Could the Death Star destroy the One Ring?

revansowns

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Considering the Dragon from the Hobbit (read the book / watch movie) was the only thing as hot as mount doom's Volcano - if any other Volcano in Middle earth or Furnace was equally as hot, then the movies would be very different.

Back on topic, considering the weapon from both Deathstars could pretty much turn a planet into dust and pebble - I'd dare say yes... it would VERY easily destroy the one ring. The Deathstar is more than a single 'super volcano' in terms of firepower.

I thought that the only reason it had to be in Mt. Doom was because that's where it was forged. They didn't say (that I remember) anything about the heat. So technically the Deathstar could do whatever it wants and the one ring will just float with the debris until Luke finds it and uses it.

Edit: So if the One Ring is with Smeegal at the time of the Deathstars arrival than it would be fine as they were no where near Mount Doom. No Mt Doom, no destroyed ring. It's a magic/metaphysics thing. One Ring > Deathstar

Edited by vactus

It's not a matter of heat or science. The Lord of the Rings makes it pretty clear that the one ring can only be destroyed in the fires of Mount Doom. I'm sure its got something to do with magic and what-not.

"The Ring cannot be destroyed, Gimli Son of Gloin, by any craft that we here possess. The Ring was made in the fires of Mount Doom. Only there can it be un-made."- Elrond Half-Elven of Imladris

It is protected by The Dark Lord's Dark Magic. It can only be destroyed by the fires that forged it.

Edited by Aurbere

Considering the Dragon from the Hobbit (read the book / watch movie) was the only thing as hot as mount doom's Volcano - if any other Volcano in Middle earth or Furnace was equally as hot, then the movies would be very different.

Back on topic, considering the weapon from both Deathstars could pretty much turn a planet into dust and pebble - I'd dare say yes... it would VERY easily destroy the one ring. The Deathstar is more than a single 'super volcano' in terms of firepower.

Dragonfire could not destroy the One Ring. Dragonfire could destroy the other Rings of Power, but the One could only be destroyed in Mount Doom.

There are a lot more Sith Lords who are more powerful than Sauron, so yes.

I seriously doubt that. Sauron was one of the Maiar spirits like a demi-god, actually the most powerful one on Middle-Earth at the time of War of the Ring. Sith Lords are just mortal humans/aliens.

And what does Sith Lords have to do with Deathstar? They don't make Deathstar's superlaser any stronger since they are using technology to create it and not the power of the Force. :rolleyes:

But to the question asked, no, Deathstar could not destroy The One Ring because it can only be destroyed in the Mount Doom. Sauron extended his own powers into it so it's not just normal fire & lava there. It's filled with Sauron's power.

I seriously doubt that. Sauron was one of the Maiar spirits like a demi-god, actually the most powerful one on Middle-Earth at the time of War of the Ring. Sith Lords are just mortal humans/aliens.

And what does Sith Lords have to do with Deathstar? They don't make Deathstar's superlaser any stronger since they are using technology to create it and not the power of the Force. :rolleyes:

But to the question asked, no, Deathstar could not destroy The One Ring because it can only be destroyed in the Mount Doom. Sauron extended his own powers into it so it's not just normal fire & lava there. It's filled with Sauron's power.

Nihilus could devour a planet's lives, Palpatine's Force Storm could destroy a fleet in seconds, and Sauron could not even defeat a bunch of human and elves with cold weapon with an army on his hand.

Nihilus could devour a planet's lives, Palpatine's Force Storm could destroy a fleet in seconds, and Sauron could not even defeat a bunch of human and elves with cold weapon with an army on his hand.

Sir...your point?

Stormtroopers couldn't defeat a bunch of Teddy Bears with Sharp Spears and Bows. Boba Fett the best bounty hunter in the Galaxy got knocked in the Sarlacc pit by a Half Blind Man with a Stick. The Deathstar got blown up by a Farmboy with no Combat training. Lando Calrissian was able to fly a FREIGHTER into the tight and narrow Death Star II Tunnel and make it out. The Trade Federation Control Ship got blown up by a kid with no real flight training and no idea what he was doing. Darth Vader got his limbs cut off because he jumped at Obi Wan when he could have simply came from the below. Why?! Cuz George Lucas said so.

