There's a "limit" to how many times you can restore a character?

VaceDemon

I deleted a character once a few days ago and CS isn't restoring the character because there's a limit? This is news to me. I've deleted other characters before and have had them restored with no problem and afaik I've only deleted this character once. Can anyone share their experience with this? Edited by VaceDemon

I deleted a character once a few days ago and CS isn't restoring the character because there's a limit? This is news to me. I've deleted other characters before and have had them restored with no problem and afaik I've only deleted this character once. Can anyone share their experience with this?

As far as i know, character restore is not something you can demand. It's more on a voluntary basis. They do it, to satisfy their customers, when they made a mistake. If you do it on a regular basis, not by accident, they don't have to restore it. I think, you overstretched the kindness of the support people. :)

Edited by SoontirMorillo

I've deleted other characters before and have had them restored with no problem

By your own admission, you have a track record of what amounts to "Buyers Remorse", where you have a clear history of taking actions that require CSR intervention to correct. To say this leans towards abuse may seem excessive on your end, but there are numerous cases for such actions to have limits, which apparently you have met.

TLDR: Stop deleting characters

As far as i know, character restore is not something you can demand. It's more on a voluntary basis. They do it, to satisfy their customers, when they made a mistake. If you do it on a regular basis, not by accident, they don't have to restore it. I think, you overstretched the kindness of the support people. :)

^ This.

Deleting a character is supposed to be permanent, not something you do on a whim or actually plan to get reversed later.

It's not something you can do by accident with one one misplaced keystroke.

Off hand, I'd say:

- As has been said, CS is not required to restore characters. They do it as a 'customer service'. Sort of like how your parents aren't obligated to buy you a new phone if you break or lose yours.

- Because it's just an option, it can get annoying if someone repeatedly requests an un-delete. Sort of like if you keep breaking or losing your phone your parents will eventually tell you to get your own dam phone.

- Character data is held on the BW servers. Like most data on a computer, you can recover it after a deletion if it hasn't been overwriten by new data. Eventually it can be overwritten - even by a new character you have created.

Also, when doing 'background maintenance' or whatever the various data files can be compressed to consolidate empty space.

In these cases it can actually be "too late" to recover a deleted file or data.

And there is one other point that nobody has mentioned, concerning insta60/insta65/insta70 characters.

Here, I'm talking about the ones people create using the "Outlander" or, as it's now called, Commander's Character token, aka start-at-60 etc.

If you do nothing of significance with the character(1), you can delete it and get the token back. If you do something of significance(1) and then delete the character, you do not get the token back. If you want the token back, and you put in a request for that, CS will restore the character. If you delete the character a second time, CS will not (is not allowed to) restore it again.

(1) "something of significance" ==> gain a level, complete *any* mission including crew skill missions and any other mission, participate in Warzones or GSF or FPs/Ops/Ups, etc. Bouncing to Fleet and spending 20 minutes blithering with your buddies is not "of significance", although you're advised to leave the Fleet Lore Objects alone because there are claims that the token is locked if you gain any experience at all.

I deleted a character once a few days ago and CS isn't restoring the character because there's a limit? This is news to me. I've deleted other characters before and have had them restored with no problem and afaik I've only deleted this character once. Can anyone share their experience with this?

I can see deleting a character once and getting it restored (you learned your lesson) but requesting multiple characters multiple times? I'm not surprised they won't restore any more for you.

Restoring a deleted character is totally up to the discretion of CS. They are not under any obligation to restore a deleted character. Since it seems that you are a repeater offender it may simply be that CS is tired of you constantly requesting this service and have decided to no longer oblige you by refusing to restore your deleted character.

This time it may be gone for good.

Moral of the story;

Stop deleting characters unless you are never going to play that character again. Since at this point I believe that you will most likely never be able to get CS to restore one again.

For the record, I'm not a habitual offender. I get CS is simply doing a favor by doing restorations of any kind. I just wanted clarification on this "limit" because such a rule has never been said or implied by BW or from any of my interactions with support Edited by VaceDemon

For the record, I'm not a habitual offender. I get CS is simply doing a favor by doing restorations of any kind. I just wanted clarification on this "limit" because such a rule has never been said or implied by BW or from any of my interactions with support

Did you message CS and ask them, chances are you won't get a response here. And as forum users we're not privy to that sort of information.

I have never asked them to restore a character I deleted. Its not like you press one button and boom they are gone without any chance to change your mind. If I delete a character than change my mind I figure thats tough. I made the call..

I've done it once here, when I selected a character, switched pages, saw the character I *wanted* to delete, and pressed the button. 'Course, I didn't *select* the one I wanted to delete, so one of my level 75s fought a losing battle against the Dark Forces of Deletion, as it were...

