Augmenting something shouldn't bind it to us.

Individual

It may be a mild convenience and let you try to compete in a tight market, but the idea is of minor significance at best.

In this game, you don't have a lot of competition for crafted leveling gear because most people aren't interested in going through the pain to learn the schematics. Therefore, the need to differentiate yourself from the competition in that way doesn't really exist.

Also, in my experience, people like to make their own decisions about stuff like this anyway. In WOW, selling enchanted gear never sold more than the unenchanted gear + the market rate of the enchant. In practice, you are talking about a minor corner case that doesn't really matter much outside of augmenting gear to send to an alt, then finding out you made an oops and now have garbage in your inventory.

Er... that is exactly the point of making them bind on augmentation.

? - Why?

If I make a piece of gear for someone and want an augment slot on it, I have to send them the kit and the piece of gear which gives the same result as adding the slot and then sending it. If someone wants to buy an augmented item of gear on the GTN they have to buy the gear and the kit and add the slot themselves. Same result just a bit of a run around. If I crit craft the same item and it has a slot, it is BOE. I will sell that crit crafted gear for the same price as the gear without a slot plus an augment kit plus cost to add the slot, so no difference there.

So what is the point and what does it do? The only thing I have been able to discover is that it annoys crafters who are not aware of this aspect of crafting the first time they try it and find that they have tossed 100K+ down the tube for a piece of slotted gear that they can't use themselves and can't sell.

If there is a purpose, benefit, or goal accomplished by having gear that one add's a slot to become BOP, let me know because I can't see it and have wondered why the powers that be at BW felt that was necessary.

In this game, you don't have a lot of competition for crafted leveling gear because most people aren't interested in going through the pain to learn the schematics. Therefore, the need to differentiate yourself from the competition in that way doesn't really exist.

Boy, I am in a mood this morning. If anyone is making good money selling gear, more power to them. Let me know what you are selling and how much it sells for. My experience is that thare are pages and pages of gear at all levels and colors and that listings sell slowly and for not much profit. I have every crafting skill at 400 except armormech which is at 390 now and a good share of the craftable items at purple. I don't bother crafting for sale and pretty much trade in mats.

As far as the need to differentiate onesself, I am not sure that I agree with you but if there is no need why have the aspect of an item BOP when there is no need for it in the first place?

• 1 year later...
Agreed, if i have a crafting alt the chances are that it has the most cash, ergo i buy an augment kit and augment it then mail it to my alt.

Augmenting is not equiping so why should it bind!

Although this thread is 2 yrs old... I can sympathize w/ your feeling it needs to be revived. However, as a crafter of gear you will automatically get an Augmented item w/ a CRIT. This item is not bound to you & can be sold. As such there is NO reason to want to augment a non-crit crafted item unless you have $ to waste. My Experience is an alt w/ +5 crit crafting stat & max affection will turn out Augmented items with enough regularity (NOTE: RGN results may vary :rolleyes:) to remove the above need to need to augment manually.