Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Hands-on with SWTOR's Galactic Starfighter

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Galactic Starfighter
Hands-on with SWTOR's Galactic Starfighter

The_Grand_Nagus's Avatar


The_Grand_Nagus
11.14.2013 , 12:51 PM | #1
Quote: Originally Posted by Gavin Townsley

The objective is just on the horizon. We're a ragtag group of journalists -- no, starfighter pilots -- and we're hellbent on taking a key objective from the enemy. The problem isn't the defending turrets; it's the five red squares that have just popped on our HUDs: Sith fighters. In a few moments, we'll lose each other in a storm of blaster fire and exploding ships. The ship to my right engages the turbo on his engines, rocketing forward. One by one, we all follow into the fray.

This is Galactic Starfighter, the new expansion coming to Bioware's Star Wars: The Old Republic. The new ships, their customization options, and the chaotic, free-flight-PvP space combat make it one of the largest feature upgrades since the game's launch. It won't put you in the Death Star's trenches, but it will get you close. Join me in the cockpit as I tell you about my experience in rail-less throes of space mayhem.
Full article here:

http://massively.joystiq.com/2013/11...c-starfighter/

***Edit***

And here is an article from MMORPG.com:

Quote: Originally Posted by Blake Morse

Since EA and BioWare Austin launched Star Wars: The Old Republic, it has gone through a lot of changes. Moving to a F2P model along with getting consistent, scheduled updates has made it a game with strong community and brought in new players. Now though, they’re ready to make what is probably the most dramatic update to gameplay the game has ever seen. And it’s coming in the form of full-on, free-flight space battles.
Full article here:

http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/g...er.html/page/1

ALL YOUR LATINUM ARE BELONG TO ME

ImpactHound's Avatar


ImpactHound
11.14.2013 , 12:55 PM | #2
I think I'll actually download test server for this. Are you Gavin?

The_Grand_Nagus's Avatar


The_Grand_Nagus
11.14.2013 , 01:05 PM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by ImpactHound View Post
I think I'll actually download test server for this. Are you Gavin?
No, are you?
ALL YOUR LATINUM ARE BELONG TO ME

ImpactHound's Avatar


ImpactHound
11.14.2013 , 01:08 PM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by The_Grand_Nagus View Post
No, are you?
Maybe, depends on what his wife looks like.

Ingmar's Avatar


Ingmar
11.14.2013 , 01:10 PM | #5
After getting a chance to play this last night at the Cantina Tour, I can say it is absolutely worth a look. It's a really impressive technical feat getting the engine to do a space shooter as good as this seems to have turned out to be.

LordArtemis's Avatar


LordArtemis
11.14.2013 , 01:13 PM | #6
The buzz internet wide seems relatively positive, though I keep hearing about the lack of gamepad support over and over. I am worried that this will be a mistake on Bioware's part...this should have had native gamepad support at launch.

Other than that it looks like the appeal will be rather widespread...and another notable point, it looks like hardcore PVP players hate it....good sign for PVE casual players.

I do not think this will appeal generally to the hardcore MMO PVP crowd, and I think that bodes well for the feature and the game.

But like I said...lack of gamepad/joystick support I believe is a huge blunder.

Arkerus's Avatar


Arkerus
11.14.2013 , 01:17 PM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by LordArtemis View Post
The buzz internet wide seems relatively positive, though I keep hearing about the lack of gamepad support over and over. I am worried that this will be a mistake on Bioware's part...this should have had native gamepad support at launch.

Other than that it looks like the appeal will be rather widespread...and another notable point, it looks like hardcore PVP players hate it....good sign for PVE casual players.

I do not think this will appeal generally to the hardcore MMO PVP crowd, and I think that bodes well for the feature and the game.

But like I said...lack of gamepad/joystick support I believe is a huge blunder.
Blunder is debatable. From the sounds of it, it was built around keyboard and mouse control. The fighters were meant to be controlled in that manner. I am assuming (and note ASSUMING) that the control scheme does not translate well to gamepad or joystick. They would probably have to write an entirely new input scheme to support gamepads and flightsticks and that probably didn't make sense in the technical and gameplay departments.

We will see.
Hooning in the rex : http://youtu.be/xtXUM6yPMCY

Vandicus's Avatar


Vandicus
11.14.2013 , 01:22 PM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by LordArtemis View Post

Other than that it looks like the appeal will be rather widespread...and another notable point, it looks like hardcore PVP players hate it....good sign for PVE casual players.

I
Eh, its a twitch game and basically akin to a shooter. I don't know how well it'll appeal to casuals. The game is great once you've figured things out(the tutorial mode wasn't complete as of the latest build) but its actually fairly complex. Clickers will probably be somewhat frustrated, as there are quite a few critical hotkeys that players need to match up. If there is no skill-based matchmaking, some people may end up walking away angry and frustrated(we had a couple on the test forums). Be prepared to walk away from your first few matches with negligible kills and one or two people sitting in the teens or twenties.
Darasuum kote ner vode!
Darasuum kote Mando'ade!

LordArtemis's Avatar


LordArtemis
11.14.2013 , 01:26 PM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by Vandicus View Post
Eh, its a twitch game and basically akin to a shooter. I don't know how well it'll appeal to casuals. The game is great once you've figured things out(the tutorial mode wasn't complete as of the latest build) but its actually fairly complex. Clickers will probably be somewhat frustrated, as there are quite a few critical hotkeys that players need to match up. If there is no skill-based matchmaking, some people may end up walking away angry and frustrated(we had a couple on the test forums). Be prepared to walk away from your first few matches with negligible kills and one or two people sitting in the teens or twenties.
Which is exactly why a joystick option would be needed. It is a natural match with a 3d twitch shooter. Much easier for folks to control and enjoy playing.

I am just putting forth my opinion here, but most keyboard and mouse only 3d twitch shooters, to my knowledge have bombed. Joystick control is a must if you want the feature to have appeal beyond a small group of fanatics.

Just my slant...I think this will prove to have been a mistake they will likely regret. We will see this weekend.

The_Grand_Nagus's Avatar


The_Grand_Nagus
11.14.2013 , 01:27 PM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by ImpactHound View Post
Maybe, depends on what his wife looks like.
What if he isnt married? Or what if he is...but doesnt have a wife?
ALL YOUR LATINUM ARE BELONG TO ME