Unbelievable. Even Worse Than The Prequels!!!!

Korithras

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=737580

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=737582

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=737657

Three of the threads in which this topic gets already discussed. There are probably more, but these were the ones I could find in under a minute.

Aside from that, nothing will change. Just because disney says that the EU isn't canon anymore it won't just disappear. It'll still be there to enjoy - and people will most likely add to it.

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=737580

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=737582

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=737657

Three of the threads in which this topic gets already discussed. There are probably more, but these were the ones I could find in under a minute.

Aside from that, nothing will change. Just because disney says that the EU isn't canon anymore it won't just disappear. It'll still be there to enjoy - and people will most likely add to it.

Perhaps, but it's an insult to writers, musicians, game designers and fans everywhere to call 30+ years worth of material non-canon. When Lucas just stopped with the series until '99 the fans stepped in and made the universe their own. I'm sorry but you go for that long without adding to your ****, you have alot of nerve to call everything outside of I - Vi, Clone Wars and Rebels non-canon. It doesn't matter if you liked it or not in terms of the author of the book, that belongs to us not to Lucas, Lucasfilm or to Disney.

I hope I'm not alone in actually being delighted by this. As much as I enjoy and adore certain of the EU novels, the larger portion of them are quite ridiculous in their scope and execution.

It's not going anywhere, it's still available to be read, and still going to be sold, but it won't have bearing on the movies and official work from here on out. Good news. :)

I hope I'm not alone in actually being delighted by this. As much as I enjoy and adore certain of the EU novels, the larger portion of them are quite ridiculous in their scope and execution.

It's not going anywhere, it's still available to be read, and still going to be sold, but it won't have bearing on the movies and official work from here on out. Good news. :)

Nonsense. It's perfectly reasonable to have a Force-using Wookie and Hutt. And Ewoks.

And Jawas.

And a droid or two.

Nonsense. It's perfectly reasonable to have a Force-using Wookie and Hutt. And Ewoks.

And Jawas.

And a droid or two.

Hey don't you go talking smack about Skippy the Jedi Droid, that little astromech sacrificed himself for the good of the whole galaxy!

Also Wookiee Jedi are still canon even in the new system :D

Edited by DarthDymond

What does it matter anyway? All that means is that it won't have an impact on the new movies. If you enjoy the old canon you will still be able to enjoy the old canon.

Not if a major portion of the enjoyment derived from the old canon was its part in the whole Star Wars Universe. Many, including me, view Star Wars as a coherent universe with a history and characters that we find interesting. Part of the interest of EU material was the way it connected various groups and people to simulate a detailed, immersive galaxy. As with modern history, if one knew enough about Star Wars, more context and information yields greater understanding and greater enjoyment. The fact that the Old Republic Era occurred thousands of years before the Galactic Civil War, and that historically one informed the other, is part of what made Star Wars compelling to me.

So now, when we are told that the EU didn't actually occur, and that this coherent whole does not actually exist (yet), I am profoundly disappointed. I will not cling to the EU, but will disregard it, regardless of how much enjoyment I have derived from it. I will no longer be able to enjoy it. I hope that helps you somewhat understand why some are upset by this news.

Why care about lucasfilm nonsense anyway:cool: it's unlikely they will come and try to change swtor to some other

As I've said in another thread, it isn't a matter of whether they will change swtor, it's whether swtor is considered "real" or canon within the new official canon. Strange as it may seem to some of you, that distinction does matter to some people, justifiably I think.

As I've said in another thread, it isn't a matter of whether they will change swtor, it's whether swtor is considered "real" or canon within the new official canon. Strange as it may seem to some of you, that distinction does matter to some people, justifiably I think.

None of it is real.

None of it is real.

This. It's a game.

And do we exactly know what happened 4000 years ago? No. Something still happened, swtor is very "real"

It's still not wonder if people on Episode 7 times remember only it's legends

None of it is real.

I specifically said "'real' or canon within the new official canon," as in, real within the Star Wars Universe. Within the official Star Wars Universe, there are certain things that have happened and many things that have not happened. Lucasfilm's new stance is setting up new rules to settle this issue.

This. It's a game.

And do we exactly know what happened 4000 years ago? No. Something still happened, swtor is very "real"

It's still not wonder if people on Episode 7 times remember only it's legends

I don't see any evidence for that at all. Legends is simply the word they chose to establish what hasn't actually happened within Star Wars. You're right to say that something happened 4000 years ago, but it might be something radically different from what is presented in this game. In that sense, the events of SWTOR may not have actually happened within the Star Wars galaxy at all. It isnt clear yet, but I'm sure they'll answer that question soon.

Like I said in one of the many other threads on this, George Lucas never considered anything canon (although he never used the word) except his own work.

Everything else was fiction, gossip, a parallel universe or whatever else he chose to call it.

And everything else was subject to change at his whimsy. If he changed something in the movies and that then contradicted EU material, the EU material was either retconed or simply dismissed...

So the only thing that was ever canon in the first place was what Lucas made.

The only change here is that the illusion of the canonicity of the EU is gone. But don't worry, they are (according to earlier articles that I'm too lazy to google for) not just deleting all the EU, they are actually sorting it into canon and non-canon once and for all to make a solid history in star wars.

It was pretty given that all the post-movies stuff would go since that's where they are setting the new movies, but some movies take place between the old movies (like the boba fett spinoff) so some of the stuff there might go too.

