Am I the only one having troubles with the Mysterious Wheel of Three Options?

DomiSotto

I am having a hard time interpreting what the character will say from the wheel! One of the recent mishaps (and they are common):

The Wheel: I am not falling asleep when viewing this holorecord

Smuggler picks that hoping for the “I really, really, really FEEL for the character on the holo!” (‘cause she has breasts and we have Riggs InParty)

Smuggler actually says something like: I see VIOLENCE COMING!!!! WEEEE!!!!

Riggs: Oi! She had BREASTS, Captain, BREASTS! (AP -1)

Me, the Frustrated Player: I know, she had breasts, Riggs, I am trying, damn it!!!!

I am also having troubles distinguishing between the BioWARE writer having a fit of giggles while writing the short form, and the Character translating it into a humorous option (actually they come out as dead serious and creepy).

Makes me miss good old days when you saw what you were about to commit to!

Edited by DomiSotto

Yes, it is a flaw with the short form options. There's a hilarious youtube clip (I don't have the link on hand) that mocks how your choices are tough to predict.

On the plus side, you can hit Escape at any time during a conversation and then just redo it. So if your character is saying or doing something you didn't expect, just cancel out and pick something else.

Yay! It's just my husband somehow managed to screw one of his characters from the Advanced Class options by not finishing conversation with the Guy on the fleet that sends you to see the Advanced trainer. Good 12 levels lost.... oh, well. That character is history.

Yay! It's just my husband somehow managed to screw one of his characters from the Advanced Class options by not finishing conversation with the Guy on the fleet that sends you to see the Advanced trainer. Good 12 levels lost.... oh, well. That character is history.

I think that there's usually an extra advanced class trainer on Dromund Kaas/ Coruscant for players that miss it on fleet. I know that there was an extra bounty hunter trainer in the Mandalorian enclave. I've never used them but assumed that's what they're there for.

Can you explain what that means? He can't talk to the guy again, or to the specific NPCs that let you choose the advanced class? I've never heard of any issue that makes you unable to pick an AC.

The Wheel: I am not falling asleep when viewing this holorecord

Smuggler picks that hoping for the “I really, really, really FEEL for the character on the holo!” (‘cause she has breasts and we have Riggs InParty)

Smuggler actually says something like: I see VIOLENCE COMING!!!! WEEEE!!!!

Riggs: Oi! She had BREASTS, Captain, BREASTS! (AP -1)

Me, the Frustrated Player: I know, she had breasts, Riggs, I am trying, damn it!!!!

LOL! Sounds like you know Corso quite well! :D

Edited by Callaron

I think that there's usually an extra advanced class trainer on Dromund Kaas/ Coruscant for players that miss it on fleet. I know that there was an extra bounty hunter trainer in the Mandalorian enclave. I've never used them but assumed that's what they're there for.

Originally in beta, that's where you first got to choose your Advanced Class. They added it to the fleet just before launch because a lot of players didn't see the point in heading all the way to your capital planet just to finally choose your AC at around level 12-13 when the idea was being able to choose it at level 10.

I usually don't have a problem with it; they're concise enough that you can predict fairly well what your character is going to say, usually. But I have had some unfortunate mishaps. Like once when I thought I was telling Elara I agreed that we should try to make our romance work and I said, "You're right, this probably won't work out." :eek:

Luckily, I ESC-ed that conversation and started over. But yeah, it has happened more than a few times. Usually, it's rather funny, though. If you don't mind the occasional -1 with your summoned companion. :p

Can you explain what that means? He can't talk to the guy again, or to the specific NPCs that let you choose the advanced class? I've never heard of any issue that makes you unable to pick an AC.

Basically, what has happened, my husband's character could not talk to either the Guy Who Sends, nor the Advanced Trainer nor the Regular Trainer. I think what he did, was close the dialogue somehow and went into Codex or something to study the Advanced Class Options. I was thinking to fill out the ticket for the issue, but he hated the character anyway, so just deleted him.

LOL! Sounds like you know Corso quite well!

He's an easy mark... if you can guess which option is Yes, I will help you, oh Female Questgiver! and the 'You look real HURT! Are you OKAY?' Once in a while he likes bravado, but once in a while... nope, not really. But can't miss a pair of... yeah, that's Riggs.

Edited by DomiSotto

I'm so glad I'm not the only one who experiences this problem and is annoyed by it. It utterly destroys the roleplaying experience when you have to Esc ten times and redo the options to get the one that is right for your character. Anyone saying that they're easy to predict clearly doesn't care enough about the connections between what is indicated and what is actually said because there is very rarely any correlation.

What would be a far better method would be to have several static options for every choice. Something along the lines of "Sarcastic", "Violent", "Diplomatic", etc. What is actually said would be a surprise but at the very least and at its most basic you would have a clear idea of the outcome.

Looking forward to the U-Tube vid!

I agree that a mood marker on an option, as simple as Joke/Serious would have helped. Interestingly, even the voice actors seem to interpret some of those lines as jokes, when they are suppose to be serious. My biggest mishap in that entry was:

Risha: About these famous old-timers, one o' them gained fame and fortune by destroying a planet.

Wheel of Mystery: Yeah, my hero!

Me: Wow, a cocky Smuggler response... FINALLY!

The Smuggler on the screen (WITH a smidgen of a sarcastic tone): Oh, how I wish I could destroy a planet!

Me: Ooh.

Riggs: By the way, Captain, I was listening! You have BREASTS an' all, but I'm taking that genocidal fantasy real serious! (AP -38)

Me (falls back onto the default off-screen to Riggs): Seriously, Riggs,seriously?!

For the record, I am fine with Riggs' digital libido, I just object when I can't pander to it effectively.

Edited by DomiSotto