They say the consular story is the worst, I disagree

yoomazir

Thanks to the double xp week end I deciced to finally level up my last class to do, a consular.

Due to opinions, I was afraid to suffer a borefest, especially in the beginning with the whole jedi masters been sick, but then... the jedi holocrons, the location of the Act 1 final fight, then the giving of the Barsen'thor title, that cutscene to avoid a certain ship crash, the Emperor's children... that's a far as I went (currenlty doing Belsavis) but even like that I am really enjoying the consular story, hell I'm finding it way better that the Knight and Trooper stories.

In short, Consular class story is GOOD.

Edited by yoomazir

One thing I noticed with some who dislike the Consular storyline is simply the role you play. In almost every other story, you play the hero that everyone knows and are the frontline warrior for the Repubic/Empire. The exceptions are notably Inquisitor and Agent, but that's a story for a different day.

Consular really does take a much more different approach. While you do make a huge impact, arguably one of the largest impacts, in the galaxy- NOBODY KNOWS YOU DID IT.

Nobody, save your contacts and the Jedi Council knows of the afflicted masters. Only the planetary representatives, and again the Concil are aware of your actions as a diplomat in Act 2. In Act 3, so few people are aware of the Children of the Emperor. Even fewer are aware that you are after the First Son.

I will agree that it had it's slow points. Especially early on. Hell, I almost quit my first consular by the time I got to Tatooine. However, I feel if you can make it to Alderaan- or at the very least, Tatooine- you'll be very satisfied later on. It easily became my favorite story.

Edited by Nakkyi

Now that I finished Belsavis class story, I'd like to add this, I really like seeing the consular displaying his Force powers in the cutscenes and the fact that you can speak with the Esh-ka leader in your ship and learning bits of lore is awesome, no other class offered the same kind of interactivity within your ship. Edited by yoomazir

Now that I finished Belsavis class story, I'd like to add this, I really like seeing the consular displaying is Force powers in the cutscenes and the fat that you can speak with the Esh-ka leader in your ship and learning bits of lore is awesome, no other class offered the same kind of interactivity within your ship.

Yup, as someone above stated, the Consular story isn't the problem, it's your character's outlook. In many ways it shares many traits with the Agent story everyone loves. BUT, you aren't the swashbuckling hero or villain. You aren't the superspy. As one of your enemies says about you later on "You're studious," you're a student and later teacher of the force. It's a true Jedi character, but the diplomat warrior monk isn't everyone's cup of tea.

Edited by Master-Nala

I should put in my opinion on the only downside of the story for me. The companions. Honestly, I feel our companions just suck. Just completely and utterly suck.

The only one I actually liked was Qyzen. I seem to notice a lot don't though. However, I do because of the characterizations of my Sage. I get really into the mindset of whatever character I'm playing.

My Sage is heavily devoted to the Jedi Order. However, he has certain..... relations with my Sith Warrior that changed his outlook on life after their first encounter on Nar Shadaa. While he values the Order, he now also appreciates personal glory and strength. As such, he has accepted his role as Herald of the Scorekeeper. He values Qyzen as an ally and friend. As such, they will help each other obtain more points. They are extremely close and admire the strength of the other.

The only other companion I tolerate is Zenith. There's just something to him that I connect with. As such, when I want a change of pace from using my ally, Qyzen, Zenith is the only other one I use.

Theran just annoys the crap out of me. I don't even know why. Iresso is just boring. I don't really identify with him at all which is important to me when it comes to my companions. Nadia is iffy for me. I mean, she is my Padawan and as such, I hold her dear like a child. However, she annoys me almost as much as Theran. Her voice, personality, just all of it rubs me the wrong way.

If we still could, I would shove Theran and Iresso out the airlock and never look back. Honestly, I thought that Attros Finn on Coruscant was going to be our second companion. When he wasn't I was a little upset. I kinda liked him. That, and he's kinda cute lol. But, I digress.

Edited by Nakkyi

So I have finally finished the class story, once again thanks double xp week ends, and I must say, the story was really really good.

The rallying of the Esh-Kha and the Voss, then having them fighting for you on Corellia, confronting the Emperor's Childern and the First Son, that rewarding final cutscene, how can people say the didn't like it?

The consular story is probably on my top 3 favorites, along the Sith Warrior and the Agent.

As for the companions, I haven't learned all their stories yet, with the exception of Qyzen (another good story there), but the complains about them being lackluster is kinda wrong in my opinion, they're cool, for me it's like they have a really strong inner strenghts, they just don't boast it as much as other classes companions.

