Hit the spacebar!!

TonyACT

Managed to get in my 2nd group last night, I think it was Esselles? Lo and behold every time we got to a conversation 2 of my group kept spamming 'hit the spacebar dude'. One of them at least was ok with me reading the text, the other even more impatient. Silly me, I wanted the immersion to continue and had in mind listening to the conversations.

Of course, at the end the group dispersed while I was in the middle of typing 'see you later and thanks for the group'.

2 points of gameplay from my perspective out of this experience:

1) Get a grip. This is meant to be a new story-based approach to MMORPGs - if you don't like it, sorry, but I do, and I will continue to listen to the story until it bores me, then I will hit the bar, but I won't try and pressure others into it

2) I think we should get social points for kills, heals and chatting to others

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think eventually we're going to see region posts like, "LFM Esseles, no cutscenes." Not being sarcastic but a lot of people are impatient after they've grinded an instance out a few times.

I personally like watching Esseles, especially when someone chooses the dark side option in the one scene. :cool:

I like the conversation options and I try different ones when I run a flashpoint over.

Those folks should have set that expectation up with you when they grouped. Otherwise they needed to perform the FP the 'standard' way. Sounds like they were in it to farm gear.

1) Get a grip. This is meant to be a new story-based approach to MMORPGs - if you don't like it, sorry, but I do, and I will continue to listen to the story until it bores me, then I will hit the bar, but I won't try and pressure others into it
Lowest common denominator. Human is as Human does, after all. :D

2) I think we should get social points for kills, heals and chatting to others
Now this would be interesting. I can think of a few ways to abuse it though, so I wouldn't suggest implementing it without gobs of testing.

Unfortunately I believe that we have welcomed a large number of the Xbox/PS3 croud who just want to spank on through and not actually enjoy the game.

Now, before you all start, I know that some will have run it before, but does that mean that anyone new to the mission has to miss all of the content to appease you?

I think eventually we're going to see region posts like, "LFM Esseles, no cutscenes." Not being sarcastic but a lot of people are impatient after they've grinded an instance out a few times.

I personally like watching Esseles, especially when someone chooses the dark side option in the one scene. :cool:

I think I would be ok with that, better than being harassed through the run. Must admit I would also like to see the other options played out - I assume the little numbers next to our icons in conversations are a random roll to see who gets to talk?

when you finish reading a book, do you start it all over again? and again? and again? and again?

I usually wait a while to re-visit a book, and usually never more than 2 or 3 times if i really liked it.

Well I have plenty of books I have read multiple times. I guess the enjoyment reading is a lost art for many young people...

when you finish reading a book, do you start it all over again? and again? and again? and again?

I usually wait a while to re-visit a book, and usually never more than 2 or 3 times if i really liked it.

It doesn't mean you have to be a selfish, inconsiderate ***** to others even if you did go through it.

Unfortunately I believe that we have welcomed a large number of the Xbox/PS3 croud who just want to spank on through and not actually enjoy the game.

Now, before you all start, I know that some will have run it before, but does that mean that anyone new to the mission has to miss all of the content to appease you?

Right, because there's no PC gamers that just want to spank on through, I mean that never happened in WoW right?

Do you insist that other people skip through a book because you've already read it?

I would have been annoyed enough to let the selection timer run out on all the options after the second time they did that.

Ha ha - might do that on my next run through when I am considering choosing the dark side options, even though I am aiming for light on my character overall (only if the group does the same sort of thing though - starting to think I play much too politely :rolleyes:).

This is an amicable solution. Right now I just ignore the people who request spacebarring through everything, but eventually I'll be in the same place having seen the same thing over and over again.

Well I have plenty of books I have read multiple times. I guess the enjoyment reading is a lost art for many young people...

I also have read some books multiple times. I do not re-read them back to back to back tho, I usually read another five, then check back the first, then 5 more, then maybe one of those 10 again, then another 5...

maybe you like being a worldwide expert in THAT ONE book and ONLY THAT ONE.

Me, I love learning new things all the time, its like a drug, I just cannot stop expanding my mind.

different strokes for different folks, I suppose

be more selective about who you group with.

these things should be discussed beforehand..

1. loot rules. NBG? need for Companions? cash? etc
  2. Cutscenes? Zerg run? or casual, read everything
  3. discuss roles. who is healing? etc

I like the conversation options and I try different ones when I run a flashpoint over.

Those folks should have set that expectation up with you when they grouped. Otherwise they needed to perform the FP the 'standard' way. Sounds like they were in it to farm gear.

I did tell them up front that this was my first time in the FP, and also only the 2nd time I had grouped so I might be a little slow while I got used to things. Guess they didn't bother reading party chat, too busy running around.

Agree with your comments, must say I feel sorry for anyone who is new to MMORPGs, struggling to learn the game, and groups with a party who just want the mad dash. I can apppreciate folks repeating who want a quick run - as you say - setting expectations is a great idea.

I skip the conversations I've already been through and wait patiently while others watch them. It's not that long of a wait and despite what you might like to think, the galaxy does not revolve around you.

OP, just sigh to yourself and ignore them. They'll get over it once the fighting starts.