4v4 in normal PVP why

rethrox

We’ve been asking for them to keep the 2 versions seperate since they implemented it. They refuse to do it and have always said (even when we had 1000’s more pvp players), that they feared it would affect the queue pop times.

BioWare have always fallen back on queue pop vs quality. They do not give an F if the quality is crap as long as their holly grail pop times are low.

So if they wouldn’t split them when we had 1000’s more PVPers, they certainly won’t do it now when we are lucky to get enough to have 8v8 matches before they often revert to 4v4 outside of prime time and low queue numbers.

I remember when you could queue pvp 24 hours a day and get pops with in 1-2 mins or sometimes instant. Those were the days :o

They won’t split the queues. What we have is what we’ll ever get.

Back in the day eh? Hehe 😅

I remember 3 hour q pops on Goluud corridor, literally made me quit pvp so as not to waste my money/time haha 😂

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Back in the day eh? Hehe 😅

I remember 3 hour q pops on Goluud corridor, literally made me quit pvp so as not to waste my money/time haha 😂

I guess it depends on server.

I never had any issues on the APAC servers or the west coast when we were first merged to the US. It wasn’t until 4.0 that server pops started to decline for me.

I guess it depends on server.

I never had any issues on the APAC servers or the west coast when we were first merged to the US. It wasn’t until 4.0 that server pops started to decline for me.

Oh this was like 1.something. The pvp population was so small us Glooders are like a rare breed haha 😂

At least I joined a few decent pve guilds to keep me occupied until the server merges helped buff the population!

Thank you Pantheon and Drop it like its Hoth for helping me thru this turbulent time <3. Now ironically they are gone cos so has the difficult pve content in the game. Biowares concept of balance in any aspect of this game is kinda funny tbh 😂

Oh this was like 1.something. The pvp population was so small us Glooders are like a rare breed haha 😂

At least I joined a few decent pve guilds to keep me occupied until the server merges helped buff the population!

Thank you Pantheon and Drop it like its Hoth for helping me thru this turbulent time <3. Now ironically they are gone cos so has the difficult pve content in the game. Biowares concept of balance in any aspect of this game is kinda funny tbh 😂

EU Language server? Or US server?

And yes, 99% of the games lost population comes down to Bioware making the dumbest decisions with most things.

Edited by TrixxieTriss

You have no clue what anyone else knows or doesnt know, thats the truth.

Find a mirror, take a look, now you know the problem.

The only "problem" is snowflakes like you that cannot take criticism but instead have some sort of messed up pride in being bad. Gone are the days of the old-school competitive mentality of "oh that guy beat me, what can I do to get better?" Instead we have people like you that prefer to dodge any challenging mode and lie to themselves about their own skill level.

The only "problem" is snowflakes like you that cannot take criticism but instead have some sort of messed up pride in being bad. Gone are the days of the old-school competitive mentality of "oh that guy beat me, what can I do to get better?" Instead we have people like you that prefer to dodge any challenging mode and lie to themselves about their own skill level.

Snowflake, lol

Again you assume, and we all know what happens when you assume.

But i thank you for reinforcing exactly why ranked has died in this game, the general attitude of its most vocal participants.

Arena is just dull and boring. There was a 3yr gap in my play. I came back because of the update and the "play your way" tagline, which unfortunately is about as far from what I had imagined as possible.

They murdered crafting, blocked picking stats until the character is finished, and are starving out PvP. With only one viable choice left, how is that "play your way"?

Oh well, I was hoping they were going back to the days where there was a plethora of choice. FP if you like it or PvP, progress is about the same. Pick which stats you like to level. Instead I'm stuck running FPs because the rate of progress there FAR outstrips every other method and because PvP has been reduced to mostly arenas.

I loved playing back when strategic maps were the norm and you could progress via PvP at roughly the same rate as via PvE. I don't even bother queuing PvP now. Honestly, I'd rather land in a strategic map with 4v4 than an arena. I do like the arenas now and then to satisfy the occasional bust of blood lust, but not every single time!

