Remembering when...

jdubbbz

I was remembering when I would level through pvp to get enough comms to purchase ranked gear once I hit max level. I did that even when there was a cap on how many pvp comms you could save, and we had to purchase pvp items and resell them before the timer to sell them back expired. Gearing seemed to take forever but that way I could be of a somewhat equal footing in pvp while I leveled and then not at a disadvantage when I reached max level.

That system drove me bonkers in certain ways. I even remember forgetting to sell my weapons a couple times and having rows of useless pvp weapons left in my inventory, and I would get so pissed at all the effort/time that I just threw in the crapper, but back then at least I could pvp on all my characters regardless of what level they were. Matches popped at every level all the time.

I let my sub run out a week after 5.0 launched, but just recently resubbed for a month. I go for hours on hours without a midbie pop on TEH at times. Are there any servers where low and mid level pvp pop regularly? (preferably east coast). I'll still predominately play my main, but it would be nice to have an escape of that monotony at times.

Edited by jdubbbz

If TEH isn't popping midbies for East Coast, you probably won't get anything. I know SL and JC pop 70s pretty regularly throughout the day, and Harb does as well, but midbies/lowbies seem to be a problem everywhere (including Harb). You may have some luck with TRE, since that is 4-6 hours ahead of east coast, so daytime East Coast will be prime time there, but then you are playing across the Atlantic with the corresponding lag.

Also, note that PVP comms are no longer a thing. Instead, PVPing at 70 will give you Unassembled Components, which you can use to buy or upgrade gear you get from other means (the other means being either operations, which drop tokens in SM and HM, or from Galactic Command, the new gearing system that starts at 70, where everytime you gain a GC level, you get a box that may contain a piece of gear you want, but no guarantee).

But right now, there is no a benefit to playing lowbies/midbies except for XP and fun.

I was remembering when I would level through pvp to get enough comms to purchase ranked gear once I hit max level. I did that even when there was a cap on how many pvp comms you could save, and we had to purchase pvp items and resell them before the timer to sell them back expired. Gearing seemed to take forever but that way I could be of a somewhat equal footing in pvp while I leveled and then not at a disadvantage when I reached max level.

That system drove me bonkers in certain ways. I even remember forgetting to sell my weapons a couple times and having rows of useless pvp weapons left in my inventory, and I would get so pissed at all the effort/time that I just threw in the crapper, but back then at least I could pvp on all my characters regardless of what level they were. Matches popped at every level all the time.

I let my sub run out a week after 5.0 launched, but just recently resubbed for a month. I go for hours on hours without a midbie pop on TEH at times. Are there any servers where low and mid level pvp pop regularly? (preferably east coast). I'll still predominately play my main, but it would be nice to have an escape of that monotony at times.

You just made me sad remembering my own frustration with that process and how happy I was when they changed it. Sigh then...back to loot boxes we hated from 1.0. Now we have a more complex and convoluted process which is now being converted slowly back to what we had before. When we were happy and nobody asked for this. We are in a tough spot if the left us use left over comms to buy cosmetic item then the couldn't screw us with reskins on the cartel market. So they had to think of a way to stick us in a loop but still somehow feel rewarded, for doing something most pvpers would do even if we got nothing.

JCs sometimes have some midbies or lowbies going, and you may get a few games at a decent rate, but what mostly happens is they die within an hour, as a side typically dominate.

Its very rare it start popping unless a group premake and find more ppl to queue.

You have both good end-game players and clearly new players in them tough, and it somewhat create unbalance, as a single good pvpers can pretty much wipe the floor with a whole team alone sometimes.

I won a few 3vs1 with a sage dps.

I didnt sub to this game (or even main it as my primary mmo) until late 2015. Before that, I played it as a freebie, once a week for my weekly five warzones (or whatever it was), super casual indeed. Oh and a handful of FPs back when level mattered, and some other shenanigans. 2-4 hours at most a week. Good times.

It took me 2 years to get my first level 50 character, and those are the days I remember the fondest, those few warzones on the weekend

Now that I am here nearly on the daily, it saddens me to even consider rolling a lowbie, knowing how bad the queues are on any server. I relished lowbie pvp.

I logged into one of my old pvp chars from back in my freebie days, a little level 24 on Ebon Hawk, and remembered back when I had 4 inventory rows, 200k creds was max, but damn if that queue didnt pop the second i pushed the button.

