Name changes

chris_rw

• Replies 832
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was on Harbringer, and stayed on Harbringer with the server merges. Since I didn't move, why does it say I have to change my names?

Same here...

My character's home was on Prophecy of the Five. I log in today and it says I have to change my name. Why do I have to change my name when I was not the one who had moved?

Not sure why I am being asked to change my character's name...

Maybe it's asking you if you want to change your legacy name? They are no longer unique so they said everyone would be given the opportunity to change it when they logged in if they wanted.

No, it's very obvious when your character needs a name change. The name is red and there is an exclamation point next to it.

The person who now has MY name, is a level 50. My character whose name was stolen is only 16, and has been around two weeks.

When I first transferred into Harbinger, I lost the name on my level 50 to a level 1. This change in name policy is infuriating.

Edited by Kirazy

I have no idea how it works. I have four characters, created the same day on the same server. Three of them have to change, the other doesn't.

edited to add for clarity: All created pre launch, but at this point the one I got to keep was near 50, and the others were 20 and below. That's what I get for being a slow player. :p

Edited by lornalove
clarity and typos

Same here, half of my characters, all of which I play with on a daily basis, have been renamed. These are characters that have existed on Harbinger since the first week of launch.

I'd really like to understand the "factors" that went into determining who gets renamed and who doesn't.

The part that makes me really annoyed by this is that the majority of the characters that were transferred over last night are probably inactive. :(

Edited by spcdog

I'd be curious to know what the criteria was as well. Thankfully, most of my favorite names are still there, but one of them that needs to be changed is from a character I created on Dec 19th. I certainly wasn't expecting that. If someone else grabbed that name before Dec 19th, ok...I'm disappointed but that's fair. The weird thing is, I have 1 character with a common real life name that I created only a few months ago, who is level 4 or so, and she got to keep her name.

ok, what appears to have happened is they gave the people that transferred over priority naming and forced the destination people to rename. I had characters on fatman that transferred over to po5, all of the ones that transferred over kept their name and the name holder that has been on the destination server all along are the characters that got the red exclamation point....this isn't cool at all, I better not have lost my names for characters that didn't even move!:mad:

Lost 3 of 4 early access day 1 names with the first round of server mergers. Lost 3 of 4 different names again with this merge. Why must you do this to us all over again? Why even give us names? Just assign a number when we create a character. Edited by TarristerWelm

ok, what appears to have happened is they gave the people that transferred over priority naming and forced the destination people to rename. I had characters on fatman that transferred over to po5, all of the ones that transferred over kept their name and the name holder that has been on the destination server all along are the characters that got the red exclamation point....this isn't cool at all, I better not have lost my names for characters that didn't even move!:mad:

This isn't what happened at all. I have several characters who were created at the same time on Harbinger at launch. Some with really common names that certainly conficted with incoming transfers didn't get renamed, while others did. I log a roughly equal playtime on all of my characters. One of my characters that didn't get renamed is only level 11 (a crafting alt) that is pretty much permanently parked on the fleet.

The criteria used for deciding who gets renamed seems basically random. It doesn't appear to have much (if anything at all) to do with the character's level/playtime/etc. We really need a CS rep to tell us what the story is here.

If you read the transfer stuff closely, the 'Destination' servers this time around are a bit of a misnomer--they're listed in the 'Origin' servers as well. My guess is that all servers in the Origin list were migrated onto new hardware (with the High Pop Server Tech installed on it) and it's just that one of the names was retained after the migration.

As another commenter mentioned, who got to retain the names was more complicated than the last round of transfers, where it was 'whoever was there first got to keep it'. From a comment made during the High Pop testing last week:

"Based on this test of the transfer system it appears to be the character that has had the name longer. I saw this based off of some comparison with my own toons and some of my guilds toons. So if you created a character on origin server X with the name Hans and someone else has a Hans on sever Y and you both are getting transferred to server Z then the person who has had the name longest appears to get claim over the name."

There are probably some other factors at work here, but--there's at least one possibility going on. You probably can't know how your character's name seniority is going to rank against someone else's.

Edited by AlixMV

When naming conflicts occur due to the consolidation, players are given priority based on a variety of factors such as character play time and if they have already had to rename their characters as part of the first character transfer program back in June. Please do keep in mind that this does not encompass all of the factors taken into consideration, but those are an example of the major ones. Edited by JovethGonzalez

I love that ive been playing since launch, that i cancelled my subscription for a few months because i lost my job and the day after i come back without warning i was moved to another server and am forced to rename 3 of my characters.

One positive thing i will say about this patch is that the lag issues i used to have in crowded places have been completely resolved.

I am pretty sure they just reused Server names, that everyone was transferred to a new server using the old names.

^^ This. I have 3 of my characters on The Harbinger which have to be re-named but on the mouse-over, it says that the Harbinger is the "origin shard". So they sent all West Coast PVE to the same server and just re-used the name - The Harbinger - but we're all treated like we're first-timers to that server.

Why on Earth would they NOT explain this to people ahead of time? Talk about a PR mess. This whole thing is a complete mess. Instead of common first names and uncommon Legacy names....which would have made total sense.....we get the complete opposite. This whole thing smacks of horrible planning. They should have had everyone select a unique global name to identify them in the databases so that first names could be duplicated and then had legacy be a unique name.