EricMusco

• Dev Post

Hey folks,

Please use this thread to post your feedback on the new Arena Map, Mandalorian Battle Ring. A few reminders:

• As an Arena map, the best way to test it is in Ranked play.
    • This map can also pop in the regular Warzone queue, but it is much less likely.

Let us know your thoughts!

-eric

Got the first pop on this arena. I went out of spawn and immediately died. Our sorc used phasewalk and immediately kill himself with it.

I think there is something wrong with the out of bounds instakill stuff or just like the "old" Rishi arena where you would kill yourself just by leaping and stuff like that. I would like to check on established arena maps but everyone just wants to see the new one!

EDIT: Tried phasewalk once on Corellia Square and sorc didnt die. Guess this has something to do with the "new arena instadeath" bug

EDIT: You can't leap or shoot people from the outside to area from the inside area of the map

Edited by DarthYun

This new map needs work. If you keep the map as-is every team will want to fight downstairs.

This is not an exaggeration when i say, this map is extremely bad for competitive pvp (solo/teams).

1) As a arena player i can tell you that no one will go upstairs on this map. If anyone gets knocked down from there it will take them like 20 seconds (at LEAST) to find the ramp and go back up. The top section completely crys cheese strats.

To fix this, please make the middle section a hill, yes a hill. Lower the whole thing and put 4 ramps around the sides. This will fix the major flaw of this map which is it is extremely punishing to be pushed off.

2)There is almost no LoS for healers or DPS that require LoS. The downstairs from what i seen looks like there is limited areas to LoS (does it even have LoS??). There needs to be some actual LoS on the map. My suggestion is to had 4 pillars around the middle.

3)The middle section under is also ???? what is the point of having it in a death match.

At least in rishi (another competitively poor map because of ramps) you had options on where you can fight but in this new map i feel forces everyone upstairs where pushbacks can completely make or break you. You need to possibility lower the middle and widen the areas around the middle so players can fight downstairs if the middle gives one team a superior advantage.

Edited by kissingaiur

it takes far too long to get back on top of the map relative to how dominating and large the high ground is

the size of the high ground relative to the map at large also has the effect of making the outer ring this awkward deadzone - should you choose to fight here the map is very bland

at the very least there should be more than 2 ramps to get up top - getting knocked off to a spot really far away from the bottom of one of the ramps results in a ridiculously long return trip. in any case, making getting knocked down less painful or making it harder to get knocked off in the first place (some railings maybe?) would massively improve the map

in the current solo ranked meta melee heavy teams can make orbital station work because there are drawbacks to being on catwalks, like being boxed in with melee should you fail to knock them off. additionally, there are good odds that the ranged are in a position where they can be lept again right after they've just used their knock. this is NOT the case on this map and it's a big deal

this map is so dominated by the high ground that it encourages teams that are lopsided in their ability to take advantage of high ground to just play chicken with one another to a degree that no other map comes even close to

:)

Can you please update the arena playlist so we can test the new arena properly, and more efficiently? It's counter productive getting the other arenas...

I would only go back to Ranked if it was 8v8. Otherwise i will stay on the Un-Ranked matches.

I would only go back to Ranked if it was 8v8. Otherwise i will stay on the Un-Ranked matches.

I feel the same way.

With the high ping I have since closing my APAC servers and then moving the west coast ones to the east, it makes it very restricting trying to play death match.

8v8 is much more forgiving when you have high ping

This new map needs work. If you keep the map as-is every team will want to fight downstairs.

This is not an exaggerating when i say, this map is extremely bad for competitive pvp (solo/teams).

1) As a arena player i can tell you that no one will go upstairs on this map. If anyone gets knocked down from there it will take them like 20 seconds (at LEAST) to find the ramp and go back up. The top section is completely crys cheese strats.

To fix this, please make the middle section a hill, yes a hill. Lower the whole thing and put 4 ramps around the sides. This will fix the major flaw of this map which is it is extremely punishing to be pushed off.

2)There is almost no LoS for healers or DPS that require LoS. The downstairs from what i seen looks like there is limited areas to LoS (does it even have LoS??). There needs to be some actual LoS on the map. My suggestion is to had 4 pillars around the middle.

3)The middle section under is also ???? what is the point of having it in a death match.

At least in rishi (another competitively poor map because of ramps) you had options on where you can fight but in this new map i feel forces everyone upstairs where pushbacks can completely make or break you. You need to possibility lower the middle and widen the areas around the middle so players can fight downstairs if the middle gives one team a superior advantage.

