Ex Post Facto Guild Bans?

MorseGod

Can a person be banned from a guild after leaving the guild? There are some cases where people quit the guild on bad terms and the GM may want to ensure that player never gets back in to cause trouble.

Normally, guild bans are a simple matter of right-clicking on the roster. There also seems to be an add button in the ban interface, but I'm not sure if this works for players that have already left the guild, and I also think it's cumbersome to expect people to type in all the special characters* people use in their names.

If you are a GM with experience in this area, please let me know if players can indeed be banned after leaving the guild.

*For the love of God and all that is holy, please get rid of special characters in names. It causes so many problems with communication and other interface elements.

You can ban people outside guild if you know the character name. They have to be logged in on the character you are banning.

You can also ban them on the opposite faction e.g. they are logged in on Imp side with "Merovejec Troll" then you can use that name in the ban dialog with your Imp guild and your Rep guild.

If they have accented characters in their name then you can still ban them. In the confirmation box it will show gibberish for the accented letters but once you confirm it then the correct name will be displayed.

*For the love of God and all that is holy, please get rid of special characters in names. It causes so many problems with communication and other interface elements.

Are you talking about accented letters when you say "special characters"? They aren't "special". They are *ordinary" in languages like French and German (two official languages supported by SWTOR).

Heck, on my keyboard I can type é è ç à ù with single keystrokes. êîâôûäëïöü are double keystrokes.

Are you talking about accented letters when you say "special characters"? They aren't "special". They are *ordinary" in languages like French and German (two official languages supported by SWTOR).

Heck, on my keyboard I can type é è ç à ù with single keystrokes. êîâôûäëïöü are double keystrokes.

Fair point for foreign servers, but on US servers there should be no characters allowed that aren't keys on a standard English keyboard. I'd wager that most of us have to use Alt codes to input those characters, assuming we can even decipher the font and figure out exactly which characters to use.

People using these characters are explicitly attempting to avoid game mechanics that require name inputs. I'm fine with people wanting to avoid being whispered, but no one should be dodging guild bans with wacky characters. Even the game doesn't recognize these characters when I try to right-click someone in my guild to whisper them rather than put things on blast in guild chat.

Edited by MorseGod

People using these characters are explicitly attempting to avoid game mechanics that require name inputs. I'm fine with people wanting to avoid being whispered, but no one should be dodging guild bans with wacky characters. Even the game doesn't recognize these characters when I try to right-click someone in my guild to whisper them rather than put things on blast in guild chat.
I'm willing to bet the vast majority of people using "alt" characters do so to try and get an alternative version of a name that is already taken, not attempting to evade conversations or game mechanics.

So you're really advocating having the bugs around this fixed, right?

So you're really advocating having the bugs around this fixed, right?

The only thing that needs to be done is prohibit these characters in naming, then force rename anyone that already has them.

(No, I don't care that people who really love their variation of Anakin will have to rename.)

The only thing that needs to be done is prohibit these characters in naming, then force rename anyone that already has them.

(No, I don't care that people who really love their variation of Anakin will have to rename.)

And when people who's native language regularly makes use of these characters complains of discrimination, what then?

And when people who's native language regularly makes use of these characters complains of discrimination, what then?

You're making an argument from the marginal case, which is never particularly effective. The answer to such concerns is right under your nose. Go through these very forums (the English ones) and see how many folks are regularly using accents, umlauts, dipthongs, and other wingdings.

Want to leave the characters on the French and German servers? Cool. They shouldn't be on the English servers.

You're making an argument from the marginal case, which is never particularly effective. The answer to such concerns is right under your nose. Go through these very forums (the English ones) and see how many folks are regularly using accents, umlauts, dipthongs, and other wingdings.

Want to leave the characters on the French and German servers? Cool. They shouldn't be on the English servers.

This feels like a very arbitrary restriction.

I am very against retroactively taking names from players that they have already potentially built characters around, particularly considering the characters do have a legitimate use and many can be found even within native English words.

. . . particularly considering the characters do have a legitimate use and many can be found even within native English words.

I'm sorry, but I can't concede to your "legitimate use" argument without a pretty substantial list of English words used in common parlance that require these accents.

In the 2.5 years I've been playing, I've never once seen any general chat that requires the use of these accents to be understood and only extremely rarely seen them for the sake of technically correct spelling. This tends to weigh against your implication that they are some integral necessity even on an English server.

I'm willing to bet the vast majority of people using "alt" characters do so to try and get an alternative version of a name that is already taken, not attempting to evade conversations or game mechanics.