So yeah, it was a fun ride with the consular, looking foward to properly gear him up, him and his companions now :-)

Edited by yoomazir

I finished the Sith Inquisitor and Sith Warrior story arcs and I found the inquisitor one to be a little on the weird side. Definately recommend it if you enjoy recreational tobacco products.

No, for me the Warrior story the a blast. I am tempted to re-roll just to do it again. I loved heading back to visit that pain in the a(s)s guy who keeps referring to you as "slave" on the starter planet. I hated my teacher and was glad to finally settle that score. Nope, the Warrior line for me was the best.

Looking forward to playing fresh on the Jedi side and experiencing all that.

What people need to know is that it's simply a "to each their own" type of deal here.

What ever story is the best or what ever story is the worst is completely subjective.

Just because some people believe one story to be great and the other to be bad...doesn't mean you will feel the same.

The best thing to do is try it out for yourself. No opinion is fact...it's simply an opinion.

I was bored sick till Nar Shadda, loved it till Balmorra and it became my fav on Balmorra. It's the best crew for me as a female player. Three hot males, and the hottest one in the game too. Can't get better than that... almost. But then again, a canned romance could have spoiled the chemistry anyway. It also the only grown-up story I have seen so far.

Playing Sith Warrior is unpleasant for me. I almost gave up on Balmorra, because I can't cut down those guys and have fun. Just can't, not after the Con story. I would chose Pub Balmorra as a homeworld in a Stronghold set-up (if that will be available).

Smuggler and IA are great, but Consular right now is just... better! Smuggler is a touch juvenile, IA is probably better as a male.

People say that Trooper was boring, but I am catching the unusual parts of the story where what you want to do is not getting you the pats on the back and approvals, you have to take reprimands for the moral choices, and I have not seen it before in a Bio/Obsidian game. So, fingers crossed it keeps in that vein.

I am playing in a tandem with a JK, and it looks like a solid but predictable story of high calling and heroism. Nothing wrong with it.

I did not play either BH or SI long enough to judge.

Edited by DomiSotto

I think the consular story was quite terrible for the most part, only chapter 3 became enjoyable, but it started quite boring. The game could not deliver for me the mystry solving aspects it tries to create at the beginning, the diplomacy aspect could also have been better (that only works during chapter 2).

So more details on what i liked and what I didn't liked in the spoilers:

The Prologue: It starts with hunting some holocrons, and then in continues with more holocrons. I never felt that I actually solving there anything myself (the agent storyline gets that much better done). It feels like one fetch quest after another. Sure, I get a brief glimps on some characters from KOTOR or the Tales of the Jedi comics, but that was ruined alone by the little detail that Nomi was not shown as Nomi Sunrider but as Nomi Da-Boda (why would she use her maiden name again, sure I know there was some legal issues, still that solutions bugs me). So, overall the prologue felt quite repetitive.

Chapter One: Another repetitive storyline. Now instead of a fetch quest I get search and destroy quests. Four jedi master, I cannot talk a single one out of what he is doing, that doesn't help me feel like a diplomat, no I had to fight every single one of them. Beating people into submission where a it was impossible to find a peaceful solution also doesn't make me feel like I am playing a wise Jedi. The worst was then the end of the chapter, when the jedi council recognizes the thread to the whole order, but instead that multiple council members joining me (like in Episode III, when Mace Windu was also not going alone against the Emperor), they send me alone... me the only one who has learned a technique to save other Jedi, dooming the whole order if I would fail. That was the most stupid thing I could imagine the Jedi order doing, and still it happens in the concular storyline, where it is supposed to create a feeling of wise and diplomatic Jedi like Obi-Wan and Yoda were.

Chapter Two: Okay here it start to get better. But, really it couldn't be anyworse that chapter one ended. I like the people on my ship and the quest feel different enough from each other and working for the chancellor feels like my character is setting there a precedent for later similar relations (Anakin & Palpatine). But overall nothing too fancy here.

Chapter Three: This is the good chapter. Sure, the story failed in creating a feeling of being a useful diplomat or a wise Jedi, but at least here it feels like I am a great general (like the jedi during the clone wars, especially Obi-Wan there). Still it is funny, that the Jedi Knight gets to be a General in his story (even though he doesn't get the title anymore in the actuall game, like it was during beta). Too bad that after this chapter my ship feels empty and since we don't get more class story I think the feeling the Consular strory had at its peak (on Corellia) will never return, and that makes me sad again.

