Don't understand how legacy works

Deconstructer

I made a second character yesterday. My first character I'm up to level 24 or so, and got my second to 11. On my second though, I noticed 2 things.

1. Training to drive a speeder mount can be acquired at level 15, with my first having to be at 25, which I still haven't gotten to yet.

2. The legacy tab opened up on the top.

The way it explains itself in the tab doesn't entirely make sense to me, something about a surname and such. I have heard people say you can get a speeder at level 10 with legacy. I was just curious how the whole legacy system works. I don't understand how it matters if I can unlock it at a lower level anyway since if it still costs 35k to train it regardless, I won't have that kind of cash. My level 24 still only has 40k credits and I didn't get that much until recently. Does the cost go down too? What are some of the other perks of legacy and how does it work in general?

I made a second character yesterday. My first character I'm up to level 24 or so, and got my second to 11. On my second though, I noticed 2 things.

1. Training to drive a speeder mount can be acquired at level 15, with my first having to be at 25, which I still haven't gotten to yet.

2. The legacy tab opened up on the top.

The way it explains itself in the tab doesn't entirely make sense to me, something about a surname and such. I have heard people say you can get a speeder at level 10 with legacy. I was just curious how the whole legacy system works. I don't understand how it matters if I can unlock it at a lower level anyway since if it still costs 35k to train it regardless, I won't have that kind of cash. My level 24 still only has 40k credits and I didn't get that much until recently. Does the cost go down too? What are some of the other perks of legacy and how does it work in general?

In patch 1.5 the legacy is now granted at lvl 10 I think. Also speeders can be trained at lvl 15 instead of 25. Here is a link to the patch notes

The legacy is what links all your characters together. It's a group, a fellowship, a guild, a family, a brotherhood, a mystical gathering of souls... whatever your imagination can think of to explain how and why your characters are linked to eachother.

The name of your legacy (for example "Doe") will be displayed either as a family name (John Doe) or as "John of the Doe legacy", you can choose this from your character sheet (default key "C").

Using the default key "Y" you'll have a window where you'll be able to look at all the perks and unlocks (some are valid for all the characters in your legacy, some only for the currently select character).

The legacy is for players who have many characters, and in the second or third playthrough will have enough money to boost their third or fourth character. If it's your first character, it's unlikely you have enough credits to unlock anything.

The legacy is for players who have many characters, and in the second or third playthrough will have enough money to boost their third or fourth character. If it's your first character, it's unlikely you have enough credits to unlock anything.
Used to be true. Not so much now, as many legacy perks can be unlocked with cartel coins. Some that would cost hundreds of thousands of credits can be unlocked for only a few hundred cartel coins.

Also you will be able to unlock things just by playing which will be available account wide.

There are also unlocks you can buy account wide or just for a character so make sure you are doing what you want. The descriptions of them should be clear if it is for one character or for all your characters. These can usually be determined by the cost. Account wide things are generally much more expensive, IE: Rocket Boots.