It's the only reason I use them, the alt codes don't stop you getitng whispers or spam mail :(

Also, sometimes if the double name has an a in it, it won't accept, so you have to use the alt.

Edited by DarkTergon

It's the only reason I use them, the alt codes don't stop you getitng whispers or spam mail :(

Also, sometimes if the double name has an a in it, it won't accept, so you have to use the alt.

It won't stop whispers if people happen to have a cheat sheet of alt codes to type in or if they can click your name in the chat box. If, however, someone needs to get in touch with you by right-clicking another interface element, the codes won't copy into the chat correctly.

And that's just whispering. The principal issue of this thread is setting guild bans after someone does a grab and dash from the guild bank or leaves on such bad terms that you don't ever want them back. You've got to manually put the name in at that point, and again, I don't keep a cheat sheet full of alt codes sitting at my desk, and sometimes I can't even recognize exactly what characters are being used.

That's because the forums don't have the same naming conditions as the game. People also don't have 1 - 199 other forum accounts to name which limits the amount of unique names which is why people use the alt codes in the first place. And it's not English servers. It's North America which includes French speaking Canada and Spanish speaking Mexico. So before you go all keyboard Nazi, realize it's not about you.

That's because the forums don't have the same naming conditions as the game. People also don't have 1 - 199 other forum accounts to name which limits the amount of unique names which is why people use the alt codes in the first place. And it's not English servers. It's North America which includes French speaking Canada and Spanish speaking Mexico. So before you go all keyboard Nazi, realize it's not about you.

I hate to be the one to point this out, but check your login screen. Servers have a language listed, not just a geographic region.

As for conversation on the forums, the person making the argument said those characters are common in English, so it stands to reason they'd show up in the posts, not necessarily the usernames. The fact that they don't undermines the "they're English characters, too" argument.

I like your outrage, though. Seems odd that you direct it at something as benign as people making the case for their own personal preferences, which is obviously what everyone does when making suggestions for changes. Obviously, I'm not lobbying for anyone else's preferences because I can't read their minde.

What's really strange to me is that a tiny handful of people have latched on to a side note from the original post and felt the need to really white knight pretty hard over it. I presume the ones vehemently defending these characters remaining on the English servers are the ones who have 50 alts that all use alt codes in their names. Most other folks are probably agnostic on the issue.

I hate to be the one to point this out, but check your login screen. Servers have a language listed, not just a geographic region.

As for conversation on the forums, the person making the argument said those characters are common in English, so it stands to reason they'd show up in the posts, not necessarily the usernames. The fact that they don't undermines the "they're English characters, too" argument.

I like your outrage, though. Seems odd that you direct it at something as benign as people making the case for their own personal preferences, which is obviously what everyone does when making suggestions for changes. Obviously, I'm not lobbying for anyone else's preferences because I can't read their minde.

What's really strange to me is that a tiny handful of people have latched on to a side note from the original post and felt the need to really white knight pretty hard over it. I presume the ones vehemently defending these characters remaining on the English servers are the ones who have 50 alts that all use alt codes in their names. Most other folks are probably agnostic on the issue.

Does it really matter if its NA English? No, because there is no NA Spanish or NA French servers. So the point is moot. Which is the point I was trying to make. It has nothing to do with the spoken language. People use those alt codes because so many names are taken already. It doesn't affect anything but your ability to ignore and ban people anyway. Sorry but your need to be an authoritarian doesn't necessitate the need for anyone to lose their names.

Edited by kodrac

Does it really matter if its NA English? No, because there is no NA Spanish or NA French servers. So the point is moot. Which is the point I was trying to make. It has nothing to do with the spoken language. People use those alt codes because so many names are taken already. It doesn't affect anything but your ability to ignore and ban people anyway. Sorry but your need to be an authoritarian doesn't necessitate the need for anyone to lose their names.

So, just to be clear:

The argument you made isn't the real argument you wanted to make because

1) it's clearly refuted directly by the information on the server selection screen, and

2) you really just wanted to tell me how much I suck for thinking that the ability to conveniently use interface elements effectively is more important to the quality of the game experience than character names.

Methinks you may not be making your case in good faith.

So, just to be clear:

The argument you made isn't the real argument you wanted to make because

1) it's clearly refuted directly by the information on the server selection screen, and

2) you really just wanted to tell me how much I suck for thinking that the ability to conveniently use interface elements effectively is more important to the quality of the game experience than character names.

Methinks you may not be making your case in good faith.

Ok let ,me try to make this easier for you. Maybe I'm not coherent enough today. What I'm arguing against is your desire to force people to rename their characters.

The language doesn't matter because it's not the reason people use the characters. I brought up NA to show other languages use those servers regardless of the point you were making about the forums.

