Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Punish PPL leaving WZ - FAIL idea.

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > PvP
Punish PPL leaving WZ - FAIL idea.

TheRFC
02.13.2012 , 01:46 PM | #1
There's been a lot of chatter of punishing people in the SWTOR community who quit/ leave WZs prematurely.

"He who spareth the rod hateth his son: but he that loveth him correcteth him betimes"

- (Proverbs 13:24)

... appears to be most peoples' mentality who advocate punitive measures such as 30 minute bans from entering WZs after leaving early.

Why I think this would be an awful idea;

1 - Glitches in WZs

- Earlier I was playing and died. I return to the spawn area (Voidstar) and I'm unlucky enough to have the full-circle to wait to go down. When it finishes, it reset instantly and I wasn't able to get out of the spawn - I'd be then subject to a 30min ban through no fault of my own. This happens regularly.

- I'm often kicked from the game randomly, despite having a strong connection to the server and lag very rarely (well relatively, compared to what many have said).

- Many casual/ hardcore players may have other commitments and WZ Wins STILL count very few times. This puts a time-restriction on how long you have to play - why finish a game that is definitely lost (5-0 down in Huttball, team is getting farmed) when your next win may not count, anyways?

Brozen WZs

- IMO, Voidstar and Alderaan have broken spawn issues which means that for VS most games end on the first doors because the spawn is too fast - the other bases get taken in a couple of mins tops by comparison. In Alderaan the game is decided 99% of the time by who manages to secure the side-turrets because a handful can hold off a whole team w/ healers due to the insta-spawn from the side speeders.

----> Why stay when half your team is defending your sole turret for Defender Medals? Waste of time.

- Following up from last point, there are no OFFESIVE medals for attacking objectives. If you are losing it is more rewarding to NOT play the objective, especially in Alderaan.

AFKing

- I'd much rather somebody leave and have the opportunity to have someone take their place than people just not leaving and AFKing instead. That's a guarenteed man down and I've been in matches where 2-3 have been AFKing. If we punish people for leaving then there will be far more AFKers than ever before and it will turn into a complete joke.

LOTS of Casuals

- Being a SW title, this game attracts a lot of non-MMO players and we have a lot of casuals, hence the amount of threads about gear, etc. Some really aren't used to that element being novices at MMORPGs on the PvP-side of things. Fortunately/ Unfortunately, for a title like this they will make up a staggering proportion of the game's subscribers. If they're punished they're more likely to pull their subs and the rest of the gamers suffer from sparse patches/ content updates.

- If you're a hardcore gamer, Casuals are a necessary evil that you/ we have to live with until we can turn them to the 'dark-side' and let the throes of gaming addiction devour them

There's not MUCH to do post L50

- For a PvP heavy player, there really isn't much to do once you hit L50 aside from grind Valor and gear. I appreciate the game is still in its infancy, but that's the truth. Many people love to play their L50 char but start to punish people for leaving games and that bracket is going to take a massive hit leaving WZs very infrequent, and it will destroy the L50 bracket on lower-pop servers.

People need to CHILL

- Currently, whilst it may be frustrating, there is no PROs of winning over that of losing. Neither count for anything aside from Dailies currently (and don't most of the time even then). I'm not a particular COD fan, not having played since the 2nd day of BO, but one thing the series did right to attract people was to include very detailed stats - especially from Treyarch - applying it to WZs these may say what your overall DPS is or Healing per Second. It may say who scored in Huttball or applied the most damage to the enemy ball carrier. It doesn't do this, so you may be on the winning team and have just tried to go for medals and ignored the objective entirely, effectively being carrier but still have the highest DPS in the game (not saying you can't have W/ playing the objective, though).

This game is still in its infancy, it has a long way to go on the PvP side before being polished and many issues to address. If we start punishing people now then we won't get to see those changes implemented at all because they need the muneyz they lose subs and they can't do these things.

From a practical perspective, it'll never happen anyways. BW has some pretty tough challenges coming soon in the form of games like GW2 and WoW pandas (LOL...). They can't afford to make adjustments that may jeapardize their market-share when they've already made quite a hefty loss from poor sales (or so I keep hearing - that may be a hearsay FAIL).

EDIT: Suggestions have been posted in a new thread called 'Reward to PLAY, not to STAY'.

TheRFC
02.13.2012 , 01:54 PM | #2
Shameless self-bump b/c QQers keep spamming forum w/ identical whiney threads

Rakimou
02.13.2012 , 02:03 PM | #3
No.
Deserter debuff worked perfectly in all other wow clones.
People only understand threats.
Jedi Sentinel

EternalFinality
02.13.2012 , 02:06 PM | #4
No punishment for people who leave WZ - FAIL idea.

Jargonaut
02.13.2012 , 02:07 PM | #5
15 min debuff = good idea.
Mcpodd Stomp, Ithilmar's Chosen, Vengeance Juggernaut.

GlobalMMO.com - MyToons

Larce_Apollo
02.13.2012 , 02:08 PM | #6
Warzone PvP is suppsoed to be a team sport not a >ME< sport.

If you can't play with others and want to quit, then quit but be prepared for some form of consequence when you screw everyone on your team over.

AFKers and DCs are a seperate issue fromt he main complaint that most here have.

We simply hate scrubs who rage quit at the first sign of a loss.

Larce ApolloΩ
SWG/Bria Vet - CE Pre-Order - Full Beta Tester

thanealpha
02.13.2012 , 02:09 PM | #7
OP: Your list looks like an excuse for quitters.

Sorry, there's NO excuse.

When you queue, you agree to participate for 15 minutes with 15 other players. That's really not so much to ask for.

And if you quit like that every time in RL when you were losing NO ONE in real life would ever play games with you EVER.

Why is the expectation so lousy on-line?

Seductivpancakes
02.13.2012 , 02:12 PM | #8
Uh you rather have people leave so someone more useful will enter and help?

I rather not enter a game on a the losing end cause some guy rage quit.

If I'm going to lose, I had better be from the very start of the match.

TheRFC
02.13.2012 , 02:12 PM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by Rakimou View Post
No.
Deserter debuff worked perfectly in all other wow clones.
People only understand threats.

TOR isn't like other 'wow clones', though. Because of the SWs label it'll attract many casual players who aren't usually attracted by MMOs. Punish them, the game effectively dies when they pull their subs.

If we were dealing w/ a 'normal' MMO then yeah, why not? People know what to expect. But 'geek' is the new 'cool' for many ... but dungeons/ dragons is still very much on the extreme of the spectrum for many 'gamers'.

Anything with a brand-name like SW has to be handled with 'kid-gloves' effectively.

TheRFC
02.13.2012 , 02:14 PM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by Seductivpancakes View Post
Uh you rather have people leave so someone more useful will enter and help?

I rather not enter a game on a the losing end cause some guy rage quit.

If I'm going to lose, I had better be from the very start of the match.

IMO, I'm fine playing if I enter and the team is 1 or 2 down in Huttball or we're not that far behind in Alderaan, etc.

If you punish people for leaving they'll just AFK the rest of the match where you could have me come in and try or them who block new players entering.