Help with crashes and PC reboots

Florrentius

Hi all,

ive played swtor 3 years ago for 4 years, never had an issue running at max settings.

Hardware is still the same. i tried clean install, repair swtor and clean install graphic drivers.

repair C++ microsoft visual aswell.

..still get issues.. only in operations tho

can anyone look at this file see if the can find something?

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1qiC__kRHZ2jDm7sMTPwjCkG6waXSCX_K/view?usp=sharing

Edited by Florrentius

My experience is that USB-connected audio devices can be problematic for gaming, but that might have been the specific thing I had. Other than that, have you recently gone through and cleaned the dust out of your PC?

A good tool for that is an old toothbrush, one that you aren't going to use as a toothbrush again(1). Make sure it's very dry, and brush all the dust off of fans, heatsinks, etc.

(1) If you think about what's *in* household dust(2), I think you'll understand why I say that.

(2) The *least* bothersome part is probably "dead human skin cells". It goes rapidly downhill from there when you think what might be *living* in the dust.

Have you noticed any pattern at all when it crashes, apart from during an op. Is it during boss fights, or when a lot of stuff is happening, during travelling, etc. Have you tried it on lower settings to see how it performs, and it it happens?

Does it happen in the newer ops, or the older ones?

No idea if any of that makes a difference, but if people know, they might have a better understanding or idea :)

Looking at your printout I noticed 2 programs that were also crashing along with SWToR.exe one is "DipAwayMode.exe which is part of you Asus AI system. The other is wlanext.exe this is a Microsoft system that controls Wireless Systems and Devices....

DipAwayMode has been known to be hijacked by Malware:

If DipAwayMode.exe is located in a subfolder of the user's profile folder, the security rating is 58% dangerous. The file size is 1,225,528 bytes. There is no file information. It can change the behavior of other programs or manipulate other programs. The program has no visible window. The file is a Verisign signed file. The file has a digital signature. It is not a Windows system file. DipAwayMode.exe is able to record keyboard and mouse inputs.

Important: Some malware camouflages itself as DipAwayMode.exe, particularly when located in the C:\Windows or C:\Windows\System32 folder. Therefore, you should check the DipAwayMode.exe process on your PC to see if it is a threat. We recommend Security Task Manager for verifying your computer's security. This was one of the Top Download Picks of The Washington Post and PC World.

Wlanext is:

The genuine wlanext.exe file is a software component of Microsoft Windows by Microsoft. ... Windows Wireless LAN 802.11 Extensibility Framework is an interface for wireless security and connectivity features in Windows.

You need to look to see if you may have a problem with your wireless gear. Try removing it or reinstalling the drivers and see if things change.

Something on your system (other than the OS) has changed from 4 years ago. This change may be the cause of your problems with SWToR. What ever the problem is, it is local to your computer and the subsystems and software you have running on it. Try going into MSCONFIG and disable ALL other systems and see if things improve. Then one by one restart them till you find the culprit.

Another thing is your memory. Since your only seeing crashing when doing OP's. You may be running into a thermal problem with your Memory. You said your system is Water Cooled, I don't know how you have your case vented but heat inside your case can cause Memory Modules to Overheat (just a thought). Or you may have a Module that's going bad, or that only acts up when it gets stressed. Try doing a Memory Test, Microsoft's Memory Test is good.

Also are you getting a BSOD or an Error Screen from a System Crash? Did the system create a MemoryDump.

If you are then go to the Microsoft Store and install "WinDBG Preview" by Microsoft. It will read the Dumpfile and tell you what the error numbers mean and what may be causing it.

May the Force by With You... with Windows you need the Force to make it work.

i have all latest drivers and windos is up to date aswell,

seems to happen randomly, and not constantly.

always with something happening but not always a boss fight or alot of stuff happening...

its frustrating

You could just simply have a random thermal fault. A "thermal fault" is not the same as "overheating". It's a fault that happens when something fails as it warms up. Often this is caused by micro-cracks in a component, that open when it warms up.

Needless to say, they can be very hard to find. You basically have to replace each component one at a time.

Also, I may have forgotten to mention - while cleaning the dust out of your computer, make sure all fans are operating properly. (Some may be designed to only turn on when things warm up.)

Check for dust build up in the power supply, and check that it's fan is running.

Note - if some component has been damaged by overheating, it may continue to fail even after you clean the dust out, etc.

• 2 weeks later...

hi guys,

sorry for the late reply.

so last thing i tried was clean install swtor and clean install nvidia graphics...

dont know why but that helped for like a week or so.

now again i get crashes. once per op...

i have uninstalled the asus program and will if that will work.

i use ethernet and have wifi off, but will see if my wireless headphones can cause this...

Hi all,

ive played swtor 3 years ago for 4 years, never had an issue running at max settings.

Hardware is still the same. i tried clean install, repair swtor and clean install graphic drivers.

repair C++ microsoft visual aswell.

