Forced to romance/marry Mako

Oragummi

So I have played SWTOR since launch and my bounty hunter is now level 53 but up until yesterday I hadn't finished Mako's personal missions. When I finally got around to finishing her quests I was seemingly presented with a choice through dialog with her: start romance with Mako or start romance with mako. I saw no option to say no to her and I tried every option. The issue story-wise is that my bounty hunter and Mako are a terrible match and make absolutely no sense together. Even so I continued with the romance seeing as how I didn't seem to have a choice. When I got to the last conversation with her I had three dialog options two of which were marriage proposals and one which was something like " let's get back to work". I of course chose the third option hoping that it would end the romance but instead the next day to my surprise I had a letter in the mail from Mako excitedly telling me how happy she was to be engaged to my BH. What.....The......Hell....Did I do something wrong in the dialog because I never saw any option to say no to the romance. As someone who cares about the story decisions in this game I must say I am quite frustrated with this. If any one can help me out and tell me what happened or if a Bioware employee sees this and can reset the quest chain for me I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks.

She's the only female companion you have... So, logically she's the one you would marry... so... of course it's a But thou must situation... I don't see why it's not logical for a Male BH to marry Mako... It makes sense story wise. She was your first partner in the Great Hunt.

Just personal preference. It isn't that it doesn't make sense it's that my BH and Mako's personalities seriously clash and my bounty hunter would probably have a strong objection to romancing/marrying her (I try to stay true to my characters' personalities).

edit: on a side note my BH is very very dark side where as Mako is light side and objects to just about everything my BH says and does.

Edited by Oragummi

Just personal preference. It isn't that it doesn't make sense it's that my BH and Mako's personalities seriously clash and my bounty hunter would probably have a strong objection to romancing/marrying her (I try to stay true to my characters' personalities).

edit: on a side note my BH is very very dark side where as Mako is light side and objects to just about everything my BH says and does.

Opposites attract.

Agreed, my BH was dark sided too, Didn't help that I treated her like crap either... The only way you don't romance her is by telling her it was a one nighter & you have no plans to commit.

I looked for a dialog option like that but I never saw one. All I was allowed to do was change the subject or continue the romance. Both of which apparently continued the romance.

Edited by Oragummi

Never lead a crazy woman on. Every answer you give after that point becomes "yes" in her mind.

See, the issue though is that I was literally forced to lead her on. I was never presented with an option to turn her down.

I also keep hearing about how you can encourage Torian to ask her out. I actually remember this part and I seem to remember doing exactly that. There would be no reason for me not to choose that option anyway. However, apparently Mako decided she would rather be a psychotic, delusional stalker and believe she was in a relationship with my BH even though she wasn't rather than have an actual boyfriend. Again Bioware, what the hell?

Is there really no way to say "NO" to the romance? Because I was hoping to play matchmaker with her and the Mandalorian, much more interesting than romancing some code imo.

If there really is no option to keep it professional I'm just going to not do the Mako personal story. Stupid as a solution as that is.

I mean I'm not but....what if the Male Bounty Hunter just "wasn't interested" if you know what I mean.

Is there really no way to say "NO" to the romance? Because I was hoping to play matchmaker with her and the Mandalorian, much more interesting than romancing some code imo.

If there really is no option to keep it professional I'm just going to not do the Mako personal story. Stupid as a solution as that is.

I mean I'm not but....what if the Male Bounty Hunter just "wasn't interested" if you know what I mean.

There's supposed to be a way to not romance her and set her up with Torian but for some reason when I did it I never seemed to get that option. I've seen other people do it though so it definitely is usually an option. I don't know what happened with my play-through of her missions but I guess it glitched for me or I did something wrong without realizing it.

She's the only female companion you have... So, logically she's the one you would marry... so... of course it's a But thou must situation... I don't see why it's not logical for a Male BH to marry Mako... It makes sense story wise. She was your first partner in the Great Hunt.

'It makes sense story wise'

If you took LSD before forming your opinion of what's cohesive, sure.

• 3 months later...
There's supposed to be a way to not romance her and set her up with Torian but for some reason when I did it I never seemed to get that option. I've seen other people do it though so it definitely is usually an option. I don't know what happened with my play-through of her missions but I guess it glitched for me or I did something wrong without realizing it.

I actually did follow that quest chain (female BH) a while back but I only got Torian's affection to level 2 or so (with gifts) so I don;t know if it goes further than that, but when I came back after 4.0 to finish the companion stories before doing the expansion, suddenly Torian is in love with my character and I don't have the option to not be in a relationship with him. :(

I actually did follow that quest chain (female BH) a while back but I only got Torian's affection to level 2 or so (with gifts) so I don;t know if it goes further than that, but when I came back after 4.0 to finish the companion stories before doing the expansion, suddenly Torian is in love with my character and I don't have the option to not be in a relationship with him. :(

I had the exact same thing happen with Torian. I suddenly found my BH all lovey-dovey and huggy with him, going doe-eyed whenever they started talking and yet never once flirted or suggested she was into him, then I get a marriage proposal.

In fact, I found this with every character of mine (I only came back to the game relatively recently, and only maxed affection on characters I liked, rather than romance ones), and I'm guessing it's an issue with the affection ratings no longer defining how they actually feel about you.

I'm guessing they won't go back and re-record dialogue, but hopefully they can add in something like they've done with the Chapter IX/X break with non VR'd dialogue where you can talk to your companions and specify how you feel so you don't look like a complete hypocrite.

