I really love Telekenetic Sage, but I just don't know if it's viable to continue...

Fluffyburrito

...because every single group I've been in has expected me to heal. I got kicked from three separate groups last night after telling them I was a telekinetic Sage.

The first two just kicked me when I said I wasn't planning on healing, and the third tried to have some sort of debate with me claiming that I didn't do any dps at all before booting me. (Despite the fact I'm putting out some pretty comparable numbers compared to other classes.)

It's not like I was rude about it at all, but I just fear this problem is going to continue forever. I really like my Telekinetic Sage, but I'm thinking that finding groups for him is going to be extremely hard.

...because every single group I've been in has expected me to heal. I got kicked from three separate groups last night after telling them I was a telekinetic Sage.

The first two just kicked me when I said I wasn't planning on healing, and the third tried to have some sort of debate with me claiming that I didn't do any dps at all before booting me. (Despite the fact I'm putting out some pretty comparable numbers compared to other classes.)

It's not like I was rude about it at all, but I just fear this problem is going to continue forever. I really like my Telekinetic Sage, but I'm thinking that finding groups for him is going to be extremely hard.

The only thing I can say is either be clear in communicating before hand that you're a DPS Sage, or be willing to try and heal if the situation warrants it. Still if those idiots reject you then it's their own loss. Even a DPS Sage is still great to bring to groups for their utility alone. Between some of the best PvE CC in the game and "Oh crap" force armor and healing coverage, groups generally are really happy to have me.

If people are stuck with the idea that all Sages are healers then frankly they're just ignorant.

I'm dps spec but I end up healing anyway. I don't really care.

Mind you this is only going to work up to a certain point.. I find a lot of my dps skills help me heal better.

For example the passive that gives me -50% force cost for my next two spells when I score a critical hit... and the dots we throw up do some decent damage as well.

Even as a dpser I throw out force armor... It absorbs SOOOOO much damage... its silly.

People always want to pigeonhole certain classes into healing more than others.

Next time there is a Commando or Scoundrel in the group, ask them why they are not healing. For some reason, people expect all Sages to heal but do not do this of the Trooper and Smuggler healer ACs. So just put that in their faces.

People always want to pigeonhole certain classes into healing more than others.

Next time there is a Commando or Scoundrel in the group, ask them why they are not healing. For some reason, people expect all Sages to heal but do not do this of the Trooper and Smuggler healer ACs. So just put that in their faces.

This.

Such claims are often offensive self-defense. In order to not be pidgeonholed into a role, players preemptively attack others for not having that specific role they are trying to avoid. Simply throw that in their face.

At level 35 with balance spec I have such DPS output that people dont question my spec.

As previously stated, make it official what you are going to play when you join the party. I havn't had the problem where the party leader assumed I was a healer per sé.

Do both, I'm mostly Telekinetic spec but always make sure Force Armor is up and throw in heals where needed. And if things start going bad I will chain my healing. Seems a bit stupid to ignore healing abilities just because you want to do damage.

So far I've found that there always seems to be a Commando or Smuggler wanting to do the healing which is why I put more into damage.

I am one of those 'solo' players of MMOs and this is one of the reasons, not the main one, but a big one. If you play a class that has any healing ability at all you will be expected to heal (unless you get a good guild) that's the way it always has been and i don't (sadly) see it changing.

If it's a full group and they only need a healer, they're going to kick you...they'd kick you for the same reason they'd kick a Sentinel, Gunslinger, Guardian, the list goes on.

It's not because Sage DPS is bad, it's because they need a healer--not DPS. Anyone with a brain is willing to take a Sage to fill a DPS slot, but a healer is still needed.

If it's a full group and they only need a healer, they're going to kick you...they'd kick you for the same reason they'd kick a Sentinel, Gunslinger, Guardian, the list goes on.

It's not because Sage DPS is bad, it's because they need a healer--not DPS. Anyone with a brain is willing to take a Sage to fill a DPS slot, but a healer is still needed.

This.

As others have said, all you can do is be more clear when you are seeking out groups. For example, saying "Jedi Sage (DPS) LFG."

It's definitely not your fault if people assume you're a healer, so all you can do is try to help get past their preconceived notions.

