Arsenal merc no more playable?

JessieStar

I've started to play Arsenal Mercenary just now, but compared to some other classes it's heat [energy] management is insane. Heat builds up very fast. Heard other people also complaining about that. Seems like arsenal mercs are fored to keep alacrity stat at low percentage (just over 8%).

You have to use rapid shots here and there now.

Compared to IO though, heat management is not too big of a deal for arsenal.

In pvp, the spec is still fine, however for pve, it's dmg got nerfed so hard that it's now rock bottom in dps.

Edited by godsuxx

I've started to play Arsenal Mercenary just now, but compared to some other classes it's heat [energy] management is insane. Heat builds up very fast. Heard other people also complaining about that. Seems like arsenal mercs are fored to keep alacrity stat at low percentage (just over 8%).

LOL you trolling?

Arsenal merc most OP eaziest class/spec ever :D:D:D

You have to use rapid shots here and there now.

Compared to IO though, heat management is not too big of a deal for arsenal.

In pvp, the spec is still fine, however for pve, it's dmg got nerfed so hard that it's now rock bottom in dps.

Actually I find heat management on IO not too bad. Really wish my PT had a heat management as good as IO.

Actually I find heat management on IO not too bad. Really wish my PT had a heat management as good as IO.

If you compare it to Arsenal, it's not exactly up to par with that spec.

Also, dot spreading is a nightmare. Thank god for 5.6, huh?

No, IO heat management IS a nightmare. You make a SINGLE MISTAKE, you either lose ~10% dps or have severe heat issues. It's INSANE! Maybe if DoTspread also renewed DoTs?

But the entire Trooper / BH class is...not in a good state. Resource management wise. Both ACs have to use copious amounts of auto attack(quite unlike other classes). It's not good!

@OP Alacrity won't change a thing. You can go higher than 8%. There are actually 2 thresholds that are worth it (7.15% and 15.39%). The reason for those thresholds are mentionned here:

About heat management, arsenal right now requires some basic attack use, though it is pretty light. If you still use the same rotation as pre 5.3 (or was it 5.4...), then yes you will overheat a lot. You just got to pay attention to what you are doing, and pop a rapid shots every now and then to keep heat under 40 (unless you have a heat vent or TSO ready for use). Also, you should definitely learn IO, as it is a pretty fun spec and it will outperform arsenal in most PVE encounters that last more than a few seconds.

• 2 weeks later...

I daresay it's playable right now. For some reason, the damage has scaled REALLY well with the new augments - probably because the set bonus is bugged. I get stacks of supercharge with heatseekers, which has lowered the amount of rapid shots I've had to do over the course of a parse.

http://parsely.io/parser/view/334220/0

Haven't tested IO on a dummy yet so I'm not sure how it compares.

Edited by Hoppinswtor

I daresay it's playable right now. For some reason, the damage has scaled REALLY well with the new augments - probably because the set bonus is bugged. I get stacks of supercharge with heatseekers, which has lowered the amount of rapid shots I've had to do over the course of a parse.

http://parsely.io/parser/view/334220/0

Haven't tested IO on a dummy yet so I'm not sure how it compares.

The critical rate on blazing bolts/boltstorm seems to be weirdly high at the moment as well. Had around a 65% crit rate on boltstorm on average in HM TfB last night. Doubt it's because I had 6 lucky pulls in a row.. Noticed your parse has around 65% on BB which is well higher than the older arsenal parses.

(Also I haven't installed any of the new augments yet so that can't be a factor for me.)

Edited by Jevaruss

The critical rate on blazing bolts/boltstorm seems to be weirdly high at the moment as well. Had around a 65% crit rate on boltstorm on average in HM TfB last night. Doubt it's because I had 6 lucky pulls in a row.. Noticed your parse has around 65% on BB which is well higher than the older arsenal parses.

(Also I haven't installed any of the new augments yet so that can't be a factor for me.)

yeah that has to be part of the new "ghost" set bonus that was accidentally introduced.

yeah that has to be part of the new "ghost" set bonus that was accidentally introduced.

Is it just me, or does it almost seem like it is every class that was not affected by the double stance bug is now benefiting from this? Merc, sorc, sniper... can't remember if pt was affected or not (since it seems like that is now too)

• 1 month later...
I've started to play Arsenal Mercenary just now, but compared to some other classes it's heat [energy] management is insane. Heat builds up very fast. Heard other people also complaining about that. Seems like arsenal mercs are forced to keep alacrity stat at low percentage (just over 8%).

an vet merc player ( 6 years) i have no idea what u mean heat [energy] management is insane nowadays its a piss take I'm guessing for u its L2P issue doesn't mean this offensive way but it takes time to learn to play any class mercs have one of easiest rotation in game and once u have gear sorted its easily as for alacrity it all depends on play style of the player

Edited by Brutal

Arsenal is competetive in PvP, both ranked and unranked. For PvE, the case is different.

Arsenal is completely viable in all HM/VM-Operations and, of course, everything below of that. You can easily 4-Merc everything. There is no encounter with DPS requirements, that 4 Mercs are unable to reach.

For NiM/MM-Content, the situation is kind of different. There are some fights, where DPS-requirements are similar to Styrak VM. These fights shouln't cause any problems. There are some fights, where different types of mechanics are required. Mercs are offering range, good AoE-Damage, insanely good survivability, easy target switching. In encounters, where these stuff is required/helpful, Mercs viable or even one of the best choices. However, Arsenal is not the best choice in fights, where high sustained DPS are required.

in terms of heat/energy management: It's just a l2p issue. Filler with rapid-shots instead of Tracer Missiles when you are above 20% heat and no energy cooldown is available. (Filler = Tracer, that does not proc Blacing Bolts). Most of the classes/specs have to deal with it. Just imagine AP PT without rapid-shots. That would be insane.

Edited by Exocor