Star Wars rings? Brilliant or Too Nerdy?

Tatile

They are a bit busy for my tastes, but the workmanship looks amazing; the same women does some incredible steampunk stuff, too.

SW themed, well-made jewelry is a fine thing though. A great conversation starter which only works on the Right Sort of People (Fellow Geeks),

I personally would not find jewelry themed with Star Wars logos but then again that is just me however, I think you would be nice for those who do collect and where types of jewelry seeing how many of the hard-core fans even a weekend wanderers go to comic con dressed up As their favorite characters or classes. It would be a easy sell for any merchant.

They do look nice but it does seem a little silly to me personally.

It reminds me of something that happened when the LOTR movies were exploding everywhere with popularity. Some developer in Oregon bought up a bunch of land and started to build a bunch of houses that looked like hobbit homes (albeit scaled for big people). The development was even called "The Shire"

When the novelty wears off ...

These are boss.

http://static03.mediaite.com/themarysue/uploads/gallery/fancy-star-wars-rings/swankmetal6.jpg

I'm gonna talk to the wife.

Edit:

The Star Wars rings start around $325 but can reach over $1,000.

Nevermind. They aren't $1000 cool.

Edited by TheBBP

They look neat but I'd never wear them.

Too inexpensive. Mine represent expenditures in the $20k + range ;)

- Arcada

Thank you for bestowing a moment of your time on us m'lord.

Edited by TheBBP

These are boss.

I'm gonna talk to the wife.

Edit:

Nevermind. They aren't $1000 cool.

Find a local jewellery maker and use the picture as inspiration :) Silver's fairly cheap and if you've got some lying around they can also melt it and use it.

Edited by Tatile

they are pretty great and they cost this much money because equipment to make them is expensive, not to mention materials, learning to use design programs, time it takes to create a CAD model, etc.

that said, as a classicaly trained jeweler myself, - the reason worksmanship is this precise is because its not done by hand. its done mechanically through a computerized process, with only minor human hand intervention in manufacturing process (mainly quality control and stone setting, and even then, its not exactly rustic).

I fully appreciate the thought that went into designing these rings though - the artistry is very VERY impressive. but if any of you are willing to invest some time into learning how to create 3D models, there's a company called shapeways that will print your designs for you, in a variety of metals or plastic. for a slightly smaller cost (since you will be investing your time into design, instead of paying an artist to do so) the choice whether to spend loads of time (and come to appreciate the artist and what they charge after realizing how much effort it actually takes to create something like these rings), or just pay the artist and get an item you can start wearing right away? is yours.

you may think its too expensive now. but try to create something like that, see how long it takes you, consider the overhead... and suddenly... it becomes a bargain :)

P.S. silver is currently around $35 an ounce, and most silver you can bring to a jewelry to "melt down" needs to be assayed (aka chemically cleaned from impurities) first, before you can work with it. (and it will probably cost more to create at local jeweler's if you want this same level of quality)

Edited by Jeweledleah