What would you like to see in the next expansion?

Jett-Rinn

My guild mates and I were discussing this last night, the general consensus was something that added class story lines back and really pushed the galaxy forward...so I thought I would start a thread, without being flippant or snarky...what would you like to see in the next major expansion?

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would be a big supporter of a return to class story specific plotlines, but sadly that's not going to happen. Bioware has too few resources and manpower to pull off 8 individual class stories. Onslaught is a good example, we got 2 separate stories there and the overall length of the entire story was much shorter as a result. I think that 1 Empire and 1 Republic story is the most we can count on for the time being. Perhaps at some point the game will go through more of a revival and receive more funding, resources and manpower to make a return to 8 individual class stories.

As to what I'd like to see in future story content?

Since Onslaught was heavily focused on the front lines of the Third Galactic War, I would like to see the next story installment to be more inwardly focused.

For the Republic, I'd like to see an arc that involves the rebuilding of the Jedi Order, specifically the rebuilding of the Jedi Temple on Coruscant. It could heavily involve exploring the inner depths of the ruined temple, where, as a result of the attack, a lot of dangerous Sith artifacts were "let loose" and have started affecting scavengers and the like. Our characters would delve inside the ruins to try and contain the artifacts again, find ancient Jedi lore and secrets while also fighting possessed people. The arc could also cover a "cleansing" of the Jedi Temple, since I'd imagine there to be a lot of Dark Side energy around there with how the Sith have pulled a number on the place during the sacking of Coruscant.

For the Empire, I'd love to see a struggle for the Imperial throne. As much as I love Darth Vowrawn as Sith Emperor, I do have a feeling he and Acina are going to be killed, no matter our choice back on Iokath. If the story will indeed head that way, I'd want the next story update to focus the Empire's story on political intrigue, shadow conflicts and lots of backstabbing to put a new Dark Lord of the Sith on the Imperial throne. Our character would be given the choice to support a candidate and then work with them to get that Darth to become Emperor or Empress of the Sith. As long as it won't be our character who will try to ascend to the Imperial throne, I'd be fine with it. Think of it, how much more powerful the person behind the throne, whispering into the ear of the Emperor or Empress would be.

Both these stories would give the opportunity to return to the capital worlds of our factions and let us have a look at the hearts of the Empire and Republic once more.

In even further story updates, perhaps we could venture into the Tion Hegemony, as we haven't seen them featured since the Kaon Under Siege arc. I'd also love to see more of the Stygian Caldera, which harbour the Sith worlds like Dromund Kaas and Korriban, but also many others like Bosthirda, Jaguada and Ch'hodos. I think it would be nice to see more of the Sith worlds in the game, especially since we had a strongly Jedi-focused one with the Ossus story.

Edited by Ylliarus

Rather than getting new planets I'd like to see us return to old planets. Add new sections, a la Black Hole/Section X.

Right on! there is so much content already made that just sits there, I would kill of they brought us back to Tanaris or Ord Mantell.

Plz no more corellia . The Imp can't hold it, even though we did all the work for them to keep it . Add to that, I really hate Coreliia..its like someone went to Nar shaddaa and dropped a Bomb! AND THERE you have it..it become Corellia!

Send us back to our root! Tython and Korriban , let us walk upon the bones of our predecessor......hear Kreia give us a cultur shock-..uh..sorry wrong game XD

How about Rishi ? Or Makeb ? One has the beach..and its snowing in real life..perfect to go get a Tan!

Rather than them a new expansion that's just adding new content that's just section off from the rest of the game the way so many expansions/updates for these types of games do I'd rather see a rework/overhaul of the existing game instead. Basically like what Final Fantasy 14 did with A Realm Reborn.

Now that SWTOR has been out for so long the game feels so uneven. Certain elements feel modern while others feel dated. A number of systems & mechanics don't work well with one another, etc.

Imagine if you were going to make a new character & you wanted to experience the story of SWTOR in order from your starter planet all the way through Onslaught. This includes all Solo & Group story content, so you'd be playing through the Ops as well. That's a significant amount of content. SWTOR isn't lacking in the amount of content it offers in that scenario, but a number of elements of that process would be a slog. When you think about that process there are no doubt multiple things that come to mind where you think "Ugh I'd have to do blank again." or whatever. Now think about what would make that process better, enjoyable, less tedious, what quality of life improvements they could make, etc, etc.

