Game Engine

DewyMossEmpire

I am running this game on one of the best GPU's money can buy & I STILL have insultingly low FPS drops. Yes, this game does look pretty when it runs smoothly on ultra settings at 60+ FPS, which I can do for the most part. But if FP's when a few extra lights come on or there are one too many tress in the forest & I hit 40 FPS or lower, it is just ridiculous. The visuals this game produces & the textures are not that good looking to warrant such horrendous performance.

I would embrace an option to scrap 20+Gbs of this game & redownload a new version with an efficient & modern engine that is actually capable of appropriately utilizing equally modern GPUs. This game's dumpster feed graphics engine needs a serious medical reformation.

Edited by DewyMossEmpire

I'll agree that there are some things which the Hero Engine could really do better. Much of this game is far more clunky than it needs to be (and personally, I'm not a huge fan of the combat system, I'd much prefer something more physics-based). One cannot simply swap a game's engine though. That's akin to swapping the supporting structure in a skyscraper whilst leaving the décor in tact -- damn near impossible, It'd be easier to just make a new building in its place.

I'll agree that there are some things which the Hero Engine could really do better. Much of this game is far more clunky than it needs to be (and personally, I'm not a huge fan of the combat system, I'd much prefer something more physics-based). One cannot simply swap a game's engine though. That's akin to swapping the supporting structure in a skyscraper whilst leaving the décor in tact -- damn near impossible, It'd be easier to just make a new building in its place.

It is also a slight irk seeing that ESO runs on the Hero Engine, but at a far more efficient pace. Perhaps because it is later & more modern, but certainly not by much. The performance issues have been hindering SWTOR since the beginning.

I am running this game on one of the best GPU's money can buy & I STILL have insultingly low FPS drops. Yes, this game does look pretty when it runs smoothly on ultra settings at 60+ FPS, which I can do for the most part. But if FP's when a few extra lights come on or there are one too many tress in the forest & I hit 40 FPS or lower, it is just ridiculous. The visuals this game produces & the textures are not that good looking to warrant such horrendous performance.

I would embrace an option to scrap 20+Gbs of this game & redownload a new version with an efficient & modern engine that is actually capable of appropriately utilizing equally modern GPUs. This game's dumpster feed graphics engine needs a serious medical reformation.

Your FPS dropdowns have actually nothing to do with the engine itself but with the errowed coding of some areas in the game. Just an example of mine: Almost anything in the game runs with my i7-4790K, 16GB Ram, 250GB SSD, Nvidia Geforce GTX970, yada, yada, etc. with ease. SWTOR is not even tempering to 30% my entire ressources. BUT on some places in KOTFE I have from a fluent 60 FPS dropdowns to 20+. Places like Odessen, and especially the Starfortress.

So, is thatfore the engine outdated, or broken, or somthing like that. Not at all. The prechaged Hero Enige, which was used to build the (the devs at least call it ) SWTOR Engine (they actually jst trew the best parts out of the code and called it a day), ist at the same level of potence as the current Cryptic Engine, and that thing, boy is still the thing, at some features!

Long talk short, the engine is fine, your settings are most likely not.

It is also a slight irk seeing that ESO runs on the Hero Engine, but at a far more efficient pace. Perhaps because it is later & more modern, but certainly not by much. The performance issues have been hindering SWTOR since the beginning.
No that's the funny thing: They didn't stripped her. :D

And beside that they are using a different design choiche and amount of frames per object.

If BioWare hadn't stripped SWTOR from all those features the Hero Engine have, they could change the design and smoothness whenever they wanted. And they could have given us full editable character creation as the Hero Engine has integrated.

Edited by Isnogut

Observation. Forum search is your friend.

Wait, just realised,

are we talking about GRAPHIC engine? Only that, and not about the GAME engine itself? (Since I'm not a native englishspaker, I can't find the right words, so hopefully you'll undersand what I mean.)

Several MMO's upgrated the grahic engine, who is a part of the game engine. EQ, EVE Online, WOW, STO just to call some, and not to forget even SWTOR had a minor upgrate for the enviroment.

So yes, technically ist is not only possible, but already done. The question is not if, but when.

But anyway this hs nothing to do with the OPs FPS breakdowns. His issues have nothing to do with a bad engine, but a bad PC setup.

Edited by Isnogut

No, ESO doesn't use the HeroEngine.

Back during alpha, they did some tests on the HeroEngine, realized it wasn't up to their standards and abandoned it. They have since been using their own engine which has nothing to do with HeroEngine.

Not sure why players will continue using this argument but it's probably because they didn't read the interview correctly where the devs talked about HeroEngine.

Edited by Jerba

I like the overall "stylized" look to the game, but it's certainly clunky sometimes and feels limited.

