Most satisfying class

Bebus

So, I've been playing for about 6 months, and have tried many but not all classes yet, and was wondering what people think are the most satisfying classes to play.

This can be judged by whatever criteria you want: the rate you mow down enemies, the screen-shaking visual effects of your powers, the feeling of bad-assery the storyline grants, the voice actor nailing a line perfectly, anything.

I have a couple right now: the male Operative who has an absolutely brilliant voice actor, and his chuckle whenever he downs an enemy with a knife in the back sends shivers down my spine.

Additionally, my Powertech who fills the screen with explosions, fire and rocket punches feels so incredibly powerful that it's a blast (heh) to play.

What class always puts a smile on your face?

Disclaimer: My opinion, please, do not feel like you have to vehemently disagree. I do not at all try to belittle your experiences! I swear!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nearly Perfect: Smuggler! S/he's got it all! Ease of playing the class! Great Cast! Twilek Class! The Companions that come on steadily and distributed evenly through the game! Voicing amazing on both genders! LS and DS both Satisfying! The two flies in the ointment is that:

1. the Best.Romance.In.The. Game is left hanging. If my F!Smuggler could continue relationship with Numen Brock into Chapter 3-4 I'd be delighted

2. If Guss Tuno was a Nautolan, and the one above was true, I would be playing another F!Smuggler... and another and another... yes, even through Taris!

For the Heart: Consular. In love with the crew minus Qyzen and Nadia. The class really has horrid teasers in Romantic department. Basically, the only thing a female can do is have an unrequited passion for Zenith and the male romance is simply not an option (no M!Consular in my Legacy). And, it has Zenith! (Oh, Zenith is my fav in this game, in case you totally did not see another 1000 posts I casually mentioned that fact.)

For the game Enjoyment: Inquisitor-Assassin. Twilek Class! Between the powerful backstory and Absolutely Super-Cool animations OMG. Just started playing it, and OMG. OMG. OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Instant gamegasm. Too bad female voice is lousy. Male compensates, the best male voice after M!Smuggler ('cause M!Smuggler sounds like... well, Zenith).

Edited by DomiSotto

From a play style perspective. I find Vanguards to be the most fun (i know i'm probably in the minority) along with Slingers (i mean double pew pew come on).

Story wise on the pub side slingers > knights > troopers (Michael Bay movie) > consulars ( really boring imho)

on the imp side it's agents > warriors > BH > inquisitors (again, meh).

Amusingly enough the order is the same for both imp and pub side for me :D

T.

P.S. before they nerfed flyby, slingers were hands down my favorite... you could call down an air strike... now it has all the offensive power of an elderly grandma blowing on your hair (or a hotel hairdryer)

Edited by ThomasCool

Best Class to mow things down: Vengeance Jugg

Best Healing Class: Bodyguard Mercinary

Most Fun Tank: Shield Tech Powertech

Most Fun DPS class: Madness Sin

Best Storyline: Agent (If you dispute this, go kill yourself right NOW)

Worst Storyline: Trooper (If you dispute this, go kill yourself again if you disputed the Agent = Best Story)

Nearly Perfect: Smuggler! S/he's got it all! Ease of playing the class! Great Cast! Twilek Class! The Companions that come on steadily and distributed evenly through the game! Voicing amazing on both genders! LS and DS both Satisfying! The two flies in the ointment is that:

1. the Best.Romance.In.The. Game is left hanging. If my F!Smuggler could continue relationship with Numen Brock into Chapter 3-4 I'd be delighted

2. If Guss Tuno was a Nautolan, and the one above was true, I would be playing another F!Smuggler... and another and another... yes, even through Taris!

You've made me want to roll a smuggler now, since they are one of few classes I've not gotten to the advanced class stage :p I shall do it when I get home tonight! Thinking Twilek... a dashing rogue who's in it for the fun and acts with greedy selfishness, but has a secret heart of gold that prevents them from doing some really awful things.

But male or female! Can't decide! You sound like you know your smugglers, which of them seems to have the most fun?

