300 Expertise = 1 shotted by Operative

Tripiam

I belive 1 shot = dead within the knockdown not 1 hit. It has happened to me too with 450ish exp.

It's not a common occurence for me though.

That would be stunlocked and bursted down. One-shotted means killed with a single move normally. In SW:TOR, one-shotted means "I'm massively exaggerating and everything I say should be taken with a pinch of salt."

That would be stunlocked and bursted down. One-shotted means killed with a single move normally. In SW:TOR, one-shotted means "I'm massively exaggerating and everything I say should be taken with a pinch of salt."

Yes, that was pretty much what I meant :p

Unbreakable will, force shroud, saber deflect dps, he will stealth, pull him out of stealth kill him easy piecy.

I thought the same as you 5 days ago, not anymore i am doin the same to smugglers.

Is this like a new conspiracy to make up stuff so Operatives can dominate even more when their opponent uses the wrong cooldowns? Force Shroud stops all tech/force attacks. This means, it either stops the Operative's attacks completely (if they're classified as tech) or NOT AT ALL. All you're doing is wasting your two best defensive cooldown when one of them suffices (and the other will do absolutely nothing).

Is this like a new conspiracy to make up stuff so Operatives can dominate even more when their opponent uses the wrong cooldowns? Force Shroud stops all tech/force attacks. This means, it either stops the Operative's attacks completely (if they're classified as tech) or NOT AT ALL. All you're doing is wasting your two best defensive cooldown when one of them suffices (and the other will do absolutely nothing).

Cunning which is their main attribute gives tech damage which force shroud defends vs i am not saying i am right thats just what i have learned and after using this combo i almost never loose to agents or smugglers in a 1 vs 1 even if they get the opener on me and before you say that i want agents to stay OP or anything i have to say that my main is a sith assassin not an agent.

Cunning which is their main attribute gives tech damage which force shroud defends vs i am not saying i am right thats just what i have learned and after using this combo i almost never loose to agents or smugglers in a 1 vs 1 even if they get the opener on me and before you say that i want agents to stay OP or anything i have to say that my main is a sith assassin not an agent.

Just like Assassins have melee attack and force attack, Operatives have melee attack and tech attack. Melee attacks are stopped by Saber Ward, while tech attacks are stopped by Force Shroud. I believe they used primarily melee moves in their opening combo (backstab + shiv sounds melee-like). Since I don't have a high level Operative I can't say for sure, but if you look at your class abilities it identifies exactly what type of attack each of them is, so all you have to do is activate the defense for their primary attack. Since Hidden Strike is the opener, you're not going to be able to defend against that (if you saw them coming, you can simply hit them out of stealth instead of using cooldowns). I think the second hardest hitting move they have is the backstab, and that sounds very melee-like to me, but it wouldn't hurt to find an Operative friend to make sure.

Right now the only reason why Operatives are somewhat fightable is that they seem to be extremely weak once out of stealth, so even if they stabbed you for 10K, they actually have a very hard time taking your last 5K HPs. Still, what if you're already wounded?

Just like Assassins have melee attack and force attack, Operatives have melee attack and tech attack. Melee attacks are stopped by Saber Ward, while tech attacks are stopped by Force Shroud. I believe they used primarily melee moves in their opening combo (backstab + shiv sounds melee-like). Since I don't have a high level Operative I can't say for sure, but if you look at your class abilities it identifies exactly what type of attack each of them is, so all you have to do is activate the defense for their primary attack. Since Hidden Strike is the opener, you're not going to be able to defend against that (if you saw them coming, you can simply hit them out of stealth instead of using cooldowns). I think the second hardest hitting move they have is the backstab, and that sounds very melee-like to me, but it wouldn't hurt to find an Operative friend to make sure.

Right now the only reason why Operatives are somewhat fightable is that they seem to be extremely weak once out of stealth, so even if they stabbed you for 10K, they actually have a very hard time taking your last 5K HPs. Still, what if you're already wounded?

I dont have an operative either but i will check with guildies, all i can say is that in my personal experience i survive almost 9 out of 10 encounters with an operative or scoundrell i think the smuggy version is called by doing the combo described above and in the end turn it around to my advantage.

