Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Annihilation / Watchman Set Bonuses and Tactical Items

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes > Sentinel / Marauder
Annihilation / Watchman Set Bonuses and Tactical Items
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

EricMusco
04.16.2019 , 09:59 AM | #1 This is the last staff post in this thread.  
Hey folks,

Following our Onslaught announcement at SW Celebration we want to start diving into feedback right away. I want to use this thread to talk about Tactical Item effects and Set Bonuses for Annihilation and Watchman Disciplines. Our goal for set bonuses is to introduce new bonuses, and potentially with even new sizes so you can mix and match. Tactical Items are a new item type that is meant to be build defining and most likely to directly impact how an ability works. For inspiration here are two completely made up Chain Lightning Examples:
  1. Chain Lightning now does all of its total damage to only one target, and no longer jumps.
  2. Chain Lightning now jumps even more and does additional damage to secondary targets.

That would allow you to take a standard ability and allow it to be modified to fit your playstyle. Please use this thread to brainstorm ideas and make as many recommendations as you would like! For context:
  • Tactical Items: These should modify one of your Advanced Class/Discipline abilities to work differently. The goal is for you to use the ability in situations you previously wouldn’t (more often, against specific targets, etc)
  • Set Bonuses: These should be focused on the broader “kind of tools” your class uses, but not specific abilities. Some examples are sets that center around bleeds, force damage, lightning, shields, cover, and so on.
Set bonuses, tacticals, both, let us know what you would like to see. I may not respond frequently in this thread but know that I am going to be compiling everything and sending it over to the team.

-eric
Eric Musco | Community Manager
Follow us on Twitter @SWTOR | Like us on Facebook
[Contact Us] [Rules of Conduct] [F.A.Q.]

shyroman
04.16.2019 , 12:13 PM | #2
A tactical item that reduces the cooldown of annihilate back to 2.x values of 6 seconds would be interesting. Especially with extra abilities we have now and the ability priorities, the rotation would feel very different while still keeping its core identity.
Ryann - Sniper | Ryannack - Sorcerer | Apophas - Marauder
Jesicca - Mercenary | Lindseey - Gunslinger
Origin - Honey Badgers
Star Forge

Spasi
04.16.2019 , 04:28 PM | #3
I have the idea of a ability that immediately finishes the duration of DoTs and does the remaining damage instantly.Kinda like Sage and their HoT.

orangenkaiser
04.17.2019 , 04:14 PM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by EricMusco View Post
Hey folks,

Following our Onslaught announcement at SW Celebration we want to start diving into feedback right away. I want to use this thread to talk about Tactical Item effects and Set Bonuses for Annihilation and Watchman Disciplines. Our goal for set bonuses is to introduce new bonuses, and potentially with even new sizes so you can mix and match. Tactical Items are a new item type that is meant to be build defining and most likely to directly impact how an ability works. For inspiration here are two completely made up Chain Lightning Examples:
  1. Chain Lightning now does all of its total damage to only one target, and no longer jumps.
  2. Chain Lightning now jumps even more and does additional damage to secondary targets.

That would allow you to take a standard ability and allow it to be modified to fit your playstyle. Please use this thread to brainstorm ideas and make as many recommendations as you would like! For context:
  • Tactical Items: These should modify one of your Advanced Class/Discipline abilities to work differently. The goal is for you to use the ability in situations you previously wouldn’t (more often, against specific targets, etc)
  • Set Bonuses: These should be focused on the broader “kind of tools” your class uses, but not specific abilities. Some examples are sets that center around bleeds, force damage, lightning, shields, cover, and so on.
Set bonuses, tacticals, both, let us know what you would like to see. I may not respond frequently in this thread but know that I am going to be compiling everything and sending it over to the team.

-eric
**Current set bonuses:
Weaponmaster

2-piece Battering Assault or Zealous Strike increases damage dealt by 2% for 15 seconds. Cannot occur more than once every 30 seconds.

4-piece Reduces the cooldown of Frenzy or Valorous Call by 15 seconds. Additionally, activating Berserk or Zen increases all damage dealt by 3% for 10 seconds.

6-piece Activating Ravage, Blade Dance, Duel Saber Throw, or Twin Saber Throw will grant Weaponmaster’s/Challenger’s Critical Bonus making your next Gore, Furious Strike and Annihilate or Lance, Concentrated Slice and Merciless Slash critically hit. This effect can’t occur more than once every minute.

**Some set bonus suggestions:
1. Reduces the cooldown of Frenzy or Valorous Call by 15 seconds. Additionally, activating Berserk or Zen increases all damage dealt by 5% for X seconds.

2. Battering Assault or Zealous Strike increases damage dealt by 5% for X seconds. Cannot occur more than once every X seconds.

