leads to a disconnect, where players don't want to take that break, but instead want content to keep them here, but the developers are ok with players leaving, counting on them to come back when major updates occur.

Can't say I agree with the BioWare business model, but if their hands are tied, not much can be done. The thing with Final Fantasy and ESO is they are run by the companies that own the product. In SWTOR's case, EA is the owner, BioWare is the producer - so BioWare doesn't have the freedom to scale up production like the other 2 entities do.
I remember that, too. I believe Eric admitted it in a gold post a while ago. Not only do they know that the game gets gobbled up by quick-to-unsub locusts, but a lot of their planning for future content is catered to those people almost directly in opposition to the people who stick around between content releases.
Keeya, Lill'ya, Ainyalah, Vaisis, Selauna, Maria Brink, Wrathiva
Kahntara, Kaytee'roxx, Leczee Eko'va, Misphire
Kharaava, Jaista, Katie Bee, Altheeka Referrals

Templock's Avatar


Templock
07.17.2019 , 03:46 PM | #8
What's the obsession with "new" content? What's wrong with the current content?

Chelan's Avatar


Chelan
07.17.2019 , 03:52 PM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by aerockyul View Post
I remember that, too. I believe Eric admitted it in a gold post a while ago. Not only do they know that the game gets gobbled up by quick-to-unsub locusts, but a lot of their planning for future content is catered to those people almost directly in opposition to the people who stick around between content releases.
That's good to know. I too have been thinking of taking a break until the release of Onslaught. Maybe I'm just not a long term MMO player though I've already played for several months this year.

I've recently bought some collectible lightsabers and ever since I haven't had the same motivation to log in and play. So, that's been filling my Star Wars needs. Maybe I just don't like the sound/look of my main character's lightsaber. The one I'm actually swinging around seems more enticing.

Now for what I'd like implemented (rather than what is stated in the OP) is a random mission generator.

Let's say they put in a terminal on a planet. You go to this terminal, maybe pick a few options and voila the game creates an objective (perhaps in an instance) with most likely a bunch of enemies to fight and a boss type at the end. Maybe you can even pick the enemies in the mission. It could be droids, troopers, gangsters, Force-users, Mandalorians, creatures - you name it. There could also be different types of missions, maybe they're not all just murder simulators.

Infinite Star Wars content for the locusts.

ZionHalcyon's Avatar


ZionHalcyon
07.17.2019 , 03:55 PM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by Templock View Post
What's the obsession with "new" content? What's wrong with the current content?
When you've been playing the game non-stop from the beginning, you've played all the current content to death. Therefore something new is always appreciated.