Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Help me increase my DPS... Please...

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes > Gunslinger / Sniper
Help me increase my DPS... Please...

shelobfirexx
08.12.2017 , 09:05 PM | #1
So I recently geared up to full 242 left side and 246/248 right side (with god knows what armourings) sticking as much as I can to what good ol' Bant tells me and this is my best parse:
http://parsely.io/parser/view/308276/0 - 9189 DPS
I'm quite happy with it, but I see people on the leaderboards that are upwards of 9600 DPS and I don't think that gear would be the main factor there, but I can't see anything that has gone the equivalent of 400 DPS wrong.
Could any of you give me some tips of point out where I may have gone wrong at all?

Lots of love

shyroman
08.12.2017 , 09:52 PM | #2
What % alacrity do you have? Rotation looks fine, I'm thinking it's an apm issue but idk without knowing alacrity, and even so your apm isn't that low.
Ryann - Sniper | Ryannack - Sorcerer | Apophas - Marauder
Jesicca - Mercenary | Lindseey - Gunslinger
Origin - Honey Badgers
Jedi Covenant

shelobfirexx
08.13.2017 , 06:32 AM | #3
Hi,
My alacrity is 1587, which according to band should give 37.7 and my current APM is 36.2 so yeah that could be the problem.Just doing a basic sum to see what my dps would be if my APM increased by 1 (not that the maths is that easy) I would get ~9500 dps. However, I dont know how to get more APM, which seems like a silly question. I have a 1 second skill queue and I 'pre-click' all skills apart from when Im channelling wounding shots/cull or speed shot/series of shots. Could it bant assumes 100% uptime on the off GCD skills, which I am certainly not doing and I dont want to.
Also, would posting a video of me parsing do a better job for sorting this out?

shyroman
08.13.2017 , 10:30 AM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by shelobfirexx View Post
Hi,
My alacrity is 1587, which according to band should give 37.7 and my current APM is 36.2 so yeah that could be the problem.Just doing a basic sum to see what my dps would be if my APM increased by 1 (not that the maths is that easy) I would get ~9500 dps. However, I dont know how to get more APM, which seems like a silly question. I have a 1 second skill queue and I 'pre-click' all skills apart from when Im channelling wounding shots/cull or speed shot/series of shots. Could it bant assumes 100% uptime on the off GCD skills, which I am certainly not doing and I dont want to.
Also, would posting a video of me parsing do a better job for sorting this out?
I'll look at your parse a bit more, but yeah a video will help find any of the little details that is hard to see in a parse log. Also, what is your latency?
Origin - Honey Badgers
Jedi Covenant

shelobfirexx
08.13.2017 , 12:52 PM | #5
Here is the video and the accompanying parse, I could have redone it to get it a bit better but going in to an ops now.
https://youtu.be/D21d5wK9rQM
http://parsely.io/parser/view/308423

There was a funny bit where I rolled and it did something weird, but that didnt hinder me too much.

shyroman
08.13.2017 , 01:49 PM | #6
So what I'm noticing, and it's really minor, but really adds up over an entire parse, is that you can tighten up some parts of the rotation a bit. Particularly with the end of speed shots and wounding shots, but happens a very slight amount throughout the other parts. You can clip both speed shots and wounding shots at around .1 seconds left (takes a bit of practice to get the timing perfect, in the parse below I mess it up once on a speed shots because I was trying to be aware of it).

Overall it ends up being about half a gcd added for every wounding shots in your parse, you should be able to hit WS the instant it becomes available but you have a bit of time left on a gcd before you can activate it. Lets lowball it a bit because latency and such makes it a bit unavoidable and say you can shave off .6 seconds for each filler window. Over the course of 32 WS for you (lets use 30 instead because this will also decrease the amount of WS you need to use), it is 30*.6=18 seconds shaved off which would bring the parse you just posted to 9758 dps. Granted nobody's perfect so it wouldn't shave off that much, but just off that it could get to 9.5k and above. Without a heavy usage of roll, that would make for quite a good parse, and that parse was rather unlucky with crits so you could even go much higher.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5YjJaz013GA
Here's my parse that I just did (got a bit lucky with crits, and don't mind the roll usage, it's just a parsing trick for more damage, not really viable in ops). You'll notice that lots of my wounding shots are activated right as it's coming off of cd, while some have around half a gcd left after WS comes off cd (like most of your parse). During filler windows where there isn't roll or speed shots, you can't cut corners nearly as much so you can't avoid having that extra time left but there are enough spots where you can. I generally just clip my SS and WS just after the last tick of damage goes offwhich helps give me that extra time too.

