So Nerf to Surge will make the most OP class even stronger!!!!

shahmat

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Amusing seeing the Sorcerers and Sages defend their class.

Sorcerers and Sages do too many things too well. Too much utility, damage, and healing wrapped into one yummy burrito.

They'll be nerfed slightly if Bioware knows what they are doing.

If not, well, the game will just decline gradually more. They already showed their ineptitude with the Acid Blade/Flechette Round nerf, why not more?

I love Bioware for Mass Effect, KOTOR, Baldurs Gate, and Dragon Age. Their story crafting, voice acting, and just skill at making RPGs is unmatched.

I do not love them for their skills at balancing games.

Edited by OklahomaSooner

It's a joke. Healers with Tanks already rule PvP and this nerf just hurts DPS classes even more. Makes 0 sense since Surge isn't even the best or second best stat.

I had the same thoughts exactly. It's bad enough that 2 of them can hold a point against 4-5 enemies while help arrives. I'm not going to make any assumptions yet on how bad it will be, but the tank + healer combos will seem to have the only benefit from this nerf. We'll see how it pans out next Tuesday, I guess. ;)

I hate to tell you but sorcerers are very dependent on crit/surge.

Those sorcerers burning you down 900-1200 ticks all stack surge/crit.

I hate to tell you this but anyone not stacking haste/alacrity on any caster in any MMO?

Is an idiot. The faster you cast your channel the more procs you get. Dots tick faster.

Oh yeah...heals cast faster as well. Since they are the only hybrid that can offheal worth a damn? Yeah...

Edited by biowareftw

You are right, but for the wrong reasons. It's not that sorc damage doesn't benefit from surge as much; it does. It's that prolonging fights in general benefits the sorc. It also benefits tanks, though, so the general impact the change will have is to improve defensive classes and builds over offensive ones.

For sorc, less incoming damage means more time to re-bubble, more time to CC (defensively used CC in general will be relatively better), a better chance that heal goes off before you die and since bubbles can't crit as far as I know, they become better in relation to other heals.

Anyway, a boost to sorcs(/sages) yes, but not exclusively by any means.

I hate to tell you this but anyone not stacking haste/alacrity on any caster in any MMO?

Is an idiot. The faster you cast your channel the more procs you get. Dots tick faster.

Oh yeah...heals cast faster as well. Since they are the only hybrid that can offheal worth a damn? Yeah...

lolwut

Yeah, Alacrity is so awesome with all those instant cast spells we have. I will laugh at your super fast force lightning ticks doing 1/3 the damage of my crit/surge buffed ones. Just FYI Alacrity does not make dots tick faster either.

So if your intention is to kill sorcerers with laughter than by all means stack alacrity in game where its worthless.

Edited by Rhazesx

Me thinks you don't understand the mechanics of this game.... Alacrity is the single worst stat for sorc/sages (not counting accuracy since it has zero value to casters in this game).

Yeah, Alacrity is so awesome with all those instant cast spells we have. I will laugh at your super fast force lightning ticks doing 1/3 the damage of my crit/surge buffed ones. Just FYI Alacrity does not make dots tick faster either.

So if your intention is to kill sorcerers with laughter than by all means stack alacrity in game where its worthless.

Yup the ones doing 700k to 900k in warzones stacking alacrity as the hybrid spec are doing it wrong. BTW when you use spellchecker to actually spell the word alacrity right? Might want to take the capital A off. It just makes you look like a bigger tool.

The longer the cast time the more alacrity helps. You pick up a big nuke with a really long cast time in the hybrid spec.

Amusing seeing the Sorcerers and Sages defend their class.

Sorcerers and Sages do too many things too well. Too much utility, damage, and healing wrapped into one yummy burrito.

They'll be nerfed slightly if Bioware knows what they are doing.

If not, well, the game will just decline gradually more. They already showed their ineptitude with the Acid Blade/Flechette Round nerf, why not more?

I love Bioware for Mass Effect, KOTOR, Baldurs Gate, and Dragon Age. Their story crafting, voice acting, and just skill at making RPGs is unmatched.

I do not love them for their skills at balancing games.

bioware has nothing to do with baldurs gate. that was black isle. dont give them credit they dont deserve.

Yup the ones doing 700k to 900k in warzones stacking alacrity as the hybrid spec are doing it wrong. BTW when you use spellchecker to actually spell the word alacrity right? Might want to take the capital A off. It just makes you look like a bigger tool.

The longer the cast time the more alacrity helps. You pick up a big nuke with a really long cast time in the hybrid spec.

The hybrid spec is for INSTANT cast chain lightning. Alacrity has no effect on instant cast spells.

OP can't handle getting hit by a lighting attack that hits him for 500 per tick. The Q_Q graphics make him cry.

He simply doesnt notice the 5k+ crits other classes do because of their lacklustre animations.

Your lightnings hitting for 500 a tick?

Maybe you should have chosen at advanced class at level 10.

