us VS them....why?

jjazt

Why does this game feel like us (players) vs them (devs)?

I have many gripes like the rest of the community. This comes from the nerf to chapter 9 xp. I could run chapter 9 with my xp gear (from DvL event) and boost and not accept the rewards...run it 3x and boom! I'm 68.5...a few H2s and I'm 70. Then they stealth nerf it so I can't run chapter 9 again.

WHY? Why does this bother you devs? I ran the story on my main and wanna get my alts to 70 asap. Why do you constantly force me to play "your way". Now I have to grind to 70 just to grind cxp.....this "triggers me" as the young folks say and makes me wanna smash my face into the monitor.

Then..."1 crate per hour". Tier 2 is at 90. So if I play my main for 90 hours I can get tier 2 gear....who thinks this stuff up? My 6 year old wanted to play again so I re-activated this account for him. He realized what was going on and said....nevermind.

I know there are threads like this but I get so angry, I have to voice my opinion. I love this game and the friends I made here....why are you alienating so many of us? I want to play your game....stop shoving a fist up my rear!

They haven't stopped you being able to run Chapter 9 again, they have simply stopped you from stacking completed chapter 9's. Time and time again, the devs have shown that they will identify and close these little loopholes. It is not beneficial to the player experience, much like those other methods. There is more than enough usual content that can be completed, rather than cherry picking partial grinds. The end level is not the aim in this game, it's the journey that is important. Much like all that gear people have been raging about over the last three weeks... That is not the aim either. Just play the game, enjoy it. The grind and any concept of a grind is basically in your head.

It feels like Us v. Them because "they" do not play the game. This is painfully obvious anytime they try to show us "content". They do not enjoy their own product, they do not actually keep their finger on the pulse of their customer base. Ultimately they are entirely removed from reality as it relates to this community.

I have many gripes like the rest of the community. This comes from the nerf to chapter 9 xp. I could run chapter 9 with my xp gear (from DvL event) and boost and not accept the rewards...run it 3x and boom! I'm 68.5...a few H2s and I'm 70. Then they stealth nerf it so I can't run chapter 9 again.

And for the record, you knew this was an exploit. It was frowned upon way back in 2.0. You really thought they'd not close this down? Be thankful you got as many through this exploit as you got.

You really can't argue that you didn't know that banking missions is unintended (and therefore clearly an exploit).

The team at EA/BW who codes the game and invents the mechanics of the game should be embarrassed.

The ideas are universally hated and not asked for and the game is filled with bugs.

Some people enjoy the game DESPITE what the devs do, not because of it.

The only reason the game is still existing is due to it having the words "Star Wars" in the name.

edit: err....now that I actually read the first post....thats you exploiting...my comments are just general.

Edited by Smuglebunny

They haven't stopped you being able to run Chapter 9 again, they have simply stopped you from stacking completed chapter 9's. Time and time again, the devs have shown that they will identify and close these little loopholes. It is not beneficial to the player experience, much like those other methods. There is more than enough usual content that can be completed, rather than cherry picking partial grinds. The end level is not the aim in this game, it's the journey that is important. Much like all that gear people have been raging about over the last three weeks... That is not the aim either. Just play the game, enjoy it. The grind and any concept of a grind is basically in your head.

5.0 screws with that. 4.0 you gained a decent number of crystals from playing all aspects of the game while leveling up. When you dinged 65 you had enough crystals for most of tier 208. Unless you were a pure end-game player there was no real reason to push for max level. The changes to 5.0 stripped the crystal rewards from leveling content and replaced them with ... nothing. Now the reward structure heavily encourages players to push hard for 70 no matter what content they enjoy because that is where the rewards are. Further, the rewards are so unequally balanced it is quite clear that they really don't want you playing what you enjoy, they want you playing a select few activities and nothing else.

5.0 screws with that. 4.0 you gained a decent number of crystals from playing all aspects of the game while leveling up. When you dinged 65 you had enough crystals for most of tier 208. Unless you were a pure end-game player there was no real reason to push for max level. The changes to 5.0 stripped the crystal rewards from leveling content and replaced them with ... nothing. Now the reward structure heavily encourages players to push hard for 70 no matter what content they enjoy because that is where the rewards are. Further, the rewards are so unequally balanced it is quite clear that they really don't want you playing what you enjoy, they want you playing a select few activities and nothing else.