That's what warzones are, so the lul is on you.

Ever play ranked 8v8s? You need to kill people to win otherwise you get steamrolled. Take 8 "objective" players and put them against 8 arena/number farm players and the players who can actually play their class and kill other players will win 10/10 times in Warzones.

Ever play ranked 8v8s? You need to kill people to win otherwise you get steamrolled. Take 8 "objective" players and put them against 8 arena/number farm players and the players who can actually play their class and kill other players will win 10/10 times in Warzones.

Once again, lol @ "can actually play thier class" as if only you and arena players have this amazing ability and no one but you has a clue.

The only thing your right about is that people that know their class will win out in any format against people who do not, but... this idea that non ranked or objective players don't know their class is pure arrogant nonsense.

Arena is just dull and boring. There was a 3yr gap in my play. I came back because of the update and the "play your way" tagline, which unfortunately is about as far from what I had imagined as possible.

They murdered crafting, blocked picking stats until the character is finished, and are starving out PvP. With only one viable choice left, how is that "play your way"?

Oh well, I was hoping they were going back to the days where there was a plethora of choice. FP if you like it or PvP, progress is about the same. Pick which stats you like to level. Instead I'm stuck running FPs because the rate of progress there FAR outstrips every other method and because PvP has been reduced to mostly arenas.

I loved playing back when strategic maps were the norm and you could progress via PvP at roughly the same rate as via PvE. I don't even bother queuing PvP now. Honestly, I'd rather land in a strategic map with 4v4 than an arena. I do like the arenas now and then to satisfy the occasional bust of blood lust, but not every single time!

This is POTD. Nicely said and right on point bro. ^

"They murdered crafting, blocked picking stats until the character is finished, and are starving out PvP. With only one viable choice left, how is that "play your way"?"

Right. It's like what they say about politicians telling you they are doing something to help you, it always means the exact opposite.

"Play your way." Right. lol, the phrase is ridiculous when you think about them applying that to this last update/expansion.

Exactly. Ranked 8v8 players were pretty good at killing the other teams, by out healing, outdpsing and outtanking them.

It still happens in regs too, one side usually tries to get the upper hand and then they pick off stragglers who don't know enough to regroup before attacking.

Edited by RACATW

this idea that non ranked or objective players don't know their class is pure arrogant nonsense.

Theoretically, it's true that someone can only play regs and still know their class. But there's no way to verify it, because they haven't been tested in the crucible of ranked. A lot of regstars think they know their class, then they come into ranked and get smashed repeatedly.

So maybe you do really know how to play your class well...but what is your basis for thinking that? Success in regs? Somehow you just "know"? These are obviously not reliable indicators.

Edited by JediMasterAlex

Theoretically, it's true that someone can only play regs and still know their class. But there's no way to verify it, because they haven't been tested in the crucible of ranked. A lot of regstars think they know their class, then they come into ranked and get smashed repeatedly.

So maybe you do really know how to play your class well...but what is your basis for thinking that? Success in regs? Somehow you just "know"? These are obviously not reliable indicators.

This is it exactly. Big ego regstars come into ranked then complain "toxic," when in fact it is their attitude after having their bubble popped..... because that's exactly where they were living: in their own bubble.

You can't play one game type and expect to be top tier.

Edited by Rion_Starkiller

Im sorry but "tested in the crucible of ranked" ... melodramatic much?

Tell you what, humor me here, what is it about playing ranked that tells you a person knows more about their class than any other genre of play?

Lets quantify that shall we?

The only thing Ranked gives you thats "verifiable" is rating which if your basing it on that we both know thats nonsense aside from a very small handful of players.

Literally anything else is subjective so im curious what you feel verifies this knowledge?

Im sorry but "tested in the crucible of ranked" ... melodramatic much?

I did waver on using it, but I liked it, so it stayed in.

Tell you what, humor me here, what is it about playing ranked that tells you a person knows more about their class than any other genre of play?

