Madness is now the PvP spec

Nocorras

http://imgur.com/iVuGA --- First game of madness, I was more worried about watching my new procs and learning my new keybinds so my game play was hindered a bit.

Overall survivability is insane now. Damage is as good or better than deception. Burst damage can be good but it relies on procs.

I'm not even decent at madness yet (I have to think of what to do because I haven't played it), but once I reach the level I did with deception I don't think I will be able to go back to deception there's really no point imo.

Edited by Nocorras

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why is survivabity "insane" now?

Without the option to be in tank stance, i would think survivability goes down.

I go every single game with 0-4 deaths pre tank stance nerf, I have no problems with survivability ever, but now it's better 40% crit means I'm critting a lot on dots.

Edited by Nocorras

Why is survivabity "insane" now?

Without the option to be in tank stance, i would think survivability goes down.

Huge increase to healing!

Go into a warzone, death field, than tab target lightning discharges for 2% health every crit =) Notice his 90k healing

Details, por favor?

Spec, rotation?

Spec -- http://i.imgur.com/tjwxv.jpg --- Didn't always use maul when it proced, you could probably not spec for maul. I chose to go lightning recovery because 20 second force speeds are too powerful for escaping.

As for a rotation, I just made sure I discharged the target I was meleeing and tried to get my dots on him. Death field as many targets as you can for the heals and it crits about ~2.5k. You may not even want to spec into maul, thrash hits hard when it crits.

As someone said to me, padding your stats with the Shockfrozen water heal medals is nothing to brag about.

DoT spec always pads your stats, actual contriibution to PvP is usually quite low.

Killing people doesn't pad stats. shockfrozen water was ~30k healing

Edited by Nocorras

Madness is definitely far better now than before. Its pretty sick, tbh. Not sure if I'd call it "the" tree for pvp, since Darkness is still made of awesome utility, but they're both great now.

Still waiting for Deception to get some of that love though. Then the class would be set.

Sigh, I have a feeling a nerf will come very soon in regard to dotting up a bunch of people with Discharge. May very well end up something great for PvE being nerfed due to QQ from PvP.

That's not even where most the damage comes from. Thrash hits huge, deathfield crits 3k, chain shock, assassinate always hits hard, etc.

That's not even where most the damage comes from. Thrash hits huge, deathfield crits 3k, chain shock, assassinate always hits hard, etc.

Yes, but those all require actively doing the damage, and other than DF, works on one target at a time. Discharge is one of the if not the highest dmg per GCD ability we have, and it can now be used in a set it and forget it kinda way. Nothing stops you from putting a dot on the entire opposing team within range, then proceed to do your huge Thrash hits and whatnot.

You may not think it's doing a lot of damage, but it most definitely is. And other than dropping cooldowns that wipe debuffs, it's indefensible and requires almost no effort. Say it does 2400 dmg (tooltip on mine says 2486) over 18 seconds, that's 133 dmg per second. You cast that on 4 targets you're doing 522 dmg per second or 31320 per minute. 5 minutes of this in a game gives you 150k+ dmg.

Keep in mind while the dots are doing their dmg you're still pounding on targets with Thrash, DF, and Shock. You don't think other classes will cry nonstop when they figure out what they're dying to?

How they can fix this I don't know, b/c they made Raze proc only if Discharge is on target, but they must allow you to also be able to proc Raze off targets you're attacking. I suspect they will make it so Raze only procs while in LC, rather than requiring the Discharge from LC to be on target, and put the 15s or whatever it was cooldown back on Discharge.

Edited by jkcheng

I have exactly the same spec on my shadow but I took electric execution instead of duplicity since maul without induction isn't worth it imo. double strike hits for much more. But I agree, the spec is loads of fun and is great at applying pressure with no cd on discharge

I have exactly the same spec on my shadow but I took electric execution instead of duplicity since maul without induction isn't worth it imo. double strike hits for much more. But I agree, the spec is loads of fun and is great at applying pressure with no cd on discharge

What numbers are you seeing? My Maul w/o EW hits for over 1800 to over 2k, crits for over 3k, my Thrash has to crit on both hits to get 2200.

Sigh, I have a feeling a nerf will come very soon in regard to dotting up a bunch of people with Discharge. May very well end up something great for PvE being nerfed due to QQ from PvP.

Nah... Sorcerers get a free instant dot they don't even have to spec into that they can tab spam, plus it is even on a 15 second timer instead of our 18 second (more dmg per tick).

There would be no reason to take away a spammable dot that you have to spec into and can only be used in melee range.

Overall I'm not convinced by screenshots, but I am convinced by enough people saying good things about Madness now. I'll try out a full spec tonight (same one OP linked) and report back as well.

What numbers are you seeing? My Maul w/o EW hits for over 1800 to over 2k, crits for over 3k, my Thrash has to crit on both hits to get 2200.

Well yesterday still playing as deception I was hitting for 1.2k ish hits and 2.5 k crits with maul ( bear in mind I only had 3 champion pieces and the rest were orange with blue mod enhancements ) after I respeced and got 3 new pieces thanks to the new bag reward system my trash was doing around 1k non crit. maybe those extra pieces make a bigger difference than I tought since you say u were doing 1800 non crit

Nah... Sorcerers get a free instant dot they don't even have to spec into that they can tab spam, plus it is even on a 15 second timer instead of our 18 second (more dmg per tick).

There would be no reason to take away a spammable dot that you have to spec into and can only be used in melee range.

Overall I'm not convinced by screenshots, but I am convinced by enough people saying good things about Madness now. I'll try out a full spec tonight (same one OP linked) and report back as well.

Good to know, this is power I've never possessed in my MMO career (played rogue in WoW) so it seems pretty amazing you can sit around and collect dmg.