Is JJ Abrams killing the EU storyline in The Force Awakens???

PolvinKut

I'm actually kinda glad that the EU got shoved into legends. It was a mess.

What really hacks me off though is that they are stopping all development of Legends material (minus this game). I see no reason that they can't do both.

Honestly if SW Rebels and the nevels are anything to go by, they'll be drawing very heavily on the old EU for content. The exact events may not happen, but a lot of stuff (ex. Sabacc, Interdictor Cruisers) will still make it's way in.

Well, disney destroyed the EU (and illegally destroyed thousands of people's investments into books, comics, and other Star Wars memorabilia) some time ago. I don't buy the new books. I won't be watching Lens Flare Awakens. I'd rather be a real fan and stick to my EU. At least they were good stories, with good plotlines. Sure, some of them weren't so great (Swarm Wars, Black Fleet) but they're better than the crap called Disneywars now.

Well, disney destroyed the EU (and illegally destroyed thousands of people's investments into books, comics, and other Star Wars memorabilia) some time ago. I don't buy the new books. I won't be watching Lens Flare Awakens. I'd rather be a real fan and stick to my EU. At least they were good stories, with good plotlines. Sure, some of them weren't so great (Swarm Wars, Black Fleet) but they're better than the crap called Disneywars now.

Illegally? They did it 100 percent legally. They own the rights, full on from George Lucas. Continuity is whatever they say it is now, full stop. There was nothing illegal about it and it's not like there's some legal recourse to it on the part of the fans, either way.

For that matter, though, George himself was on record saying that he didn't consider the EU canon either, and he was far, far more likely to ignore them and do his own thing if he ever did more film than use any material from it. EU was always what-if, but Lucas himself dismissed it as such, and even if Lucasfilm allowed it as canon in house, he could always , always overrule that. But Disney did it for him.

I love the old EU / Legends continuity - I am a bigger fan of it than I am of the Canon SW, even with the full-on hype for TFA going. There are Legends books and comics that I like more than I like most of the movies.

BUT realistically I think making TFA into a separate continuity was the right choice. There is just too much continuity they'd have to juggle if they tried to fit a new movie, set after Episode 6, into the EU timeline.

This new movie is meant to be huge - which given the records it's already setting months before release, it definitely will be - so it makes sense to give the writers a free hand and make sure that it is accessible to the largest audience possible. Having to worry about whether Lando was running a gas mine or manufacturing droids at this point in time, trying to introduce Jaina after she's killed her brother and married the leader of the Empire, explaining that the Rebels are now the Galactic Alliance, which used to be the New Republic until the Yuuzhan Vong invaded - but its okay because they're gone now - etc, etc, etc,. etc., all that would be a mess for a movie to try to accomplish.

The plot would get completely bogged down in trying to explain all the stuff that happened off-screen or otherwise it would lock out people who weren't familiar with it. Doing anything to hobble the new film like that would be a terrible business decision.

And once you release this new film, it makes sense that they'd want books, games, toys, comics, etc. that tie into it - so you need a new continuity, a new timeline, which is what they're now calling the official Canon.

Literally the only thing I don't agree with about this choice is that they are not keeping the Legends continuity going as an Alternate Universe. Marvel had its mainstream continuity, its Ultimate continuity and its on-screen MCU continuity. I think they could have done something like this here as well, with a clear "Legends" imprint to differentiate the two and keep both continuities going.

Edited by DarthDymond

Darn man, The Dark Swarm trilogy wasn't half bad compared to half the other books, The Crystal Star for example. Yes there were quite a few gems in the EU, but they were more like diamonds in the rough than the norm. Later published stories were better than the older ones, but I think that it would have been a huge problem if Disney had decided to wade through all of the EU and picked some books to elevate to canon while making some of them non-canon. If you feel so strongly that it was illegal then I suggest that instead of crying about it online file a law suit against Disney. I doubt it will go anywhere, and honestly the best you could truly hope for would be forcing Disney to actually wade through the EU and getting a few books elevated to canon, and probably all of the Old Republic era content including SWTOR. As to the "destroyed investment of collections" good luck with that.

