Sniper's role in Huttball?

Because in normals - solo queue u will not get peels/heal and usually get wtfpwned in 3 sec. In normals 4 man queue u would have min 2 of your pips going forward with the ball inc healer so all "support" you will get is probably your another dps.

That's not my experience at all, even queuing with one other person. (I don't solo on my sniper.) They should be in position to receive the pass across the lower or upper firepit. If they're not, they just scored a goal and most of the enemy (probably) will be closer to the endzone, giving your buddy or someone else a chance to get back in position to receive a pass.

Shield probe should get you the 20m or so you'll (at max) carry the ball. (Or situationally -- marauders, marauders everywhere- you can just hang out in cover with the ball waiting for someone to get to a good place on the upper ramps) Worst case scenario, you reset. Snipers have enough CC to survive long enough to pass, unless you are so outnumbered at mid that picking up the ball was a no-win scenario for any class.

You don't NEED huge support - much less a dedicated healer -- to live in normals. If you're only living for 3 seconds, you're not using all the tools at your disposal.

That's not my experience at all, even queuing with one other person. (I don't solo on my sniper.) They should be in position to receive the pass across the lower or upper firepit. If they're not, they just scored a goal and most of the enemy (probably) will be closer to the endzone, giving your buddy or someone else a chance to get back in position to receive a pass.

Shield probe should get you the 20m or so you'll (at max) carry the ball. (Or situationally -- marauders, marauders everywhere- you can just hang out in cover with the ball waiting for someone to get to a good place on the upper ramps) Worst case scenario, you reset. Snipers have enough CC to survive long enough to pass, unless you are so outnumbered at mid that picking up the ball was a no-win scenario for any class.

You don't NEED huge support - much less a dedicated healer -- to live in normals. If you're only living for 3 seconds, you're not using all the tools at your disposal.

May be it is true for you.

In my universe on normals:

- sniper carrying the ball = dead piece of nothing

- sniper sitting on center with no entrench (and u save it for score, because why u should even sit there) = smash > smash > vicious throw.

The only time you pick up the ball is if none of your other teammates are there to get it. You are best placed up high at mid -- ready with your root, flashbang and, yes, you can drop the knockdown 'nade directly below you -- to help your team get the ball.

If you are alone at mid you might have to get the ball yourself to buy time. If so, run away from the enemy toward their goal line (if they are left, go right, etc.), even into the pit, and then RESET the ball if you have no one to throw to. You'll die but you'll have bought time for your team to get back to mid. This is a position game. You are moving the ball toward the enemy goal line, away from yours. If you can sucker some guys to chase a kill into the pit before you reset, that's bonus points for your team.

Another time you can pick up the ball: If your team is doing it's job and camping the enemy in their platforms and end zone, you might have to start the relay: get the ball and pass to the closest friendly player.

Perhaps the most common time you will pick up the ball is if you are alone at mid and the ball is reset accidentally -- usually this happens when one of the teams throws a ball and no one catches it. These unexpected resets are part of the reason you should be camping mid ALL the time. But if your team is working, you should have help at mid and should not be solo.

Jumping down to get the ball causes you to lose your height/anti-leap advantage so only do so when it's called for. Generally, running the call is not your job except under very limited circumstances and even then you need to have the mindset of passing ASAP.

what can a sniper do in huttball that doesn't involve killing people....easy....use our cc advantages :) you don't have to kill people even in lvl 50 normal wzs to be effective in huttball even if your a sniper

what can a sniper do in huttball that doesn't involve killing people....easy....use our cc advantages :) you don't have to kill people even in lvl 50 normal wzs to be effective in huttball even if your a sniper

Sums it up!

Be annoying, not limited to huttball. ;)

I like to spec Marksman in Huttball and just patrol the ramps when we have ball. The two knockbacks, 2 stuns and root are great for controlling the ramps and allowing team mates to run through. Also, Snipers may well be good for Huttball ball carrying in 2.0. Apparently the roll ability lets you roll through fire. Also with engineer spec you get a bit more tanky.

• 2 weeks later...

Engineering sniper can roll twice thanks to EMP. This is quite an interesting change of original metagame. I guess if we are on the top catwalks enemy side, we can make it to their goal line with some luck.

MM has the ability to run without being rooted or snared after entrench, this is again an interesting change from 1.7 which again means we might be just able to bring the ball the to goal line opportunistically.

Engineering sniper can roll twice thanks to EMP. This is quite an interesting change of original metagame. I guess if we are on the top catwalks enemy side, we can make it to their goal line with some luck.

MM has the ability to run without being rooted or snared after entrench, this is again an interesting change from 1.7 which again means we might be just able to bring the ball the to goal line opportunistically.