Balance working as intended?

300 expertise is what alittle less than 9% damage reduction. I think your expecting to much from it.

I also dont think have been "one shotted" If your gonna post dont exaggerate claims.

triple tapped for 5-6k a hit sure, but with the current formula's its not possible one shot someone at max health.

Point for point its better to go with a focused stat than it is to go with expertise.

Alot of operatives just stack nothing but +power.

Sadly it does not work on the defensive end however due to the mitigation mechanics being useless in pvp. So Expertise and armor damage reduction are about the only thing that effectively mitigates damage.

I dont have an operative either but i will check with guildies, all i can say is that in my personal experience i survive almost 9 out of 10 encounters with an operative or scoundrell i think the smuggy version is called by doing the combo described above and in the end turn it around to my advantage.

Well Force Shroud + Saber Ward pretty much defends against any possible combo of attack so if you got the reflexes to do this, of course this will always work. But you're likely wasting one of your defensive cooldown for nothing.

Well Force Shroud + Saber Ward pretty much defends against any possible combo of attack so if you got the reflexes to do this, of course this will always work. But you're likely wasting one of your defensive cooldown for nothing.

Gonna have to follow up because as you say i might be wasting one skill so gonna fiddle a little more around with a guild mate tonight to see what ever combo makes the most sense and works best.

Not wasting anything, they have tech and melee attacks. Deflection defends against the melee part, force shroud gets rid of all those armor pen debuffs and any tech attacks they might use.

The armor pen is a buff that goes on the operative. Also, operatives don't do melee damage, all of their melee attacks are tech damage. Deflection is worthless against an operative.

The armor pen is a buff that goes on the operative. Also, operatives don't do melee damage, all of their melee attacks are tech damage. Deflection is worthless against an operative.

Well for an Assassin, our melee attacks are Thrash/Assassinate/Maul, rest are Force attacks.

The classification of tech/melee/ranged doesn't necessarily make a lot of sense, so you should consult with a friend. Backstab could be tech damage for all I know. But whatever the damage type they do, it only takes one of your cooldown. Force Shroud has no effect on melee damage, and Saber Ward has no effect on tech damage, so unless you think the Operative's combo is a 50/50 mix of melee + tech, you only need one cooldown to deal with whatever type of damage they're using. It's not like they're mixing up their opener. I think it's always Hidden Strike + Backstab + Shiv and these attacks sounds like they should be the same class of attacks.

There's some misinformation on this thread:

Operatives have Ranged and Tech attacks. Almost 100% of an Operative's DPS is going to be Tech (all Knife attacks). One Force Shroud and you're invulnerable to everything but a basic attack from his Blaster Rifle and a never used Snipe.

There's some misinformation on this thread:

Operatives have Ranged and Tech attacks. Almost 100% of an Operative's DPS is going to be Tech (all Knife attacks). One Force Shroud and you're invulnerable to everything but a basic attack from his Blaster Rifle and a never used Snipe.

Sometimes the classification of attacks in this game makes me wonder how on earth is Backstab a 'tech attack'. I guess it uses a vibroknife which is a technological weapon?

Yea, I was a little confused at first, but I have a level 50 Operative and can assure you, Strength (which affects Melee Damage), has no affect on Operative damage.

Force shroud should be used immediately after getting hit with Hidden strike. If you CC break the prone and use that, his DPS will drop SHARPLY. Part of the reason is because Shroud will cleanse Acid Blade, lowering his Tactical Advantage gain from spamming Lacerate and Acid Blade is a good DoT as well that ticks hard for 6 seconds.

Also, Force Slow and Backpedal will lower DPS by not giving them a flank to strike at with Backstab (which crits hard, but otherwise you might get lucky and not get crit by it).

If Overload is up, Unbreakable Will and then Overload usually prevents them from getting any kind of position on you too.

The problem is that your reflexes has to be really good, and since they're not a common class to see, you probably won't be thinking of how to deal with them the entire time. I know what I am supposed to do against them, but I just don't see them often enough to do react to it on reflex. Most of the time I'm still thinking about how to deal with Sorcerers/Commandoes, who are far more prevalent and pack plenty of a punch too.