Ebon Hawk was probably the best lowbie pvp server for a long long time (ive played many servers and that one had the fastest pops bar none). I guess roleplayers make for rabid lowbie pvp aficonados eh?

That being said....

I pushed the button this time.... and nothing. I waited for a half hour sitting there on pub fleet. All I saw was political banter, trolling, and just unremarkable trade spam. The queue never popped.

Probably gone for good, all of those xp bonus weeks last year and this year... along with the slog of command xp discouraging people from starting new chars.... just murdered it. Even 1 1/2 years ago those queues popped like magic. Today? Nope.

Edited by rylanadionysis

I didnt sub to this game (or even main it as my primary mmo) until late 2015. Before that, I played it as a freebie, once a week for my weekly five warzones (or whatever it was), super casual indeed. Oh and a handful of FPs back when level mattered, and some other shenanigans. 2-4 hours at most a week. Good times.

It took me 2 years to get my first level 50 character, and those are the days I remember the fondest, those few warzones on the weekend

Now that I am here nearly on the daily, it saddens me to even consider rolling a lowbie, knowing how bad the queues are on any server. I relished lowbie pvp.

I logged into one of my old pvp chars from back in my freebie days, a little level 24 on Ebon Hawk, and remembered back when I had 4 inventory rows, 200k creds was max, but damn if that queue didnt pop the second i pushed the button.

I pushed the button this time.... and nothing. I waited for a half hour sitting there on pub fleet. All I saw was political banter, trolling, and just unremarkable trade spam. The queue never popped.

Probably gone for good, all of those xp bonus weeks last year and this year... along with the slog of command xp discouraging people from starting new chars.... just murdered it. Even 1 1/2 years ago those queues popped like magic. Today? Nope.

Indeed, indeed. Someone should make a private server set in the 3.0 - 4.7 era.

4.0 pvp gearing was genius. It was revolutionary and didn't take too much time. Because there were many pops low/mid pvpers could almost completely level up their characters doing only pvp. That was the golden age of SWTOR. 5.x ruined that and the game is in massive decay because of it.

Now with 5.x it takes 100,000,000,000,000,000 times as long as it should to gear for PvP, it killed ALTS, killed mid pvp, killed low pvp and 70 pvp is a joke now because it is only imp versus imp due to the imbalance caused. In a nutshell 5.x ruined ALL PVP and ALL ALTS. You choose a main character, play only that, and forget PvP, unless your main is a level 70 imp and you like fighting against other imps all day.

To be fair, I like that pvp and pve gear is the same, but the system they designed to make that happen fails in every way. A better designed system could have allowed PvPers to dabble in PvE and PvEers to dabble in PvP without breaking the entire game.

Edited by Stellarcrusade

4.0 pvp gearing was genius. It was revolutionary and didn't take too much time. Because there were many pops low/mid pvpers could almost completely level up their characters doing only pvp. That was the golden age of SWTOR. 5.x ruined that and the game is in massive decay because of it.

Now with 5.x it takes 100,000,000,000,000,000 times as long as it should to gear for PvP, it killed ALTS, killed mid pvp, killed low pvp and 70 pvp is a joke now because it is only imp versus imp due to the imbalance caused. In a nutshell 5.x ruined ALL PVP and ALL ALTS. You choose a main character, play only that, and forget PvP, unless your main is a level 70 imp and you like fighting against other imps all day.

To be fair, I like that pvp and pve gear is the same, but the system they designed to make that happen fails in every way. A better designed system could have allowed PvPers to dabble in PvE and PvEers to dabble in PvP without breaking the entire game.

Absolutely this, and it will never come again :(

Ebon Hawk was probably the best lowbie pvp server for a long long time (ive played many servers and that one had the fastest pops bar none). I guess roleplayers make for rabid lowbie pvp aficonados eh?

That being said....

55 cap was the days even up to 60. When everything cost pretty much less then a mil and 5 mil for rare stuff . and when lowbie and mids popped instant

Indeed, indeed. Someone should make a private server set in the 3.0 - 4.7 era.

And then PvP will die on all the other servers :D I'd be the first to transfer for good with all my 16 chars.

Actually, I'd create a Frankenstein made of 3.0-4.7 gearing system and pre - 3.0 skill trees. Maybe reset everything back to 55 Lvl.

And of course I'd have scoundrel's/op's knockback on the opener.

:D

Edited by zhezvya