Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Add variety and content. Stop the focus on gear

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Add variety and content. Stop the focus on gear

Blacklynx
06.14.2019 , 04:18 AM | #21
I understand the reasoning about Bioware talking about gearing first, after all it has been a tremendous mess in the past couple years. It's also something that is important in retaining endgame players.

That said i'm eagerly expecting anything related to story since it's what i play SWTOR for, my questions for them about it would be:
1. Is the new story replayable (like vanilla with the choices/class story) or repeatable (like kotet/kotfe)?
2. Are the companions more involved (like the main companion in vanilla), especially the LIs or just there as flavor?
3. Any semblance of class story in 6.0 ( i know a full class story is probably impossible, but maybe a few simple quests with class flavor here and there)?

I sincerely hope 6.0 will bring fresh air to SWTOR.

Suzsi
06.14.2019 , 06:51 AM | #22
Exactly.

There are plenty of discussion or comments they could make that's story related without spoiling the story.

The fact that they aren't or won't isn't filling me with a lot of hope for 6.0. At this point I may unsub and come back later *if* theres anything worth coming back for re: story.

If I knew there were things to look forward to then I would be spending my time happily working on getting more toons ready for the expansion. Characters that haven't even done kotef or KoTET yet. What's the point in investing that time now though when I haven't got something to look forward to for them? I'll just end up dissapointed if there isn't.

Players who are gear focused already know where to turn their attentions - to the characters they want geared first. Max gear now means they start getting the next level of gear right up with the new system.

Its not so clear with story players.

Where gearers may have one main character to focus gear on and a couple of alts after - story players often have many more.

Most story players have at least one of each class story.

On top of that many other story players have one of each romance, meaning multiples for some classes.

And on top of that some like myself even have multiples of our fav romances.

Without details where do we focus our attentions?
I don't even think it's been dev confirmed that Kira is returning in 6.0 even though we knew when the other comps were returning to be ready for them.

So should I be focusing on my fav romances first if all LIs are going to get some love?
Should I instead be focusing on my JKs for the return of their BFF?
Should I just be focusing on getting my Theron and Lanamancers upto date if they are the only ones going to get some love?
Should we be focusing solely on brand new characters for the next set of romances with new companions?

Without at least a little bone to chew on how do we know where to direct our play hours at without wasting time on the wrong characters? This is why zero info on story can be very frustrating.

Don't give us the exact details of the story, when, why, how mich, dialogue, plot etc that's not what we are asking for..
Just a little bone our way to know where to focus attention now to be ready for the best experience when 6.0 does launch.

-

~~ Always looking for more Theron Shan and Aric romance. ~~

KendraP
06.14.2019 , 08:38 AM | #23
I have over 50 players across 3 servers incorporating at least one of every advanced class, and am anxiously awaiting the story too.

To me, my main (a jedi guardian) will always be the first through the story, whatever that story may be.

The point I was making is that:
What is important is different to everyone, and it is gear that has been creating the more consistent stink. Some people hated kotfe/et (like myself) and some liked it (as demonstrated by the adamant defenders in every thread asking them to renege the focus on "commander".

So just like them, I'm here to say I am glad they are trying to be more transparent with gearing, and wish for them to continue seeking feedback, and sincerly hope they account for that feedback in the product they deliver.

robertthebard
06.14.2019 , 09:08 AM | #24
Quote: Originally Posted by MingusPho View Post
Actually the issue is there are no radiant quests and no evolving dungeons. Everything is the exact same every time you play it. Same mobs, same number of mobs, standing in the same spot, in the same room, using the same strategy as the last thousand times you played it. The most enjoyable mmos have quest generation and randomization features instead of the same quests on repeat.
Interesting, which ones are these? Looking over at the second monitor right now, I have DDO, GW, GW 2, ESO and Neverwinter shortcuts up, and none of those do this, Rappelz didn't do it either. The only game that I played that had procedurally generated content was Diablo, and a NWN mod that I worked on that generated mobs on an OnEnter script that varied according to player level. All of my MMO experience is exactly the same as it is here. This would include games like Aion, and Runes of Magic off the top of my head.
Quote: Originally Posted by Transcendent View Post
Also, just a small point. Why should anyone who plays this game exclusively for any particular type of content, have to run a different type of content just to earn gear? What is that attitude all about?