Edit: I know how difficult this last little bit is, I've been trying really hard to get my apm up just that little bit for anni and it's really frustrating since it seems like I'm doing everything right, I'm thinking it's just practice until you finally get there. Some of it might just be limitations on how fast you can hit abilities (probably a combination of latency, ability lag in game, and hardware). I just tried to do a parse with just spamming merciless slash and strike and spam hitting both buttons as much as I could when I needed to hit them so it couldn't possibly have been me just being slow at hitting buttons and it came to be the average time between MS was 9.2 seconds compared to the 9 seconds that it is supposed to be at (I took off all alacrity and I'm only at 15 ms latency). So don't be discouraged if you just can't increase it at all, there might just be limitations, I just try to get around it in dirty fighting by clipping abilities where possible.
Origin - Honey Badgers
Jedi Covenant

shelobfirexx
08.14.2017 , 03:39 AM | #7
Thanks so much for the tip!
I have been trying this all day yesterday and this morning, and I've managed to get my parse up by 200 and that still had quite a few mistakes in) so I'm definitely getting there. Although, what I am noticing is that energy management is that little bit harder, and I am now praying that I get a high crit on my DoTs so I don't have to use resort to flurry of bolts D: I did a parse and get 35% and 37% crit on my DoTs, it was horrible...
I will keep practising this and hopefully get over 9.5k, and then in a few weeks when I have full 248 I can get 10k!
*This space is reserved for future video*

Thanks again

shyroman
08.14.2017 , 04:56 AM | #8
Thanks so much for the tip!
I have been trying this all day yesterday and this morning, and I've managed to get my parse up by 200 and that still had quite a few mistakes in) so I'm definitely getting there. Although, what I am noticing is that energy management is that little bit harder, and I am now praying that I get a high crit on my DoTs so I don't have to use resort to flurry of bolts D: I did a parse and get 35% and 37% crit on my DoTs, it was horrible...
I will keep practising this and hopefully get over 9.5k, and then in a few weeks when I have full 248 I can get 10k!
*This space is reserved for future video*

Thanks again
Energy management will get a bit harder, and in ops you will have to use flurry of bolts from time to time unless you can double dot. That's partially why I use roll so much in dummy parses, it does almost as much a a dirty blast but is free so I maximize usage of that so I never have to use flurry of bolts. If you do ever want to get 10k though, once you get the apm part down then you will have to have a heavy usage of roll like I do in my parses.
Origin - Honey Badgers
Jedi Covenant

shelobfirexx
08.23.2017 , 06:36 PM | #9
I'm resurrecting this post!
Parsing is now going really well! I am now up to 9743 dps, which is great. However, I am finding that in all of my parses I can sustain upwards of 10k dps for about 60-90 seconds, but then very quickly I will get a dip in dps to anything from 9.6k to 9.2k, and then only sometimes does it recover and start going higher, but sometimes not and I get a 9.2/9.3k parse. I wanted to ask if this was up to RNG with crits, or could there be anything I am doing spectacularly wrong...

shyroman
08.23.2017 , 07:52 PM | #10
I'm resurrecting this post!
Parsing is now going really well! I am now up to 9743 dps, which is great. However, I am finding that in all of my parses I can sustain upwards of 10k dps for about 60-90 seconds, but then very quickly I will get a dip in dps to anything from 9.6k to 9.2k, and then only sometimes does it recover and start going higher, but sometimes not and I get a 9.2/9.3k parse. I wanted to ask if this was up to RNG with crits, or could there be anything I am doing spectacularly wrong...
Yeah it has a pretty decent opener so will will spike high then, and then you will dip quite a bit in the middle, and will go back up a bit at the end.
Origin - Honey Badgers
Jedi Covenant