Lets quantify that shall we?

The only thing Ranked gives you thats "verifiable" is rating which if your basing it on that we both know thats nonsense aside from a very small handful of players.

Literally anything else is subjective so im curious what you feel verifies this knowledge?

Happily. The first and most obvious test you face in ranked is how you handle being focused. You might think you know what it's like to be focused in regs, but it's nothing like the coordinated focus you will get when you play ranked. You have to be able to rotate your defensive cooldowns with precision, be aware of what your teammates are doing, and usually kite to survive as long as possible. And often if you make a mistake, you die, and you cost your team the round. In regs, if you make a mistake and die, you just respawn and you have tons of time to make up for it.

Not only do you need to know how to survive while focused, you have to be able to maximize your damage output while focused. There are some players that are great at kiting, but they sometimes play scared and end up doing too little damage in the process. There's a balance to be had that only comes with experience. And even the best players make mistakes and get globaled in ranked from time to time.

The second test you face is how well you can focus on relevant targets. In regs it's very easy to stay on whatever target you want because hardly anyone is kiting or stealthing out. And even if they do, most players readily swap to another target and keep doing damage. In ranked, you have to be able to prioritize and always be taking an action that will contribute to winning the round. People that are happy to just tab target to the nearest enemy and do damage do not fare well in ranked.

Another test is how well you use whatever your class utilities are. For sorcs, mercs and ops, that's offheals, and cleanses. For sins, that's offguard. For maras, that's predation and obfuscate, etc. Every class has some sort of cc. Knowing how and when to use these abilities takes a lot of awareness, and I'll admit it's the weakest part of my game (due in no small part to my visual disability but that's a separate issue).

More important than anything I mentioned so far is the pressure and the pace of ranked games. The rounds are usually over relatively quickly, and you have to be on the ball all the time to be successful. You're playing far better players than the average regs players, and there is elo/rewards on the line. There's simply more at stake.

Lastly, notice that I'm not making any arguments based on rating. I'm talking about how the experience of playing ranked itself reveals whether you really know your class or not. The more legit success you have in ranked, clearly the better you know your class. Usually that translates to a higher rating.

I've been with you guys since the start, but when you choose to add arena type combat to reg casual pvp, you really messed up,,, i'm not sure who's idea it was, but take a step back and look at it and realize that 4v4 is only meant for arena pvp ranked player base,,,i have know fkn clue who was in charge of this,but please look at the stats for pve and pvp player proggression, i don't even want to que anymore because it is so stupid , and has been for years! fix your game for the cash cows you want!!!!!

you need to look at the big picture,,,i know you were losing peps because of ques,, so pvp was so long, but that is not the case anymore with the server merges,,,put it back the way it was, and all will be fine,,,,,,,ty, gg

Honestly I wish they never added 4v4. What I'd give for 8v8 ranked back.

I did waver on using it, but I liked it, so it stayed in.

Happily. The first and most obvious test you face in ranked is how you handle being focused. You might think you know what it's like to be focused in regs, but it's nothing like the coordinated focus you will get when you play ranked. You have to be able to rotate your defensive cooldowns with precision, be aware of what your teammates are doing, and usually kite to survive as long as possible. And often if you make a mistake, you die, and you cost your team the round. In regs, if you make a mistake and die, you just respawn and you have tons of time to make up for it.

Not only do you need to know how to survive while focused, you have to be able to maximize your damage output while focused. There are some players that are great at kiting, but they sometimes play scared and end up doing too little damage in the process. There's a balance to be had that only comes with experience. And even the best players make mistakes and get globaled in ranked from time to time.

The second test you face is how well you can focus on relevant targets. In regs it's very easy to stay on whatever target you want because hardly anyone is kiting or stealthing out. And even if they do, most players readily swap to another target and keep doing damage. In ranked, you have to be able to prioritize and always be taking an action that will contribute to winning the round. People that are happy to just tab target to the nearest enemy and do damage do not fare well in ranked.

