Explain SWTOR Crafting To Me

Trauglodyte

I realize that is kind of an open and idiotic sounding question/title but I'm having a bit of a hard time understanding crafting in SWTOR. So, bear with me while I ask this. Here is the situation:

I am a PvPer. I've been playing MMOs since '99 and have raided as a member of a top tier (I'd say top 3 or 4 guild) raid team in EQ, DAoC (to a point, there it was mostly PvP), and WoW. But, after all of those years of killing internet monsters, I've grown tired of it and just want to enjoy the fun of competing against people.

But this puts me in a situation with crafting that I don't know exactly what to do or what I'm goign to get out of it. I know that I can craft orange sets and then pull my WH mods out of them so that I look a little different. I know that I can RE, or buy the schematics, any gear that came out post-1.2 But, as I understand it, there isn't anything to be really gained that I can use by way of crafting that isn't already purchasable, and better, through PvP.

Am I correct in the above or am I missing something? I've got an Armormech Op and an Armstech Sniper and, quite frankly, I'm unsure of what use either of them is going to be. I did read that crafters will now be able to make mod slots in 1.3 and that they'll specific to the item/craft. But, is this it?

If you get crit crafted orange armor it will have a slot for augments in addition to the armoring, mod and enhancement and so will be better than the straight WH gear. You can also get slots in weapons, off hands, earpieces, implants and relics. Fitting these with top quality augments, which can only come from crafting, will be a significant boost to your stats.