BW, do you ever plan on addressing DPS Mercs/Commandos PvP-wise?

Dovahbrah

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

from a gunnery commando point of view

fix reactive shield 75% all damage reduction at minimum. almost a must.

give diversion a 4 second stealth, with a talent to burst speed and improve resource generation. I think it would be cool looking to throw up the holo dummies and the toon discapear. Just for the cool factor. may prove to be OP

give the cry grenade the same range as the other grenades. its silly i can't throw it as far ;-) I can't believe this was changed to begin with.

give concussion charge talented a short duration root (similar to sorc/sages) along with reactive shield and cryo gren, would go a long way to surviving smash and assasins.

a insta cast heal similar to sorc/sages advanced medical prob just doesn't cut it

Just a few things off the top of my head that would be helpful, or fun.

Since the devs have pointed out that pillar humping is part of the commando class balance should we be reporting anyone else that is doing it since they are obviously exploiting a commando only ability?

I think so- maybe report the devs for being clueless on top of that.

I guess im a poowater pyro merc than. At best I only do 675k damage, thats usually going against a under geared team that has squishy healers, and I get left completely alone.

In a leveled out team with same gear as me, I can only do about 300k to 400k damage, and that's usually being focused and pressured. I have never seen 770k to 880k from anyone on my server as a merc or mando.

So either we were all doing something wrong on PoF server, or I am calling out BS to the trooper who claims to dish out the same amount of damage as jugs/guards. (You guys remember playing that game BS?)

Anyways, I am starting to notice I do better not trying to kite at all when it comes to 1v1 against melee or PT/VG. Sit there take the punishment and hope you hit harder than he does.

I did get into an hour argument with PT on who would win a duel, a pyro merc or a pyro PT. Even though I broke the fight down ability by ability on my side and his, he still claims I have no clue what I am talking about and I am just making up excuses. I pretty much said its illogical for a merc to duel anyone but another merc in 1v1.

Its like asking someone in a mini van to race someone in a lambo.

Edited by Bluntron

ive hit 800k only a couple of times. the people who claim they do it regularly are full of it. reaching damage numbers like that depends far more on the opposing teams composition than your own abilities.

i will typically have 300-400k damage in an average game. if youre doing that, youre doing fine

From a commando's perspective Bioware, think long and hard about this issue and folks on this thread.I for one DO NOT favor a change.Previous companies have gone this route before.Any tinkering to current commando builds WILL make us over powered.We arent OP right now and thats the way this commando likes it.

Many are speaking from the perspective of beating someone one on one in pvp.They dont understand the class or what it is meant to do.I knew from the beginning its a support class meant to be played with friends and it suites that role extremely well.

I cannot comment on Mercs yet but that will be my next project 6 months from now.Id simply advise to play the commando as it is currently.Internal testing or on live servers to actually get a good grip on how it is being played.

As one year approaches , i have no real sour grapes about this game.Any issues i do have ,your tech support hears about it, where those issues belong.Keep at it Bioware and strive to be one of the better gaming companies in an increasingly crowded field.

From a commando's perspective Bioware, think long and hard about this issue and folks on this thread.I for one DO NOT favor a change.Previous companies have gone this route before.Any tinkering to current commando builds WILL make us over powered.We arent OP right now and thats the way this commando likes it.

Many are speaking from the perspective of beating someone one on one in pvp.They dont understand the class or what it is meant to do.I knew from the beginning its a support class meant to be played with friends and it suites that role extremely well.

I cannot comment on Mercs yet but that will be my next project 6 months from now.Id simply advise to play the commando as it is currently.Internal testing or on live servers to actually get a good grip on how it is being played.

As one year approaches , i have no real sour grapes about this game.Any issues i do have ,your tech support hears about it, where those issues belong.Keep at it Bioware and strive to be one of the better gaming companies in an increasingly crowded field.

lolwut

no crap we arent overpowered. we are the MOST UNDERPOWERED class in the game.

as much as i enjoy beating bad maras on my gimped class, i would like to be able to compete in endgame pvp without having to re-roll a whole new toon.