Severith
06.14.2019 , 09:50 AM | #25
Quote: Originally Posted by ForfiniteStories View Post
How is frustrating the player base absolutely necessary?
Look at WoW. The most frustraing times for WoW gearing was Vanilla and Burning Crusade. Guess which times saw the playerbase increase?

Vanilla and Burning Crusade.

Wrath of the Lich King saw slight player growth, and that was easier gearing, and from there every expansion it was easier and easier to gear and the player base dwindled and dwindled.

Now you have BFA, which has epic gear all over the place, literally given to you, there's no challenges, no community spirit, and people left it in droves.....and now everyone is talking WoW again, but not because of BFA, but because vanilla servers are opening up, and all that challenge and misery is drawing them back in.

People need elitism. They need goals, and they need those goals to be frustrating in order to be satisfying. Frustration is absolutely necessary for a good mmo.

You got a good one liner for that?

Stellarcrusade
06.14.2019 , 09:59 AM | #26
OP has a very good point. It feels like the dev team either wants to or has to only put tiny amounts of actual work into the game. There is a reason so many players are idle. There are whole guilds of 1000 people that have like 90% of the players at level 70 who haven't logged in for many months. When new content comes out a large portion of swtor players play the new content once, then leave. They _may_ return the next time content comes out.

For players who focus mainly on PvP like myself, when a new super long gear grind is presented, I just go away until the next patch/expansion comes out that may have a reasonable PvP gear grind. If I can get a char to max PvP gear in a few weeks of casual play, ok. But like the last time gear was added, I was like, hmm, nope. I'm not going to spend thousands of hours per character to get max. And I'm not going to PvP long without max, so I leave and see what the notes for the next patch/expansion is. Gearing is a waste of time. When gearing is done is when the game starts.

Damask_Rose
06.14.2019 , 10:28 AM | #27
Quote: Originally Posted by robertthebard View Post
Interesting, which ones are these? Looking over at the second monitor right now, I have DDO, GW, GW 2, ESO and Neverwinter shortcuts up, and none of those do this, Rappelz didn't do it either. The only game that I played that had procedurally generated content was Diablo, and a NWN mod that I worked on that generated mobs on an OnEnter script that varied according to player level. All of my MMO experience is exactly the same as it is here. This would include games like Aion, and Runes of Magic off the top of my head.
You should check out City of Heroes. NCSoft has let fans put up servers and they are booming right now. "Dungeons" in City of Heroes are procedurally generated and mob spawns vary according to the difficulty set by the player and the number of players in the group.

JediQuaker
06.14.2019 , 11:09 AM | #28
I'm not sure it's correct to say that BW's "focus" is on gear. It seems as though it's the forum posters who "focus" on gear (and neglect the rest) - especially the PvP'ers who basically don't want to play the actual game, but just PvP.

Referral code - http://www.swtor.com/r/dZ8wSV

UmbralSpirit
06.14.2019 , 11:41 AM | #29
All of my MMO experience is exactly the same
And thats the problem.

Blacklynx
06.14.2019 , 01:16 PM | #30
My first MMO, Anarchy Online, has a terminal in the cities that would allow you to randomly choose a mission to do, if you knew how to use the sliders it would even allow to choose the type of enemies (humanoid, animal, robot) and the type of mission (kill, find an npc, grab an item, etc), it even allows you to choose the level of the mission (higher or lower than you by a certain amount). Always baffled me why i never saw anything remotely similar in other mmo's i played.