This pretty much sums up my thoughts on the arena as a whole I came here to submit my thoughts on it after a first match only to find this. Thank you for the excellent post hopefully they'll take this into account when continuing to develop the arena. That said though, I will of course play the arena some more to see if I find something more to say about it. I really like the look of it and I think it has potential for sure but it needs refinement. Also at a start of a match I was Always dead and had to resurect Before being able to play.

Devs please considering this situation. One sniper upstairs on the edge in entench. There is no way any melee player to stay on that sniper. He would be safe from attack for the duration of entench. If any melee is dumb enough to engage they can be knocked all the way downstairs and have to take the absurdly long walk back to their team.

No other map deals with this amount of walking or designed in a way that everyone needs to fight up in a pushback favored environment. At last in the other arena with ramps you can easily find a leap target or holotraverse back. All the other incline arena maps or arenas with ramps, the inclines are small and low off the ground. This map is a large platform, it would be highly unlikely you can use to leap back, if you get one your team mate can be knocked just like you.

Edited by kissingaiur

I just posted same concept as Hottie in the pvp forums, exactly the same idea. The map needs work, it's to elevated and no competitive teams want that, it's like in orbital, good teams never go up top because there is too much rng with knockbacks

It's too elevated, it's too separated. Teams who run hardswap will want to be at the top whilst teams who run pressure will want to fight down inside the hill. There are going to be stalemates due to a team not wanting to go up to the elevated platform. One knockback for a hardswap team is pretty much a guaranteed kill. No one likes going up top in teams in orbital, they certainly will not want to go up top in the new rishi map, I think to resolve the hill needs to be lower and and maybe ramps going up, built a bit like a pyramid. I'm very concerned about this new map, he who has the best knockback wins, not he who has the best team. Oh and not to mention there is a spawn bug where you die when you run out of spawn

I believe previous posters have highlighted the major issues with this arena and want to bump this so that it stays at the top of the devs list.

Please do not push this map to live as is!

Edited by alexsamma

My one concern about the way the arena is now, there is almost no reason to use the basement, unless you're trying t avoid the acid until the last minute, there is no reason to go down there. So that's 50% of the map kinda wasted. Not sure how to improve it.

Not that I'm a fan of arenas to begin with, but I do not like this arena at all. I don't even know where to begin to make this arena any fun, and frankly I'd prefer if the arena was just scrapped. It's closer to being a decent Quake 3 map than a decent SWTOR arena at this point

I like the decoration theme though.

I got the new Rishi arena three times today, and I really like the new LoS blockers and the railings that you put in. Also, it looks like you fixed the bugs with the invisible walls; I didn't notice those today.

I still think that it takes way too long to get up if you are knocked down. With some bad luck, a player may be out of the match for 15 seconds until he can get back up.

In the future, I suppose players will make sure to not stand near the edge so they won't get kicked down, and this is a valid workaround. But I am not sure if it is better to change the arena instead.

For example, one solution would be to lower the height of the center platform by half. That way, you don't have to run up as much as you do now. In addition, you could add two more ramps so that you can get up on 4 sides, not just 2. But maybe just reducing the height of the center could be enough.

Like I said, I'm not 100% sure if it is needed to make such a change, it could just be a L2P issue and players need to adapt. On other maps it is easier to get back up, but maybe it is better to have some variety, and have one arena where getting knocked down is punishing.

Edited by Jerba

I got the new Rishi arena three times today, and I really like the new LoS blockers and the railings that you put in. Also, it looks like you fixed the bugs with the invisible walls; I didn't notice those today.

I still think that it takes way too long to get up if you are knocked down. With some bad luck, a player may be out of the match for 15 seconds until he can get back up.

In the future, I suppose players will make sure to not stand near the edge so they won't get kicked down, and this is a valid workaround. But I am not sure if it is better to change the arena instead.

For example, one solution would be to lower the height of the center platform by half. That way, you don't have to run up as much as you do now. In addition, you could add two more ramps so that you can get up on 4 sides, not just 2. But maybe just reducing the height of the center could be enough.

Like I said, I'm not 100% sure if it is needed to make such a change, it could just be a L2P issue and players need to adapt. On other maps it is easier to get back up, but maybe it is better to have some variety, and have one arena where getting knocked down is punishing.

You are 100% correct it is not a l2p, elevation is still a big issue on this map