Merc/Commando is a support class? WHAT? do we have any group buffs? we have heals, and our healing spec is semi-viable. but a DPS spec as SUPPORT? whatever youre smoking, pass it down man!

The majority of people in this thread are talking about GROUP PERFORMANCE. which is where all of Merc/Commando weaknesses are able to be excessively exploited.

Mercs = Commandos. if you've played one, youve played the other. theyre mirrored.

i like how you say we all don't understand how the class. look in the mirror pal

inb4 im banned for being mean or something ridiculous

The only warzone that implies "roles" I would assume is Huttball, If that is the case than merc/mando arsenal/gunnery (snipers do a better job) hold down mid, while pyrotech/assualt do a swap offensive hold mid, defensive keep the BC slowed and burn them.

I guess in Voidstar, its to keep players slowed in the tunnels between doors and nodes. Otherwise nuke as usual.

Any other wz its nuke as usual, with the exception of Civil war, you go out and slow/cc (as pyro/assault) during the cap process.

if I am wrong then....well crap. I suck.

Pretty much the only role and support we offer.

Edited by Bluntron

I have a question though that I am curious about, what augments are you guys using?

Aim/Endurance, Expertise/Power, or Endurance/Power?

Right now I have 1390 expertise, I feel like I need to get as MUCH as possible to reduce the damage done to me despite the lack of damage increase.

Pretty much just reading up some websites about pyrotech merc. So I was just wondering.

Edited by Bluntron

From a commando's perspective Bioware, think long and hard about this issue and folks on this thread.I for one DO NOT favor a change.Previous companies have gone this route before.Any tinkering to current commando builds WILL make us over powered.We arent OP right now and thats the way this commando likes it...I cannot comment on Mercs yet but that will be my next project

Yeah, right. Approach the top ranked team on your server and ask if you can join them with your Commando dps. They will laugh you out of the room.

As for Merc, it is basically the same as Commando. Slightly worse because they are saddled with a low accuracy offhand weapon, while the Commando can go straight to stacking Power.

I have a question though that I am curious about, what augments are you guys using?

Right now I have 1390 expertise, I feel like I need to get as MUCH as possible to reduce the damage done to me despite the lack of damage increase.

Pretty much just reading up some websites about pyrotech merc. So I was just wondering.

For a DPS, 1200 expertise is around you want. Then go for main stat for augs. And for gear itemization, power/surge

i use Reflex (i think thats what theyre called) augments, for +Aim and +End.

I prefer Aim over crit or power exclusively, as Aim adds to both at only a slightly decreased rate than the individual stats themselves

For a DPS, 1200 expertise is around you want. Then go for main stat for augs. And for gear itemization, power/surge

Yes I get that, but Im looking at my survival, I can do more dps the longer I am live

I know that going over 1200 expertise diminishes your damage done from expertise but the damage taken still gets reduced the more expertise you have.....and since I am squishier than a wet sock, I feel like I need as much expertise as possible.

Right now i have 20% damage reduced in pvp.

http://www.noxxic.com/swtor/pvp/bounty-hunter/mercenary/pyrotech

this is the site I was looking at. Which is why I was asking. Kind of curious about the spec this guy uses too.

Edited by Bluntron

Yes I get that, but Im looking at my survival, I can do more dps the longer I am live

I know that going over 1200 expertise diminishes your damage done from expertise but the damage taken still gets reduced the more expertise you have.....and since I am squishier than a wet sock, I feel like I need as much expertise as possible.

Right now i have 20% damage reduced in pvp.

http://www.noxxic.com/swtor/pvp/bounty-hunter/mercenary/pyrotech

this is the site I was looking at. Which is why I was asking. Kind of curious about the spec this guy uses too.

the damage taken/damage reduced from Expertise cancel out. even tho they are not the same numbers, b/c of the way damage is calculated they are equal.

the damage taken/damage reduced from Expertise cancel out. even tho they are not the same numbers, b/c of the way damage is calculated they are equal.