Anyone with a brain who needs a healer, should be spamming "LF1M, Need Healer" so that their intentions are clear. It's frankly their own fault for assuming a Sage to be both capable and willing to heal. And most of us are, but I understand those who don't want to. Again the party is to blame if they don't make their needs clear from the get go.

Funny, I get whispers asking if I'm willing to dps sage when groups are doing flashpoints/heroic 4s.

Point is, there are viable builds out there whether you're going for healing or dps. For sage dps, it is very viable and the damage output can be pretty astonishing.

Like others have said, communication is key and if groups are asking for dps sage, the better.

Do both, I'm mostly Telekinetic spec but always make sure Force Armor is up and throw in heals where needed. And if things start going bad I will chain my healing. Seems a bit stupid to ignore healing abilities just because you want to do damage.

So far I've found that there always seems to be a Commando or Smuggler wanting to do the healing which is why I put more into damage.

This exactly. It's common sense like this that i find lacking these days, and that's the only way to annoy me. I really don't mind if you want to spec for DPS on a sage, i welcome it. But regardless you do have a couple heals without spending points in the healing tree, might as well use them if things get rough. i have a BH merc which falls in the same category, built for DPS but theres a couple heals to toss as well, makes it more useful to the group

I was running with a sage and someone else on some heroic quest earlier (i'm a shadow, not really tanky but i can hold my own). We did just fine but there were a couple moments where a force armor or even a single heal would have been made everything so much smoother, instead i used a bunch of medpacks where a single heal per pull would have sufficed haha.

Anyway, all im sayin is you should be able to play the role you want, screw what anyone else says. but if you have the tools like a heal here or there if things get rough, might as well use it :).

This exactly. It's common sense like this that i find lacking these days, and that's the only way to annoy me. I really don't mind if you want to spec for DPS on a sage, i welcome it. But regardless you do have a couple heals without spending points in the healing tree, might as well use them if things get rough. i have a BH merc which falls in the same category, built for DPS but theres a couple heals to toss as well, makes it more useful to the group

I was running with a sage and someone else on some heroic quest earlier (i'm a shadow, not really tanky but i can hold my own). We did just fine but there were a couple moments where a force armor or even a single heal would have been made everything so much smoother, instead i used a bunch of medpacks where a single heal per pull would have sufficed haha.

Anyway, all im sayin is you should be able to play the role you want, screw what anyone else says. but if you have the tools like a heal here or there if things get rough, might as well use it :).

as a dps sage, if our healer isnt also a sage, i ALWAYS keep force armor up on the tank. its just too good not to.

as a dps sage, if our healer isnt also a sage, i ALWAYS keep force armor up on the tank. its just too good not to.

^^ This, untill endgame where you absolutely NEED to put out max DPS to down a boss, just make sure you use all your utility to the max.

This means:

- Shield yourself and the tank at all times (pre-shielding before pulls)

- CC tougher ranged mobs that are not being tanked

- Throw in supportive heals when damage on the party spikes

Also, with the combination of our pushback/stun and Telekinetic Throw's slow effect, we can also often protect the healer pretty well if the Tank doesn't have enough threat on a melee mob.

Support your group, not your DPS meter.

^^ This, untill endgame where you absolutely NEED to put out max DPS to down a boss, just make sure you use all your utility to the max.

This means:

- Shield yourself and the tank at all times (pre-shielding before pulls)

- CC tougher ranged mobs that are not being tanked

- Throw in supportive heals when damage on the party spikes

Also, with the combination of our pushback/stun and Telekinetic Throw's slow effect, we can also often protect the healer pretty well if the Tank doesn't have enough threat on a melee mob.

Support your group, not your DPS meter.

It's not so much even that some crazy DPS burn is required very often in hard mode, it's simply that a lot of bosses have rediculous sums of health, and trying to bubble the tank throughout a fight will OOF you faster than anything. As long as you're not spamming off-spec abilities though, you'll actually find it pretty hard to run OOF.

That said, once you're getting into hard modes you're already going to encounter some enrage mechanics. Some of them are pretty rediculously tuned atm for starter 50 gear, so stopping to do anything other than DPS will insure your group takes a collective dirt nap.

Edited by Khadroth