I've always liked/enjoyed the idea of getting the most amount of potential with what already exists within games rather than just adding another brick atop the pile that you're going to play through and be done with a month later or whatever.

Rather than them a new expansion that's just adding new content that's just section off from the rest of the game the way so many expansions/updates for these types of games do I'd rather see a rework/overhaul of the existing game instead. Basically like what Final Fantasy 14 did with A Realm Reborn.

Now that SWTOR has been out for so long the game feels so uneven. Certain elements feel modern while others feel dated. A number of systems & mechanics don't work well with one another, etc.

Imagine if you were going to make a new character & you wanted to experience the story of SWTOR in order from your starter planet all the way through Onslaught. This includes all Solo & Group story content, so you'd be playing through the Ops as well. That's a significant amount of content. SWTOR isn't lacking in the amount of content it offers in that scenario, but a number of elements of that process would be a slog. When you think about that process there are no doubt multiple things that come to mind where you think "Ugh I'd have to do blank again." or whatever. Now think about what would make that process better, enjoyable, less tedious, what quality of life improvements they could make, etc, etc.

I've always liked/enjoyed the idea of getting the most amount of potential with what already exists within games rather than just adding another brick atop the pile that you're going to play through and be done with a month later or whatever.

At this point, the only thing you need to do in order to reach level 75 is play your class story and occasionally do planetary storylines. How much more could they alter or streamline that?

The only thing I find a slog is doing the same thing I've done for eight years, but if I was a new player again I'd vastly prefer the old way over what we have now.

I don't think there's any manner of alteration or streamlining that would make me happier about the game, most especially if they went the ARR route. I don't have a clue what FFXIV was like before, but having to do literally every single quest for literally every single expansion is a worse slog than anything SWTOR has made you do.

At this point, the only thing you need to do in order to reach level 75 is play your class story and occasionally do planetary storylines. How much more could they alter or streamline that?

The only thing I find a slog is doing the same thing I've done for eight years, but if I was a new player again I'd vastly prefer the old way over what we have now.

I don't think there's any manner of alteration or streamlining that would make me happier about the game, most especially if they went the ARR route. I don't have a clue what FFXIV was like before, but having to do literally every single quest for literally every single expansion is a worse slog than anything SWTOR has made you do.

I'm not talking about the leveling process, I'm talking about features, systems, quality of life changes, etc, being woven throughout the entire game rather than every expansion adding new features that feel sectioned off to the content of the areas. Giving you more reasons to go back existing planets/areas. More reasons to go back to planets that don't get much use.

If you just keep stacking content without making it feed into what already exists in the game or creating more of an ecosystem between the games features you're just going to keep repeating or having the same problems, namely you burning through the story or whatever of the newest content & then not having much to do afterwards.

Rather than getting new planets I'd like to see us return to old planets. Add new sections, a la Black Hole/Section X.

Good idea. I wouldn't mind new areas on old planets with story that takes us there.

For the Empire, I'd love to see a struggle for the Imperial throne. As much as I love Darth Vowrawn as Sith Emperor, I do have a feeling he and Acina are going to be killed, no matter our choice back on Iokath. If the story will indeed head that way, I'd want the next story update to focus the Empire's story on political intrigue, shadow conflicts and lots of backstabbing to put a new Dark Lord of the Sith on the Imperial throne. Our character would be given the choice to support a candidate and then work with them to get that Darth to become Emperor or Empress of the Sith. As long as it won't be our character who will try to ascend to the Imperial throne, I'd be fine with it. Think of it, how much more powerful the person behind the throne, whispering into the ear of the Emperor or Empress would be.

I would quite like that too.

I would also love class stories, but I'm satisfied with faction stories with some class flavour. At the very least having Force user PCs use the Force and non Force users use tech. And having our Force user chars actually act powerful. (Unlike many times in KotFE/KotET where our char just stands like a noob while companions do impressive stuff). I think Onslaught has so far from what I've seen improved on this, even incorporating our class history.

Other than that I'd like bug fixes and just improvements to the game features and stability.

Edited by Neulwen

1) Separate questlines for both Imperial and Republic arcs, with perhaps 2-3 class specific quests in there as well. At the very least, give us story arcs for force users and tech users. Don't shoehorn my smuggler into a story about how he's instrumental in rebuilding the Jedi Order, and don't make my Bounty Hunter some pre-ordained "Chosen One" of the Force... again.