But the really old stuff will most likely be kept as canon and just sorted to avoid any conflicting stuff.

here's one article on it anyway: http://io9.com/disney-appoints-a-group-to-determine-a-new-official-st-1497893812

Some info on the guy running the operation: http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Leland_Chee

Edited by OddballEasyEight

The only change here is that the illusion of the canonicity of the EU is gone. But don't worry, they are (according to earlier articles that I'm too lazy to google for) not just deleting all the EU, they are actually sorting it into canon and non-canon once and for all to make a solid history in star wars.

It was pretty given that all the post-movies stuff would go since that's where they are setting the new movies, but some movies take place between the old movies (like the boba fett spinoff) so some of the stuff there might go too.

But the really old stuff will most likely be kept as canon and just sorted to avoid any conflicting stuff.

You make a good point about the illusion of canonicity, and that may have been what it was all along, although Lucasfilm perpetuated that illusion by licensing official Star Wars products. And you then raised the crucial question that I'm wondering about, which is whether SWTOR will be sorted into the canon or non-cannon pile. However, I don't see any evidence to suggest that "the really old stuff will most likely be kept as canon," but I do hope that that's the case.

Heh I said that a day would come when the SW purists that bashed GL would end up missing him.

Say what you will about the man and his directing and dialogue writing ability, the trilogies were his labor of love. Disney is in the labor of making a tidy profit. If they calculate that they can make 100mil profit by making a spinoff blockbuster flick about a wookie Darth Revan and his nemesis jedi master Pink Space Pony, that's what we'll have.

Perhaps, but it's an insult to writers, musicians, game designers and fans everywhere to call 30+ years worth of material non-canon. When Lucas just stopped with the series until '99 the fans stepped in and made the universe their own. I'm sorry but you go for that long without adding to your ****, you have alot of nerve to call everything outside of I - Vi, Clone Wars and Rebels non-canon. It doesn't matter if you liked it or not in terms of the author of the book, that belongs to us not to Lucas, Lucasfilm or to Disney.

Anything outside the Movies and TV series were always not considered the same level of canon, and most other IPs also don't consider licensed products as canon either, so this is really nothing that new or unusual. The only reason they probably even said anything is to head off any complaints of not using certain characters or stories in their new movies.

You make a good point about the illusion of canonicity, and that may have been what it was all along, although Lucasfilm perpetuated that illusion by licensing official Star Wars products. And you then raised the crucial question that I'm wondering about, which is whether SWTOR will be sorted into the canon or non-cannon pile. However, I don't see any evidence to suggest that "the really old stuff will most likely be kept as canon," but I do hope that that's the case.

Well there are several rasons:

1: there are no movies currently planned set in that era.

2: there IS, however, an active game taking place in said era

3: that game (SW:TOR) is designed, run and owned by EA which has the current rights to all star wars games for the next 10 years.

That would increase the chances of it being considered canon.

Besides, they are actually sorting the EU stuff into canon and non-canon right now and I don't see any practical reason for throwing out any of the Old Republic era stuff as non-canon (unless it directly influences the next movies).

No words can describe the amount of pain, betrayal and anger I feel right now towards Lucasfilm for this.

http://www.technobuffalo.com/2014/04/25/lucasfilm-declares-nearly-the-entire-star-wars-expanded-universe-is-non-canon/

It's a story. It's their story. They can tell their story however they want.

The amount of butthurt just in one sentence there seems far worse than Sean Waltman's injury.

Did you enjoy the stories? Is this decision retroactively destroying that enjoyment of the stories for you? It shouldn't be... if you're emotionally stable.

Is this decision going to render you unable to enjoy further stories? Again, it shouldn't... if you're emotionally stable.

I've been a Star Wars fan since I saw A New Hope in theaters opening day. I'm looking forward to seeing new story.

In the immortal words of The Ahnald.... STOP WHINING.

Well there are several rasons:

1: there are no movies currently planned set in that era.

2: there IS, however, an active game taking place in said era

3: that game (SW:TOR) is designed, run and owned by EA which has the current rights to all star wars games for the next 10 years.

That would increase the chances of it being considered canon.

Besides, they are actually sorting the EU stuff into canon and non-canon right now and I don't see any practical reason for throwing out any of the Old Republic era stuff as non-canon (unless it directly influences the next movies).

Again, I do hope that you're right, and I agree with you that it seems likely. But in theory, it could easily go either way. Until they pronounce upon it, we still don't know.

Am I the only person that loved the prequels? They got me into Star Wars in the first place :\ But on topic, I figured that even when the new movies were ushered in, fans would just go about their business and stick to what they preferred.

I mean the post RotJ was decent but I never could take it seriously compared to the more established story and lore in the movies. I went in to the comics/books and video games knowing that the stories can easily be cast aside and redone, so the fact that people are still surprised and or pissed is odd. I'm not really bothered by it.

Now, if they go out of their way to mess with the Old Republic Era..

For me Star Wars is three films I watched as a little kid in the 70s and 80s. All the rest of it could vanish tomorrow and I would hardly notice. In fact I would celebrate, at least regarding those turds George Lucas released around the turn of the millenium.

I like SWTOR, but it's just a computer game. A piece of ephemeral fun, not a thing of substance. Pain, anger and betrayal? Over whether the backstories of some video games and the money-grubbing spin-off industry of fan fiction and crappy toys that has accumulated around some old movies are canon or not?

LOL, what a stupid thing to get worked up about.

Edited by PLynkes