Because DoT classes definitely don't rely on crit/surge to do any sort of damage.

Oh dear God...

Yup the ones doing 700k to 900k in warzones stacking alacrity as the hybrid spec are doing it wrong.

Dude. Alacrity is terrible for Hybrid and Madness specs. It's marginally useful for Lightning but it's still clearly the worst stat for that build also.

Feel free to go read all the theory craft yourself (http://sithwarrior.com/forums/) or to go run your own simulations (http://code.google.com/p/simulationcraft-swtor/) and see it for yourself.

Dude. Alacrity is terrible for Hybrid and Madness specs. It's marginally useful for Lightning but it's still clearly the worst stat for that build also.

Feel free to go read all the theory craft yourself (http://sithwarrior.com/forums/) or to go run your own simulations (http://code.google.com/p/simulationcraft-swtor/) and see it for yourself.

Alacrity will be useful and is useful (especially on long casts where it scales up). Noone is forcing you to spam one button and only wait for procs. You are just a dime a dozen player that does it.

Add to that sorc/sage is the least dependent AC on crit/surge in this game. Everyone else either has to stack a ton of accuracy or is more dependent on the stat then you.

So after the patch you get a stat that helps you, while others get stats that are useless.

Every class in this game minus sorc/sage just got nerfed. It isn't hard to figure out. Btw your heal gets shorter with haste as well. Then again you probably don't heal yourself either.

Edited by biowareftw

There's really no correct way to combat the "Sorcs/Sages are fine" opinion..

Most that have a Sorc/Sage may be incapable of viewing the class from a third party perspective.

Those that don't have a Sorc/Sage may not understand that OP doesn't mean godly.

Sorcs/Sages aren't OP in one particular way.

They do everything TOO well.

They have too much utility, too much damage potential, too much support..

They don't need to be hammered, they need be toned down..

Either everything needs to be toned down, or they need to take a moderate hit in a specific field.

When ONE thing is too loud, you don't make everything else just as loud...................

So the argument that everything else needs to be brought UP is moot.

The argument that Sorcs/Sages are OP is moot.

They aren't.

But they are too much.

Undeniably: Either Sorcs/Sages have something that causes 90% of the skilled player base to play them, or they require less skill to be decent at.

Either way it makes them too much.

I welcome arguments, they're healthy.

Flaming/Whining/Insulting simply conveys your desperation.

Kind of like how half of the republic players think they're underpowered.....

90% of the problems on republic side are opinions:

1) A ship isn't as cool looking

2) A story isn't as awesome

3) A planet isn't as fun

4) An animation isn't as leet

5) Gear doesn't look as amazing

(ftr: I PERSONALLY prefer the way Assault Cannons look/animate..)

Here is what they built that off of:

Due to the physics in the game, certain abilities that have lobbing animations happen slower.

Which reaches a target quicker, a mortar or a rocket?

It's likely that this will be fixed, but this is also a very logical effect....

Players rarely ever stop to think that even though Mortars are slower, you're not flying in the air painting a target all over yourself......

Who likes to interrupt Death From Above?

How many of those times did you not have the player using it targetted originally?

There are other things similar to DFA/MS.

There are also things that have disadvantaged on the Empire.

Apparently players just don't see them...

One prime example is Merc..

Who has ever seen/gotten the bug where you're firing/being fired upon forever.....

Not only is the bug annoying and SEEMINGLY doesn't actually cause anything bad...

but it does HAPPEN from something bad...

The next time it happens to you either as the Merc or being fire upon by the Merc make sure to watch the Merc.

There is also the case of the rather annoying Ravage Repeat....

If this is a shared bug, I haven't heard many republic player complain about it.......

There's also the defensive animation taking priority...

That may have FINALLY been fixed in one of these 'responsiveness' patches....

But it's pretty easy to miss the fact that you can't actually hit any abilities while the defend animation is playing...

It takes priority, GCD or not.

Last but not least:

68.3% of all statistics are wrong..

Just like that statistic..

In other words all of this data is an estimate..

All of this data is based off of what I have encountered, seen, heard, and talked about.

All of it is subject to my personal bias.

Forever yours,

Zamm

Killed by

and

Killer of

Sorcs/Sages.

Alacrity will be useful and is useful (especially on long casts where it scales up). Noone is forcing you to spam one button and only wait for procs. You are just a dime a dozen player that does it.

Add to that sorc/sage is the least dependent AC on crit/surge in this game. Everyone else either has to stack a ton of accuracy or is more dependent on the stat then you.

So after the patch you get a stat that helps you, while others get stats that are useless.

Every class in this game minus sorc/sage just got nerfed. It isn't hard to figure out. Btw your heal gets shorter with haste as well. Then again you probably don't heal yourself either.

You don't understand the mechanics of the class, you have no idea why people use the hybrid spec and you didn't bother to read the pages on sithwarrior.com. that clearly explains that alacrity is almost useless for madness and hybrid specs. Sithwarrior.com is like arenajunkies for WoW.