..still get issues.. only in operations tho

can anyone look at this file see if the can find something?

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1qiC__kRHZ2jDm7sMTPwjCkG6waXSCX_K/view?usp=sharing

Hate to say it but maybe your graphics card or something is dying. Last time it was a RAM stick that died on me. Before that it was a graphics card.

Both had similar symptoms- random crashes or lockups and random reboots. Random PC reboots are usually hardware issues.

i played fallen order, pretty high settings without an issue like a month ago

played it for two weeks every night 2-3 hours

This is a different game, it#s more cpu intensive, and I've noticed that on my older laptop , it used to heat up badly, while other games didn't. Even with my newer desktop, you can see it makes the computer work harder...lol

For me it was the same, only one game it was acting up on until it got worse, then all hell broke loose. Random PC reboots is definitely a hardware issue though. It can take months for the dying part to actually die but it will.

A lot of 'newer' PCs have duel core (or more) CPUs which newer games take full advantage of but older games just don't. This makes older games more hardware intense and tend to show hardware issues first.

Jedi Fallen order doesn't require as much and is a single player game. MMOs are an ENTIRELY different beast. At 3.0 Ghz it's on the low side for SWTOR and the game doesn't use more than 2 cores as it is.

However, by itself it's not necessarily the cause for crashes and reboots. That would affect your FPS and might cause the game to stutter but in my view it's more likely to be the resolution you're running (1440p according to your file). I looked it up and it's not recommended for that resolution and so ultra settings on that resolution might cause your graphics card issues. ( Link: https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/geforce-gtx-980.c2621 ). The GTX 980 is an old card by now and it's really best used for 1080p. So I would suggest hooking up a monitor with 1080p and see how that goes.

For 1440p I would recommend upgrading your graphics card to a GTX 1070 Ti because that card was basically made for the 1440p resolution.

Edited by Tsillah

A lot of 'newer' PCs have duel core (or more) CPUs which newer games take full advantage of but older games just don't. This makes older games more hardware intense and tend to show hardware issues first.

Specifically Dual Core was oldstuff five or more years ago. These days you won't find anything with less than four cores, and the newest stuff has six or eight or even more. (To go way far out beyond the realms of the ridiculous, the biggest one I've heard of is the big Threadripper with 64 cores at two threads per core...)

What I found interesting was watching Horizon Zero Dawn fully load my 8-core hyperthreaded (two threads per core) i7 to 100% CPU utilisation...

Specifically Dual Core was oldstuff five or more years ago. These days you won't find anything with less than four cores, and the newest stuff has six or eight or even more. (To go way far out beyond the realms of the ridiculous, the biggest one I've heard of is the big Threadripper with 64 cores at two threads per core...)

What I found interesting was watching Horizon Zero Dawn fully load my 8-core hyperthreaded (two threads per core) i7 to 100% CPU utilisation...

Yeah.. my laptop is quad or 6 only a couple of years old. My desktop - which oddly enough was actually built at the time just as swtor was being released - for swtor - is dual core. It's now dying a slow painful death. Fact is any PC playing swtor for years is due for things to start breaking down :D and swtor is quite intensive on older machines. It also doesn't use all of the hardware capacity of newer (but still old enough to break down) machines properly because the game is dated.

Edited by Suzsi

so i tried doing all of vulkks tricks but to no avail.

And i did some stress tests, for memory, cpu and gpu

All fine..

can someone see anything from this file? i just saved it.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1St-i7q6BBu4u7vaJvPecz7uz7FpL5G48/view?usp=sharing

Try a driver version like 446.14 , just to be sure it is not the driver version your running , noting this version is known to cause blue screen crashes in fortnite for example

Im using nvidia drivers 378 from 2017, when everything was working perfect. Will see how it goes today.

Last night was in ossus operation hm with the guild and the game like froze 4 times In like 15mins.

Did the same op And other sm ops in the afternoon tho without a problem.

Had to drop out of the guild raid.

This might sound like a stupid question, but have you opened up the case and made sure you don’t have any excess dust or foreign matter obstructing air flow.

If Owens suggestion doesn’t fix it, my next step would be to double check your system for heat stress because it sounds like a good possibility from what you describe.

Double check and clean all your dust filters and make sure all your case fans are working properly. Also check and make sure your PSU fan is not obstructed with some dust etc (happens easy on carpet if the PSU is on the bottom of the case). Check both you GPU fans and CPU fan is working properly.

Another thing to consider is the ambient heat in the room. I know the northern hemisphere countries are having some extra warm temps lately and if you have an older system running hot with a little bit of dust, it can heat stress it enough to lock it up.

Anyway, let us know how you go with the driver and see if that fixes it first.

Edited by TrixxieTriss

i have cleaned my pc for dust and temps are okay.

was wondering if star parse was causing a crash maybe?

i do use all the time but maybe when i click raid and raid with other it would cause a crash?

Considering i only have game crashes during ops...

Will keep this in mind...

Edited by Florrentius