The 208 equivalent in 5.0 is 228 gear, which we can all craft, at level 10 if you so wanted :/

The changes in 4.0 had already effectively rendered the common crystal rewards as irrelevant. Level sync and character bolster.

Edited by leehambly

The 208 equivalent in 5.0 is 228 gear, which we can all craft.

Not everyone crafts, and that takes a ton of mats as well as a fair bit of time and/or money, as opposed to the old method that was absolutely free and took only the few minutes of shopping to be reasonably geared to start group content.

Not everyone crafts, and that takes a ton of mats as well as a fair bit of time and/or money, as opposed to the old method that was absolutely free and took only the few minutes of shopping to be reasonably geared to start group content.

No, it doesn't. Its a simple two stage craft, one to make a component, another to make the final item. If all you want is to be able to join a group for group content... you don't need any gear other than your main hand. Bolster.

Edited by leehambly

It feels like Us v. Them because "they" do not play the game. This is painfully obvious anytime they try to show us "content". They do not enjoy their own product, they do not actually keep their finger on the pulse of their customer base. Ultimately they are entirely removed from reality as it relates to this community.

My impression as well. The only thing they do seem to play now and then is reg pvp. Probably because it's quick & easy to jump in.

Whenever they bother to give an explanation for something they did or changed, it tends to boggle the mind and raise the question which game they're playing, or shows they're out of touch with player situation / pov / perception / motivation / interest.

I can answer this one.

Simply because we'll ask for one thing, and BioWare will hear something different, and then provide something completely different to that.

I've got to add the obliglitory exception(s) though. Tait is brilliant and works hard quietly behind the scenes, I suspect he isn't the only one.

WHY? Why does this bother you devs? I ran the story on my main and wanna get my alts to 70 asap. Why do you constantly force me to play "your way". Now I have to grind to 70 just to grind cxp.....this "triggers me" as the young folks say and makes me wanna smash my face into the monitor.

Then..."1 crate per hour". Tier 2 is at 90. So if I play my main for 90 hours I can get tier 2 gear....who thinks this stuff up? My 6 year old wanted to play again so I re-activated this account for him. He realized what was going on and said....nevermind.

I know there are threads like this but I get so angry, I have to voice my opinion. I love this game and the friends I made here....why are you alienating so many of us? I want to play your game....stop shoving a fist up my rear!

Just a warning that you should probably delete the part about your 6 year old. Aside from the fact that this game has content inappropriate for a child that age it's also against the TOS for anyone under 13 to be playing. They can (and will) suspend your account and deactivate his if they read this (which they probably won't.).

Probably because they don't play their own game at it's current patch. Out of touch.

And also, I don't think they make the decisions. Some top EA execs working out of another office make all the decisions. Then they have to reconcile it all with Disney afterwards in order to keep it Star Warsy enough, and that it fits the path they've chosen for the Old Republic genre.

Edited by Rion_Starkiller

And for the record, you knew this was an exploit. It was frowned upon way back in 2.0. You really thought they'd not close this down? Be thankful you got as many through this exploit as you got.

You really can't argue that you didn't know that banking missions is unintended (and therefore clearly an exploit).

I'm sorry but I have never exploited and never will. If this was truly an exploit since 2.0, why hasn't it been fixed for that long? Frowned up and exploit are 2 very different things imo. I assumed they maybe didn't love it but why do they care how I level my 10th-20th alt? I'm not hurting anyone. It seems to bother you too....why?

Oh and I can really say that there is nothing wrong with banking missions. I completed them, what does it matter when I accept my rewards? Again...how am I affecting you or anyone else in this game?

I guess it's back to "exploiting" the Bestia adds...again...I guess that is ok though?

Edited by jjazt

It is not beneficial to the player experience, much like those other methods.

The end level is not the aim in this game, it's the journey that is important.

Just play the game, enjoy it. The grind and any concept of a grind is basically in your head.