I think the consular story was quite terrible for the most part, only chapter 3 became enjoyable, but it started quite boring. The game could not deliver for me the mystry solving aspects it tries to create at the beginning, the diplomacy aspect could also have been better (that only works during chapter 2).

So more details on what i liked and what I didn't liked in the spoilers:

The Prologue: It starts with hunting some holocrons, and then in continues with more holocrons. I never felt that I actually solving there anything myself (the agent storyline gets that much better done). It feels like one fetch quest after another. Sure, I get a brief glimps on some characters from KOTOR or the Tales of the Jedi comics, but that was ruined alone by the little detail that Nomi was not shown as Nomi Sunrider but as Nomi Da-Boda (why would she use her maiden name again, sure I know there was some legal issues, still that solutions bugs me). So, overall the prologue felt quite repetitive.

Chapter One: Another repetitive storyline. Now instead of a fetch quest I get search and destroy quests. Four jedi master, I cannot talk a single one out of what he is doing, that doesn't help me feel like a diplomat, no I had to fight every single one of them. Beating people into submission where a it was impossible to find a peaceful solution also doesn't make me feel like I am playing a wise Jedi. The worst was then the end of the chapter, when the jedi council recognizes the thread to the whole order, but instead that multiple council members joining me (like in Episode III, when Mace Windu was also not going alone against the Emperor), they send me alone... me the only one who has learned a technique to save other Jedi, dooming the whole order if I would fail. That was the most stupid thing I could imagine the Jedi order doing, and still it happens in the concular storyline, where it is supposed to create a feeling of wise and diplomatic Jedi like Obi-Wan and Yoda were.

Chapter Two: Okay here it start to get better. But, really it couldn't be anyworse that chapter one ended. I like the people on my ship and the quest feel different enough from each other and working for the chancellor feels like my character is setting there a precedent for later similar relations (Anakin & Palpatine). But overall nothing too fancy here.

Chapter Three: This is the good chapter. Sure, the story failed in creating a feeling of being a useful diplomat or a wise Jedi, but at least here it feels like I am a great general (like the jedi during the clone wars, especially Obi-Wan there). Still it is funny, that the Jedi Knight gets to be a General in his story (even though he doesn't get the title anymore in the actuall game, like it was during beta). Too bad that after this chapter my ship feels empty and since we don't get more class story I think the feeling the Consular strory had at its peak (on Corellia) will never return, and that makes me sad again.

I don't agree with your descriptions, of course not implying you are not entitled to them. I will be brief.

Prologue: Initiate to the biggest secrets of the force as a consular.

Chapter 1: Using your force knowledge and mastery of it to accomplish a saving task, while investigating and trying to unveil a mystery. The only issue for me was that 5 acts (planets) were too much for the clues that were given at each... as the story is the chap could be better shorter, like 3 planets.

Chapter 2: Diplomat. Make alliances and form an army for the inevitable upcoming war. Chapter 3 hints are given and there is one of the smoothest transitions between 2 and 3.

Chapter 3: Unveil and deal with another deception that threatens both the jedi order as well as the republic. Epic. One of the best chapters I have played from all classes. Regarding your comment about diplomat that was fully in chapter 2.

I think the consular story was awesome. Very star wars like, very fitting with the duties of a consular, and very much realistic as it is within the what a jedi master of that age should be able to achieve. In contrast to the knight story which is plain stupid.

One thing I noticed with some who dislike the Consular storyline is simply the role you play. In almost every other story, you play the hero that everyone knows and are the frontline warrior for the Repubic/Empire. The exceptions are notably Inquisitor and Agent, but that's a story for a different day.

Consular really does take a much more different approach. While you do make a huge impact, arguably one of the largest impacts, in the galaxy- NOBODY KNOWS YOU DID IT.

Nobody, save your contacts and the Jedi Council knows of the afflicted masters. Only the planetary representatives, and again the Concil are aware of your actions as a diplomat in Act 2. In Act 3, so few people are aware of the Children of the Emperor. Even fewer are aware that you are after the First Son.

I will agree that it had it's slow points. Especially early on. Hell, I almost quit my first consular by the time I got to Tatooine. However, I feel if you can make it to Alderaan- or at the very least, Tatooine- you'll be very satisfied later on. It easily became my favorite story.

This is my view also, especially if you see the previous post with the spoiler tag. Also agree about the companions, the consular has some of the most boring ones, although I have different favourites but even my most favourite is nowhere near other companions of other classes.

My favourite is Nadia... I see her as Mara Jade, but starting from good... it would definitely be more interesting if she had started bad *** but without having discovered or trained in the force even if she is powerful enough.