Regarding animations I really like the "dirty kick" of the Gunslinger ( brings even droids & huge monsters down ! ), his Freighter Flyby and the Earth Quake of the Sage. I don't play a Serceror, but I'd like that Thunderstorms and Lightning as well. Too bad that the Sage just doesn't have similar cool-looking animations. In general I find the animations of the Republic side rather boring. Typical faction favouritism, imho. ( Most of my chars are in the 30s, so I can't say much about end-game aniomations yet). Edited by AlrikFassbauer

But male or female! Can't decide! You sound like you know your smugglers, which of them seems to have the most fun?

Erm, not so much know, as profoundly love! You go roll one, we can compare the notes!

I am a Female Player (and boundlessly proud of the fact), so I like playing as a girl, by the obvious reasons. :) In my opinion only, story is better for a Girl, because the antagonists are all male, and you get a priceless option of not only kicking their nuts up their throats and dancing on their graves, but also kicking what's stuck to your boots afterwards off the poor forever the 'second best' Riggs. The real memorable Twi'lek+Twilek coolness is also for a girl.

The cast compatibility, and the evil game-play is better for a boy, who can flirt (using the convenient Bio's euphemism) and shoot his way across the Galaxy, and get two in-party romances in one play-through. I still have to fortify my run by playing Zenith (my males have to be super-special, and acquire an appealing backstory before I commit to one, otherwise I drop them). That's the only Class you can re-create the existing Companion with a matching look, voice, personality and near perfect equipment match. Doubt playing Zenith rocks anyone else's boat. Heh.

Aww, a Smuggler... envy you for starting one!

Off to go suffer through Jaesa's voice-set to Pierce join-in.

Best Storyline: Agent (If you dispute this, go kill yourself right NOW)

It is a very good story, but you share it with Kalyio for the entirety of Chapter 1, and then are pelted with companions at an alarming speed. Kaliyo is a very nice companion, but it is inconvenient and makes the class much harder to get into.

Edited by DomiSotto

Sith Warrior tends to get the most satisfying conversation options. I think they kill more people during convos than any other class. Sith Warriors are also the most fun melee class. Their attack animations are vicious. Marauders with their dual sabers are nice, and Juggs with their force push are also fun.

However, I find playing a melee class in MMO dungeons to be obscenely boring. It seems like game devs always try and come up with interesting boss mechanics and completely forget there's going to be some people that have to be in melee range to do their damage.

I find Gunslinger/Sniper to be the most fun ranged DPS classes. Mostly because you rely on your weapon so much instead of firing rockets from your wrist. The Marksman/Sharpshooter rotation is fun for me, but only after you get Followthrough.

Some fights can be annoying because you're an immobile turret, though. Getting knocked back or pulled toward a boss kills your damage output for a bit. And the auto-cover-roll thing is unpredictable at best.

It is a very good story, but you share it with Kalyio for the entirety of Chapter 1, and then are pelted with companions at an alarming speed. Kaliyo is a very nice companion, but it is inconvenient and makes the class much harder to get into.

Agreed. I really really disliked Kaliyo, and ended up abandoning my Operative for quite some time, until HK-51 was released I was able to use him instead.

For me I am having a blast at the minute playing between my Operative and powertech (Both DPS).

The operative because of the close range usage of knives, with an ability of off heal if needed and the voice actor for the male is great with different accents used depending on the situation plus I get to badmouth Sith Lords to their faces (not always without repercussion).

The bounty hunter is a more straight forward story but at the moment it has my favourite play style (who can dislike the rocket punch - it reminds me of street fighter when I was younger). Plus although I am early on and only have 1 companion Mako seem interesting (if slightly cutesy) person to speak to.

Snip for brevity

I started a male Twilek smuggler last night! Got to level 9, and don't think I've laughed so much at some of the dialogue and actions even in that short time! I went with male because I liked the idea of charming, flirting & sleeping my way across the galaxy and from what you said the females (as usual in games, sadly...) have less agency in this regard.

