Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

StarWars.com Tweets out Onslaught release trailer. Folks, this is a soft relaunch!

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
StarWars.com Tweets out Onslaught release trailer. Folks, this is a soft relaunch!

Zerileth
10.19.2019 , 10:15 AM | #51
We are two days from launch. Trailers are released months ahead. I'd say they missed the window for effective marketing.
7.0 Return To Kashyyyk
IGN: "Bioware sees soaring profits with new SWTOR expansion, Return to Kashyyyk."

ZionHalcyon
10.19.2019 , 10:17 AM | #52
Quote: Originally Posted by Zerileth View Post
We are two days from launch. Trailers are released months ahead. I'd say they missed the window for effective marketing.
They are simply taking a different approach.

eKeithcan only do how he does things once.

BioWare has a habit of over-promising and under-delivering.

They are smartly taking the opposite approach for this one. If it's great, the surprise will make maximum impact.

VanderII
10.19.2019 , 10:19 AM | #53
It's a good first step
- Neithan Legacy -
- A single dream is more powerful than a thousand realities. - J.R.R.T

JediQuaker
10.19.2019 , 10:26 AM | #54
That's not really a trailer, it just uses some old in-game footage for a short commercial.
Hold water, a sieve may not, but hold another sieve, it will - Yoda..

Referral code - http://www.swtor.com/r/dZ8wSV

Zerileth
10.19.2019 , 10:28 AM | #55
Quote: Originally Posted by ZionHalcyon View Post

eKeithcan only do how he does things once.

BioWare has a habit of over-promising and under-delivering.

They are smartly taking the opposite approach for this one. If it's great, the surprise will make maximum impact.
That would be a huge first for EA. Many people could miss it and never re-sub. Why do you think sequels make more money when they're usually worse? It's because the first movie is like a big trailer, hence why they make trailers.

I guess I've seen too many bad practices from EA to believe they are deliberately doing a quiet launch to surprise the gaming community with something huge. And if this is all Bioware, I'd think an EA executive would say, "You had this great launch expansion and you didn't advertise?" Guess we'll find out.

Anyways, my thoughts are jumbled cause I need coffee, but I think you get my point.
7.0 Return To Kashyyyk
IGN: "Bioware sees soaring profits with new SWTOR expansion, Return to Kashyyyk."

ForfiniteStories
10.19.2019 , 10:44 AM | #56
That lightsaber hilt at the end of the trailer looks quite familiar.

This is different. Ossus is a harbinger - they are taking great care to tie players back to their class stories, even in little bits, and also tie in the larger story.
That much is true. I main a Consular; Jedi Under Siege had my name written all over it. Suffice to say, it was one of my favorite updates to the game (besides certain elements of the gearing system.) If it's anything to go by, then I have a lot to look forward to in 6.0.
Republic Pilot Dossiers | Youtube | Battlefront II Mods

GeneralRhodes
10.19.2019 , 01:14 PM | #57
Quote: Originally Posted by Sonicphoto View Post
Charles himself said it on twitter.
If a proper trailer was coming it would be here by now. Its what, 3 days from release? There is no point to releasing an advertising trailer after something is released, the entire concept is to get peoples attention in the buildup to that release.

Quote:
Charles' post saying that a future State of the Galaxy article would be difficult due to all the branching suggests there is more than just 2 (maybe not 6 mind you).
That statement had nothing to do with this expansion, he was referring to the different choices in the previous releases, eg: the conditional jace/acina living or dead and which side you supported stuff, which makes it difficult to come up with a state of the galaxy that isn't different for everyone

Quote:
As for the debate about trailers, I think (although I'm sure it has been done) there are several Ph.D dissertations to be written about how social media is supplanting traditional forms of advertising. If 6.0 is good, word of mouth (or tweet) will spread.

Consider the fact that the link Zion posted already has close to 100,000 views and 4,100 likes on Twitter.
Which is meaningless. Its twitter. Twitter is a failing platform full of bots, political crazies and general nutcases. The majority of people avoid it like the plague. If you want good word of mouth that affects the average persons view of a game, you'd better be making sure they get it from places other than twitter

Quote:
Soft relaunch? 6.0 is barely an "expansion" compared to other MMOs like ESO and FFXIV
Indeed, and barely an expansion even by TOR standards at this point. I'll be surprised if there is even makeb levels of content and story. They already said one 'planet' is nothing more than a daily area and the story on the other is more than likely on the level of ossus. Maybe ziost length if we're lucky. If it were the size of SOR or larger it would be an actual expansion pack you had to buy. The fact that its 'free to subscribers' speaks for itself

Quote:
What most people don't understand is it that swtor ran off most of the story folks already. what is left of the players who care more about the game system than the Star wars story.
That isn't even remotely true. If it were this game would be on its last legs by now. The entire focus for this game is its story. That is what sells it, it has nothing else going for it

Quote:
Quote:
There is no 'different approach.' The entire purpose of a trailer is to get attention and build hype well in advance of whatever is being released. If it doesn't do that there is no point in having a trailer. If there really is an actual trailer coming before or after release day, whoever is in charge of marketing needs to be fired because they don't even have a fundamental understanding of what a trailer is for

Quote:
That lightsaber hilt at the end of the trailer looks quite familiar
More than likely belongs to malgus tbh

OP is making alot of assumptions, based on nothing, and coming to very odd conclusions based on misunderstanding previous statements from the devs. Particularly with the 'branching storylines' nonsense. Its going to be two stories - republic and imperial, with little or no variation. At best you'll have a conversation with whoever is leading your faction based on whether acina or jace died on iokath

DarthSpuds
10.19.2019 , 01:39 PM | #58
What most people don't understand is it that swtor ran off most of the story folks already. what is left of the players who care more about the game system than the Star wars story..
From my experience in the game, and speaking to others you are flat out wrong.

People who care about real, workable and rewarding end-game systems left ages ago.

The people I know in-game are ONLY here for Story.

All The Best
#Is-This-As-Good-As-It-Gets?

If you think my comment has been helpful in anyway please >>Click Here<< for the Refer A Friend Bonus.

DarthSpuds
10.19.2019 , 01:43 PM | #59
They are smartly taking the opposite approach for this one. I
I think you are wrong.

I think they have over promised and under delivered again.

When was the last time they didn't do that.

And the previous poster was correct: two days before launch is NOT the time for a full trailer.
If they release a full trailer now it'll prove that the Lead Producer position is, yet again, mired in incompetence.

All The Best
#Is-This-As-Good-As-It-Gets?

If you think my comment has been helpful in anyway please >>Click Here<< for the Refer A Friend Bonus.

MadDutchman
10.19.2019 , 01:43 PM | #60
Quote: Originally Posted by GeneralRhodes View Post
That statement had nothing to do with this expansion, he was referring to the different choices in the previous releases, eg: the conditional jace/acina living or dead and which side you supported stuff, which makes it difficult to come up with a state of the galaxy that isn't different for everyone
"TBH, with all of the branching we're introducing in this story, I have no idea how we'll cleanly present a State of the Galaxy article later on"

Notice present tense, then future tense

Remains to be seen of course just how much is added, but I think it pretty clearly is not referring to past events here
Demand: Are. We. There. Yet.

Use my referral link for free goodies.