You want to restrict the naming convention and force renames on people. Sorry, but no. That's being a name Nazi. No one should be forced into arbitrary restrictions just to make it easier for you to ban a few people.

And that's just whispering. The principal issue of this thread is setting guild bans after someone does a grab and dash from the guild bank or leaves on such bad terms that you don't ever want them back. You've got to manually put the name in at that point, and again, I don't keep a cheat sheet full of alt codes sitting at my desk, and sometimes I can't even recognize exactly what characters are being used.

All you need to do is google alt letters, save the page, and then you can copy and paste the letters over. As for not being able to see some chars properly, can't help there as I've never had that problem, it could be settings, monitors, eyesight, or just bad luck that you've encountered something that I haven't. The point is, you want to ban something that a lot of people use, just cause it makes your job as guild leader a little harder

I'm sorry, but I can't concede to your "legitimate use" argument without a pretty substantial list of English words used in common parlance that require these accents.
Interesting, so it's not enough that they are used in the English language, they must be found in proper frequency to satisfy your highly subjective opinion on how often they should be found to be "legitimate"?

I like the double modifier you left for yourself too, the list must be substantial, and all the words on it must be used in "common parlance". Arbitrary upon arbitrary. Many of the characters can be found in English, so the idea that they just don't belong on and English server is silly, and a lot of players utilize the feature to enhance their enjoyment of the game.

I'd rather not deny people a feature they clearly enjoy using due to one person's (and you are the only person I've ever seen requesting them to be removed entirely) subjective stance on what is legitimate.

The far superior solution would appear to be just fixing whatever issues may surround being able to interact with them properly, as they will certainly be in use in all of the alternative language servers that use the characters constantly. Unless the features you say aren't working properly just aren't needed in other languages... for reasons?

In the 2.5 years I've been playing, I've never once seen any general chat that requires the use of these accents to be understood and only extremely rarely seen them for the sake of technically correct spelling. This tends to weigh against your implication that they are some integral necessity even on an English server.
I noticed you accusing someone else of not stating their case in good faith, ironic as you have willfully misrepresented what I claimed here.

I never said they were "integrally necessary" on an English server. I said many accented characters can be found in the English language, and thus are not out of place on and English server.

OP, your argument is passé. You should toss it into a blender and hit frappé. I wouldn't even touch is with a soupçon of jalapeño in a piñata at my sister's quinceañera. Maybe you could write an exposé about how American's are too lazy to appropriately put accents in the words they borrow from other languages. You could put that on your résumé. Then you could enjoy your smugness with a soufflé and a glass of rosé. To say that you are naïve about accents would be rather à propos. Perhaps if you were more learnèd on such subjects you would know the difference between lēad and lĕad. I could go on but instead I'm going to go watch some animé while enjoying a latté.

OP, your argument is passé. You should toss it into a blender and hit frappé. I wouldn't even touch is with a soupçon of jalapeño in a piñata at my sister's quinceañera. Maybe you could write an exposé about how American's are too lazy to appropriately put accents in the words they borrow from other languages. You could put that on your résumé. Then you could enjoy your smugness with a soufflé and a glass of rosé. To say that you are naïve about accents would be rather à propos. Perhaps if you were more learnèd on such subjects you would know the difference between lēad and lĕad. I could go on but instead I'm going to go watch some animé while enjoying a latté.

:eek: Savage...10/10

Nope. Not happening & won't support it.

Alt codes are what makes my names unique in this game. I use them on quite a few characters.

You're being very much like a dictator over something that is very trivial.

The principal issue of this thread is setting guild bans after someone does a grab and dash from the guild bank or leaves on such bad terms that you don't ever want them back.

Honestly, therein lies your problem. Set ranks where they can't steal & jet.

If it's extremely expensive stuff don't even give your officers rank. Make one other person you trust "co-gm" and have a bank tab only you & them can access. Limit fund removal to a certain limit on officer too.

YOU are the one who can set these permissions up to stop things like that happening.

While it is a game & just pixels. There are jerks around who will do what they want because that's just how they are.

You've got to manually put the name in at that point, and again, I don't keep a cheat sheet full of alt codes sitting at my desk, and sometimes I can't even recognize exactly what characters are being used.

https://www.alt-codes.net/

Bookmark that page. Alt+Tab to your browser & there you go. It's that easy. (Or if you have a printer, just print it off & set it near your desk.)

There are things you can do to solve this as this is NOT something BW will remove from game.

TL;DR:

It's a game mate, lighten up.

I understand bad things happen in the game. But step back, breathe & remember it's just pixels.

10/10 spot on!