You want to know why Sauron didn't win? Cuz F'ing Tolkien DECREED IT!

Love this thread! I even discussed this with my family! (all big LoTR and Star Wars fans)

We all came to the agreement that, no, it cannot "destroy" the ring.

The One Ring cannot be destroyed. It can only be un-made. The only thing that can "un-make" the ring is the fire of Mount Doom. The only way I could think the Death Star could destroy the ring is if, during the explosion of Middle Earth, some lava from Mount Doom hit and dissolved the Ring. :p

This, of course, is highly unlikely and very unrealistic. :D

Based on the lore of LOTR, I don't think the death star could destroy the ring.

It COULD blow up the planet it's on and send it drifting eternally through space though...unless it eventually hits a populated planet and gets rediscovered :rolleyes:

My mind falls apart even trying to think about this question. Help me out lol

Holy crap. This is, and not kidding, seriously one of the craziest questions I have ever heard. I give the person who asked it credit for ingenuity. Technically, Death Star couldn't, because it could only be destroyed by the fires of mount doom. But, then again, if a space station could focus all of its planet destroying power on such a small object, well, who could say. I doubt Sauron was expecting that when he made it.

Doesn't matter if it can destroy it or not, if it blows up the planet then the ring will be tossed through space if it survives. A ring is very very small, the chance that it hits any planet is very very small and it would probably take hundreds if not thousands of years for that to happen if it ever did. Heck it could just as easily fall into a black hole or into a star and get stuck there forever.

Sir...your point?

Stormtroopers couldn't defeat a bunch of Teddy Bears with Sharp Spears and Bows. Boba Fett the best bounty hunter in the Galaxy got knocked in the Sarlacc pit by a Half Blind Man with a Stick. The Deathstar got blown up by a Farmboy with no Combat training. Lando Calrissian was able to fly a FREIGHTER into the tight and narrow Death Star II Tunnel and make it out. The Trade Federation Control Ship got blown up by a kid with no real flight training and no idea what he was doing. Darth Vader got his limbs cut off because he jumped at Obi Wan when he could have simply came from the below. Why?! Cuz George Lucas said so.

You want to know why Sauron didn't win? Cuz F'ing Tolkien DECREED IT!

What does these have to do with the might Sith Lords? They showed stronger feat than the Maia.

Edited by Slowpokeking

What does these have to do with the might Sith Lords? They showed stronger feat than the Maia.

But the strength of various Sith Lords has no bearing on the power of the Death Star? They're completely irrelevant?

LOTR canon states that the one ring can only be destroyed by the fires of mount doom. SW canon doesn't claim that the Death Star can destroy anything, so there's no conflict here. It can't destroy the ring.

"The Ring cannot be destroyed, Gimli Son of Gloin, by any craft that we here possess. The Ring was made in the fires of Mount Doom. Only there can it be un-made."- Elrond Half-Elven of Imladris

It is protected by The Dark Lord's Dark Magic. It can only be destroyed by the fires that forged it.

As demonstrated in LoTR where that girl kills that dude, magic is worded very specifically. So if the ring was forged with magic that talked about "any craft that we here possess" then yes the Death Star probably could destroy it, because the magic would not have been created to defend from that type of power.

In fact a standard laser could probably have destroyed it.

If the creation magic was "Only there can it be unmade" then the ring would be quite safe.

As demonstrated in LoTR where that girl kills that dude, magic is worded very specifically. So if the ring was forged with magic that talked about "any craft that we here possess" then yes the Death Star probably could destroy it, because the magic would not have been created to defend from that type of power.

In fact a standard laser could probably have destroyed it.

If the creation magic was "Only there can it be unmade" then the ring would be quite safe.

Lucky for the One Ring creation was "only there can it be unmade" :)

However, a friend of mine schooled me on LOTR lore when I posted this thread on my FB. Basically if the planet was destroyed, than that means the Maia and Valur (sp?) would also be destroyed. Hence the Sauron is dead, the ring is now just a gold ring. His soul/power no longer inhabits a portion of the ring. A second shot would take the ring itself. I'll repost that info here in an edit.