The 18 meter roll-forward move (cc immune, I believe), MM's 50 movement speed buff (also cc immune with talents, I believe) after Entrench, the MM talent that gives a free Entrench after roll-forward which grants the speed buff again and the Engies' extra roll-forward after EMP are all great tools for mobility in Huttball. But we will still be a very squishy class and are best suited for camping mid in Huttball. As, NoTomorrow notes, our Huttball scores will be scores of opportunity: if no one else is around to get the ball, if we're up high and get a pass, etc, these tools will help us play the position game. And certainly there are games where NO ONE is going for the ball. But for the most part, we should still be camping mid. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Problem is that in pugs you see one group of teammates just fighting enemies on one side of the map while the ball carriers (whether enemy or friendly) in another area running to try to score. That leaves you with the un-ideal job of trying to run with the ball carrier, peel off them, etc. And we're not exactly very mobile.....lol.

Sometimes when it comes to that and the pug team doesn't bother about objectives in huttball, I just think 'what the heck' I'll just go for my damage and kills medals myself, rather than try to do the melee's job of running around. But the dilemma is that thinking logically I should still try to peel of ball carriers.

I don't know anything about sniper (yet) but as a general rule, spending time trying to figure out the optimal way to compensate for terrible play by PUG teammates is an ineffective waste of time. If you ever want to move to rateds, the time spent learning how to compensate for bads will, at best, be a waste. At worst, you will develop habits that hold you back when grouped with goods.

Edited by funkiestj

Please don't tell me you're another one rolling Sniper just because they are apparently overpowered?

I am not. I think I created him back in October or so. I have yet to play all the advanced classes, much less in PvP. I also have not yet played any of the following to level 50.

• sentinel / marauder
  • scoundrel / operative
  • vanguard / powertech

I have a 50 sage and mercenary but these don't / won't see much PvP action until server transfers come. Any player aspiring to get better at PvP should have a level 50 of each advanced class and play it some, right?

About the only PvP toon I play half way decently is my guardian tank (Fitzwilliam). I've been playing my shadow in 50 WZ for a little while but I'm still pretty awful at playing it. Of course I'm even worse at sniper.

My criteria for which advanced class to learn next is "which has annoyed me the most in warzone recently"?

While I'm still a terrible player on my shadow, I feel I know it well enough that I play against it better now. I have no such feel for sniper.

Edited by funkiestj

Just because we're a dps focused class doesn't mean all we should do is Dps. Snipers are the most valuable defenders.

I thought tankassins where the most valuable (solo) defenders...

Snipers are good against non-stealth but a tankassin can delay much longer against 2 stealth attackers.

I pick a marauder in a warzone. Lethality CG slow, MM low cooldown on leg shot or Engi IP slow on top of FB, Cover Pulse and Debilitate will harass the crap out of any melee ^_^,

And then karma strikes and i get a sin or op dps gank me non stop on my next warzone :(

Edited by paowee

Hey all,

I've been PVPing for a little while now and come to realise I do better at warzones like ACW, AH, Voidstar than at huttball.

I know in huttball, snipers should not be ball carriers but are they supposed to run and try to chase down enemy ball carriers? Some of them pass so quickly its hard to keep chasing them. Should snipers be following team ball carriers and trying to peel attackers off them?

Or should they be trying to dominate the middle and let others like melee classes fulfill the objectives? And where should snipers be positioned?

TY

Snipers are a tough class to classify for Huttball. I tend to go for the ball carrier with Legshot and stop it in its tracks then let the marauders and assasins eat the carrier for lunch. as for when we have the ball? Take out PT/Vanguard, Shad/Assn and Other Snipers/GS's those are ususaly the most devestating next to Arsenal Mercs/Commandos and Any Marauder. Hope this helps!

And then karma strikes and i get a sin or op dps gank me non stop on my next warzone :(

LMFAO this tends to happen to me after I sit on the rafters all a huttball match and troll every Guardian and Jugg i see. I dont use the CG slow (which i should for PvP) because its useless when im Raiding but i still have no problem keeping a melee class off me. Most times its either a Stealther who kills me or someone with a healer.

Anyways like many agree I believe a Sniper/Gunslingers place in Huttball is to be the Ranged-Guard of the middle area along with whatever Sin or Jugg may be on their team who is not running the ball. Unless you are a MM/SS (i believe) most Snipers cant hit each other from opposing rafters (outside maybe SoS or Ambush i always forget). Futhermore, any of the specs could proven at least 2people from trying to run up the rafters between stuns, roots, slows, and knockback. IMO from observing others Snipers ingame the best defender is a MM since their stationary position is also their benefit in that from point they can easily hold off a carrier. Lethality, however, is much better when facing a whole group running because of the CG-slow and a simple Pulse+Flashbang into OrbitalStrike allows for some DPS and time for your team to catch up.

Either way in Huttball we are the protectors of the middle for our team

I generally stick with the ball. There's no better defense than Cover Pulse. Hits everyone and its very likely that it will isolate the ball; setting me up for a kill or allowing my teammate to cruise on in to score. Toughest battles are against those teams who stick together like glue. Cover Pulse is a game changer, especially when used topside. Pillar LOS at a fire and split their team when they move up on you.

• 1 month later...