What are you trying to say?

that it doesn't matter to have over 1200 to reduce the damage?

Edited by Bluntron

What are you trying to say?

that it doesn't matter to have over 1200 to reduce the damage?

well having over 1200 expertise *does* increase your potential PvP damage reduction.

but what I was saying was that if both you and your opponent have 1200 expertise, the offensive and defensive bonuses cancel themselves out.

so even tho the PvP Damage Bonus % is always a little higher than PvP Damage Reduction, when equal Expertise players fight each other they are Expertise bonus neutral

I guess im a poowater pyro merc than. At best I only do 675k damage, thats usually going against a under geared team that has squishy healers, and I get left completely alone.

In a leveled out team with same gear as me, I can only do about 300k to 400k damage, and that's usually being focused and pressured. I have never seen 770k to 880k from anyone on my server as a merc or mando.

So either we were all doing something wrong on PoF server, or I am calling out BS to the trooper who claims to dish out the same amount of damage as jugs/guards. (You guys remember playing that game BS?)

Anyways, I am starting to notice I do better not trying to kite at all when it comes to 1v1 against melee or PT/VG. Sit there take the punishment and hope you hit harder than he does.

I did get into an hour argument with PT on who would win a duel, a pyro merc or a pyro PT. Even though I broke the fight down ability by ability on my side and his, he still claims I have no clue what I am talking about and I am just making up excuses. I pretty much said its illogical for a merc to duel anyone but another merc in 1v1.

Its like asking someone in a mini van to race someone in a lambo.

Well I was saying if you're doing half the damage of non-smash jugs while being left to free cast you're doing it wrong. Doing half of smash jugs is a different story, Derp Smash kinda cheats. The rest of the classes though you should be roughly on par damage wise if you're being left alone to free cast. Course that's a pretty big if, and the difference in damage between being left to free cast and being under ANY kind of pressure whatsoever is, well it's kinda what this entire thread is really about.

Hey cool, thanks for not bothering to really read the thread. Not being OP is fine. My shadow isn't OP. Gunslingers and Snipers aren't OP. What we are is broken. I dunno what you mean by support, but when it comes to a ranged turret with utility, Gunslingers/Snipers beat us hands down, and with the advent of bubble stuns Sage healers have pulled ahead noticeably of Commando healers as well (helps that they have a truly viable hybrid spec). Anyway, thanks for the vague meaningless generalities backed up by absolutely nothing.

Aim/Endurance, though I think Defense/Power has some merit to it as well in PVP under certain circumstances. Honestly though you're going to fold like a cheap card table under pressure anyway. Best to develop that pillar humping.

Hello, i play a mercenary and i want to be as viable as a marauder/jug or assassin when i spec for dps or i try to get into a ranked wz team.

Dear BW, why is this not a fair request?

Lately i have done a few normal warzones with a few people in my guild who use rage maras/jugs and they normaly out damage me by several hundred thousands worth of damage. This could be explained by "They are better then me" or "They outgear me" etc. But we all know thats not the issue, sure i could perhaps improve my gameplay but in the end, no matter what i do or how many perfect Death from Above etc that i drop on the other team im still way way waaay behind these monster pvp classes.

This is not news to anyone playing this game and yet for several months we (mercs/commandos) have been nigh on useless in any warzone we enter. Had i played one of these favoured superclasses i would do alot better, but instead im limited by what BW deems fair.

Countless threads have been done on this subject and so far all we have been replied with is that our waddle waddle speed pillarhumping isnt quite enough. Now i really want some answers, why cant i be allowed to perform on the same level as the other classes?

PvE be damned, i want to be a viable dps/heal option for rated warzones!

Yes im whining, but we all know its justified ;)