Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

If I Hated the Jedi Knight Story...

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Story and Lore
If I Hated the Jedi Knight Story...

BrianDavion
05.24.2015 , 09:27 PM | #11
the Jedi Knight story is a classicly Star Wars adventure. it's the hero's journy yadda yadda yeah. which means if you like that kinda stuff you'll enjoy it, but those whom don't enjoy it might think it's cliche (cause it is, thats the POINT)

that said if you dislike it try the agent storyline. However to be blunt, you may simply not want to play this game. ALL the class stories in the game involve exceptionally talented important people making their way in the galaxy. it's a "rise to power" story for the most powerful people of their generation in the galaxy.

this game doesn't really have an "everyman story"

(as for the JK being hailed without justifcation pay close attention on Tython, even from tython on BW is pretty much telling you that your character is EXTRAORDINARY. you casually force lift a rock on a planetary quest line that you're told after only a master should have been able to lift)

MadDutchman
05.24.2015 , 10:18 PM | #12
I really liked the Inquisitor, it has the "I am powerful ******" on a much more personal level, and has consequences to your actions that you must deal with (you spend a good part of act 3 doing just that)

Spoiler

agent was excellent as well, and smuggler is very good if you want a lighter, funnier story, that should not be run full light or dark (shade on the dark side is best personally, but that's just me)

I can't stand trooper and BH, desperately dull. Only two I haven't managed to finish yet, even on 12 XP
Consular suffers a bit from the same as the JK, though not nearly as bad. Biggest weakness is horrible companions
SW really depends on how you play, can be very fun if you go off the beaten path a bit (especially if you keep vette around) going a mixed alignment and taunting Baras at every turn.
Demand: Are. We. There. Yet.

Use my referral link for free goodies.

Allegos
05.25.2015 , 12:27 AM | #13
I loved the Inquisitor story. In addition to being a tale of a scrappy underdog who serves comeuppance to those who underestimated you, it also casts you as a space necromancer who wouldn't be out of place in a Clark Ashton Smith story, delving into forbidden lore for the power to assert yourself. The end of Chapter 3 is alternately creepy and triumphant.

I'm a big fan of the Bounty Hunter as well. Like the Agent, Smuggler, and Trooper, the Bounty Hunter views the war between Jedi and Sith from the outside, and can be critical of both sides at times. What a lot of people neglect to mention is that your Bounty Hunter also has the option of calling shenanigans on the Mandalorians and their "do whatever underhanded thing I want and call it honor" baloney, choosing to go your own way as you make a name for yourself in the underworld.
"The Nerfbat is a natural part of life. Rejoice for those FOTMs who transform into the Force. Mourn them do not. Miss them do not. Attachment leads to jealousy. The shadow of greed that is."

Sangiban
05.25.2015 , 12:50 AM | #14
I'd actually recommend the Sith Warrior story. The JK & SW are mirror classes of each other yet their stories are not. The Jedi Knight story is so full of cliche, hero worship, and bland writing. The Sith Warrior story, while it is also simplistic in it's approach, has well written villains, interesting companions (including one who's light or dark based on whether you are), and the ending is the same whether you play light or dark. Unlike the Knight story where it's presumably satisfying on light side but completely unsatisfying on dark side. Not to mention playing a goody two-shoes SW still makes sense in the context of the storyline, whereas the stupid evil JK causes the story to self-contradict. Did I mention the ending is the same regardless of alignment?

If the Sith Warrior story doesn't take your fancy, I'd recommend the Smuggler & Bounty Hunter storylines. Seems nearly everyone recommends Agent, and while I really enjoy Acts 1 & 2, Act 3 takes a turn for complete stupid. The Smuggler & Bounty Hunter stories are very personal and enjoyable, and they have some of the best one-liners in the game in my opinion.
Quote: Originally Posted by My Lord Sheogorath, Daedric Prince of Madness View Post
I suppose an introduction is in order. I'm Sshheogorath, PRRRRINCE. OF. MADNESS! And... other things. I'm not talking about them.

