How hard is Jugg to play?

Dabrixmgp

Id like to play through the Sith Warrior storyline. I just finished Jedi Knight and it was pretty cool. I did it on a Sentinel so I want to avoid Mara as it would just be like playing the same class again. Just wondering if Juggs are easier or harder to play? I wont be tanking any raids or even FPs. Will do a lot of PvP though while I level as it takes away some of the boredom of questing. Also how soon will I get a healer companion?

Jugs can power through the PvE content a lot easier than maurs/sents due to many more defense CD and survivability, but early levels will be tough because your damage wont be as high as maur/sent.

PvP wise, Jugs rule the field. If you Immortal spec in PvP, you will not be disappointed. Easy defense medals, soak up tons of damage and with a good healer, you'll rarely die. But of course the downside to Immortal spec is the fact that you barely do any damage. But once you learn that you go more for protection, slows, stuns and leaps, your role will be about control and controlling the battlefield.

Vengence spec is great for bleeds and constant dmg, while also having enough survivability from passives like Unstoppable, and free Smash!

Or you can go super easy-mode and level/pvp in Rage. You have ultra powered Smashes, pure spike dmg.

I say, try each spec at lvl 21 (grabbing your new T3 ability) and find out which playstyle fits you.

In PvP, especially while leveling, consider the 18/23 spec as an alternative to the full immortal spec. It has many advantages which have been debated ad nauseum on this forum. I'm not putting down heavy immortal, just saying that it isn't always the best tank build in PvP. :) I prefer it even if I have a healer in my group, and even in tank gear. Edited by Khalhazar

In PvP, especially while leveling, consider the 18/23 spec as an alternative to the full immortal spec. It has many advantages which have been debated ad nauseum on this forum. I'm not putting down heavy immortal, just saying that it isn't always the best tank build in PvP. :) I prefer it even if I have a healer in my group, and even in tank gear.

18/23 is like....Huttball master spec. I still prefer full Immortal because I enjoy the "try an kill me" mentality while just jumping around the map and spamming controls that you get from the higher tier Immortal.

I think the OP was talking about leveling from 1, so with that in mind, go down Vengeance first then finish up with Immortal.

Personally, I leveled to 40 in Vengeance, then I respeced to full Immortal and finally felt like a true tank.

18/23 is like....Huttball master spec. I still prefer full Immortal because I enjoy the "try an kill me" mentality while just jumping around the map and spamming controls that you get from the higher tier Immortal.

I think the OP was talking about leveling from 1, so with that in mind, go down Vengeance first then finish up with Immortal.

Personally, I leveled to 40 in Vengeance, then I respeced to full Immortal and finally felt like a true tank.

full immortal is awful for pvp tanking! you have to have the hybrid... you live longer anyways. you get more damage and controll.. for example you get unstopable 20% dmg reduc and imune to cc during the effect, you get that move that triggers to increase your next attack by 5% when slow and it stacks, your enraged defense has shorter cooldown and offers 15%dmg reduc while up. you get inpale wich allows for a dps increase, free smash, increase of soresu defense by 6% a 1sec stun when force charging

a full immortal tank in pvp is a joke and will get toyed with in huttball

Or you can go super easy-mode and level/pvp in Rage. You have ultra powered Smashes, pure spike dmg.

Still trying to figure out how Juggs are easy-mode:

http://www.noxxic.com/swtor/pve/sith-warrior/sith-juggernaut/rage/dps-rotation-and-cooldowns

Force Charge or Obliterate + Smash with 4x Shockwave

Force Crush to build Shockwave

Force Choke to build Shockwave

Vicious Throw

Ravage

Sundering Assault

Force Scream

Saber Throw or Assault

Thats a lot of buttons not counting other CC, Slows, Interupts, and Cooldowns.

