Accuracy for a DPS Sorcerer in 5.0 in PvE and PvP

AllisonLightning

This is a question based on contradicting links and some conflicting advice about the DPS branch and accuracy, given their force attacks so this stat and its percentage beyond what's in the set gear pieces- what is it's use for a DPS Sorcerer who does no melee attacks from people who play them.

Thanks.

Melee/ranged has nothing to do with accuracy. As some point in the distant pass, I believe melee/ranged vs force/tech did have something to do with accuracy, but it hasn't been the case for quite a while. For PVE (specifically operations), you basically need to have 110% accuracy, which is around 740 accuracy. If you are just doing solo mode, it doesn't really matter,

If you are doing PVP, that is where most of the links you see probably disagree. Seems most people run 103-105% accuracy for pvp, but some people swear by 101% (remember you get a 1% boost from completing one of the companions quest chains). Personally, since PVE is my focus, I run 110% accuracy in pvp because I'm not going to waste time creating a pvp set as well and I've not suffered any problems due to it. My damage is potentially lower than it would be, so if your focus is PVP I would not go higher than 105%, but otherwise it is not a big deal, and stats are not going to be a huge determining factor in how you do.

This is a question based on contradicting links and some conflicting advice about the DPS branch and accuracy, given their force attacks so this stat and its percentage beyond what's in the set gear pieces- what is it's use for a DPS Sorcerer who does no melee attacks from people who play them.

Thanks.

In PvE bosses have 10% defenses, including resist chances to tech and force, so you need 110% accuracy like any other classes. I don't bother with it while leveling mostly, but end game you'll need those 736 points of accuracy like everyone.

In PvP, I don't run any. There are some classes that have buffs with decent uptime that gives them from 5% to 10% resist, but not enough to warrant permanent usage of accuracy. Better investing into power crit and alacrity. For a power crit heavy build, I'd still switch 2 enhencement into alacrity, and rest into crit, with all augments being power. I personnaly run my regular ammounts of crit/alac from pve, just dump the accuracy since I'm lazy and don't want to use 2 gear set. Still work well.

Melee/ranged has nothing to do with accuracy. As some point in the distant pass, I believe melee/ranged vs force/tech did have something to do with accuracy, but it hasn't been the case for quite a while. For PVE (specifically operations), you basically need to have 110% accuracy, which is around 740 accuracy. If you are just doing solo mode, it doesn't really matter,

If you are doing PVP, that is where most of the links you see probably disagree. Seems most people run 103-105% accuracy for pvp, but some people swear by 101% (remember you get a 1% boost from completing one of the companions quest chains). Personally, since PVE is my focus, I run 110% accuracy in pvp because I'm not going to waste time creating a pvp set as well and I've not suffered any problems due to it. My damage is potentially lower than it would be, so if your focus is PVP I would not go higher than 105%, but otherwise it is not a big deal, and stats are not going to be a huge determining factor in how you do.

Reason is, in pvp you fight player. Classes have a 5% baseline melee/ranged defense (10% for inquisitors) but 0% baseline force/tech resist chance, contrary to pve mobs that have 10% accross the board. Some AC, in their utilities or in some specs, have some effects will give them some, permanently, or temporary with a more or less high uptime depending, but mostly you'll be hitting people with 0% resist chance, so accuracy is not as desirable, as all your attacks are force based (except saber strike, but if you rush in to saber strike, no ammount of gearing can save you from being bad)

Running 105% is for classes that also have important melee ranged damage in their rotation. And again, if you head to the assassin subforum, you'll see not everyone agrees on that, but maths are clear that running 105% is beneficial vs going too far into the crit DR.

If you only pvp occasionnaly, same it doesnt make sense to gear specifically for it. What I do is switch my MH/OH and one augment and my stim personnally, but not switching anything works too for regs, its mostly based on how you play and not what you wear tbh.

Also, classes like Fury marauder that have a 10% resist chance up with a roughly 75% uptime must find you are annoying :p But its normally not worth it to run 10% accuracy just because ONE discipline has some defenses against you.