3. Activating Gore, Furious Strike, and Annihilate or Lance, Concentrated Slice, and Merciless Slash will grant Weaponmaster’s/Challenger’s Critical Bonus making your next Ravage or Blade Dance critically hit and increase Critical Chance by 25% for the next 6 seconds. This effect cannot happen more than once every X seconds.

4. Activating Duel Saber Throw or Twin Saber Throw allows Vicious Throw or Dispatch to be used against a target at any health level.

5. Taking damage while Cloak of Pain or Rebuke is active deals constant damage to all enemies within melee range for the duration of Cloak of Pain or Rebuke. This effect can not happen more than once every X secs.

**Tactical Item ideas:
1. Force Scream or Devasting Blast and Blade Storm or Clashing Blast grant an additional 15% movement bonus for X seconds.

2. Dual Saber Throw and Twin Saber throw hits only the targeted enemy and deals 100% more damage.
Snazzy Signature here

kunderam
04.17.2019 , 04:15 PM | #5
I think the trick with these tactical options will be to have them all be viable choices, or at a least viable in a certain situations. Otherwise one optimal setup will emerge, and that’s how everyone will gear, defeating the purpose. So I there probably has to be some sort of tradeoff, probably centered around things like sustained damage vs burst, or PvE vs PvP utility, or group utility vs individual damage, etc. A few ideas bearing that I mind:
  • Merciless Slash/Annihilate does X% more damage, but burns/bleeds do X% less
  • Burns/Bleeds no longer heal, but do x% more damage if spread to one or more targets
  • Burns/Bleeds cannot be cleansed, but do x% less damage
  • Instead of increasing party-wide damage, Inspiration/Berserk does X healing to all party members instantly, or puts a HoT on all party members, or protects all party members from damage for X seconds
  • Dispatch/Viscous Throw can be activated at any enemy health %, has longer range, but does less damage
  • Twin Saber throw also spreads burns/bleeds, but at a reduced damage to the secondary targets

There are also perhaps ways they can change the way certain abilities work, without necessarily changing the overall damage output significantly, and that could be really fun. Some ideas I haven’t really thought through yet, but just spitballing:
  • Make twin saber throw be like a damage version of wandering mend – it hits your current target, plus X more (maybe based on highest/lowest health?) – just like the idea of sabers flying around the whole room
  • Have force stasis/force choke stun for a slightly shorter time, but then also throw the target
  • Change force stasis/force choke to a pull
  • Transcendence only affects you, but increases speed x% more (cue Bennie Hill music)
These would be applicable to any of the disciplines, so that might be a nice option too.
Kundera Milan
<Delusions of Grandeur>

Avuras
04.17.2019 , 05:23 PM | #6
To organize them a bit more easily, I'll list my ideas on an ability-by-ability basis. I'll post again at a later point with ideas for set bonuses, but for now I'll focus on Tactical Items:

Force Melt
This ability already has an Area-of-Effect aspect thanks to the Burning Sweep passive allowing Force Sweep to spread it to other targets, so any such effects on a Tactical Item would be fairly redundant. I do see some other good possibilities, however.
  • Conflagration: Force Melt deals all of its damage instantly instead of as a burn effect, causing the ability to always do either its minimum damage possible (no crit) or absolute maximum damage possible (crit), rather than somewhere between the two. Timing this with the use of Zen could have some fairly explosive results for the unfortunate target, as well as allowing the other 5 charges from the Zen buff to be expended on more ticks of Cauterize or Overload Saber. If the animation for this ability and the visual effect on the target could also be modified to reflect all this damage being done at once, even better.
  • Searing Winds: If any target is struck by Force Sweep while the Force Melt burn effect is present, up to 8 enemies within 5 meters of the target will be hit by an Area-of-Effect Force attack which deals moderate elemental damage. This is triggered individually for every target with an active Force Melt burn effect from that specific character and is handled separately from the burn effect being spread by the Burning Sweep passive (avoiding conflict with that passive ability), enabling additional sustained Area-of-Effect support from the Watchman Discipline through this ability synergy.
  • Walking Bomb: Force Melt no longer places a burn effect on the target, but instead "primes" them for detonation, with the "trigger" being Force Sweep. When triggered, any enemies within a 7 meter radius of the target are hit for a heavy amount of elemental damage, which also removes the "priming" effect from the target. Has anyone seen this sort of thing from the Dragon Age series? It's kind of like that. This essentially converts the spreading burn aspect of the Burning Sweep passive into an instant Area-of-Effect attack instead, while also enabling a certain degree of tactics in permitting the player to choose when the detonation effect is ultimately triggered (or not at all, if the "priming" effect is allowed to time out on the target).