EDIT: [My friend Jerry]

i consider myself a Tolkien master and i will have to say that when the world was created in the Silmarillion, it was created by music, making the possibility for a deathstar to be made impossible, due to the lack of nuclear material necessary to power it. but if we where to cross realities, then we have to take in the fact that Ea is a planet while the Deathstar is a planet destoyer, and without the existence of the planet, the Valar would not exist, and if Aule dies, then sauron dies, no matter what. plus, there is no space defence on either Middle-Earth or Aman. thus, Deathstar>One Ring

the ring is a hoarcrux, and it has a spell that makes it indestructible except for the fires in which forged it, for they are the hottest fires in all of Ea. yet the existence of the Maiar is dependent on the existence of the Valar they served and who created them. in the Silmarillion, Eru, the father of the Valar, stated that if Ea should break, then all life would end. if Aule should die, so would Sauron, and the one ring would just be a piece of gold floating around in space. Deathstar>One Ring [/My Friend Jerry]

Edited by vactus

^ This :D although I haven't read the Silmarilian... (too hard for me to get into) that sounds a lot like what I have read about what the book is about xD ...

Doesn't matter if it can destroy it or not, if it blows up the planet then the ring will be tossed through space if it survives. A ring is very very small, the chance that it hits any planet is very very small and it would probably take hundreds if not thousands of years for that to happen if it ever did. Heck it could just as easily fall into a black hole or into a star and get stuck there forever.

But don't you know? The Ring has a will of its own, it will find its way to someone's poket! :eek:...

Anyway, although the above poster pretty much ended the discussion with a quote from thier friend :D. I like to think of the Ring as a Horcrux like in Harry Potter, after all, a portion of Souron's soul is inside the Ring, making it so indestructible and giving it the power to influence/manipulate the people around it. Also, i'm pretty sure at some point or another Mount Doom's fires are refered to as being cursed, which also fits in with the Harry Potter horcruxes and one of the ways to destroy them being with cursed flames :D

Lucky for the One Ring creation was "only there can it be unmade" :)

However, a friend of mine schooled me on LOTR lore when I posted this thread on my FB. Basically if the planet was destroyed, than that means the Maia and Valur (sp?) would also be destroyed. Hence the Sauron is dead, the ring is now just a gold ring. His soul/power no longer inhabits a portion of the ring. A second shot would take the ring itself. I'll repost that info here in an edit.

EDIT: [My friend Jerry]

i consider myself a Tolkien master and i will have to say that when the world was created in the Silmarillion, it was created by music, making the possibility for a deathstar to be made impossible, due to the lack of nuclear material necessary to power it. but if we where to cross realities, then we have to take in the fact that Ea is a planet while the Deathstar is a planet destoyer, and without the existence of the planet, the Valar would not exist, and if Aule dies, then sauron dies, no matter what. plus, there is no space defence on either Middle-Earth or Aman. thus, Deathstar>One Ring

the ring is a hoarcrux, and it has a spell that makes it indestructible except for the fires in which forged it, for they are the hottest fires in all of Ea. yet the existence of the Maiar is dependent on the existence of the Valar they served and who created them. in the Silmarillion, Eru, the father of the Valar, stated that if Ea should break, then all life would end. if Aule should die, so would Sauron, and the one ring would just be a piece of gold floating around in space. Deathstar>One Ring [/My Friend Jerry]

And Jerry wins the thread.

One question though: it's been a while (7ish years) since I read the books, but surely Sauron isn't taking any physical form at the time (assuming it occurs during the war of the ring)? Unless destroying the dark tower and the eye somehow destroys Sauron, wouldn't he still remain as his spirit (and thus the ring would maintain it's power)? Can't argue with the quote from Eru though. Except possibly that the Valar and Maiar can't really die? Could be wrong there though, as I said it's been a few years.

he has physical form during lord of the ring series - the eye is just a metaphore that Jackson twisted into some horrible idea that we have seen in the movies. I will refrain from commenting the rest of it because this whole topic is more like one of those that younglings make: what if son goku fight with supermannnn.