Honestly, more of the romance options should have a very early way out of actual romance if you're not interested in realtionships/marriage. My IA ended up somehow in a deep relationship with Vector, my Jedi Knight acting as though she's conflicted about a relationship I never instigated, and my Consular in a similar position.

What makes it worse is the dialogue for ending a relationship (or trying to) tends to be really brutal and in many cases really not what my character would say, especially as in almost every case, I didn't persue a relationship anyway. My light-sided Sth Warrior felt like she was going to kill him when she tried to get out of a romance with her (forced) LI.

I've had a similar problem. I started doing Andronikos Revel companion quests (a NPC that I never really raised the affection because I already had it maxed out on my Assassin) today on my female Sorcerer and suddenly my character was in a relationship with him. My Sorcerer kept turning him down , but the game didn't acknowledge it. In the end it didn't even matter because once I started KOTFE , I ran into that bug where the game doesn't recognize your old romances.

• 3 years later...

I know this is a very old thread I'm reviving, but was looking to see if anyone else wasn't happy about basically being forced in a relationship with Mako. I recently returned to TOR after a long absence and started the BH from the beginning (I have one on Taris but wanted to start again).

I didn't pick any of the flirt options and actually think Torian is a better fit for Mako. She's like my BH's kid sister and the girl 'crush' on my BH seems fitting, but not an all-out romance. And now all of a sudden they're married. Kinda ruined a otherwise fantastic story, right up there with the IA story. It's not like my BH is at all dark side (he's Light IV), he's a business, I'm not an assassin, and a 'where's the money' kinda guy and a shipboard romance isn't something he'd go for.

I heard Lana comes along and that, from what I understand she is a better option.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Just got forced into a marriage by her (or the game) the other day. Kinda irritated me because I wasn't interested in pursuing that kind of relationship with her. I was hoping to hold out until get one the guys can romance later on. Only time I ever chose a flirt option was when there was no other choice but to be an jerk to her, when he does consider her a friend, almost like an adopted sister and he was ok with her wanting a little R&R after things calmed down. (not in a romantic way though)

Then down the line, a few days ago there was this dialogue option where two was forms of marrying her, and one was not. I chose the one to not marry her. She wasn't to pleased by it but guess it is what it is. Except... next day or two I started getting mail with gifts from her with her talking of having them married through the database and keep getting mail from her talking about their marriage as if it was consensual, but neither I or my character agreed to!

Is Mako supposed to be manipulating him into an unwanted marriage? Or is there something really frecked up with the way they set that up? A bug or something?

By way never saw any option of her marrying Torian even though he's only one level lower than her in influence level.

Edited by OdanBaruq

Just got forced into a marriage by her (or the game) the other day. Kinda irritated me because I wasn't interested in pursuing that kind of relationship with her. I was hoping to hold out until get one the guys can romance later on. Only time I ever chose a flirt option was when there was no other choice but to be an jerk to her, when he does consider her a friend, almost like an adopted sister and he was ok with her wanting a little R&R after things calmed down. (not in a romantic way though)

Then down the line, a few days ago there was this dialogue option where two was forms of marrying her, and one was not. I chose the one to not marry her. She wasn't to pleased by it but guess it is what it is. Except... next day or two I started getting mail with gifts from her with her talking of having them married through the database and keep getting mail from her talking about their marriage as if it was consensual, but neither I or my character agreed to!

Is Mako supposed to be manipulating him into an unwanted marriage? Or is there something really frecked up with the way they set that up? A bug or something?

By way never saw any option of her marrying Torian even though he's only one level lower than her in influence level.

You can't marry Torian in the old stories if you are a male hunter ( LOVE Torian Keep hoping there will be a statue of him ;). Back in the day there was no lgbtq romances and to be honest most romance for women other then Torian were plain awful ( Doc V.D., Traitor, cowboy "lets retire and you have babies on a farm " boy) ugg yeah..so , the new ones are better =) its why I like Theron and very glad they didn't leave the whole mess with Theron the way it was :mad:. Although the kill option is still there for our female romances :confused: par for the course I guess. Anyways..I have pretty much given up now until I get to Theron or Torian. Haven't seen anyone better. =) GL.

You can't marry Torian in the old stories if you are a male hunter ( LOVE Torian Keep hoping there will be a statue of him ;). Back in the day there was no lgbtq romances and to be honest most romance for women other then Torian were plain awful ( Doc V.D., Traitor, cowboy "lets retire and you have babies on a farm " boy) ugg yeah..so , the new ones are better =) its why I like Theron and very glad they didn't leave the whole mess with Theron the way it was :mad:. Although the kill option is still there for our female romances :confused: par for the course I guess. Anyways..I have pretty much given up now until I get to Theron or Torian. Haven't seen anyone better. =) GL.

I wasn't talking about Torian. I know I can't romance him. And yes I also know back in day that there was no LBGT options, because I am a returning player from about 5-6 years ago. I rerolled a bounty hunter to relearn the game, and I had heard there was a lgbt option later on in new content though. Still, even if wasn't a case of not wanting to do something to screw it up as a potential. Doesn't change the fact that my character was forced into an unwanted marriage and counter to my choice in game. Or that there seemed to been not very many friendly, non-flirting options at times with dialogue with Mako early on.

And yes I know, lot dialog at least with the older options is cringy as hell lol Even for playing a male character with a female companion.

Edited by OdanBaruq