Vandin Huttball Playtest Sessions

EricMusco

• Dev Post

Hey folks,

Like we did for previous PTS updates, we are going to be running some focused playtest sessions for the new Vandin Huttball Warzone. This will allow us to ensure that a higher volume of players are in the queue at one time. The playtests will occur:

• Friday, 8/31: 2PM - 4PM PDT (9PM - 11PM GMT)
  • Saturday, 9/1 10AM: 12PM PDT (5PM - 7PM GMT)

Like always, we will be running around playing incognito alongside you! Hop in and don't forget to pass on your feedback on the new map, here.

In order to participate simply have a character of any level on any faction and queue up within the specific window. As a note, if you end up in an Arena match instead of Vandin, do your best not to leave the match. Instead try to complete it as quickly as possible and then requeue.

-eric

Edited by EricMusco

Nice to see you keep on going with the playtests! It is on a bit of a short notice though. Some people might need to reinstall the whole PTS again and that can take forever.

Maybe make something that just copies live install and alters it to PTS with a small PTS patch?

Looking forward to seeing the new map!

• Dev Post
Nice to see you keep on going with the playtests! It is on a bit of a short notice though. Some people might need to reinstall the whole PTS again and that can take forever.

Maybe make something that just copies live install and alters it to PTS with a small PTS patch?

Totally right on the short playtimes. I will make sure to be online on PTS tonight to monitor population. This way I can let people know if we have to call off the session if we don't have enough people.

Unfortunately due to the way that PTS works currently, small patches aren't possible for updates like this. We're always looking for ways to improve it though.

-eric

FYI if you were on the PTS for 5.9.2 (Rishi SH & WZ changes), you should only have a small patch for the PTS! You shouldn't have to redownload the whole PTS (unless you deleted it yourself).

Hope at least some people can come on for the playtests tonight and tomorrow (despite the very short notice). :)

Edited by Pandoras_Jar

For the second time, you've dropped a PTS with set playtimes and not given the players anywhere near enough time to get prepared or organised.

It would be really appreciated if you could let us know when the playtimes are a little ahead of time so players can download the 40gb PTS to take part. Maybe even run a swtor stream of you playing it at the beginning to get people involved? I understand that you streaming and playing will result in people only focusing you and not really testing the map but I'm sure a couple of games broadcast by you before you dip out would greatly encourage participation.

But I'm not your mother.

Are PTS character transfers even up? I played on the last PTS so I can play what I played on that but I was looking at copying another character and I don't see it as an option on the account section, and the /transfer/pts link isn't working.

• Dev Post
Are PTS character transfers even up? I played on the last PTS so I can play what I played on that but I was looking at copying another character and I don't see it as an option on the account section, and the /transfer/pts link isn't working.

Try now! Should be live.

If this wasn't on such short notice I'd love to participate. Two hours won't be enough time to download the entire PTS with the slow speeds from everyone else doing it and since I won't be getting off work till an hour after tomorrow's playtest ends I won't be able to participate in that either. Edited by Stncold

• Dev Post
If this wasn't on such short notice I'd love to participate. Two hours won't be enough time to download the entire PTS with the slow speeds from everyone else doing it and since i work on Saturdays I won't be able to participate tomorrow either. Hope everything goes smoothly though!

Appreciate the desire to help test! To abate any concerns, we will also be planning playtests for next weekend as well, likely Friday and Saturday again. I will post more details on timing next week.

-eric

I will be roaming the fleet / chat on my character from the last livestream, a level 70 Operative named "Probably Notmusco."

-eric

Good, spend some time there and listen to the overwhelming amount of 12 yr old degenerates. Then do something about it, like LEGACY wide ignore you have talked about for YEARS...

First, please turn off arenas. I only was on for about a half hour unfortunately, but all I got were arenas. I'm on here to help test, so I'm more than happy to wait around fleet for a while to get a pop to actually test.

2nd, is Muscosoontm actually you? Just wanna know if I should trust what he says :rak_03:

Edit: I'm pretty sure he is, and if so, I mentioned this to him already, but maybe an easier change than trying to remove all the arena's from rotation would be to increase the "pop arena" timer to like 60 minutes instead of the 5 minutes it's sitting at now. No idea if that actually is easier, or would just cause more problems, but figured it wouldn't hurt to mention.

Edited by LordTurin

Yes, a weeks notice to plan our time to test would help, last time it took 2 days to download the pts.

Because I am only just seeing this now (no forward warning), I’m not able to participate :(

Edited by TrixxieTriss

Regarding the playtest sessions, I got two Vandin matches yesterday and five Vandin matches today. That's not nearly enough to make up my mind on stuff like the layout and traps; I'd probably need twice that many matches. But adding more playtest sessions is not the solution; it would only result in less players per session and no warzone popping at all.

However, I have one wish: Please remove all arenas from the queue. There's nothing more disheartening than getting the third arena match in a row instead of Vandin. Even if you finish the arena quickly, it will take 2-3 minutes, during which time it is possible that the Vandin match ended, and then the same 16 player will get into Vandin again, so by the time you exit the arena, there are not enough players online for a second Vandin, so you get an arena again and the cycle repeats.

In that regard, the old matchmaking was better - by picking the players who were longest in queue, eventually everyone would get the Vandin map. Now with the new matchmaking, there is a huge imbalance on PTS. Some players get instant pops because the game, with whatever hidden ELO, decided that these players fit perfectly together, while other players are skipped even though they've been in queue much longer. It is especially annoying not knowing whether to queue as DPS or healer. I followed Musco's recommendation to spec to DPS, but then with the next Vandin match I got skipped, most likely since there were not enough healers but too many DPS, so I specced back to healer and got more Vandin pops afterwards.

Anyway, just remove arenas from the PTS matchmaking. I'd rather sit 20 minutes on fleet with no pop, that way I can start writing feedback for the forums or do other stuff, than to get an arena pop every couple minutes and then be let down to discover it is not Vandin, and have to fear I'll miss the next Vandin match.

Also, the 100ms+ latency from EU is very noticable, not just in endgame raid content but especially in PvP. How about adding a PTS server for European players? (obviously not for this PTS, but for future PTS cycles)

Especially for PvP, which I believe is more popular in the EU than US (not sure though), putting PvP patches on a European server would help a lot with testing. That way, if you have two playtest sessions, you could have one session during US primetime on the US server and another session during EU primetime on the EU server.

If you go back to testing story flashpoints or other stuff where latency does not matter much, it is not an issue. But if you plan on doing more PvP or endgame raiding test server cycles, it would definitely make sense to invest the resources to setup a European PTS in addition to the American PTS server.

Edited by Jerba

However, I have one wish: Please remove all arenas from the queue.

I think this is necessary in some fashion for the next play session. Either find a way to remove arenas, or as I saw someone else suggested, find a way to increase the "we give up on 8s and pop an arena instead" timer to like an hour or something.

With the way it was, it forced us players to coordinate when to queue. Yes, there were HB matches popping, but for the "left overs" we'd end up in an arena. So that meant that people would leave the queue, and then wait for the signal and try to queue all at once. I don't know how much it happened, but that could easily (in my opinion) lead to a situation where someone basically never got a HB. If it were only HB popping, then whoever didn't get one right away could wait in the queue and they would be sure to get the next one. But with it the way it was, if they waited in the queue they'd just get an arena instead... and then when it came time to "queue NOW!" again, it would be another toss up for whether they got into one or not.