Where is the companion AI fix??

DewyMossEmpire

Guys, this is *********** ridiculous. It has been over a month now, & the melee & ranged comp AI is still entirely broken. It makes trying to complete solo content extremely tedious since you are forced to micromanage your comp's movements to make sure they're in range & capable of aiding you in battle.

Where is the fix for this? I haven't seen it in 5.10.1a's patch notes. Still waiting for a reply.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dev Tracker.

This will not be fixed in this patch. We definitely understand this is a big issue, on our side it is also a pretty large undertaking to resolve. We have people actively working on the fix but I would not expect it super soon. I do not believe it is in 5.10.2 (our next major patch) but it is in the works to hopefully come thereafter.

I will provide more details as I get them.

-eric

Edited by kodrac

Not really :rolleyes:

It may not be many buttons, but still makes what used to be a single action, in a three phase opener just to kill regular mobs. It is a pain. Solving this issue should be a priority.

The other day i finally got my PT TANK to lvl 60 that is were you get your leap (another nice meme feature from BW, Warriors get it at lvl 1) so Mako stopped being usefull every time i used it. When you play tank, you need your comp to do damage or everything takes a lot more time. So i decided to change when i realized, all BH companion are ranged.

I ended up using Hexid token just so i can play without issues.

Micromanaging comps for regular not complex content is pita. It waste time and it is actually more efficient to not leap at all if you use your comp as DPS.

Edited by Balameb

It may not be many buttons, but still makes what used to be a single action, in a three phase opener just to kill regular mobs. It is a pain. Solving this issue should be a priority.

The other day i finally got my PT TANK to lvl 60 that is were you get your leap (another nice meme feature from BW, Warriors get it at lvl 1) so Mako stopped being usefull every time i used it. When you play tank, you need your comp to do damage or everything takes a lot more time. So i decided to change when i realized, all BH companion are ranged.

I ended up using Hexid token just so i can play without issues.

Micromanaging comps for regular not complex content is pita. It waste time and it is actually more efficient to not leap at all if you use your comp as DPS.

It's also extraordinarily inconvenient to have to watch your comp come close to you on the mini map until they're in range to fight. That sacrifices your attention & rotations while in combat. It's pathetic how much hand-holding the comps require because of this bug.

It is beyond belief that we are supposed to be endlessly satisfied with: "We are aware of the problem and we have people looking into it".

This is not some stupid problem with gear clipping or misdelivered dialogue. THIS IS A DEBILITATING BREAKDOWN IN FUNDAMENTAL GAMEPLAY. And their excuse for not fixing it yet is: "This is going to be really hard to fix"? Duh!! So quit investing resources in trivial matters like guild icons and color wheels when the game is completely broken. FIX THE GAME! It's like your car won't get out of first gear and your idiotic repair shop is recommending a new paint job.

I am also really tired of hearing the "just use passive on and off on and off till they get around to fixing things." That is no solution. It's not even a temporary work around. I don't know how slowly those people play, but in my game things are moving really fast and there is zero time to babysit the companion. I'm not playing a game that is this badly broken.

And how about explaining to us who broke this game in the first place and how it happened. It would be nice to know whether or not we can expect improved performance from the developers in the future or do they expect us to tolerate this level of incompetence as a normal state of affairs.

FIX THE GAME!

It is beyond belief that we are supposed to be endlessly satisfied with: "We are aware of the problem and we have people looking into it".

This is not some stupid problem with gear clipping or misdelivered dialogue. THIS IS A DEBILITATING BREAKDOWN IN FUNDAMENTAL GAMEPLAY. And their excuse for not fixing it yet is: "This is going to be really hard to fix"? Duh!! So quit investing resources in trivial matters like guild icons and color wheels when the game is completely broken. FIX THE GAME! It's like your car won't get out of first gear and your idiotic repair shop is recommending a new paint job.

I am also really tired of hearing the "just use passive on and off on and off till they get around to fixing things." That is no solution. It's not even a temporary work around. I don't know how slowly those people play, but in my game things are moving really fast and there is zero time to babysit the companion. I'm not playing a game that is this badly broken.

And how about explaining to us who broke this game in the first place and how it happened. It would be nice to know whether or not we can expect improved performance from the developers in the future or do they expect us to tolerate this level of incompetence as a normal state of affairs.

FIX THE GAME!

So you want everyone to stop what they're doing, stop what they're working on, even if they don't have anything to do with addressing the companion issue, just to satisfy you because you're inconvenienced. Whether they have anything to do with companion AI or not. Everything should stop for this problem. There likely aren't many people, out of all the people working there, who work on companion AI, but let's stop everyone else from working on anything else to make sure that those few people can focus all of their attention on this problem. Because that's going to get it fixed faster.