Still trying to figure out how Juggs are easy-mode:

http://www.noxxic.com/swtor/pve/sith-warrior/sith-juggernaut/rage/dps-rotation-and-cooldowns

Force Charge or Obliterate + Smash with 4x Shockwave

Force Crush to build Shockwave

Force Choke to build Shockwave

Vicious Throw

Ravage

Sundering Assault

Force Scream

Saber Throw or Assault

Thats a lot of buttons not counting other CC, Slows, Interupts, and Cooldowns.

its still a fairly simple spec, played it all the way to valor 86 before i went tank. i didnt like it becuase of how it was squishy, and i dont wanna feel squishy as a sith juggernaut. so what i did was via legacy min max a mara to destroy face with derp smash :D

Currently using a mostly immortal spec defence spec for PVP. 27/12/2 http://swtor.askmrrobot.com/skills/Juggernaut#cde71diek-20e29-20

Comes with all of the defensive abilities found in the immortal tree, with unstoppable in vengeance and adds a bit more usability to smash. I used to use this build, but instead of using smash, I focused on Retaliation. Just found that it didn't proc nearly enough or really help when my main priority was control.

Healer comes at end of balmorra.

If you level as 27/12/2 it will make you sturdy with good aggro for your level...into the mid 40's I switched to 18/23 and liked it better...you are a tad squishier until right at 48-49 when you pickup deafening defense...but you are fine to tank even then.

I found that using jaesa worked best for me because, while quinn is nice, I rarely felt he was even necessary and preferred jaesa's dps was far more useful most times.

Edited by planet_J

jugs are hard to play in all 3 specs

immortal you gotta work to keep threat a lot

rage, you got a lot of buttons to press and constantly be aware of getting shockwave and dominate up asap

vengeance is by far the hardest spec, as some people with BH gear put up 1400 dps while others put up 1700 simply by doing the smallest rotation changes. Vengeance makes you work, but its also an extremely fun spec, and for me, the most fun spec in the game

jugs are hard to play in all 3 specs

immortal you gotta work to keep threat a lot

rage, you got a lot of buttons to press and constantly be aware of getting shockwave and dominate up asap

vengeance is by far the hardest spec, as some people with BH gear put up 1400 dps while others put up 1700 simply by doing the smallest rotation changes. Vengeance makes you work, but its also an extremely fun spec, and for me, the most fun spec in the game

How is rage Jugg difficult to play? I mean ROFL. I played a sorcerer for 10 months and rolled a Rage Jugg in November. What is so difficult in pushing enrage, jump, smash. force crush, ravage, 2x assault, obliterate, smash and vicious throw -> opponent dead?

It sure looks complex but a monkey can do that even without banana treat :)

How is rage Jugg difficult to play? I mean ROFL. I played a sorcerer for 10 months and rolled a Rage Jugg in November. What is so difficult in pushing enrage, jump, smash. force crush, ravage, 2x assault, obliterate, smash and vicious throw -> opponent dead?

It sure looks complex but a monkey can do that even without banana treat :)

Your simplifying a complex process. You think the sorc is tougher? i got a 50 sage, in addition to my multiple jugg's. It's not like the sorc is a mathematical equation to have to play pal. I could suffer through the game with 2 DoT's and Tele throw. yeah...that's allot more difficult then a rage jugg (sarcasm off).

and good luck getting any decent damage numbers out of that award winning rotation you got there. Don't forget the other two specs now...there's more to life then Lolsmash builds. Which weren't even on the radar until 1.4, glad to see you following the herd, though, it reinforces my point.

On a more serious note, Juggs can be basic, but getting max DPS out of them is difficult. there's a reason that they have had a rep for being low DPS, in spite of some of the impressive numbers people are posting here on the forums. It's because it's tough. Doesn't make us the cool class of the year, but people need to know up front that it's not going to be easy getting max damage out of a jugg.

But in your defense, basic mob killing isn't hard, and doesn't take much effort. so unless people are trying to maximize their DPS, they may not see the inherent challenge, nor is it needed. YMMV.

OP - a Jugg really isn't hard to just "play". the inherent difficulty is 1: most your performance doesn't open up till 30 or so, and 2: lack of personal healing means less flexibility. but that is really a leveling hump. once you get past that, a jugg is pretty fun to play in solo work. I ran with quinn cause I like the speed of killing with no downtime. vengeance has always been my preferred spec.