2) An option for characters who have been saboteur through the more recent arcs to formally defect (new characters would have to play through JUS and Onslaught as saboteur before gaining the option. Characters who played through JUS and Onslaught as loyalists would not be able to defect).

3) Return some of the companion abilities that used to make them feel unique. Nadia's heavy AOE, HK-51's assassinate, etc.

4) A minimum of three operations over the course of the expansion. One at launch, one at the midway point, and one to close the expansion out.

5) A minimum of one new map for each PVP mode.

6) New flashpoints. Probably 5-6 of them.

7) Basically, just give us enough content to justify actually calling it an expansion. I'd even be willing to pay for it if there's actually enough content to justify buying it.

Maybe it's asking too much, but definitely a new class.

I hope they get better financing for the next xpac to make it bigger.

I would definitely pay extra for it, rather than just a sub price.

Edited by Nemmar

I want them to keep elaborating on the current gearing system, I love the customizations and variety. I want them to focus more on gameplay than anything, more animations, different styles to hold your lightsaber, different ways to run, different ways to hold your pistol, etc. One thing that is important in a Star Wars roleplaying game is how how character looks, acts and feels. I want my assassins to run like Darth Maul in Battlefront, my Juggernaut to have slow and deamening movement like dath vader, my sorcerer to glide like a witch etc. Edited by Delani

Maybe it's asking too much, but definitely a new class.

I hope they get better financing for the next xpac to make it bigger.

I would definitely pay extra for it, rather than just a sub price.

You know whats funny is that they could have added a new class with KOTET launch, but they focused too mush resources on other things when they had that massive budget. Now i dont think we will ever see a new class unless EA gives them huge budget again.

I would be a big supporter of a return to class story specific plotlines, but sadly that's not going to happen. Bioware has too few resources and manpower to pull off 8 individual class stories. Onslaught is a good example, we got 2 separate stories there and the overall length of the entire story was much shorter as a result. I think that 1 Empire and 1 Republic story is the most we can count on for the time being. Perhaps at some point the game will go through more of a revival and receive more funding, resources and manpower to make a return to 8 individual class stories.

Since Onslaught was heavily focused on the front lines of the Third Galactic War, I would like to see the next story installment to be more inwardly focused.

For the Republic, I'd like to see an arc that involves the rebuilding of the Jedi Order, specifically the rebuilding of the Jedi Temple on Coruscant. It could heavily involve exploring the inner depths of the ruined temple, where, as a result of the attack, a lot of dangerous Sith artifacts were "let loose" and have started affecting scavengers and the like. Our characters would delve inside the ruins to try and contain the artifacts again, find ancient Jedi lore and secrets while also fighting possessed people. The arc could also cover a "cleansing" of the Jedi Temple, since I'd imagine there to be a lot of Dark Side energy around there with how the Sith have pulled a number on the place during the sacking of Coruscant.

Both these stories would give the opportunity to return to the capital worlds of our factions and let us have a look at the hearts of the Empire and Republic once more.

In even further story updates, perhaps we could venture into the Tion Hegemony, as we haven't seen them featured since the Kaon Under Siege arc. I'd also love to see more of the Stygian Caldera, which harbour the Sith worlds like Dromund Kaas and Korriban, but also many others like Bosthirda, Jaguada and Ch'hodos. I think it would be nice to see more of the Sith worlds in the game, especially since we had a strongly Jedi-focused one with the Ossus story.

They can do that but then they would be ignoring the rest of the game. Its all about resource management at this point.

Also, I bet SWTOR will recieve more funding in the future. Lets just hope they dont repeat another KOTET and only focus on one aspect of the game instead of the whole game.

1) Separate questlines for both Imperial and Republic arcs, with perhaps 2-3 class specific quests in there as well. At the very least, give us story arcs for force users and tech users. Don't shoehorn my smuggler into a story about how he's instrumental in rebuilding the Jedi Order, and don't make my Bounty Hunter some pre-ordained "Chosen One" of the Force... again.

2) An option for characters who have been saboteur through the more recent arcs to formally defect (new characters would have to play through JUS and Onslaught as saboteur before gaining the option. Characters who played through JUS and Onslaught as loyalists would not be able to defect).

