Server Lag

KellKenoby

I'm sick and tired of these constant lags every evening. My ping is above 100 and it's not my side problem. Something with servers I guess. If the problem continues I will have to cancel my subscription. Playing is too problematic and I don't want to spend my money for nothing.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Same here, quite a few evenings with lag up and over 10k ms. It makes it just unplayable.

The strange thing is I can have a smooth connection and my wife next to me has a lot of lag. And later the same day it's the other way around

I'm sick and tired of these constant lags every evening. My ping is above 100 and it's not my side problem. Something with servers I guess. If the problem continues I will have to cancel my subscription. Playing is too problematic and I don't want to spend my money for nothing.

How do you know it’s not you’re end or the routing? Usually if there are massive lag problems there are 10 threads and 20 different people posting about it.

You’ve not even said what server you are on or where you are located.

I’ve no problems and I play from Australia. My standard ping with that distance is 220ms and I’m not having any issues with spikes or extra ping at the moment.

And usually when I do, it’s not my end, but it’s also not the servers. It’s usually some hop along the way between us.

Can I suggest you download a program called ping plotter and put the swtor server IP address in it. This will show you your routing, ping and packet loss in a live setting, you can then see if it’s the server end, your end or somewhere between.

Same here, quite a few evenings with lag up and over 10k ms. It makes it just unplayable.

The strange thing is I can have a smooth connection and my wife next to me has a lot of lag. And later the same day it's the other way around

That sounds more like a router/modem problem.

Do the same thing as I suggested to the OP and run it on both PCs when this is happening. It will show what’s happening.

That sounds more like a router/modem problem.

Do the same thing as I suggested to the OP and run it on both PCs when this is happening. It will show what’s happening.

Thanks, I will try that. Do you know where I can find the server IP for Malgus?

My wife also plays on the same network and we rarely get this issue at the same time (if ever) might it still be a router problem you think?

<edit: spelling)

Edited by MrSteed

I'm on Star Forge and I'm getting horrible lag spikes since the latest patch. It's almost impossible to play right now as the spikes is occurring often and I was DC a few times. And no, it's not my internet or PC. I play other online games as well and I've no problems.

It was great yesterday but today it's back to being terrible. Chat is full of people saying the same :(

Now for captain pingplotter to tell us it's all the players' modems and routers that are at fault.

Just gonna play GW2 instead, that's working fine.

Pingplotter does not reveal anything that should give me a 2000 ms lag in game.

Not sure what I am supposed to see but I get an average of 71 ms from Pingplotter.

Been lagfree all day but now it's back

Anyone who knows this better and wants to give a tip on how to look further other then "google it" ?

<Edit:> Tried logging out from Darth Malgus and on to Leviathan and then back. And the lag is gone, not sure it's not just a coincidence but I will try that next time aswell

Edited by MrSteed

Thanks, I will try that. Do you know where I can find the server IP for Malgus?

My wife also plays on the same network and we rarely get this issue at the same time (if ever) might it still be a router problem you think?

<edit: spelling)

How to get the data and watch it live.

Download Pingplotter at http://www.pingplotter.com

Install it so you can look at the hops to the server

To find out the server IP (it changes everytime you log in now) you need start swtor and then go back to your Windows desktop.

Now run command prompt in Administrator mode

(Depending on which Windows you have, there are different ways to run it in Administrator mode, so do a quick Google search on how too for your windows version)

Type this command into the command shell after you have opened it.

Netstat -n -p tcp -b | more

(I usually have the netstat command saved in a txt file for notepad and just copy and paste it into the command prompt)

It will show you the 2 swtor connections to the server IP

It usually has an ip like this - 159.153.65.233 or 159.153.65.232

But because it changes each time you login it will be different.. Ie it could be - 159.153.65.220

This is why you have to run this each time if you want to get an accurate read on the server ping.

Once you have that ip, open pingplotter. You can then enter the swtor server ip you are connected to and it will run a live trace route, showing all the connection hops along the way.

You'll be able to see live statistics and information on what is happening.

Pingplotter does not reveal anything that should give me a 2000 ms lag in game.

Not sure what I am supposed to see but I get an average of 71 ms from Pingplotter.

Been lagfree all day but now it's back

Anyone who knows this better and wants to give a tip on how to look further other then "google it" ?

<Edit:> Tried logging out from Darth Malgus and on to Leviathan and then back. And the lag is gone, not sure it's not just a coincidence but I will try that next time aswell

It might be better if I can see what you are seeing by posting an image. Then I can interpret it for you.

Run ping plotter in the back ground while you are playing.

When you start seeing the lag problems, keep playing for about 5 - 10 mins and go back to ping plotter.

Under one of the drop down menus in ping plotter there is an option to take a screen shot. You can either do that or take a Windows desktop screen shot and edit it.

Once you have that, just post it in imgur and post the link here so I can see it.

Hopefully we can get to the bottom of this for you.

One thing everyone should take into consideration at the moment.

With the Cov-19 pandemic, there are way more people on the internet from their homes at the same time around the world. This is causing network congestion everywhere from localised ISPs, regional networks, submarine cables, backbone networks, websites, gaming and especially from services like Netflix which has had a big increase in usage because so many people are staying at home (at least that’s what my ISP is saying).

This is going to increase and keep getting worse as more people work from home or go into isolation situations in communities and countries. Netflix type streaming services are one of the biggest bandwidth uses in the world. They are the biggest contributors to the congestion and probably putting a massive strain on the networks at this time.

