Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Progression Double-Monetized in 6.0?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Progression Double-Monetized in 6.0?

MacCleoud
06.16.2019 , 03:23 PM | #31
Quote: Originally Posted by Joonbeams View Post
I'm probably the one person here who understands and agrees with your base argument: yes, the base XP boost coupled with RXP boost will create an incentive to buy more boosts (and incentive that doesn't exist now because regular XP boosts become worthless when the CXP/70 kicks in). I agree there is probably a monetization element here (and I don't have an issue with that). It's relatively minor though, and it's easily traversable (just a slightly longer grind - and for someone like me, that's the preferred approach). Someone unwilling to do that extra grind should be able to pay to get out of it -- that's just a smart model, if....

...the reward itself isn't purchasable (i.e. only grind time is being shortened). And additionally, the rewards here, gear, are the ends (not the means). They're the prize. None of the content will require this new gear (that I'm aware of); at least none of the existing content will. But even if the new content will require it, there are plenty of ways to get the gear just by playing. So yes, there will be microtransactions--those are here to stay--but they're being done right here IMO.

Pay to win is an overused pejorative. I don't want to run down the rabbit hole of defining the term, but the core thing for modern gaming is that the more there are options to attain the items just by playing the game, the less of the "ick" factor there is. And that ick is even less so where, as here, there is no option to directly purchase any of the prizes (the classic P2W)....
This is correct on every front. Will people do the double boost? Yes.

Are they being forced to? No

FlatTax
06.16.2019 , 03:24 PM | #32
Quote: Originally Posted by MacCleoud View Post
Find the point in the stream where they say tacticals are limited to the crates or where in the AMA they state this.
As I said, having a non-monetized grind for them doesn't get us around the problem, if double-boosted Renown drops are the more efficient method.

FlatTax
06.16.2019 , 03:29 PM | #33
Quote: Originally Posted by Joonbeams View Post
And that ick is even less so where, as here, there is no option to directly purchase any of the prizes (the classic P2W)....
I disagree. Laundering a financial transaction through a couple game mechanics doesn't reduce the 'ick' at all.

MacCleoud
06.16.2019 , 03:34 PM | #34
Double posted by accident here. Sorry.

robertthebard
06.16.2019 , 06:40 PM | #35
Quote: Originally Posted by FlatTax View Post
I disagree. Laundering a financial transaction through a couple game mechanics doesn't reduce the 'ick' at all.
How then, do you justify paying a sub? Especially here, considering a sub here does a lot things you're complaining about coming up. I mean, w/out paying for a sub, or buying the unlocks, you can't equip purple gear, isn't that the very definition of P2W? it's certainly one you want to use, at least when you can argue about your point of view on boosts being the only accurate view on boosts.
Quote: Originally Posted by Transcendent View Post
Also, just a small point. Why should anyone who plays this game exclusively for any particular type of content, have to run a different type of content just to earn gear? What is that attitude all about?

lightSaberAddiCt
06.16.2019 , 06:44 PM | #36
I can't believe so may people bit on such obvious bait.
Just Click It for Free Stuff I need the CC
http://www.swtor.com/r/Hj4n32

FlatTax
06.16.2019 , 06:55 PM | #37
Quote: Originally Posted by robertthebard View Post
How then, do you justify paying a sub? Especially here, considering a sub here does a lot things you're complaining about coming up. I mean, w/out paying for a sub, or buying the unlocks, you can't equip purple gear, isn't that the very definition of P2W? it's certainly one you want to use, at least when you can argue about your point of view on boosts being the only accurate view on boosts.
No. Nothing is free, and I expect to pay for a quality game. Monetizing advantages on top of monetized access is what I have a problem with.

robertthebard
06.16.2019 , 11:55 PM | #38
No. Nothing is free, and I expect to pay for a quality game. Monetizing advantages on top of monetized access is what I have a problem with.
...and as we can see from all the posts here, very few people are interpreting the information we do have the way you are. "But they're going to milk us", only if you allow it. The boosts for the current iteration of Command ranks is available for in-game currencies. You'd have to not play at all to feel like you were forced to buy them from the CS. You're making a choice to spend money on something you can get w/out touching your wallet doesn't mean BW/EA is doing something bad, however. They made them available w/out spending a dime, so your choice to spend isn't a reflection on them. "But they're in the store" doesn't mean a lot. There's beer in the grocery store, and I haven't bought any for years.
Also, just a small point. Why should anyone who plays this game exclusively for any particular type of content, have to run a different type of content just to earn gear? What is that attitude all about?

FlatTax
06.17.2019 , 03:39 PM | #39
Quote: Originally Posted by robertthebard View Post
your choice to spend isn't a reflection on them. "But they're in the store" doesn't mean a lot.
Have you seen the documentary Leaving Neverland? It's an amazing parable about the dangers of allowing culturally-beloved figures to cross bright lines.

Microtransactions that feed gearing? The bright line has been crossed. It's not a time to make excuses because of the uglier things it hasn't yet become. That ends poorly.

Whether it's Michael Jackson, or EA/BioWare, the moral obligation is for powerful people not to solicit inappropriate things from others.

robertthebard
06.17.2019 , 07:42 PM | #40
Have you seen the documentary Leaving Neverland? It's an amazing parable about the dangers of allowing culturally-beloved figures to cross bright lines.

Microtransactions that feed gearing? The bright line has been crossed. It's not a time to make excuses because of the uglier things it hasn't yet become. That ends poorly.

Whether it's Michael Jackson, or EA/BioWare, the moral obligation is for powerful people not to solicit inappropriate things from others.
Nice snip job, not sure what you're really replying to, since what you left in, and what you decided to talk about don't seem all that related.

The way you feel about something does not entitle you to claim it's "inappropriate" for anyone else. The fact that the current boosters are available in game for 0 dollars worth of investment means that you're fussing to fuss. "But EA is milking us"!!!!eleven11! No, they're not. They might be milking you, but there are more than a few posts in this very thread commenting on how they're not important, and even the official references that you chose to pull out of context point the same way.