Here's a thought, use a melee companion. I have tested this with multiple melee comps, in all three roles, and they all will still close on their target and attack at least as far away as 75m. The people going on an on about how this is affecting melee comps too are wrong. There is another issue that can affect melee comps, which causes them to get stuck on certain terrain (especially at certain doorways where there was a barrier blocking it), but that is a separate, and rare, issue. How can I say this with confidence? Because I mostly use melee comps and didn't know what people where talking about with the ranged comp issue until I tested it. Once I did it was a simple matter to adjust my play style accordingly. On my Knight, Warrior, Shadow, and Assassin, who all occasionally use a ranged comp, I just get a little closer to my target before I jump to my target rather than trying to do it max distance.

So you want everyone to stop what they're doing, stop what they're working on, even if they don't have anything to do with addressing the companion issue, just to satisfy you because you're inconvenienced. Whether they have anything to do with companion AI or not. Everything should stop for this problem. There likely aren't many people, out of all the people working there, who work on companion AI, but let's stop everyone else from working on anything else to make sure that those few people can focus all of their attention on this problem. Because that's going to get it fixed faster.

Here's a thought, use a melee companion. I have tested this with multiple melee comps, in all three roles, and they all will still close on their target and attack at least as far away as 75m. The people going on an on about how this is affecting melee comps too are wrong. There is another issue that can affect melee comps, which causes them to get stuck on certain terrain (especially at certain doorways where there was a barrier blocking it), but that is a separate, and rare, issue. How can I say this with confidence? Because I mostly use melee comps and didn't know what people where talking about with the ranged comp issue until I tested it. Once I did it was a simple matter to adjust my play style accordingly. On my Knight, Warrior, Shadow, and Assassin, who all occasionally use a ranged comp, I just get a little closer to my target before I jump to my target rather than trying to do it max distance.

While i also have not seen much difference in melee comps i don't get why you go balistic on people wanting their game fixed and wanting it to be a priority.

Not everyone in BW needs to work on this issue. But this 3 months old mayor Fu**up issue (that would be more apropiate description) should be addressed before making cosmetics updates like the next one. There aren't many people in BW Dev team now, most of them works on many different parts. And BW still thinks that people prefer a couple new and really small features (that probably won't even work as advertised) instead of solving current problems. They should put the art people to fix the many texture issues and programers to fix de countless code bugs they put in the game on every patch. How hard is that to understand?

Use Melee companion or change playstyle. Right, thats is what we have to do now. You know what those are? Workarrounds, and lame ones. Those are not a solution, i should not change my playstyle because someone made a mistake and does not want to even look at it for over 3 months. And people want to use the companions they choose. As a PT i even needed to use a token to get a companion ahead of story.

Because I mostly use melee comps and didn't know what people where talking about with the ranged comp issue until I tested it.

So you basically say, that as this problem does not affect you is not a game breaker or it should not be a priority.

That would be the same as me saying, that as my mains comps did not got their influence reset when starting Ossus BW should not fix that bug because those affected could just rise the incluence again and be done with it.

Comp on passive, leap, take comp off passive. Problem solved

What? You don’t even need to do that... leap at 15-10m instead of 30 and your comp will be in range.

Also whenever I leap from mount he flies in anyways.

Edited by Ld-Siris

While i also have not seen much difference in melee comps i don't get why you go balistic on people wanting their game fixed and wanting it to be a priority.

Not everyone in BW needs to work on this issue. But this 3 months old mayor Fu**up issue (that would be more apropiate description) should be addressed before making cosmetics updates like the next one. There aren't many people in BW Dev team now, most of them works on many different parts. And BW still thinks that people prefer a couple new and really small features (that probably won't even work as advertised) instead of solving current problems. They should put the art people to fix the many texture issues and programers to fix de countless code bugs they put in the game on every patch. How hard is that to understand?

Use Melee companion or change playstyle. Right, thats is what we have to do now. You know what those are? Workarrounds, and lame ones. Those are not a solution, i should not change my playstyle because someone made a mistake and does not want to even look at it for over 3 months. And people want to use the companions they choose. As a PT i even needed to use a token to get a companion ahead of story.

So you basically say, that as this problem does not affect you is not a game breaker or it should not be a priority.

That would be the same as me saying, that as my mains comps did not got their influence reset when starting Ossus BW should not fix that bug because those affected could just rise the incluence again and be done with it.

Nope, I didn't say that at all. Maybe you should check the dev tracker.

This will not be fixed in this patch. We definitely understand this is a big issue, on our side it is also a pretty large undertaking to resolve. We have people actively working on the fix but I would not expect it super soon. I do not believe it is in 5.10.2 (our next major patch) but it is in the works to hopefully come thereafter.