3) Return some of the companion abilities that used to make them feel unique. Nadia's heavy AOE, HK-51's assassinate, etc.

4) A minimum of three operations over the course of the expansion. One at launch, one at the midway point, and one to close the expansion out.

5) A minimum of one new map for each PVP mode.

6) New flashpoints. Probably 5-6 of them.

7) Basically, just give us enough content to justify actually calling it an expansion. I'd even be willing to pay for it if there's actually enough content to justify buying it.

The only thing pvp need is the resolvement of desync and technical issues. The amount of glitches that occur are unrealisitc. A new map should be the last thing they worry about.

More interaction with original companions. I realize not every class can get this every time, but it would be nice to see them cycle through a larger variety. Maybe a bit for one or two love interests per content adds. I'd also love to see a Copero, Onderon, Alderaan, or Zakuul stronghold. Something that's elegant and not industrial. I'd also like to see the PvP toggle for Rishi adjusted so you don't have to turn it off EVERY time you go in and out.

It would be great to see some new face options added to each race, as well as more of the hairdos from the movies. Leia's Cloud City style definitely comes to mind. Those are just a few of the aesthetic additions I'd like.

As for gameplay, I'd like to see more than 1 fps and not be assigned to a specific companion the first time I run it. Let me choose who to run with. Speaking of comps, how about some repeatable companion quests?

I'd definitely like to be able to have my saboteur agent be able to actually cut ties with the Empire, additionally, if I'm a saboteur I don't want Pub allies leaving my Alliance. There should be an option to tell them that you're actually working against your original faction. If they can't work out switching factions then there should at least be things that set the saboteur and loyalist apart, beyond a few choices in cutscenes. Allowing saboteurs to reveal their true loyalties to comrades in the Alliance would help with that.

I'd like to see more companions added to the companion terminal. The door to having cross class companions has been opened, just put them all in the terminal and be done with it. Those who want cross companions can get them, and those who don't can avoid it. It annoys me that I have companions I don't care about forced on me, but can't get others that I really like for any toon. They keep saying "play your way" well, that would definitely make it a bit more "my way."

I'm not talking about the leveling process, I'm talking about features, systems, quality of life changes, etc, being woven throughout the entire game rather than every expansion adding new features that feel sectioned off to the content of the areas. Giving you more reasons to go back existing planets/areas. More reasons to go back to planets that don't get much use.

If you just keep stacking content without making it feed into what already exists in the game or creating more of an ecosystem between the games features you're just going to keep repeating or having the same problems, namely you burning through the story or whatever of the newest content & then not having much to do afterwards.

Can you give me an example of what you actually mean? I only got through the first expansion content before quitting FFXIV, and I didn't see what you're talking about now.

If it would allow for the money to bring back voice actors and make our original companions part of the main story again, I'd happily pay for an expac in addition to my sub. I'd love for my companions to be a big part of the story again.

I'd love a new class, but I really enjoy the class-specific flavor in the faction stories, like someone mentioned. More of that is good, too.

I'd like more mail from LIs.

I'd like to see some drama from the Alliance regarding our return to our factions, if we chose that. For instance, I'd like to see a choice for a parting of the ways from Theron Shan on some of my Imp chars. He's cramping my Imperial style. I don't want him dead or anything. I just want the choice to have him pull a Beywan Aygo (sp?) and tell me how great it was working with me, but it's time for him to go now.

My companion list is so painfully long and disorganized now. I'd love to have the option to delete some of them that we no longer have access to. Or have the thing better organized in a way that makes sense. Something.

In eight years they could have done a lotto make this game even more than it is. Adding planets could have been the main focus of the story and a good way to keep people always coming back.

28 planets in the main parts 9 or 10 in flash points.

Had they released a planet every 3 months we could have so many more planets to explore. 16 original planets plus another 24 that would make 40+ planet just think of 10+ more planets to explore or go to how different your trip to the top could be by the time Onslaught happens.

Instead of Ilum you could have gone to Kashyyyk, Mandalore, the ruin of Malcore, Peragus station, Telos IV, Iridonia, Kessel in its prime as a mining colony before it was a spice world. So many planets could have been used and added without ever having an expansion. The universe of Swtor could be so much bigger.

So that is my recomindation to have a planet added every so many months with about twenty or so quest to do.