Cauterize
This ability also already has an Area-of-Effect aspect due to the Burning Sweep passive, but I do see an opportunity:
  • Searing Slash: Cauterize hits up to 3 targets in a frontal Area-of-Effect, dealing all its elemental damage instantly instead of as a burn effect, with the elemental damage reduced slightly to compensate. Any active charges of Zen are still consumed to allow the elemental portion of the damage done to each target to automatically crit. This provides an alternative to Cyclone Slash when faced with a lower number of enemies, dealing a greater total damage in those situations.

Merciless Slash
I do not see many ways to directly improve this ability through Tactical Items aside from lowering its cooldown somehow, but I do see potential through synergy with other abilities:
  • Zealous Precision: Merciless Slash consumes all remaining Zen for additional damage, with each charge consumed allowing the ability to ignore a certain percentage of the target's armor. Consuming all six charges ignores 100% of the target's armor.
  • No Mercy: Merciless Slash refreshes any Cauterize, Overload Saber, and Force Melt burn effects on a target on a successful hit, refunding 1 focus for each burn effect refreshed, and dealing additional moderate elemental damage for each burn effect currently present. Combined with the Focused Slash Sentinel passive, Merciless Slash refunds all 4 focus if all three burn effects are present on a target.

Overload Saber
This ability seems to have the most potential when used as a self buff, and I have some ideas in regards to this:
  • Unstable Energy: Overload Saber no longer causes melee attacks to place a burn effect on the target, but instead allows the next 3 melee attacks to ignore 30% of the target's armor.
  • Searing Ward: Overload Saber no longer causes melee attacks to place a burn effect on the target, but instead grants 3 charges of Searing Ward, which increases melee and ranged defense by 15% for 6 seconds. Every incoming attack successfully parried or deflected while this buff is active will consume a charge and place a moderate burn effect on the attacker, which can stack up to 3 times.

SpleneticGamer
04.22.2019 , 04:51 PM | #7
A Tactical Item to increase all DoT damage by X% (let's say 150% to make it feel like DoTs are really awesome again) and lowers all other damage by Y% (let's say 20%).
A tactical Item to increase the damage of Smash by 100% while increasing its radius to 8m and causes Smash to spread all 3 DoTs to all targets hit.
A Tactical Item to make Annihilate and Cauterize have a 6 second cooldown (Annihilate being 6 seconds when you have max stacks of Annihilator for obvious reasons) like they used to.

2pc set bonus: Battering Assault increases all DoT dealt by 5% for 18 seconds while increasing all healing from DoTs by 10% or 15% (not sure which honestly). Can occur once every 30 seconds.
4pc set bonus: increases the duration of Force Rend by 3 seconds (allows 100% uptime and make it so it ticks an additional time as a result)
6pc set bonus: All DoTs do X% (idk 75%) more damage while under the effects of your Berserk and grants an additional 3 stacks of Berserk

Ardarell_Solo
04.24.2019 , 04:33 AM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by SpleneticGamer View Post
A Tactical Item to make Annihilate and Cauterize have a 6 second cooldown (Annihilate being 6 seconds when you have max stacks of Annihilator for obvious reasons) like they used to.
That would definitely make me return to the game.

If a combination of tactical items could bring the specc close to its 2.6 state, I'd be in heaven. Meaning additionally:

- Cauterize actually on 12 sec CD, with reset Proc by Merciless Slash, Slash and Dispatch - plus newly Twin Saber Throw, with propability like Merciless Slash

- Force Melt's damage is reduced and dealt instantly. Force Melt has a chance to reset Cauterize.
El'ethon - Sentinel <Taking the Jawas to Alderaan> T3-M4

SpleneticGamer
04.24.2019 , 02:54 PM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by Ardarell_Solo View Post
That would definitely make me return to the game.

If a combination of tactical items could bring the specc close to its 2.6 state, I'd be in heaven. Meaning additionally:

- Cauterize actually on 12 sec CD, with reset Proc by Merciless Slash, Slash and Dispatch - plus newly Twin Saber Throw, with propability like Merciless Slash

- Force Melt's damage is reduced and dealt instantly. Force Melt has a chance to reset Cauterize.
2.6 Anni Mara... oh the wonderful memories that brings back. Reminds me of pre-1.6, i believe it was, when we could use Obfuscate on operation bosses.

hallucigenocide
04.28.2019 , 02:28 AM | #10
maybe something like a morph on overload saber that causes your blade storm to cost less and cleave(2-3 targets)
or an added leech on force melt for some added tankyness in solo play.

maybe something that gives you more alacrity for every target hit with cauterize.
one that turns all the dots into one button at reduced damage for people seeking less ability bloat.
and one that morphs rebuke into an offensive damage aura not reliant on getting hit and without the damage mitigation.

idk.