Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Is "Bug Hunt" an exploit? An answer from a DEV would be appreciated.

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Is "Bug Hunt" an exploit? An answer from a DEV would be appreciated.

TheMubarak
06.16.2019 , 04:34 PM | #1
I'm certain I already know the answer. But other players like to argue it's "not an exploit though it's obvious it is.

A Question Of Motivation is a [Heroic 2+]
Most [Heroic 2+] don't allow an OPs group to enter.
The maximum amount of players that can normally enter any [Heroic] is 4.

Yet, there are quite a few players that "insist" this isn't "exploiting".

Their "claim" is that if it was an exploit, the DEVs would have completely "nerfed it" by now.

It would be "awesome" if a DEV or even a GM could "chime in" on this and make a clarification so everyone is clear on the subject.

MacCleoud
06.16.2019 , 06:23 PM | #2
Keith said they have known about it for a while. They nerfed the XP with the last patch and there will be more later so I would say since they have known about it for a while and all they did was nerf the xp, they donít consider it an exploit.

SteveTheCynic
06.17.2019 , 12:35 PM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by TheMubarak View Post
The glaringly blindingly obvious point about A Question Of Motivation is that it does not have any phase walls, so there's nothing to "enter". It is open-world (non-instanced) content just like running around the Gorinth Plateau slaughtering whatever happens to be in your way.
http://www.swtor.com/r/Hg3sV2
To go to Belsavis, you must go to Belsavis.
> @"Biff.5312" said:
> Exercise your whimsy.

Rion_Starkiller
06.17.2019 , 03:21 PM | #4
I'm certain I already know the answer. But other players like to argue it's "not an exploit though it's obvious it is.

Their "claim" is that if it was an exploit, the DEVs would have completely "nerfed it" by now.

It would be "awesome" if a DEV or even a GM could "chime in" on this and make a clarification so everyone is clear on the subject.
lol not an exploit, it's called FARMING.

1. You get more XP for doing non-group content in a group (I say non-group because all of these Heroics are soloable, or your companion counts as the 2nd person).
2. Double XP event needs to be going on.
3. Use your DvL xp boost armor.
4. Use an xp boost.
5. Profit.

Now are you asking if the devs intended the xp rates to be this fast? Probably not. There are very few areas in the game with fast respawning champion-difficulty mobs. But after 3-ish years, it had become a well known xp farm area.

This xp farm would never would have been possible without level sync. Thanks level sync!
-Beruhl
ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ

Quote: Originally Posted by EricMusco View Post
Lies have been corrected.

fushnchips
06.17.2019 , 03:59 PM | #5

I think you are unsure what an exploit really is and this isn't any type of exploit it's going back to the same as Bestia farming just the XP rates were and are to high and Bioware have now addressed both issues now what an exploit is if you walked into ravagers and clicked on the ship and got boss loot that is an exploit it was never designed that way and people knew it so just remember gaining any XP from any kills no matter how many repeats or slash stucks people do or reset mobs the game has been designed to allow it
Pineapple on Pizza for life

Free stuff for you and me click here : Refer a Friend

TheMubarak
06.17.2019 , 05:24 PM | #6
And this is why I asked for clarification from a DEV. Lots of "opinions", no real clarifications.

MadDutchman
06.17.2019 , 07:17 PM | #7
And this is why I asked for clarification from a DEV. Lots of "opinions", no real clarifications.
Had you actually read their "opinions" (or actually spent 30 seconds to research this yourself) you would now know that it is known to the devs and NOT an exploit

Quote: Originally Posted by KeithKanneg View Post
Hey all,

It's been a while since I posted, but wanted to jump in and say yep, we've known about this area and had planned to fix it with the expansion.

We typically don't include these types of changes in Patch Notes, but tbh, this snuck out with 5.10.3a. Since it's now effectively rolled out, we'll keep it in and will update the /slap message you're receiving when you are killing the poor bugs. What you are seeing isn't the final change, so we'll make additional adjustments in upcoming patches.

Speaking of patches, we have a mid-summer update including the Nar Shaddaa Nightlife event (with new rewards) coming out soon. Most of the team is focused on the expansion and of course, what follows in the winter.

See some of you at the Cantina in San Diego next month!

Keith---

ps...I'm seeing double XP and double CXP in-game on my toons, so you might want to check again. It's typically visible on your experience/CXP bar on your UI.

Demand: Are. We. There. Yet.

Use my referral link for free goodies.

BRKMSN
06.17.2019 , 11:23 PM | #8

You want so badly for this to be an exploit because you have been arguing your case (that it is) in the game and want to be "right." Just like Black Talon (vet mode) and KotFE chapters 1 and 2, players found the most efficient spot in the game to farm XP / CXP until the devs nerf the gains. I've finished (leveling) a couple characters with Bug Hunt in the past. I still end up going through all the story with those characters eventually.

I can only offer my opinion, but it would be quite comical to label "bug hunt" an exploit, but not the Masters Datacron. If the entire group is working together to kite mobs and kill them, with all the boosts and double XP, it still takes a couple hours to fully level a lowbie to max. The MD does it instantly. I'm not sure why people playing the game together bothers you so much. I think it's actually a good thing, especially for players that are initially afraid of grouping for game content.

The only thing that could reasonably be argued an exploit is if a group member joins and goes AFK with the intent to gain with no effort at all. That does happen, but it hurts the group as a whole by slowing progress. Good group leaders remove those players and replace them.

The only reason I feel the devs wanted to get the nerf out there for bug hunt now is because they don't want it to be the only place people (or guilds) go to farm conquest points with the new XP to conquest point system. People will always find other areas to farm things or power level. Heck, the pubs just do it in an open world area on Nar Shaddaa.

If you don't want to do it, then don't. But I still don't get why it's so important for you to feel you're "right" about this and that people should all have to play the game the way you do.
We have a zero tolerance policy for intolerance of any kind.

Visorknight
06.18.2019 , 01:27 AM | #9
It is not an exploit, we just use bug hunt to gain exp to level to 70 as we don't want to go through the extremely repetitive storyline again with a ton of cut scenes.

Nemmar
06.18.2019 , 01:36 AM | #10
Of course it is an exploit, though keith didn't outright call it that. Notice how he says "fixed". If it's fixed cause it was wrong eh?

It allowed you to bypass the leveling and all the content they created for it. The design of this game isn't to kill mobs korean mmo style. It's to quest, do your story, your heroics, your pvp and your dungeons/operations.