Just IMO, but these three sentences very clearly represent the mindset of the studio. Fundamental assumptions of how their game ought to be played. Core beliefs they create content around.

I consider this mindset to be delusional in an MMO. Without question it is radically out of sync with the majority of players who have installed this game. That is inarguable.

This is why you do not take a studio with zero MMO experience and hand them the most valuable IP of all time.

That there are people who do indeed play this way in no way invalidates the truth - this mindset pushes away a lot more people than it attracts.

Why do you get to decide how I want to play this game? I have 30 characters. Been here since day 1. I prefer not to do the same missions over and over to get from 65-70. The end game is the game for me at this point. I want to "grind" my way through GC levels. 65-70 I get nothing useful.

I really don't understand this. I pay to play this game. If I'm not affecting or hurting you or anyone else, why do you even care how I level?

Just IMO, but these three sentences very clearly represent the mindset of the studio. Fundamental assumptions of how their game ought to be played. Core beliefs they create content around.

I consider this mindset to be delusional in an MMO.

+1

/5char

I consider this mindset to be delusional in an MMO. Without question it is radically out of sync with the majority of players who have installed this game. That is inarguable.

This is why you do not take a studio with zero MMO experience and hand them the most valuable IP of all time.

That there are people who do indeed play this way in no way invalidates the truth - this mindset pushes away a lot more people than it attracts.

To expand on that, they say "play and have fun", but then create game systems that require an endless amount of grinding to achieve the goals. Altering our playstyles so that we can chase the carrot they dangled in front of us is work, not play, and certainly not fun in the long run.

Ops and PvP will be the only way to have a chance to avoid the 300+ hour grind that doesn't even guarantee you'll be geared up at the end of it. Their new uprisings as well as flashpoints and other daily/weekly content is being ignored when considering the new components and tokens.

By the time you reach 300+ and have your shiny new gear they'll release new gear ratings which will completely invalidate our gains. We need to time to earn AND ENJOY the gear we're getting. They're just trying to keep us busy with a nonsense grind so we'll stay subscribed.

This US vs THEM mind set is driven by the players, who bark and scream about everything.. AND always blame the studio. I've never seen the studio bark and scream and demand and belittle players.

Then again... all of social media on the internet is pretty much primal US vs THEM.... so no surprise it carries over into everything.

By the time you reach 300+ and have your shiny new gear they'll release new gear ratings which will completely invalidate our gains. We need to time to earn AND ENJOY the gear we're getting. They're just trying to keep us busy with a nonsense grind so we'll stay subscribed.

This is the perfect summary of why this system is bad for end game players.

Edited by RagnarAugustus

I've never seen the studio bark and scream and demand and belittle players.

Bark and scream? No, they go silent and put us on ignore.

Some responses are belittling - "heal to full and make them pay" - but not the extent that you see from some forum posters.

Edited by AshlaBoga

This US vs THEM mind set is driven by the players, who bark and scream about everything.. AND always blame the studio. I've never seen the studio bark and scream and demand and belittle players.

Always blame the studio? Wait....are you saying that it's the players fault for the lack of raids in 2 years and for the RNG system being added? It's the players fault Bioware focus more on the cartel market than us?

Are you saying Bioware are scared of the players so they are afraid to add new content?

And no we haven't seen the studio bark and scream. They just go silent and ignore us.

Edited by DarthWoad

Always blame the studio? Wait....are you saying that it's the players fault for the lack of raids in 2 years and for the RNG system being added? It's the players fault Bioware focus more on the cartel market than us?

Are you saying Bioware are scared of the players so they are afraid to add new content?

And no we haven't seen the studio bark and scream. They just go silent and ignore us.

Well said.

The grind and any concept of a grind is basically in your head.

I assure you there is very REAL grind in the new GC system. I have a high tolerance for grinding so it doesn't bother me much.

What does bother me is why I am grinding. Currently I am grinding because I have nothing else to do. The grind itself seems pointless because unlike other games where I need to grind to get a piece of armor strong enough to beat boss X, there is nowhere else to go. I don't need super strong armor because I have no content in which to use it.

I desperately wish the devs would take a look at quality of life improvements in the game. It seems like they nerf everything to death until it isn't fun to play anymore.