Second best is Tharan, as I am kind of a geek myself.

Iresso is still good. Every jedi should have his trooper sidekick and a squad :).

I couldn't connect with Zenith -too much fundamentalist, or Qyzen -this scorekeeper things mostly annoyed me than finding them interesting plus.

Why can't consular story have a astromech droid, or a jawa, or a sarcastic rebellious rattataki or even a scared calamari?

Why can't consular story have a astromech droid, or a jawa, or a sarcastic rebellious rattataki or even a scared calamari?

A Nautolan instead of Qyzen would have been awesome, and Iresso being a Torguta would have made me actually want to try his romance. But no game is THAT perfect!!! :p

Edited by DomiSotto

I love the consular story, but I do have a few issues with it.

1.) The Light Side consular is a slave to her emotions, to such a degree that she really ought to be earning dark side points for her reckless impulsiveness and heedless need to rescue a kitten from a tree even though the terrorists she's supposed to be finding have begun executing hostages. Seriously, I remember on Balmorra alone several missions with light side choices that actually put many lives at risk for the sake of one. It's really hard to believe you're some gifted Jedi when you lack the forethought to exercise basic battlefield triage.

Lesson? Don't pick light side simply because you want light side points. Some of Bioware's light side/dark side allocation choices are...questionable...and most of those questionable ones wound up in the Consular story.

2.) Dark side consular lacks any kind of cohesiveness. There is no continuity, at all, of any kind, to speak of. The game doesn't acknowledge them at all. The dark side dialogue is mostly okay, on par with other class stories quality-wise, but some of it really feels like it was shoehorned in just because the other classes had dark side choices, too. Like many of the light side choices, some of them are dark side because shut up.

But wait, there's more. As if the dark side dialogue wasn't enough to make you feel like the Consular was the last class story Bioware was working on and didn't have time to fine tune it, the game doesn't acknowledge most of your choices. Lots of class stories are riddled with continuity errors of this type, where your light side or dark side choices don't carry through to affect anything else. But my sith warrior and bounty hunter both got a token "you're different from the rest" at least once in their respective stories. My dark side consular? Not only was there not one single nod to "wow, you're a jerk for a jedi", the class story completely ignored your choices and there were literally zero consequences for those choices. It just made the whole class feel not only unpolished, but unfinished to me.

Lesson? If you want to go dark side consular--don't.

3.) Ultimately the lesson I've learned is that with my third playthrough of the class story, it's best to make rational and pragmatic decisions. This ultimately leads to a light side character, but in a more believable sense. My third consular feels thoughtful, aware of her surroundings, and like she actually thinks before she acts. Can't say the same for my first light side playthrough, and at least my decisions feel like they affect the story.

If I didn't like the overall class story I don't think I could stomach 3 playthroughs. I love the consular. I love being the unsung hero, going around working behind the scenes. I suspect I'll love the agent storyline for the same reason. It's a stark contrast to my sith warrior and bounty hunter, and a refreshing change of pace from the in your face hero of the galaxy thing. I feel like a proper Jedi, a diplomat, competent enough to get the job done and do it discreetly. It's not my favorite story by any means, but I began the consular story with low expectations and found myself pleasantly surprised. But the things I mentioned definitely need some attention from Bioware, and I honestly feel they contribute to the story's unpopularity.

• 4 weeks later...

I didn't mind the prologue and the start of chapter 1, but most of chapter 1 made me feel like an errand boy. I mean don't get me wrong, it makes sense for a good-guy super-powerful-force-user-Jedi like the consular to go around saving masters, but it's repetitive to the point of feeling like errands. Until the end of chapter one it very much feels like you're putting band-aids when you need to take a quicker and more decisive action. Ironically, if I had been going around saving the masters while someone else was actually tracking the source? I would have liked this part of the story better, because it would feel less like "We need YOU, the ONE GUY, to fix ALL of our problems! ALL OF THEM!"

I like being the hero, don't get me wrong, but like I said it just feels so very errand-y and I felt like you only really got lucky at the end of chapter 1 otherwise it woulda just been the same crap over and over again with nobody working out a legitimate solution.

I liked chapters 2 and 3 though. I liked the plot overall better, ESPECIALLY the reveal in chapter 3, that was freaking awesome. But yeah. I didn't feel like an errand boy, I felt like I was tackling problems with legitimate, effective solutions as they came at me.

My thoughts on this debate, and mind you, my sage is the only class I've been able to finish chapter 2 on, so idk what the others are like.