DomiSotto
05.25.2015 , 02:56 AM | #15
I'd say Smuggler and BH if you are looking for a main character that has tons of personality and a story that is there to showcase it. Warrior if you want for something like JK only not heroic. Inquisitor and Consular as a take on how a Jedi and SIth's personal growth. Trooper/IA, if you want a story that tries to go for a protagonist who just follows orders, and serves the Republic/Empire rather than a Chosen one.
Deal.

Cuiwe
05.25.2015 , 06:11 AM | #16
Quote: Originally Posted by Xilizhra View Post
I personally favor the Inquisitor story (though am playing the Smuggler story now, have reached Tatooine, and am enjoying it so far), in large part because it's so thematically consistent: it's a story very much about being Sith, philosophically, and the Sith Code itself. It's about personal strength, power, victory and freedom, and I think it handles the subject better than the Warrior, which seems to be more straight-up military life and constantly being ordered around by people (while the Inquisitor stops taking orders from anyone after Chapter 1, and even then wasn't in as blatantly a subordinate position as the Warrior was in that chapter).
Just as Consular is about Jedi Code. Really, the classes can be broken down thusly:

Jedi Knight < - > Sith Warrior (noble defender vs egoistic bastard)
Jedi Consular < - > Sith Inquisitor (Jedi Code vs Sith Code)
Republic Trooper < - > Imperial Agent (two looks on the military side of factions)
Smuggler < - > Bounty Hunter (personal, independent stories)

If you OP disliked JK, I'd suggest either SW or either of Smuggler/BH pairing.
"I am not in this for politics, nor the wanton destruction, hell not even for credits. I have chosen this way of life because of the hunt and because it was pushed onto me on some ugly slimeball called a "pearl" and Honour bound me to this path ever onwards" Caelestinus

menofhorror
05.25.2015 , 06:12 AM | #17
I donīt know why for some cliche equals bad?

Yes the plot is very cliche, HOWEVER, you can tell that much more money was invested into the knights story than the other classes.
Most planetary arc has a few choices which provide different outcomes in the finale of the arc.
For example, you can save someone on a certain planet arc who helps you fight the main boss at the end of said arc.

You donīt have that with the trooper, not with the counsular, not with the Smuggler.

Sangiban
05.25.2015 , 06:30 AM | #18
Which makes it all the more sad since the Jedi Knight story is so poorly written and doesn't hold up to it's mirror story (the Sith Warrior). Cliche does not always mean bad to me, but it often does because nine times out of ten it's not handled in an interesting way that I can look over that it's a cliche. The fact that you are the only one capable of stopping your enemies and that almost everyone worships the ground you tread as if you were the messiah is incredibly obnoxious. Not to mention the final fight with the demi-god of the game was a three minute button spam, at least the final fight of the SW story has two rounds. In addition the ending was completely and utterly unsatisfying, whereas in the SW story it ends the same regardless of alignment.
Quote: Originally Posted by My Lord Sheogorath, Daedric Prince of Madness View Post
I suppose an introduction is in order. I'm Sshheogorath, PRRRRINCE. OF. MADNESS! And... other things. I'm not talking about them.

Cuiwe
05.25.2015 , 08:52 AM | #19
Quote: Originally Posted by Sangiban View Post
Which makes it all the more sad since the Jedi Knight story is so poorly written and doesn't hold up to it's mirror story (the Sith Warrior). Cliche does not always mean bad to me, but it often does because nine times out of ten it's not handled in an interesting way that I can look over that it's a cliche. The fact that you are the only one capable of stopping your enemies and that almost everyone worships the ground you tread as if you were the messiah is incredibly obnoxious. Not to mention the final fight with the demi-god of the game was a three minute button spam, at least the final fight of the SW story has two rounds. In addition the ending was completely and utterly unsatisfying, whereas in the SW story it ends the same regardless of alignment.
And act 3 SW is handled well?
"I am not in this for politics, nor the wanton destruction, hell not even for credits. I have chosen this way of life because of the hunt and because it was pushed onto me on some ugly slimeball called a "pearl" and Honour bound me to this path ever onwards" Caelestinus

menofhorror
05.25.2015 , 09:26 AM | #20
Quote: Originally Posted by Cuiwe View Post
And act 3 SW is handled well?
Still a decent chapter.