Mission BUG - Taris: Bonus Series

Frost_D

• 3 months later...
  • Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The year 2018.

Bug in Taris Bonus Series still exists in the Galaxy far far away.

:mad::mad::mad:

I mean, this bug shouldn't be so hard to fix. Either combine all required quests into one chain or make proper checking of [if]'s, so if the quest was completed prior to the stage in the Taris: Bonus Series it would check as completed.

Edited by Hash_ashin

It should work like with planetary story quest chain. If one quest chain (the purple ones) was done before it directs to receive such quest, it automatically finishes after short speach with quest giver. The same should be with bonus series after early finishining quest before directing.

Interesting thing. They will fix some bug with bonus series in Imps Belsavis. Question is now - will it refer just to this one chain which looks quite similar to this with resetting or doing some quest chain before it has beginning. Or will it fix all these bugs with bonus series where everywhere can happen? Anyway it seems they at last looked into these bugs.

Interesting thing. They will fix some bug with bonus series in Imps Belsavis. Question is now - will it refer just to this one chain which looks quite similar to this with resetting or doing some quest chain before it has beginning. Or will it fix all these bugs with bonus series where everywhere can happen? Anyway it seems they at last looked into these bugs.

Depends. The patch notes aren't clear about the bug being fixed there: do they mean completing "Scientific Endeavours" before starting "Belsavis Reborn", or do they mean that the bonus series doesn't work even if you do it correctly? (If the latter, then the bugs being described here are still open everywhere, sadly.)

They did?! You have proof? Please post it in the main thread! I hope they will fix all the bonus series at once.

Edited by Tofu_Shark

Players who complete the Scientific Endeavors Mission on Belsavis will no longer be blocked from completing Belsavis Reborn. That is how it written in patch notes but how it works I don`t know. We have to see is it works like we would like too

• 2 months later...

This is the second time this happens on my character and it seems to be mainly an issue on Republic side bonus series. It appears some bonus series are supposed to run synchronously while you are on the planet while others are merely an addition after you are done. This seems to be a very non-intuitive design as is and those synchronous quests shouldn't be categorized as "bonus" at a all while others should have their quest givers designated as "Bonus" beneath the name of their quest givers similar to the story arcs. This would probably prevent breaking of quests. It also seems that - on the backend side - there seems to be no tracking of whether a quest has been done or not in order to auto-continue. That this is possible can be seen on Imperial side on Belsavis where more often than not you accidentally complete an objective but will get a confirmation of that once you trigger the relative quest object.

Any way this is an old issue and not a critical one to begin with but usually, as a developer, when you have a bucket list you eventually end up fixing things once it affects the experience of your customers.

• 5 months later...
Here it is 2018 now and the bug is still there. It's total BS that you have to do the Taris: Bonus Series alongside the class missions. Something I'm sure many new players are not aware of.

It's a little sad that after all this time, you haven't described the bug correctly.

The bonus series consists of a master mission that tells you to do a series of "component" missions. The bug is in three parts:

* The master mission is blocked until you finish the class story segment on the planet (and level 60 on planets after Pub Taris / Imp Balmorra).

* The component missions can be collected and completed before you have finished the class story segment.

* The master mission does not recognise that you have done so, nor does it let you do them again.

So no, you must in fact NOT do the component missions alongside the class missions. The bug is that you *CAN* do that.

• 7 months later...
2019 and a returning player after many years away. I ran into this one. Oops. I'm not sure if I should leave that mission in my tracker or not. I did file a support ticket a couple days ago, though, so I'm waiting to hear back on that. I'm a completionist, so if it blocks me from getting any achievements for completing areas, I'm going to be sad. :( Edited by FirePuff

2019 and a returning player after many years away. I ran into this one. Oops. I'm not sure if I should leave that mission in my tracker or not. I did file a support ticket a couple days ago, though, so I'm waiting to hear back on that. I'm a completionist, so if it blocks me from getting any achievements for completing areas, I'm going to be sad. :(

I can confirm that unless CS agrees to remove the mission, you're stuck with it, and you're going to be sad.