And yes, CS restored it, and quickly.

For the record, I'm not a habitual offender. I get CS is simply doing a favor by doing restorations of any kind. I just wanted clarification on this "limit" because such a rule has never been said or implied by BW or from any of my interactions with support

There should not be a actual physical limit on the amount of times BW can restore deleted characters, There probably is a account limit set by BW. As of present time BW has not given any clarification on the amount if one exists. Anyone other than BW themselves posting here is like me just giving an opinion. BW don't generally give out such info.

There is no rule because deleting characters is not something people do willy-nilly. Just like IRL, there is no rule on how many times you can climb a tree and get rescued by the fire department. But I wouldn't be surprised if at some point they just don't bother anymore.

Edited by MagikFingerz

There is no rule because deleting characters is not something people do willy-nilly. Just like IRL, there is no rule on how many times you can climb a tree and get rescued by the fire department. But I wouldn't be surprised if at some point they just don't bother anymore.

lol, so funny, and true. I've deleted a few chars myself, but have never asked to have them returned. Thankfully I've only deleted ones I didn't need. I had a guild once, who let his (Younger) brother create a char on his account, to try it out. The little fellow managed to delete three of his tops toons...lol. Thankfully he got them restored.

Not as such, but I do have experience with characters having been deleted too long ago. Apparently there was a 6 month limit and they told me that after 6 months they purge all details from deleted characters.

Why delete a character. I have 61 on one server now... I have a few times found I was not feeling a character. so I just moved on and made a new one. At one point you will need to buy a character slot to make another. With that being said I find that eventually I have returned to that character and leveled it too. So never delete a toon just make a new one.

• 2 weeks later...
Just wanted to update and say my Mara finally got restored. Keeping this thread up for anyone else researching that falls into this unfortunate circumstance that if you're deleting characters there is a limit on how many times it can be restored. If it's been deleted and restored once already they won't do again but I was never made aware of that by CS. There have also been a few times where I was able to do more than one restore. So if you delete a character more than once, do so at your own risk! Edited by VaceDemon

I I've deleted other characters before and have had them restored with no problem

This statement does indeed make you an habitual offender. It makes no difference that this particular character has never been deleted before. By your own admission you have deleted multiple characters and had them restored.

Edited by denavin

This statement does indeed make you an habitual offender. It makes no difference that this particular character has never been deleted before. By your own admission you have deleted multiple characters and had them restored.

if that were indeed the case it wouldn't have been just this character that was (formerly) denied. and yes it DOES make a difference because I had contacted support and asked for clarification on the restoration policy and was told that one of the reasons for a denial was if the character was already deleted and restored once which doesn't add up per their policy because they have restored characters before that were already deleted. they also typically never mention in the queries that they can't restore it again if it's been deleted and restored once

Edited by VaceDemon

Everybody except you knew this already...

if that were the case then there wouldn't be other responses in this thread questioning my OP and there wouldn't be other threads about this on google asking about any limits counter- or time-based. also support wouldn't be inconsistent about this but at the end of the day I guess it boils down to who handles your ticket and who you talk to

Edited by VaceDemon

There should not be a actual physical limit on the amount of times BW can restore deleted characters, There probably is a account limit set by BW. As of present time BW has not given any clarification on the amount if one exists. Anyone other than BW themselves posting here is like me just giving an opinion. BW don't generally give out such info.

I did contact cs about this and as I suspected it seems like there isn't a physical limit applied to the whole acc but there's likely a counter-based "limit" they set themselves. I was told by one rep that besides if too much time has passed the other reason is if the toon was already deleted and restored once before. However it seems like you can get past this - it just depends on the agent who handles your case

Edited by VaceDemon

if that were indeed the case it wouldn't have been just this character that was (formerly) denied. and yes it DOES make a difference because I had contacted support and asked for clarification on the restoration policy and was told that one of the reasons for a denial was if the character was already deleted and restored once which doesn't add up per their policy because they have restored characters before that were already deleted. they also typically never mention in the queries that they can't restore it again if it's been deleted and restored once

I've been dealing with the same thing over the past month or so. Every time I would get either a canned response from CS or a response 180 degrees from the original response.

The problem here is that there is no transparency from BW on this matter. There is no set policy. Take WoW, you can restore a character yourself right from the character select screen once every 7 days, you don't need to contact CS, it's completely automated. Easy peazy.

I understand there's a risk to deleting a character and then changing your mind, but honestly it's all just a few button pushes, why does it have to be such a hassle?

If BW doesn't want to make it easier, that's their right, but at the very least there needs to be much clearer communication about what the actual policy is, even in this thread everyone is speculating because nobody knows for sure.

Just my 2 cents.