Illegally? They did it 100 percent legally. They own the rights, full on from George Lucas. Continuity is whatever they say it is now, full stop. There was nothing illegal about it and it's not like there's some legal recourse to it on the part of the fans, either way.

For that matter, though, George himself was on record saying that he didn't consider the EU canon either, and he was far, far more likely to ignore them and do his own thing if he ever did more film than use any material from it. EU was always what-if, but Lucas himself dismissed it as such, and even if Lucasfilm allowed it as canon in house, he could always , always overrule that. But Disney did it for him.

The last time I checked, insider trading was a felony. They CLEARLY utilized information gathered by LucasArts as per numbers of fans, books sold, etc, to determine whether or not to buy the franchise. That constitutes insider trading. Which, again, is a felony. Which means that every single disney executive involved SHOULD have been arrested for insider trading the minute the deal went through and star wars was officially destroyed.

The last time I checked, insider trading was a felony. They CLEARLY utilized information gathered by LucasArts as per numbers of fans, books sold, etc, to determine whether or not to buy the franchise.

Can you link to any source on this? That they were using information not publicly available? Book sales are hardly secret numbers.

To be blunt: Do you have the slightest idea what you're talking about?

Can you link to any source on this? That they were using information not publicly available? Book sales are hardly secret numbers.

To be blunt: Do you have the slightest idea what you're talking about?

You don't think that disney trolled places like theforce.net, which I've been a member of for the last 7 years when making this decision? LucasArts used to maintain representation there, as well as multiple authors having accounts there. The polls people took for "marketing purposes" on that site a year and a half prior to the sale? I did some of those, too. Not all of that information is public.

You don't think that disney trolled places like theforce.net, which I've been a member of for the last 7 years when making this decision? LucasArts used to maintain representation there, as well as multiple authors having accounts there. The polls people took for "marketing purposes" on that site a year and a half prior to the sale? I did some of those, too. Not all of that information is public.

I can just see the board meetings now:

"Sir, despite reviewing Lucasfilm's earnings and financials, we don't have enough data to decide if we want to buy them out. So we're going to make some sock puppet accounts on theforce.net and poll the users there. Just don't let the SEC find out or we'll all go to jail"

Yeah, maybe not ...

Edited by Khevar

Abrams isn't doing anything of the sort.

Disney already did that when they rebranded the entire Expanded Universe as Legends, making it all non-canon.

Including this game.

Exactly. And I think it's a good move to be honest! My only problem with it is that I'm really not sure why they erased all of the pre-trilogy material from the EU. They didn't go Dragon Ball Z with any of that and it is all great foundation work for building up Lore and History. Also the change from Koriban to Moriband is just strange to me.

I COMPLETELY understand wiping out all the post-trilogy material. While I don't 100% agree with it as there was some great material there, it definitely left Disney little to do as far as making new movies without disappointing masses that wanted to see Mara Jade or Sideous create worm holes....Yeah I'm very much looking forward to this new adaption and it's in good hands.

• 2 weeks later...
I don't think Disney will ever go 3000 years back into the Old Republic anyway. I think they will stick with after the battle of Yavin and deal with that time period. Unless some author or writer who is "certified" by Disney or Lucas grows a wild hair and wants to be "creative".

Disney killed it but I am still angry. The last two series weren't the best but they were improving. I really, REALLY want to know what they were gonna do with Vestara. She was interesting and multi faceted. Even if they just released the original story boards would be nice to have an "ending" to the Ben-Luke-Vestara and Han-Leia-Allana saga's.

I don't think Disney will ever go 3000 years back into the Old Republic anyway. I think they will stick with after the battle of Yavin and deal with that time period. Unless some author or writer who is "certified" by Disney or Lucas grows a wild hair and wants to be "creative".

Old Republic era is tilted far more morally gray than anything that has been or looks like it will be in the movies. Star Wars films are some of the least complicated good/bad you will ever find. KOTOR I & II, SWTOR and especially KoTFE are litered with deconstructions and more human behavior.

It would be difficult to tackle Old Republic without trashing it.