Mmo newb questions

WHearth

I'm new to mmos, and have a few questions.

1. If I'm in a group and I loot a monster we all killed, am I stealing from my teammates, or do we get our own drops?

2. Does an area level me down if I'm too high level? For instance, if I'm level 50 and go back to my starting planet, do my stats stay the same or does the area drop me down so that I'm not just face rolling everything?

3. What is the point of a guild (since usually you can find groups to play with in general chat)?

4. If you are interested in joining a guild, how do you find one that is a good fit for you?

Thanks for the help!

I'm new to mmos, and have a few questions.

1. If I'm in a group and I loot a monster we all killed, am I stealing from my teammates, or do we get our own drops?

2. Does an area level me down if I'm too high level? For instance, if I'm level 50 and go back to my starting planet, do my stats stay the same or does the area drop me down so that I'm not just face rolling everything?

3. What is the point of a guild (since usually you can find groups to play with in general chat)?

4. If you are interested in joining a guild, how do you find one that is a good fit for you?

Thanks for the help!

1. Loot options are set by the group leader, the default is Round Robin, which means everyone gets a turn at looting. Higher value items are rolled for. You will get a dialogue box in which you choose "need" or "greed". Only choose "need" if you can use the item right away, not later, not for your companion, not for your alternate character, unless the group agrees.

2. No, if you go to your starting planet at level 50 you will be one shotting everything. It's kinda fun. ;)

3. Guilds are social, and you can get a lot of help with things, some guilds have groups events. You get get int groups by watching general chat or using the group finder, so it's really up to you how you want to play.

4. The best way to find a guild is read the Guild Recruitment sub-forum on your server's forum. http://www.swtor.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=309

Edited by Gidrea

Loot is shared. The credits are split and you roll an imaginary 100 sided die to determine who gets the item. You should choose need if it's an upgrade and has the right stats for your character. If you want it for your companion, ask the group if you can need for it. If someone else needs it for their own character they likely will object. You can choose need on everything if you like, but you will see your queue times increase as people who place you on ignore will no longer be matched with you.

4. The best way to find a guild is read the Guild Recruitment sub-forum on your server's forum. http://www.swtor.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=309

Wouldn't say its the best way to find one that suits you but it is definatly one of the ways. Here is another: Ideal Guild Quiz . All the guild leaders should have updated their info to reflect the most recent server changes and anything else related to the guild.

1. You can't steal, you roll for it. Unless the group leader has set it to Master Looter.

2. No, the areas stay the same. So do you. When you enter a lvl 40 area with your level 10 character, you die in 1 second. When you go to a level 5 area with your level 50 character, you kill in 1 second. It's not like in GW2 where you level down to the level of the area.

3. Guilds usually are players that help each other out, like with crafting and advice and such. Also, some content is more fun if you group with the same people, when you ask in chat, you might get very, very bad players. Or players that are very rude.

As a new player, joining a guild would be smart, they will explain you all sorts of stuff!

4. Ask around :)

If you are on The Shadowlands, Republic University would be glad to have you. We are a guild for new players and those leveling. We will help you learn the game, level to 50, and then place you with a permanent guild for end game content. Contact Ahnog, Jamus, or Niffun or any member of the guild can invite.

Guilds are always a good way to find help. I was level 45 before finding the Defenders.

And I never played an MMO before in my life.

They also have voice (Ventrillo) so you can get help and directions while you are playing.

I found out I made many mistakes and the guild members kindly helped me.

It didn't take me long before I was helping others.

Now, I've heard that there are certain cases where everyone in the group clicks on the dead boss and gets their own reward. For example, I was in an Ops group that took down a World Boss, and we each clicked the dead boss for our own cash and little prizes, and the big prizes (purple items) were doled out by the Ops Leader.

I've also heard of that in HM Flashpoints. I didn't know about it the first time I ran one, but I heard everyone should click the dead boss to get rewards (Tionese crystals or comms, I think, in the case of Black Talon).

Is that true? How does that work?

Now, I've heard that there are certain cases where everyone in the group clicks on the dead boss and gets their own reward. For example, I was in an Ops group that took down a World Boss, and we each clicked the dead boss for our own cash and little prizes, and the big prizes (purple items) were doled out by the Ops Leader.

I've also heard of that in HM Flashpoints. I didn't know about it the first time I ran one, but I heard everyone should click the dead boss to get rewards (Tionese crystals or comms, I think, in the case of Black Talon).

Credits are split up and I believe the trash loot is gotten by the one looting. However the items covered by the loot threshold (decided by the group leader) are rolled for. Finally commendations are separate so that everyone can get them. Hope this helps.

The boss will continue to have a purple light shaft until everyone has taken their comms/crystals. If it's a big loot chest, it will glow blue for each person. Keep clicking on the chest until you get yours, it's really a one-at-a-time thing.

Same with Ops. It's usually Tionese crystals and comms in Story Mode.