I will provide more details as I get them.

-eric

The consensus on these forums is that if they're doing anything else, if someone who has absolutely nothing to do with the problem someone wants fixed works on anything else and that gets released, then BW must not be working on the problem at all. They're just ignoring it. BW has acknowledged the issue, has acknowledge they're working on it, has explicitly stated that it's a big issue that requires a large undertaking to fix, so in the meantime, yeah, if you want to use a ranged companion then you're going to have to adjust your play style until it's fixed.

I like to think of these bugs as 'darwins bugs'

If youre too lazy to push passive on/off while fighting..

or you think its too much work/difficult..

if you cant figure out to start a fight from 15/20 m instead of full range...

If you think this small bug is a game breaker..

Youve just been darwin'ed

:rak_01:

When I have to use a ranged comp for whatever reason right now, I turn sprint off (so the companion runs at the same speed I do) and keybind the companion's 'attack' to something easy (I have it to ctrl-z), then send them in one key press before I leap/charge/whatever. That way they move into range of the mobs prior to standing still, and as long as I don't go out of range, there's no problem. I don't have to turn passive on/off or any of that. It is a delay of a single key press, which is I suppose irritating, but certainly not game breaking. It's definitely a problem, but it's also one that can be gotten around with very very little effort, soooo.

When I have to use a ranged comp for whatever reason right now, I turn sprint off (so the companion runs at the same speed I do) and keybind the companion's 'attack' to something easy (I have it to ctrl-z), then send them in one key press before I leap/charge/whatever. That way they move into range of the mobs prior to standing still, and as long as I don't go out of range, there's no problem. I don't have to turn passive on/off or any of that. It is a delay of a single key press, which is I suppose irritating, but certainly not game breaking. It's definitely a problem, but it's also one that can be gotten around with very very little effort, soooo.

Sprint off? Seems easier to just put comp on passive, they'll stay right beside you while running, even using speed abilities.

Or alternatively if you mount/use rocket boost then the comp will spawn right beside you when you attack.

One of the more annoying things in this thread is people telling us there is an easy 'workaround'. Not ONE person in this thread has suggested we don't get the so-called 'workaround.'

For me, I'm at a point in the game where the only thing I have left to do is Veteran and Master Mode solo play. And, for me, this is a huge deal.

You can say, "Dasty, aren't you the special snowflake! You think it's all about you." With respect, my response to that is..

"Damn right it's all about me. I'm the most unique snowflake that has ever existed." Why...<<sips martini>>

Because for me this is now essentially a solo game and because my guildmates on ESO literally LAUGHED OUT LOUD when I told them about the new so-called update while ignoring this bug.

For those trying to solo MM chapters and Vet FPs, this is a big deal. And if you choose to denigrate my playstyle, I have some choice words for you that will get me an infraction.

The irony is that the more annoying thing than the ranged bug is the LoS bug which impacts ALL companions, including melee.

<<sips martini and contemplates the ignorance of others>>

TL-DR: However you try and slice and dice this, this bug is clearly not a priority for BW.

Dasty

Edited by Jdast

One of the more annoying things in this thread is people telling us there is an easy 'workaround'. Not ONE person in this thread has suggested we don't get the so-called 'workaround.'

It's a conversation about the bug, and other people are sharing their experience with it, which in some cases includes a workaround. Not ONE person in this thread has suggested that you don't get the so-called 'workaround' except for you.

Because for me this is now essentially a solo game and because my guildmates on ESO literally LAUGHED OUT LOUD when I told them about the new so-called update while ignoring this bug.

So nobody else is allowed to give their input / talk about this unless they agree with you, because you need new friends?

For those trying to solo MM chapters and Vet FPs, this is a big deal.

It's a big deal for everyone, not just your moon monkey self.

And if you choose to denigrate my playstyle, I have some choice words for you that will get me an infraction.

Let's have them, then. I have no sympathy for your eventual infraction, as you clearly know better. People disagreeing with you isn't a personal attack. Let me repeat that a few times:

People disagreeing with you isn't a personal attack.

<<sips martini and contemplates the ignorance of others>>

He/she who lives in a glass house should not be throwing stones.

I've been called many things in my life, but never a "moon monkey." What exactly is that?

Also please understand the distinction between "I find something annoying" vs. I'm saying "others don't have the privilege to post their views."

Perhaps, we come from different parts of the planet?

Dasty

P.S. I don't live in a glass house. I live in a Waterford Crystal house surrounded with a sprinkling of Swarovski crystals! <<sips martini>>:rak_03:

Edited by Jdast