The game feels totally different, instead of noble Jedi and brutal bounty hunters I'm just a random guy running around booting people in the nads, whacking them with my gun, shooting consoles because they don't work, and legging it before anybody finds the bodies (so that's what that smell is), even the soundtrack sounds quite playful: such a change! Definitely merits a place in this thread from what I've seen so far :cool:

And I have to agree with everybody on the Agent storyline: it's absolutely awesome. I'm playing mine in a duo with my friend and her Bounty Hunter, put up against each other there seems to be a real gulf between the stories in quality (not that the BH is bad, the Agent is just another level altogether) and the voice acting is superb. That evil chuckle when TA is triggered... so good!

I am so glad you love your Smuggler! And, yes, as I mentioned it, when the 'Smuggler " theme music kicks in, you know you are in for a treat of a cutscene. Smuggler is one class where you are expected to laugh at your character, not just with him. Not taking yourself too seriously is a HUGE win in my book. Haven't seen any other character do that. Yes, F!Smuggler gets to Flirt way less, but she gets the best romantic sequence imo in the game, with numen Brock. That's the romance as I would have loved to see it in the game - it mixes flirting with the high adventure, the characters actually work together, she saves him, and there is that huge kiss in the space-port - AWESOME, BioWARE! Beats the "let's go back to the ship to talk about us," hands down.

I have started a Sith Warrior, and I have to say Twi'leks were made for either Knight or SW class as well. The animation on a Leap with the Lekku streaming behind is an absolute gamegasm. I have to disagree though on the conversational options. I find them sadly lacking. It has a lot of 'stock' responses, and my SW never has a good rejoinder to a Jedi or a random Good Guy lecturing him/her. Plus, the female voice has uneven sound recording, so she often sounds perceptively louder than other characters. Things like that tend to bother me. I haven't heard that problem on a male yet, but the night is young. My male is LS so I reserve my judgment on the LS dialogue quality.

IA - was the very first character I created, and played, but she is still stick on Dromund Kaas. As much as I liked the story so far, I just never felt a connection to the character, and knowing that Vector is not coming forever and ever really put a dumper on things. And I do like Kaliyo. I can't say I enjoy a BH much. Mako is overemphasized imo, even if I like her Trinity meets Imoen backstory (though I'd take a shamelessly copied Trinity over anything Imoen any day). It seems that they try to compensate the lackluster sequence by trying to make very interesting scenery NPCs in the backstory. It does work, but just doesn't cut it. I like the Trooper more, because of the Hard Choices that are present her. BH is too simple. Kill = DS, Freeze = LS.

Edited by DomiSotto

1. Bounty Hunter - Throwing fire, blaster bolts, missiles = win

2. Sith Warrior - Force Choke, Force Leap

3. Smuggler - Dirty Kick, slapping mouths with blaster barrels, humor and charm

Honorable mention: Trooper - High Impact Bolt - big fat, wet Star Wars blaster sound; Clone Trooper armor

Least satisfying: Consular dirtstorms

Best playstyle: Vanguard/Powertech

Most fun to kill mobs: Combat (Sentinel) / Carnage (Marauder)

Most fun DPS: Infiltration (Shadow) / Deception (Assassin)

Most fun Tank: Shadow/Assassin

Best looking visual effects: Sage (Telekinetics)

Best storyline:

Republic: Smuggler (not finished) > Knight > Trooper = Consular

Empire (so far): Warrior (though Agent is fighting for this spot real hard) > BH (not finished) > Inquisitor

The most satisfying class is always Metal Shop, because students get to play with arc welders and stuff. -bp

It must feel good to be special. ;)

Edited by Halinalle

I really liked the first two chapters of the smuggler story, because you get to hate Skavak sooo much. Third chapter is meh, but you get Guss, who is by far the funniest companion in SWTOR.

Gameplay wise I gravitate most to Seer and Shadow Tank. I liked the consular storyline second best on Republic side, but I had an unusual take on it from the very beginning (see sig). If you let the game just spoon feed the story to you it's less interesting.

Operative story is also nice. Though a, "people are resources to be used, don't throw them away," philosophy has led to almost pure light side play, which is a bit weird.