Many networks are built to a certain capacity and can’t physically increase it. Some ISPs also throttle capacity and others won’t buy/pay for extra capacity from whole sale suppliers.

All of this will contribute to ping spikes and speeds in swtor. It is also causing packet loss at hops, which will make the game feel laggy even if the ping meter isn’t moving.

I am currently seeing lots of issues in the US networks that are using the Zayo back bones as well as my own ISP who won’t increase its provisioning at this time. The pacific cable also seems to be congested more than usual.

As with the virus, this will keep getting worse before it gets better. And if too many people in the tech sector (who look after it all) get sick, we will see a drastic reduction in the quality of internet services.

I suggest everyone get ready for a bumpy ride and stock up on non internet PC games or books just incase playing online games becomes too painful or unviable due to ping or connection issues

It might be better if I can see what you are seeing by posting an image. Then I can interpret it for you.

Run ping plotter in the back ground while you are playing.

When you start seeing the lag problems, keep playing for about 5 - 10 mins and go back to ping plotter.

Under one of the drop down menus in ping plotter there is an option to take a screen shot. You can either do that or take a Windows desktop screen shot and edit it.

Once you have that, just post it in imgur and post the link here so I can see it.

Hopefully we can get to the bottom of this for you.

Thanks for your help!

I will do this next time this happens. Trying to have pingplotter running all the time in the background.

Ok, i build computers and since they moved the servers from west coast , where i am , to the east coast i have had constant lag anywhere from 100 to 500 milliseconds, there really is no excuse whatsoever for any slowdown on the

connection, it is not our fault we payed for the server being on west coast and now have to put up with this bs because they do not make enough money!

The slow down can be anywhere from here to there but makes no difference as it is not our fault for the poor quality.

Using a program to map the pings or check the quality does not fix the problem, this is on bioware and EA.

Ok, i build computers and since they moved the servers from west coast , where i am , to the east coast i have had constant lag anywhere from 100 to 500 milliseconds, there really is no excuse whatsoever for any slowdown on the

connection, it is not our fault we payed for the server being on west coast and now have to put up with this bs because they do not make enough money!

The slow down can be anywhere from here to there but makes no difference as it is not our fault for the poor quality.

Using a program to map the pings or check the quality does not fix the problem, this is on bioware and EA.

If you had any tech back ground you would know everything you’ve written is incorrect.

Instead of spreading false information, maybe take some steps to isolate the problem and identifying it. I’ve made post after post in many threads on how to do this, including this one.

As Trixie said, if you really had any tech knowledge you wouldn't make such an [redacted] statement.

BW and EA have no control over the route your ISP takes to get to their servers, and they have no control over the maintenance of the many hubs and routers in between. It's like blaming McDonalds for the potholes in the street on your way there.

So, for the third time in one thread:

"Please Google "internet routing" before making such statements." 😏🙄

Edited by JediQuaker

• 3 months later...
One thing everyone should take into consideration at the moment.

With the Cov-19 pandemic, there are way more people on the internet from their homes at the same time

This. There is also the possibility that the actual, physical servers, are just caked in dust and what have you, because both EA and BioWare do not care about SWTOR in any greater sense anymore. (I'm being cynical ofc, but come on, I'm not that far off here)

Edited by mster_Jacky

Building computers and internet routing are two different skill sets. I can put together a computer with my eyes closed, but I don't consider myself a techie. I've fixed network issues for people, but again, I wouldn't consider myself an expert.

But people here, do seem to be experts, and are giving advice.....personally I'd take it, follow it through, and hope it'd sort out the issue

• 5 weeks later...
This is still happening. After coming back after a year because I saw it on Steam and I wanted to see the newest update. I've never had lag problems on SWTOR in the past. I never have lag problems on any other game. Since I've come back, particularly in the evening (highest load I assume), I start getting a noticeable delay compared to previously that day (No life sometimes).

This is still happening. After coming back after a year because I saw it on Steam and I wanted to see the newest update. I've never had lag problems on SWTOR in the past. I never have lag problems on any other game. Since I've come back, particularly in the evening (highest load I assume), I start getting a noticeable delay compared to previously that day (No life sometimes).

Have you run ping plotter and tested?

794/5000

for years this problem has existed, both for lag and for infinite dc, so far i haven't seen a real solution that works, if you don't believe me do a little research and see that there are hundreds of people with this problem or similar, they still keep saying that the router or the player's local problem, nonsense, they don't know how to solve the truth.

the game is wonderful and always showed potential, but this problem with infinite DC and lag always claimed by the players, I have the problem with the DCs that never stop, with updates or not so far it has not been solved and honestly I don't realize that one day it will come to be, because they keep pushing the blame for the players with their bellies.

try to live with it or it is guaranteed that the solution here you will not find.

794/5000

for years this problem has existed, both for lag and for infinite dc, so far i haven't seen a real solution that works, if you don't believe me do a little research and see that there are hundreds of people with this problem or similar, they still keep saying that the router or the player's local problem, nonsense, they don't know how to solve the truth.

the game is wonderful and always showed potential, but this problem with infinite DC and lag always claimed by the players, I have the problem with the DCs that never stop, with updates or not so far it has not been solved and honestly I don't realize that one day it will come to be, because they keep pushing the blame for the players with their bellies.

try to live with it or it is guaranteed that the solution here you will not find.

yes, there are multiple threads with people having the same issues, but if you've read those threads, most get it sorted by taking the advice of some of the very experienced players in the game.

Unfortunately some people think they know more, mouth off, and never get anything sorted, because they don't try it themselves.