I refer you to this post by Kryptonomic, who worked as a SWTOR QA back in the day:

Actually, the fix is easy in this case. The quest chains are stored in the database via flags. The problem with this particular quest chain is that the subsequent series of quests are available before the first in the series is done. This is because the flag in the database is not set to indicate the quests are dependent quests. So they all show up at once, rather than dependent on which one has been completed. Literally flipping that flag would fix the issue.

This was brought up during actual testing (not user testing) years ago. Bioware simply didn't fix it. Part of the reason for the lack of fix was because at that time the bonus series missions were gated by your level and as long as people didn't overlevel, this issue could be considered mitigated a bit. That became less true as they made leveling so much quicker.

The reason it wasn't fixed after even that is because it was known the bonus series elements were going to be deprioritized. From an in-game perspective, that entailed moving quest givers to the fleet (which actually wouldn't have mitigated this issue). The bonus series were seen now as getting in the way of getting players to later content and the work they were prioritizing more.

Perhaps ironically, the quest chain system is actually one of the areas where the dev team doesn't have tight coupling and low cohesion in the code base.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

geht mir ähnlich, hab molas quest gemacht dann macks nach abschluss gabs noch questbelohnung aber der nächste teil wird nicht angezeigt, nach abbruch bei mack habe ich neu gestartet und hänge jetzt bei mola fest.

schön wäre es wenn jemand mal alle teile auflistet die es gibt auf taris, und anderen planeten, so das man vielleicht indirekt weiterkommt ohne auf die reihenfolge zu achten, am ende muss ja irgendwann der parameter alle subquests erlegt und alle anforderungen erfüllt bei neuannahme dazu führen das man direkt abgeben kann, da das questlog ja begrenzt ist, lösche ich öfter quests, die ich meist noch gar nicht angefangen habe, oder welche nicht lösbar sind. ich finds halt sehr schade das man relativ viel geld zahlt (andere bekannte spiele sind überwiegend deutlich günstiger, hab noch keins gehen wo ich über 10 Euro bei monatlicher abbuchung komme) liegt vielleicht auch daran, das man als ehemaliger Abonnent vorteile behält. Kann mir vorstellen, das einige 1-2 monate abo kaufen. dann das abo wieder kündigen nur wegen einigen vorteilen. ich sage kein abo keine vorteile. ehemaliges abo einfach nur behandeln als wenn man kartellmünzen gekauft hat

Edited by abrusoft

• 2 months later...

Hey folks! Thanks for the posts in this thread. We're currently working on fixing this issue, and we'll talk more about it when we have it ready for an upcoming release.

Since you are working on fixing this issue, would you happen to know how to finish this yet? It's been 4 months now.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Just ran into this.

I'm pretty furious about it. Especially seeing that this has been a problem for this long.

I was already sick of the level design on Taris. The way they make you just wander back and forth constantly crossing the same areas over and over again... makes me sick. It got so boring and so transparent that they were just wasting my time and making the game take longer with nothing but aimless travel. I almost unsubbed.

After slogging through it anyway, getting to the end of the quests, I get to the bonus series. Aaaaannnd can't complete it!!!

So after dragging that **** out for THAT long, they can't even be bothered to make sure the quests work??

Dude, this has to be a civil case with some class merit at this point. How many players have been affected by this and lost a massive amount of time only to find out it wasn't worth trying to complete the planet??

At what point should devs run into class-action legal problems for not fixing their games???

This has been a known bug for YEARS and YEARS. As a programmer, I know for a fact this would take a very small amount of time to craft a workaround for if it could not easily be fixed outright. it wouldn't even be hard to fix, something as simple as a warning added to the text of the quest that you need to wait to complete would do it.

It's just pure negligence at this point.

• 3 weeks later...