Non-human inquisitor is also a bit interesting. Of all my characters this is the one where the story provides the greatest motivation to bring down the Empire and wipe the Sith from the face of the galaxy. More than all of my Republic characters combined.

For killing trash mobs, I think Madness Sorcerer is probably the smoothest, cleanest experience I've had. Mind you, Madness DPS is weak against tough boss monsters.

On the other side of the coin (tough boss monsters), for the satisfaction of laughing as you solo Heroic 4 missions (and some flashpoints), Immortal Juggernaut never lets me down.

Speaking of the Sith Warrior, I'd say the male Sith Warrior is the best voice in the game. Commanding, regal and intelligent, yet at the same time, every word is delivered with the barely-contained fury of a true Sith. Brilliant acting.

In terms of story, I can't be of much assistance, since I only finished Trooper, Warrior and Inquisitor stories. Out of these 3, though, I'd have to choose Inquisitor.

Companions. Again, I've only played the aforementioned 3 classes to the end, but so far, Sith Warrior wins hands down, if only because of Vette.

For me it is definitely deception assassin, just something about sneaking around and stabbing people in the back. Also i like to sneak past all the mobs after i finish the bonus quests. Powertech advanced prototype and Merc Arsenal are both fun as hell for me. AP gets to set everyone on fire while arsenal gets to fire an *** load of missles. Both are loaded with fun times.

For me its the Juggernaut tank.

It has my favorite story and companions.

I love how solid and powerful the animations and sound effects feel. Force Leap, Force Push --> Force Leap, and Intercede give it a dynamic and surprisingly mobile play-style. Also leaping into a large group of ranged enemies, hitting reflect, and watching the storm of incoming fire bounce back at them is the best thing ever.

• 2 weeks later...

SWTOR is my first MMO, and the Sentinel was my first Toon. With the lack of experience in an MMO and SWTOR specifically, it was tough, not to mention the issue with DPS being the most common tree.

Storylines, I enjoyed the Bounty Hunter, Smuggler, and Jedi Knight storylines the best, with the more boring ones being the Inquisitor and Consular (although, to be fair, I'm only level 40 on each).

Favorite moves are the Rocket Punch and Death from Above from the Bounty Hunter and the AoE lightning effect from the Inquisitor.

Class Roles, I like healing and tanking more than straight DPS, and my favorite toon to heal on is the Bounty Hunter, and my favorite tank has been the Vanguard with the harpoon. That's the coolest move in PvP. My only DPS is the Sentinel and I love the fact that he has dual lightsabers, even though he is the toughest character to keep alive (for me at least).

Favorite Companions, I like HK, but never really used him a lot after unlocking him.

It's a toss-up between my two tanks; my Powertech and my Juggernaut. Love 'em both.

The Juggernaut animations are great, and Saber reflect lets you perform some pretty spectacular pulls. Leveling it was annoying due to how back-loaded the immortal tree is, but it's worth the effort.

The Powertech was a literal blast right out of the gate. Too much fun. That iconic looking armor combined with all the gratuitous explosions and fire. Good times guaranteed.

Smuggler is my favorite because Han Solo and Lando Calrissian are my favorite Star Wars characters. Gunslinger because wielding two blasters is great. This is my first MMO, and Smuggler was the first class I played. Even though I had zero MMO experience, the Smuggler's progression of fighting abilities were fairly intuitive and understandable. And, the Smuggler's spaceship makes my Star Wars loving heart sing. A morally ambiguous Smuggler is great fun, because all of her choices feel right, whether she's self-serving, or self-sacrificing.

I enjoyed the Sith Inquisitor story line, the character starting as a slave, and how her life changes through the class story. And, lightning! Lots of lightning! The first time I saw the SI's regen, Seethe, I loved the look of it. My Sith Sorcerer was the first time I played a healer, and an Empire character.

I have a Vanguard tank specc'd, however, after completing chapter 3, she pretty much became a crafter/bank. I made a Commando to try Trooper as a healer. It didn't feel like a good fit for me. I respecc'd my Commando to DPS, and I love playing her. The combo of ranged DPS with a few side heals is fun for me.