Another test is how well you use whatever your class utilities are. For sorcs, mercs and ops, that's offheals, and cleanses. For sins, that's offguard. For maras, that's predation and obfuscate, etc. Every class has some sort of cc. Knowing how and when to use these abilities takes a lot of awareness, and I'll admit it's the weakest part of my game (due in no small part to my visual disability but that's a separate issue).

More important than anything I mentioned so far is the pressure and the pace of ranked games. The rounds are usually over relatively quickly, and you have to be on the ball all the time to be successful. You're playing far better players than the average regs players, and there is elo/rewards on the line. There's simply more at stake.

Lastly, notice that I'm not making any arguments based on rating. I'm talking about how the experience of playing ranked itself reveals whether you really know your class or not. The more legit success you have in ranked, clearly the better you know your class. Usually that translates to a higher rating.

I thank you for a civil answer.

You've given me 5 things here, handling focus, putting out damage while being focused, use of utilities, pressure, and experience... and while i concede completely that much of it happens MORE in ranked, i cant agree that its unique to it.

I thank you for a civil answer.

You've given me 5 things here, handling focus, putting out damage while being focused, use of utilities, pressure, and experience... and while i concede completely that much of it happens MORE in ranked, i cant agree that its unique to it.

There are a lot of other aspects I could mention as well, like adaptability and teamwork. Every ranked game you have different teammates, different opponents, different class compositions. You have to be able to assess the situation to understand not only what your team's strategy will be, but also what your opponents' likely strategy will be. I could go on and on.

And again, in theory you're right that most everything I've described can happen in regs. But the thing is, it doesn't. All of us that play ranked have also played a ton of regs. And we can all tell you beyond a shadow of a doubt that ranked is a whole different ball game. So much so that many argue practicing in regs barely helps you play ranked, because they're that different.

There's not really anything else I can type to convince you. You'd really have to experience a decent amount of ranked play yourself to really see the difference.

Edited by JediMasterAlex

There are a lot of other aspects I could mention as well, like adaptability and teamwork. Every ranked game you have different teammates, different opponents, different class compositions. You have to be able to assess the situation to understand not only what your team's strategy will be, but also what your opponents' likely strategy will be. I could go on and on.

And again, in theory you're right that most everything I've described can happen in regs. But the thing is, it doesn't. All of us that play ranked have also played a ton of regs. And we can all tell you beyond a shadow of a doubt that ranked is a whole different ball game. So much so that many argue practicing in regs barely helps you play ranked, because they're that different.

There's not really anything else I can type to convince you. You'd really have to experience a decent amount of ranked play yourself to really see the difference.

Reminder, i have played ranked in this game and pretty much every other MMO. I'm not ignorant of how it plays or works.

No, i don't anymore, at least not in SWTOR, but i highly doubt its evolved that much in the last couple of seasons based on what i see and hear from those who do.

But, you are right, they are very different animals.

This. Only bad "objective players" (LUL) and people who have no idea how to play their class don't like arenas.

What is an objective player and how are they different from other PVPers? How does playing objectives make one "bad?"

Serious question, since it is possible to both dish out a ton of damage AND play objectives. Easy, even. The only map where that sometimes isn't the case is Odessen. But Voidstar, Novare Coast, Ancient Hypergate, and Yavin all involve fighting other players at nodes that are the objectives. How hard is it to target swap to the guy capping the node? Taking 8 seconds out of your rotation to cap also isn't going to prevent you from topping a leaderboard either.

Even Huttball doesn't require you to sacrifice a damage rotation to play objectives. You get objective points for killing enemy ball runners too.

The point being is that if you can't play objectives AND crush the leaderboard anywhere except Odessen, you're not as good at this game as you think. If you get 0 objective points in Huttball, or get capped on at Voidstar or in a big mid fight at Novare Coast "because situational awareness is HARD" and "can only focus on one enemy player at a time" you were bad in that match. End of story.

Edited by Aeneas_Falco