Strongholds prestige points is lame and misleading

yoomazir

I try to make my SH pretty and lore coherent and only got 70k prestige points, so when I went to somebody else SH who had more than 80K prestige points, I thought he must had some pretty awesome stuff in there, right?

WRONG

All he had was tons of kolto barrels, basic lounges, mounts and some datacrons, and Bioware, you gonna tell me that dude being first in the public SH leaderboard is the way you intended Prestige points to work? Laaaaaaaaame.

Edited by yoomazir

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I visited the top three strongholds on my server tonight only to check if the players had improved them.

Nop, was tons of random items everywhere and most of them in the first rooms, they have not even bothered to spread out the items....

I wonder if Bioware is aware of how much their "prestige points" mislead the players

It should be a high priority issue for them since I suspect they want to earn cash by selling items on the cartel market. If nobody cares about strongholds except for the conquestbonus (that can be obtained by filling everything with trash) this market will go down very quick.

Lets hope they catch this ball that is tumbling down the hill

Edited by Icestar

Problem is that unlocking decorations give quite significant amount of prestige compared to actually placing them in your stronghold.

The solution will be easy. The more different decorations you use the more points you get or at least furniture and special items (not mounts or walls). This is to encourage actually decorate your stronghold than just mass placing few items and getting top leaderboard with just first unlocking bonus prestige.

My server i have also visited top prestige stronghold and it is imo terrible. But hes goal is not to have unique stronghold but just to show off few items and rest is empty.

Edited by Divona

Problem is that unlocking decorations give quite significant amount of prestige compared to actually placing them in your stronghold.

The solution will be easy. The more different decorations you use the more points you get or at least furniture and special items (not mounts or walls). This is to encourage actually decorate your stronghold than just mass placing few items and getting top leaderboard with just first unlocking bonus prestige.

My server i have also visited top prestige stronghold and it is imo terrible. But hes goal is not to have unique stronghold but just to show off few items and rest is empty.

No, you see, I carefully placed 50 Holographic trees ( and those didn't come cheap :-/ ) in my NS stronghold because it fitted lorewise, it think it would be not pretty/viable if I removed 49 trees just to put different random crap in order to increase the prestige points.

There must be some other way, a player vote mode comes in mind but that kind of sytsem could be abused somehow.

No, you see, I carefully placed 50 Holographic trees ( and those didn't come cheap :-/ ) in my NS stronghold because it fitted lorewise, it think it would be not pretty/viable if I removed 49 trees just to put different random crap in order to increase the prestige points.

There must be some other way, a player vote mode comes in mind but that kind of sytsem could be abused somehow.

Thats exactly the issue. You bought 50 trees and filled up whole stronghold. Or buy 50 basic chair and use all them. Points given should take into account complexity. It doesnt matter if you randomly put 50 different items. It is player choice if they have no desire on plan making stronghold looking good.

Voting is no go at all. It can be abused. What can be done is that stronghold counts visits of strangers per day/month. And it will add small amount prestige. Guild members visits cant count as it can be abused aswell.

Edited by Divona

There does need to be a different system or at least a system that runs alongside Prestige. It has been said that a voting system could be abused, but I see just filling every hook with achievement posters and basic furniture the same way. My experience of the top ranked Nar Shaddaa SHs is one of filling every hook with no consideration to anything other than showing what they have accumulated in game. I do however realise that some people are looking at Strongholds as a public show of all their achievements, sort of an art exhibition. Where as I have set mine up as a base of operations for my guild, fronted by a business which is also a front for my sideline of selling arms. As you can probably tell I am on an RP server, but that's not to say that others on different server types aren't using this approach too.

If done right a vote system could work, maybe 1 vote per account per week. That way you could revisit and see if there had been any changes, or additions which change your mind. It could also align with the weekly reset of quests and rep. This wouldn't have to replace Prestige or Completion %, but be another filter on the ranking board. That way you can search whichever criteria suits your needs best.

Any system can be abused, if I could think of the perfect one I wouldn't be sat this side of the dev wall, I'd be looking out the other way. I just feel that there needs to be another filter to give more options, and more options are good.

Feel free to tear my post apart, I just thought I'd share something I'd been discussing with others.

What can be done is that stronghold counts visits of strangers per day/month. And it will add small amount prestige. Guild members visits cant count as it can be abused aswell.

This still does not solve the misleading part of the original topic. The ones with crappy strongholds will still get alot of visitors that hopes to find a good stronghold only because it is ranked high.

Thats exactly the issue. You bought 50 trees and filled up whole stronghold. Or buy 50 basic chair and use all them. Points given should take into account complexity. It doesnt matter if you randomly put 50 different items. It is player choice if they have no desire on plan making stronghold looking good.

What are you trying to say here? A mishmash of different chairs is better than a carefully arranged row of the same type of chair? Changing the scoring to reward different item types does not eliminate prestige farming, it just makes it a bit more difficult, and also punishes those who want to decorate their stronghold with a certain theme.