If I remember correctly, I think that EA/BioWare bought the Hero engine in pretty rushed deal. They needed an engine fast, and the Hero was quickest to get.

But I haven't had that much problem with it, except for some FPS drops here and there.

I think the biggest drawback with the Hero engine is its limitations. There are simply a lot of things the devs can't do because the engine won't allow it.

Edited by Wallner

I am running this game on one of the best GPU's money can buy & I STILL have insultingly low FPS drops.... But if FP's when a few extra lights come on or there are one too many tress in the forest & I hit 40 FPS or lower, it is just ridiculous. .

When it comes to fps in SWTOR, your graphics card doesn't matter - it's the CPU that counts. If you are only going down to 40 fps, be thankful. People with budget CPUs are going down to 5 or 10 fps. :)

EDIT - that is to say, in this case, your graphics card doesn't matter because it is good enough. :)

Edited by JediQuaker

Your pc probably isn't nearly as awesome as you think it is since my Core i7 6700k and 980 ti run the game at the fps cap (60) constantly with everything on high, yes, even in warzones.

My old pc, a Phenom II 965be@ 4ghz and a R9 290 should have ran the game that well, It's a bit silly you need such a powerful cpu to run the game without dropping frames.

Also the above poster is correct, something like a 280 or 290 would be fine you just had a powerful cpu.

Edited by Romeugues

My titan x i6700 @4ghz machine built by Falcon NW usually runs everything here at 100 fps on a 2560x1440 g-sync monitor. However, in some raids and wzs that performance absolutely does drop into the low 40s no matter what settings I select or what I turn off. I can do other games at 4k with better fps. The engine we have here is the worst performer I've seen from a non-alpha-stage game.

SWTOR is definitely more CPU power dependant than GPU, upgrading from a 3570k to a 6700k gave me much better performance improvements than from my GTX 760 to a GTX 980 that I upgraded separately later.

If you can Overclock your CPU, it will definitely help out more, though OCing higher than the default settings can be tricky...

The engine is the single biggest weakness this title has IMO. I would even go so far as to state that the vast majority of problems with lack of features, bugs and general development problems are caused by the poor engine design.

Most games on the market...not all, but most....do not have half the problems or limitations this title has.

In that respect it has quite a bit in common with SWG. That title also had similar problems, due to poor game engine development (rushed in that case).

If I were in charge, and money/time was no object, my very priority would be to shut down the game, rebuild the engine and relaunch it.

That would solve the vast majority of problems this title continues to have IMO.

The engine is the single biggest weakness this title has IMO. I would even go so far as to state that the vast majority of problems with lack of features, bugs and general development problems are caused by the poor engine design.

Most games on the market...not all, but most....do not have half the problems or limitations this title has.

In that respect it has quite a bit in common with SWG. That title also had similar problems, due to poor game engine development (rushed in that case).

If I were in charge, and money/time was no object, my very priority would be to shut down the game, rebuild the engine and relaunch it.

That would solve the vast majority of problems this title continues to have IMO.

I agree except on one point: for the amount of time/money and considering the number of systems they would have to rework (all of them, likely), they would be better off building another SW mmo. Hopefully one that prioritized simple and comprehensive content creation tools, x-server/multi-server capabilities and that allows for flying characters and vehicles.

Edited by Savej

My titan x i6700 @4ghz machine built by Falcon NW usually runs everything here at 100 fps on a 2560x1440 g-sync monitor. However, in some raids and wzs that performance absolutely does drop into the low 40s no matter what settings I select or what I turn off. I can do other games at 4k with better fps. The engine we have here is the worst performer I've seen from a non-alpha-stage game.

I have the same cpu that you have I think (6700k), is there a certain warzone that runs badly for you? I've had my new pc assembled since saturday and I've run several warzones and the fps has been stuck at the 60 fps cap I set, my normal performance for my Phenom II 965be@ 4ghz was 30-45 fps in warzones, with the occasion warzone lagging at 15-20 fps. The game engine is 10 year old crap but if you have enough cpu it seems to run fine.

Edited by Romeugues

In my experience, running dual GPU's does not really work out so well for most MMO type games. I used to run dual GTX titan's when I played Crysis 3 and it was great. When I began playing SWTOR and a few other MMO's I noticed I was not seeing any difference when I tried out a single GPU...sometimes worse performance TBH. I sold my titan's and bought a new MSI GTX 970 gaming, and since then, my FPS on max settings in SWTOR and others is perfect! I do not know why a $360 dollar GPU performs so much better than my $2000 dual GPU setup, but it does :-) Perhaps it is the way the game engine is designed? IDK.

Maybe try removing one your cards and see if it helps? Sometimes I think that this whole SLI-Crossifre stuff is a gimmick marketed to the public to sell more product when in reality, most games do not take advantage of it at all. Speaking from my own experience of course!

Edited by nissanmaxima