First of all, I feel it only fitting that I introduce my style of playing. I'm a dark side sage, was kinda going for an Palpatine feel with my character, a sith that observes the workings of the order from the inside...a friend of mine plays light side shadow, so I got to see some serious spoilers for the chapter 3 story missions (I was leveling my merc at the time) and the awesome final cutscene.

So, after watching the light side final cutscene, I figured I would get ahead, since I could fulfill my intended role on the Jedi council and reach what I strived for all along. Imagine my surprise when this is what Master Satele told me:

You're devotion to protecting the Order, and your ruthlessness in the field with the Sith, have made us nominate you to become our most valued Sith killer. You'll work alongside the Supreme Chancellor and the Council to eradicate any threats to the Order. (I paraphrased quite a bit, as I don't remember what she says exactly)

So, now I have to go and kill Sith across the galaxy, the one people I was trying to imitate...

But I definitely agree with the posts of the idea that you're decisions don't appear to carry any weight, other than some cosmetic lingo during the final cutscene. Nobody ever once questions why my eyes glow a deep red, or mentions that I have struck down my OWN master in cold blood...all I had to do was get a minor scolding from Syo after I killed each Jedi Master. Then of course the fight at the end of chapter 1...

Beating Vivicar, he told me that he had countless other masters in his grip, and that killing him would kill them all. Of course, the dark side option was to kill him anyways, so I did. The next day, I got a letter from teh Council with all the deceased masters mentioned in it, yet never once did Syo or Satele question me about what happened on that ship...you would think the MASTERS would be a bit wiser and put 2 - & - 2 together...ohh well.

Overall, my thoughts on the Consular storyline are this: very enjoyable, if you like the behind the scenes, gambit playing diplomat who never gets any real thanks for the work they do until the later parts of the story. Immersive, quite easy to get lost in, and overall, a relatively decent story, although with some serious errors in the way things were run by the Council...

• 2 weeks later...

Its been a long time since I did that story, as my consular was my first char (and still is my favorite class), and I started on launch day, completing it in early January I believe. However, I do remember that, even though it started out rather slowly, I did enjoy it a lot.

I wonder whether it was just a lack of experience, but I struggled much more with the "bosses" of the questline (Seer spec) than I did when I leveled my Jedi.

The final fight was tough for me, but it felt very satisfying, and I have to say that I do look forward to replay it once I try the other consular spec soon!

I agree though that for some, it might not feel as satisfying as, say, the JK one, especially if you consider the end of the JK one and the foe you fight there =)

Currently leveling my second JK, then Ill try the Shadow spec and replay the questline

Edited by Therinor

I agree that the story is far from the worst. There are several points posted that I would agree with and even more that I would disagree with. Suffice to say that my Shadow was committed to the destruction of the sith and the preservation of the Republic no matter the cost, and my Sage believed in the Living Force and all that entailed. Given that, my Shadow's DS journey and my Sage's LS journey felt quite natural and fluid. Both were immensely enjoyable.

Now, to the OPs original points, I no longer believe what people say. People told me that the consular story was bad and the trooper was epic. I played both and the trooper was easily the worst story I have played in the game and the one class I really don't want to bother doing the second alignment of. The consular on the other hand was brilliant and was the first story that I actually completed both alignments on.

That said, I agree with others who said that Act 3 was the best. In my opinion, it was the best of the chapter 3 storylines and the one most related to each planet you visited. Other classes almost incidentally visited those planets but the Consular was the only one that went there with a grand purpose that worked parallel to the planetary stories. In my opinion, of course.

Now, to the OPs original points, I no longer believe what people say. People told me that the consular story was bad and the trooper was epic.

Yeah. You know what? I actually never believed to the "people". Knowing that most of them loved the IA or Trooper story (not bad themselves) but it also tells you something about what "people prefer".

Consular was my 1rst char and I really loved the story. it is just a Jedi way, even more than the Knight. Diplomat abut also using "aggressive negotiations", so what's wrong with that?

I understand that in Sage's way it might be a bit...well, plain, but for Shadows... jut amazingly fit and..the VOICE!

(well, I am talking about females, male Consular voice could be better.) all in all one of the best gameplays in SWTOR

• 1 month later...

I only ever played the consular, and didn't finish yet.

I'm not the type of person that tries out different characters, I play one character and stick to them.

it's really a case of interest. If you like relying on wit and being diplomatic then you're a consular. I personally liked saving the masters and stopping the Alderaan Houses from engaging in all out war.

in short it just depends on what you're like, so if the consular storyline doesn't go well with anyone they should say it's not their thing, rather than yelling it stinks.