Voting is no go at all. It can be abused. What can be done is that stronghold counts visits of strangers per day/month. And it will add small amount prestige. Guild members visits cant count as it can be abused aswell.

Anything can and will be abused. What's to prevent people from making arrangements on the forums to visit each other's strongholds? Or just have the stronghold owned by a character outside the guild? There's no foolproof way to determine who really is a stranger and who isn't.

Voting is a no go because it can be abused, but the alternatives all offered, as well as the current system can also be abused, and honestly, I think voting is the least likely to be abused because it would take a very concerted effort to do so, and its unlikely that people are randomly going to vote up/down someone just because. For the most part only people who are actually interested in GSH are going to visit them.

For the most part only people who are actually interested in GSH are going to visit them.

I actually don´t believe that only 2-3 players (that is how many I see visit others strongholds on the list on average) has a interest in GSH. I simply think that players do not visit other strongholds because they have learned it is a waste of time to go to those on the top list.

That is why another voting system is needed, to gain the communitys trust in the rankings again.

I think the main problem we currently have is that all teh people partakiing in the conquest clutter their strongholds to get the bonus to conquest activities, those players are also which get many drops which raises their personal prestige and with 100% completion in their strongholds they show up high on public listings. So, it was a stupid idea to combine the two aspects of the game since the powergamers will show up higher than the people who actually put some effort into their strongholds. BioWare, give us a voting system! Or at least an ignore option so that I can remove those ugly junk collections to no longer show up for me.

A variety of items doesn't automatically make it a good design either. It would be another system people could manipulate to get more points just like the current system. The guy with 50 trees sounds more interesting then just putting random stuff in.

I personally find the whole stronghold idea a waste of resources, but thats just me, i think if they did it properly, it could be cool for those that like the stuff, the only thing i was looking forward to was the legacy storage, but its just like any other storage, but shared, which is rather pointless, since all i have to do is log into character, get item out of bank, mail it, log out, then back into destined character and then pick up mail......cost a mere 5cr.

Now if you could store EVERYTHING, even bound to character items, then it would be useful, but sadly, thats not the case, making it a feature that i will not be using.

I do however think the prestige should be based on how the whole place looks....not what items you have.

I personally find the whole stronghold idea a waste of resources, but thats just me, i think if they did it properly, it could be cool for those that like the stuff, the only thing i was looking forward to was the legacy storage, but its just like any other storage, but shared, which is rather pointless, since all i have to do is log into character, get item out of bank, mail it, log out, then back into destined character and then pick up mail......cost a mere 5cr.

You just listed six steps for getting an item from another character and you don't think it's complicated? You'll have to wait on loading screens several minutes for that.

Legacy storage is a major timesaver when moving mods around between alts. Before it I often had to bring in a third character first to get a suitable legacy armor piece from his bank, then the first one to put the mods into it, and finally the second one who is the recipient for those mods. Now I can just get the armor piece from my legacy bank and do only one relog instead of three.

It's also very useful for storing crafting materials when you have seven crafters and not all of them have the appropriate gathering and mission skills (because why would I want to make a third scavenger when I can pick slicing instead?). No longer do I need to check the crafter's bank, write down a shopping list of materials, log onto the gatherer and send the appropriate mats to the crafter. The materials are already in my legacy bank, ready to be used.

Perhaps a simple Like/Dislike system?

Have a vote mechanism. I'll let you decide whether it should have a voting terminal upon entry or a pop-up window on interface as you wander around the strong hold.

I'm not suggesting that it has any impact on prestige points or ranking. No achievement should be attached, but simply show that 'xx people like this SH'. Then the players can decide to visit or not.

On a related note, I crafted the mats mnd placed a ruddy great big patrol ship on the landing pad. Looks awesome! but I got the same prestige points as if I'd stuck a feckin chair on the pad. That's a bit daft.

On a related note, I crafted the mats and placed a ruddy great big patrol ship on the landing pad. Looks awesome! but I got the same prestige points as if I'd stuck a feckin chair on the pad. That's a bit daft.

I think this illustrates the primary problem with prestige. If everything is equal, how do you distinguish between someone with 100 plain metal chairs and 100 items which are difficult to obtain (trophies, rare/difficult crafts/etc). IIRC, the conquest bonus is for "completeness" which is simply about how full the SH is. By assigning more prestige points to items which are more difficult to obtain, you'll start to thin out the people who filled up with junk and those who put some effort into it.

Put an up/down vote (as something we can filter/sort on, not as an effect on prestige score) and we'll get the ideas pretty quickly which houses are worth visiting.

• 2 weeks later...
Or at least an ignore option so that I can remove those ugly junk collections to no longer show up for me.

Problem solved!

Seriously, adding a 'ignore stronghold' option would mean you'd only ever enter a 'conquest SH' once. Actually a simple and elegant solution imo.

P.S. Why do people intentionally open up their SH's to the public when it's clear it's being used solely to bump up the conquest bonus? The default setting is private...they intentionally make them public...let them be 'ignored' I say.

Edited by Jamus_Divinus