How do I make money with crew skills?

MasterJediJDS

I’m a math and tech person and I decided to look at the cost of getting material and then selling the products of crew skills. I have level 2 archeology and synthweave but the amount of materials I get for the amount of money I spend to go on the mission is crazy when added up to make an item. When I go to sell it the item is like 100 creds less than the cost to get the material. So how could I make money off of selling the items I make? Or how could I get the material cheaper?

It's called going out into the game world and harvesting. The only money you need to spend with crew skills is buying the required white item from the vendor and missions for blue/purple mats. In general you can sell the resulting blue item for more credits than the actual mission to get the blue material but seeing you are low level crafter you will not see as much profit as being able to craft higher level items.

I’m a math and tech person and I decided to look at the cost of getting material and then selling the products of crew skills. I have level 2 archeology and synthweave but the amount of materials I get for the amount of money I spend to go on the mission is crazy when added up to make an item. When I go to sell it the item is like 100 creds less than the cost to get the material. So how could I make money off of selling the items I make? Or how could I get the material cheaper?

Are you sure you mean level 2? That is pretty low! Just going on one mission should raise it more than 2 points. Max is 300 for reference ...

In general low level stuff will sell for very little, and as you've discovered may be even a loss. But what it will do is increase your skill to craft higher level things. So don't really expect to do crafting for great profits at your level. Do it to either create things for yourself, or to increase your level. There *may* be some things at lower levels that other classes do want though (I found barrels always sold whatever level they were) but obviously it all depends on the server population and what level characters exist on it.

Edited by shama

Correct. Crafting is a giant money sink. You CAN get by if you are GTN aware of what sells and gain blue schematics (when you RE your crafted greens) for things players will definitely buy. For example in my server there is a large demand of Techswords and Staves from the Consular classes so from level 1 through 50 I was crafting blue level tech weapons that sold within minutes I put it on the GTN.

Correct. Crafting is a giant money sink. You CAN get by if you are GTN aware of what sells and gain blue schematics (when you RE your crafted greens) for things players will definitely buy. For example in my server there is a large demand of Techswords and Staves from the Consular classes so from level 1 through 50 I was crafting blue level tech weapons that sold within minutes I put it on the GTN.

Ok so I just need to craft different things and find what sells and what does not? And it sounds like your saying the blue items are better to craft and sell?

You'll have to look at the GTN and see what kind of things are for sale. For example I would pull the list and see there are no Implants at all for level 10-16. I log on my Biochem alt and craft a few blues and put it up there. If they are snatched within the 2 day limit, then I know I have a market at least for a bit. I'll make more. This requires trial error and patience.

And yes blues sell better, and purple sometimes even better. Very few or no players at all will buy greens save for the odd implant, earpiece. Quality of crafted items go like this with lowest to highest. Green REs to Blue REs to Purple.

It gets a bit more detailed than that because when you RE you can get a resulting blue that no player wants (IE, when you RE a green you can get 3 forms of blue) but that's a whole another topic.

Also when I say purples sometimes sell better is that leveling up you really do not need purples so the amount of money/effort to get the purple craft you would have to sell it for alot more than players are willing to pay money for. Blues is a good even ground of high demand and reasonable material costs.

Edited by GellonSW

You'll have to look at the GTN and see what kind of things are for sale. For example I would pull the list and see there are no Implants at all for level 10-16. I log on my Biochem alt and craft a few blues and put it up there. If they are snatched within the 2 day limit, then I know I have a market at least for a bit. I'll make more. This requires trial error and patience.

And yes blues sell better, and purple sometimes even better. Very few or no players at all will buy greens save for the odd implant, earpiece. Quality of crafted items go like this with lowest to highest. Green REs to Blue REs to Purple.

It gets a bit more detailed than that because when you RE you can get a resulting blue that no player wants (IE, when you RE a green you can get 3 forms of blue) but that's a whole another topic.

You seem to have experience in this, what would you say is the best skill to train in?

If all you're interested in is making money, you could get three "gathering" skills, and just sell the mats you get back on the GTN. Again, it will require trial and error to see what sells and what doesn't. I've heard from several people that Slicing makes the most money, but I don't have any experience.

Ok so I just need to craft different things and find what sells and what does not? And it sounds like your saying the blue items are better to craft and sell?

Although blues do sell better than greens, how well greens sell is based on the market. On my server, there are often very few item mods on the Imperial side. More than once, I've looked with my Sniper and found only mods with Strength, or Willpower. (And even then, only 3 or 4 of the right level.) I would have HAPPILY bought a green if it had Cunning, but that wasn't an option.

Also, if you are selling mods for low level PCs, you may find greens sell better than blue or purple, simply because low-level PCs don't have the disposable income to buy the best, so they buy what they can afford (greens).