Edited by Elyxin

Oh I am sorry, misunderstanding here. I was not talking about PVE because I PVP solely. With that in mind I can safely state that sorcerer/sage with any DPS perspective is much harder to play than Jugg.

I don't really understand what do you mean by 'decent numbers' because in my view these are the frags at the end of WZ. And if I can simply put solo pressure on any healer, so he must start healing himself and not others eventually killing him, that is something sorcerer is not able to do. TTK of rage is much smaller than of any sage/sorc combination therefore for some succesful survining, you would need to kite in order to prolong the fight and that my friend is much harder than the lolsmash nobrainer.

As for the healing, PVP medpacs are just fine (8k+ per medpac)

Oh I am sorry, misunderstanding here. I was not talking about PVE because I PVP solely. With that in mind I can safely state that sorcerer/sage with any DPS perspective is much harder to play than Jugg.

I don't really understand what do you mean by 'decent numbers' because in my view these are the frags at the end of WZ. And if I can simply put solo pressure on any healer, so he must start healing himself and not others eventually killing him, that is something sorcerer is not able to do. TTK of rage is much smaller than of any sage/sorc combination therefore for some successful survining, you would need to kite in order to prolong the fight and that my friend is much harder than the lolsmash nobrainer.

As for the healing, PVP medpacs are just fine (8k+ per medpac)

that makes sense. I was talking PvE solely (to side of a different coin :) ) I would probably agree with you based on my limited understanding of PvP, So i take back my sarcasm . think we both brought up some good points thought, the complexity of the jugg directly relates to what your trying to get out of it.

• 2 weeks later...

The only hard part is threat management, really -- you have to make sure and use your high-threat abilities if you're in full immortal because your damage is simply not that great.

Hybrid in PVP , always -- pain to respec but it does make a large difference. I would say that if all you have is recruit you may want to consider sticking to full 31 pt immortal until you get some WH pieces. May.

I really wanted to like vengeance for pvp but it was really streaky, some games were great, but other games just werent great. There needs to be a few tweaks to improve its viability for pvp dmg....its also a possibility that i was doing it wrong.

I think Jugg is the hardest class I've played by far and I think I've played them all except operative dps. Not saying you can't do well not maximizing everything. But there is way more going on with a jugg than the other classes I've played and it doesn't even seem close. But like I said you can still do OK just jumping in and smashing then die...but to play it perfectly seems next to impossible

I'm playing in Vengeance spec and it's heaps of fun. It's not difficult at all, it's basically just sunder and ravage. I'm not great at multi tasking or paying attention to lots of different things, so most of the time I only look at my skill bar to see if any cooldowns are off and I never had much of a problem.

Though sometimes it can be a tiny bit frustrating since you don't really have burst damage. A bit of a disadvantage in PvP, but it's not that bad that I would consider respeccen. And in PvE you'll get this sometines, too.. what do I do when I used ravage, shatter, impale and scream? Just stupidly hit on my basic attack until sunder is off cool down, kinda annoying.

Exactly what I did.... At 40, i dumped the tree and rebuilt it to be a Tank.

I wont be tanking any raids or even FPs. Will do a lot of PvP though while I level as it takes away some of the boredom of questing. Also how soon will I get a healer companion?

no tanking, wants to pvp while levelling...

Spec Rage (Focus) then!

Rage is the easiest to do damage but you get stunned knocked and die quickest. However nothing wrong with it.

Vengence is the hardest to be good at but very satisfying when you are. Good single target dps but you wont see the big numbers. If you don't get the spec you will suck.

Immortal in my opinion is boring but if you like tanking you will never die. Slow way to lvl though.

Overall I would say it's a pretty fun class to play and once you get up into the 20's you will love it no matter what you choose.

Jugs can power through the PvE content a lot easier than maurs/sents due to many more defense CD and survivability, but early levels will be tough because your damage wont be as high as maur/sent.

you've never played a marauder then, they get more defensive abilities than even a jugg tank. check it out :/

Edited by nadiel