How powerful is Malgus?

DARTHOSIRUS

He comes across as very powerful in Onslaught, more powerful than ever

(spoilers ahead)

The Commander is probably the most powerful being in SWTOR right now especially if the commander is a force user, and when we fight Malgus he proves to be about our equal give or take. We face him with Tau Dair who is no doubt a very powerful Jedi and her apprentice Arn Peralun. If we are more powerful than Malgus it can't be by much or those 2 wouldn't be required. Perhaps they are just there to give us the edge, and the commander can actually beat Malgus 1v1 even with that being said the commander is by no means one shotting Darth Malgus in a duel

Once Malgus is down he even acknowledges the commander's power and the fact we were good enough to beat Valkorian/Vitiate.

I still don't believe the Commander is Vitiate's equal. We beat him in our mind, not in a straight up duel. A Jedi/SIth commander could be close in power to Vitiate, but it's hard to say. Malgus no doubt was always a beast though, and seems to have grown in power. Would love to hear your thoughts on this

Edited by DARTHOSIRUS

Or the whole plot was about him putting himself in a situation, where he can sustain enough damage, that they remove the CYBORG Bomb from his chest, and he could get free from Acina leash .

The 'Commander' isn't on the same level as Valkorian, (Or Vaylin, Or Arcann...Maybe Senya) .

They were all overwhelming in the force . We...have been using cheap trick to get by..mostly.

Revan was stronger then us, and we had to gang up on him with the best fighters and we didn't even kill him.

Malgus is nowhere near revan level, nowhere near Valkorian level .

He is cunning, he has experience , but he isn't that powerful.

I think Malgus assume we took Valkorian in a fight. We didn't . We used a Window Vista Password to get him to go POUF!

He got upgrade since his death on Ilum Flashpoint . We were just done killing our 'Master' . (and in some stories , we didn't kill our master *cough* Sorc*Cough*)

But I don't think cybernetic would give him that much of an upgrade toward force powers . It may make him more resistant, more sponging to damage , but I never heard of Cybernetic enhancing Force powers .

Hell the more I see from him, the more I feel like he gonna pull a Sion on us . As in, he is clinging to the force, and if he let go..he will die naturally.

We (The Commander) may have grown stronger since Ilum, or we could've residue from Valkorian being inside our head . But the story say so..technicly..we have nothing to show that we are 'Stronger' lol .

• 7 months later...

Plot armor has been the commander's number one power. As the HoT, or the Barsen'thor etc. the protagonist's abilities and prowess were much more believable. As the Outlander/Commander, things have felt much too convenient.

There are things happening in the story that suggest to me that Malgus wasn't on Arcann's level during kotfe and kotet. He is however, seeming to be, potentially, the strongest sith since the death of Marr and absence of Jadus. He is most certainly a threat to anyone in power within the empire, which makes it understandable why he has a device implanted in him to control him.

I think it can be safe to assume that Malgus is also more powerful than the alliance commander, and unlike Arcann and Valkorion, he won't be bested by plot armor -----> especially now that his control device has been removed.

Malgus overall is comparable with Vader in almost every way, with two differences. One being that he uses force lightning and the other being that he has a sort of tunnel vision when facing a worthy opponent. Pretty much all of his losses can be attributed to this tunnel vision. But being comparable to Vader means he is quite powerful and nearly peerless in the galaxy. Only a redeemed Arcann, re-dark-sided, seems to be his true match at this point. Arcann may not even need to be re-dark-sided to hold his own agains Malgus but he definitely would need to be if he wants to win.

• 2 weeks later...
It's called ludonarrative dissonance. Ludonarrative dissonance is a disconnect between the story and the game play. There are numerous examples of this throughout the game. We are said to be very powerful, and yet it takes the player and two NPCs to take on Malgus. Arcann and Vaylin are said to be beyond our power level, and yet the fight with them is easier than the fight with an Exarch on a Star Fortress. During one fight with Arcann my character took almost no damage, and yet when it came to the cutscene the story was that Arcann easily overpowered my character. The game play didn't match the story.

Plot armor has been the commander's number one power. As the HoT, or the Barsen'thor etc. the protagonist's abilities and prowess were much more believable. As the Outlander/Commander, things have felt much too convenient.

Not that I disagree really, but I always felt like the story after becoming the commander really hinged on the opposite of plot-armor, something like plot-weapon? Like, Arcann and Vaylin are just strong for no reason and therefore the story has to bul**** reasons as to why we can challenge them at all. Visibly Arcann and Vaylin never perform any feats that seem outlandish when compared to any other force user they are just strong *because* I don't even feel like the last fights with either of them displayed anything that seemed totally overwhelming, especially Arcann who was basically defeated by a normal zakuul knight shield.

Edited by JuventusAndFCK

The Commander is not the most powerful being in SWTOR. We defeat Valkorion with a trick, not by our own power. Without the holocron we find on Nathema our characters would not have been able to defeat Valkorion. In fact, that trinket is the only thing that saves the Commander from full possession by Valkorion. As such, I'd argue the Commander is not that powerful or strong at all. Definitely stronger or more powerful than average, but not the most powerful being in SWTOR.

On top of that, the Commander has help on every step of the way. Either it's Lana supporting the Commander, Theron or any other strong, powerful being. During the Valkorion fight, we get help from Dramath, Arcann, Vaylin and Senya. It takes 4 extra people along with our Commander to defeat Valkorion.

So no, the Commander is not that powerful at all. I think Force Users might be roughly on par with Malgus. Non Force Users would not be more powerful, obviously.

It's called ludonarrative dissonance. Ludonarrative dissonance is a disconnect between the story and the game play. There are numerous examples of this throughout the game. We are said to be very powerful, and yet it takes the player and two NPCs to take on Malgus. Arcann and Vaylin are said to be beyond our power level, and yet the fight with them is easier than the fight with an Exarch on a Star Fortress. During one fight with Arcann my character took almost no damage, and yet when it came to the cutscene the story was that Arcann easily overpowered my character. The game play didn't match the story.

Also, yes, this. Exactly this.

Edited by Ylliarus

Sadly as I re-play the story over and over, I will have to agree with the other comments.

SWTOR Team written story has given us no indication that the Commander is actually that strong... Beyond what the wiki says about him/her specially the force users... in-game sadly we never have had the screen time to actually show we are near Malgus, Arcann, Vaylin and even less so with Valkorion were we beat him apparently with help of others.

Don't get me wrong I love if at some point I can see all the history I accomplish with my PC lead to a point were the game and story acknowledges that we are indeed powerful, even a cinematic of us going full Vaylin, Valkorion or even a Palpating showing off our *OWN* power would be nice...

However as it stands now that's not the case, for now. Hoping for the future though! (fingers cross) :D

Now, you are saying that because the Commander has some people in there helping her/him that she is not powerful. Have you played the Republic side?

We have Malgus helping the Commander against Tau Idair.

If you are going to say the Commander is not powerful because she has Tau and her apprentice with them so they are not powerful than the same can be say on the flip side.

You can't say one thing and then use a different measuring stick for the other side. Fair is fair.

lol, all this talk of the commander's plot armour...

They all have plot armour. Characters are as powerful as they need to be, when they need to be, for purposes of advancing the narrative. Internal consistency died a long time ago (around the time the class stories ended)

The biggest problem is the commander can't be easily made super powerful because it would make no sense for a non-FU. They fudged it with Valkorian stuff before, but that's gone.

Then there is the narrative requirement that the next big bad seem even bigger and badder than the one before, and we get Malgus turning up with stupid plot powers and sinisterism after he should have died years ago.

Unless/until they split the story for FU and non-FU, this isn't going to change